The aftermath of Hurricane Katrina

Mabel said:
I know at one point there were open natural gas lines all over the city. It would only take a spark to set off a fire.

I think that is the most likely scenario. The looters are having too much fun robbing and raping and shooting people,why bother with fire too.

Michigan (my state) has offered to take 10,000 evacuees and home them at a military base near Battle Creek. The state also has offered some its National Guard aircraft to bring people to Michigan. The offer hasn't yet been accepted, although collections of food and other items are being made.

Does anyone know the answer to this question: Why don't we beach one of our many nuclear subs near N.O. and use it's power plant to provide emergency electricity? These subs can power an entire town, they need no petrol, only a small crew, and are available NOW! I know there would be engineering challenges, but so what? We have one hell of a problem on our hands. Providing gasoline powered generators seem to have their own problems, like where do we get the gas? The sub, IMO, could be integrated to the grid and sit there for years producing mega-watts of power-no pollution or transportation problems like you have with portable generators. Maybe someone in the Navy could answer this. We just launched the Jimmy Carter, a monster sub itself. This would be a good break-in run...mpi

I haven't read the whole thread, yet, but I have my own ideas for long-term housing (I know we're not at that point just yet, this is just my "what-if" thoughts for the future of all the people left homeless):

I would start building large communities of Habitat for Humanity and Manufactured homes in safer, unaffected areas.

Instead of large corporations donating money to any of the charities where it has to go through a bunch of red-tape before ever being seen, have bedding companies, such as Serta, donate thousands of beds to fill these new homes. Have Kenmore, GE, Whirlpool and Frigidaire donate refrigerators, washers, dryers, and ovens for all of the homes. Have Sony and Panasonic donate 2 tv’s and 1 dvd player per household. Walmart can donate towels and sheets, while Kmart can donate alarm clocks and clothing. CVS can donate toiletries, while Kroger, Farmer Jack and other food stores can donate canned goods and dry goods. Pampers, Huggies and Luvs can donate diapers and formula. You get the point. All the way down to the carpet and window companies to build the houses to the little details that even Pier 1 Imports and Pottery Barn, etc. can provide to make the homes feel warm and reassuring (lamps, frames, home décor, etc…).

Housing would be equal and the people would have an opportunity to begin again with the essentials for living. Those who were poor and those who were better off will all start on a level playing field. What they choose to do and where they go from there is up to them. There will be those who appreciate it and take care of their new homes, set out to find jobs in other areas and continue to thrive and improve their homes and surroundings. Of course, unfortunately, you will have those who take advantage and allow their homes to get run-down, don’t look for jobs, and go back to the criminal element and poverty level they had started out at. Unfortunately, you can’t control or change this.

It seems so simple in writing. If only it were.

This has been one of my “what-if-ramblings”. Be glad I don’t subject you all to very many of them! LOL!

SimonSays said:
I have no idea why Minnesota was asked. I haven't heard an update yet from the conference this afternoon in Saint Paul. I will be watching the news & checking online and will post as soon as I know. (Or if any other MN residents have heard, hopefully they'll have some input on why MN was chosen)

Sweetie, if y'all do take some in, and bless you if you do, be aware that down here, 45 degrees is "freezing my butt off" weather. If it goes down to 32 we make a big pot of gumbo and pray we don't have to go outside. And you ought to see a Louisianian driving on icy roads!! VERY scary.

Magnum PI said:
Does anyone know the answer to this question: Why don't we beach one of our many nuclear subs near N.O. and use it's power plant to provide emergency electricity? These subs can power an entire town, they need no petrol, only a small crew, and are available NOW! I know there would be engineering challenges, but so what? We have one hell of a problem on our hands. Providing gasoline powered generators seem to have their own problems, like where do we get the gas? The sub, IMO, could be integrated to the grid and sit there for years producing mega-watts of power-no pollution or transportation problems like you have with portable generators. Maybe someone in the Navy could answer this. We just launched the Jimmy Carter, a monster sub itself. This would be a good break-in run...mpi

I think it's going to be quite some time before the grid is repaired to a point where power can run through it. They can't just "plug it in" so to speak, and electrify the flood waters. I think it'll be many months before all of NO has power again.

Mabel said:
I think it's going to be quite some time before the grid is repaired to a point where power can run through it. They can't just "plug it in" so to speak, and electrify the flood waters. I think it'll be many months before all of NO has power again.
Yes, I realize that the grid is down, but it has to be put back in place peacemeal anyway. Transmitting power to a sub station (power station) could be done IMO, and we have plenty of crews to do the wiring. Think of the oil it will save also...mpi

I think if I could dream...
I would want New Orleans with its history, shops, resorts, nightlife (entertainment), fine restaurants. A place to be enjoyed and loved by everyone.

But no more residential areas, I wouldn't want to see this happen to anyone ever again.

Just a dream. What would yours be?

Sie Sie, I actually like your idea about getting donations and building communities. I would like to add national builders i.e. Centex Homes and the TV shows like Extreme Makeover to the list. Not only would the homes be sturdy and permanent but something to be proud of for the residents. A total rebuilding of life and life affirming.

Since New Orleans won't be habitable for awhile and considering the long term problems of a city being below sea level, I would suggest other cities that have pretty good infrastructures and quite a lot of land available. Baton Rouge, Lafayette, Lake Charles, Alexandria, Monroe and Shreveport. These cities are quite away from the areas most likely to flood (except Lake Charles). Then the people would be in their home state.

Beyond Belief said:
I think if I could dream...
I would want New Orleans with its history, shops, resorts, nightlife (entertainment), fine restaurants. A place to be enjoyed and loved by everyone.

But no more residential areas, I wouldn't want to see this happen to anyone ever again.

Just a dream. What would yours be?

I just posted something similar. I am very concerned about the ground saturation/below sea level and the way they build homes in the area. I also think it should be more of a temporary destination. I believe the corporate type employers will be relocating.

Yeah, keep the French Quarter (because it still hasn't flooded), let a lot of the land go back to it's natural state (underwater), rebuild the convention center and such, but make it a far smaller, far more tourist oriented city. Prohibit any toxic businesses from building there unless they can prove they would be unaffected by any future hurricane or flood.

:) I completely understand! I'm originally from Texas and I'm of the same belief that 45 is freezing my butt off too! It is so funny when people here find out where I'm from - they all have a sly laugh and say, oh just wait for winter, you're in for the shock of your life! I've been here during winter before, and it'll freeze your lungs to go outside. This winter will be my first full one of living here. :crazy:

kgeaux said:
Sweetie, if y'all do take some in, and bless you if you do, be aware that down here, 45 degrees is "freezing my butt off" weather. If it goes down to 32 we make a big pot of gumbo and pray we don't have to go outside. And you ought to see a Louisianian driving on icy roads!! VERY scary.

Without residential areas there is no one to work at the hotels, restaurants, etc.

My feelings are that anyone still alive should be removed from the area and the sea should be allowed to claim it, as nature intends.

I want to tell you guys, I find this thread quite uplifting. People trying to find solutions instead of placing blame (yes, I’ve got thoughts on that, too, but I’ll save them for another thread).
I’m not an engineer (in fact, when I was a kid, Dad said, “Deb, get away from that wheelbarrow, you don’t know nothin’ about machinery”!)
Anyway, I found these two pics. One is a satellite shot before the flood, the other is a diagram showing what areas lie above & below sea level. I thought it was interesting.
I put these two together in photoshop, but if anyone wants to see the larger, originals, I can post them.
This just kind of lets you know the logistics of how this city became so swamped.
dc5ziq.jpg

heavenlydaze said:
I want to tell you guys, I find this thread quite uplifting. People trying to find solutions instead of placing blame (yes, I’ve got thoughts on that, too, but I’ll save them for another thread).
I’m not an engineer (in fact, when I was a kid, Dad said, “Deb, get away from that wheelbarrow, you don’t know nothin’ about machinery”!)
Anyway, I found these two pics. One is a satellite shot before the flood, the other is a diagram showing what areas lie above & below sea level. I thought it was interesting.
I put these two together in photoshop, but if anyone wants to see the larger, originals, I can post them.
This just kind of lets you know the logistics of how this city became so swamped.
dc5ziq.jpg
My dream for New Orleans is that it become a place of beauty, peace and tolerance for all people.

There is already a history of many religions, many cultures. It is lush, agriculturally.

It has a tradition of "pushing the envelope" artistically. May all people's within the area completely thrive and may all that is good about the area flourish!

Update.......

Full story: http://www.startribune.com/stories/125/5595500.html

http://www.bugmenot.com

Sometime in the coming week, planes will begin bringing victims of Hurricane Katrina to Minnesota, which is preparing to host as many as 5,000 evacuees for a year or longer.

The Camp Ripley military compound will serve as the primary receiving point because of its existing housing quarters and medical facilities. But Gov. Tim Pawlenty, who announced the relocation Saturday, hopes to move people into longer-term housing within 45 days of their arrival.

"We're scrambling here hard to get these plans in place,'' Pawlenty said.

Pawlenty's Department of Education is helping gather school supplies, the Minnesota Housing Finance Agency is taking an inventory of available housing and the Department of Health is developing plans to screen and offer medical assistance to the victims.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency asked state officials to accept up to 5,000, although Pawlenty administration leaders say they are anticipating a smaller contingent, perhaps 3,000.

"They are us,'' Pawlenty said. "This is not just a natural disaster. This is a national tragedy and it deserves a national response and all of us should do our share.''

concernedperson said:
Sie Sie, I actually like your idea about getting donations and building communities. I would like to add national builders i.e. Centex Homes and the TV shows like Extreme Makeover to the list. Not only would the homes be sturdy and permanent but something to be proud of for the residents. A total rebuilding of life and life affirming.

Since New Orleans won't be habitable for awhile and considering the long term problems of a city being below sea level, I would suggest other cities that have pretty good infrastructures and quite a lot of land available. Baton Rouge, Lafayette, Lake Charles, Alexandria, Monroe and Shreveport. These cities are quite away from the areas most likely to flood (except Lake Charles). Then the people would be in their home state.
Sounds good to me, both you and SieSie's ideas. This is the kind of thinking that made the U.S. a great nation, not just sitting there waiting for our great leaders to lead us. These people listen to polls and $$$....that's it. Their paycheck doesn't change one way or the other..mpi

SimonSays said:
Minnesota, which is preparing to host as many as 5,000 evacuees for a year or longer.
A year or longer - this gives you an idea of the scope of this disaster.

How long did it take to clean up ground zero in NYC? Now imagine an entire city.

I just love Texas right now. Restoring hope to people is the greatest thing you can do.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back