WA WA - Anne Marie Burr, 8, Tacoma, 31 Aug 1962

It sounds like a classic abduction case to me. Nowadays an Amber Alert might have been issued, and with publicity and stuff they might have found her.

Ann Rule, who wrote The Stranger Beside Me, believes Ann Marie Burr was Bundy's first victim.

After reading that blog, I can see how it would be plausible for Ted Bundy to be the girl's killer. It seems like it would be quite a coincidence for them to live so near to one another and him not be involved. And if he was a peeping tom, he might have spotted Anne Marie and gotten the basic layout of the house through the window.

However, one thing bothers me. Could a 15-year-old kid who is a first-time murderer have the skills to abduct, murder, and dispose of a child with no clues left behind other than a shoeprint? Where could he, a 15-year-old boy, have put her body where nobody could find it in almost half a century?

Maybe they should check the grounds and crawl space around Bundy's old house there. I agree, I think it would be difficult for a 15 year old to do all that and the body never be found. However, Bundy was special.

Ann Rule claimed that a former classmate of Ted Bundy's contacted her once. Ted allegedly offered to show the classmate "a dead body." His classmate declined and the subject never came up again. This would have been around the time Ann Marie went missing. Ann Rule wasn't able to get any more info, though, because she said the woman kind of freaked and stopped writing her.

In that blog I mentioned earlier, there is a response from someone who lived 2 blocks from the Burr house when Ann Marie disappeared. One thing that is mentioned is a building at the University of Puget Sound, about 4 blocks from the Burr house, which was having its foundation poured later that day, after Ann Marie disappeared. Supposedly as Ann Marie's father was searching the neighborhood for her, he saw Ted Bundy staring into the excavation of the building. Some people now believe that her body is inside the foundation of this building (McIntyre Hall).

I just watched the A&E biography on Ted Bundy. By this time he was already an expert shoplifter, burglar, etc. It is also known that he could come across as very charming. If Ann Marie knew and trusted him already, it's possible he could have asked her to come with him, made up some story about something he needed her help with. He could have lured her to University of Puget Sound and committed the crime right there.

Moved from LTWH board to here for discussion, originally posted by Be Adequite!

Missing/cold case- WA state- Ann Marie Burr
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ann Marie Burr- Tacoma, WA
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/burr_ann.html
An 8 year old girl vanishes from her house in the middle of the night...Was she the first victim of a then 14 year old Ted Bundy, who lived only blocks from her home?...Perhaps one day we'll know the truth...

Ann Rule claimed that a former classmate of Ted Bundy's contacted her once. Ted allegedly offered to show the classmate "a dead body." His classmate declined and the subject never came up again. This would have been around the time Ann Marie went missing. Ann Rule wasn't able to get any more info, though, because she said the woman kind of freaked and stopped writing her.

It bothers me that Bundy claimed innocence. Killing a girl at such a young age and getting away with utterly would have added to the Bundy mystique, and god knows he was a huge fan of his own mystique.

I wonder if Bundy didn't see someone else kill her. Bundy was a night owl, maybe he was wandering around his neighborhood and came across Anne Marie's abduction and/or murder.

It bothers me that Bundy claimed innocence. Killing a girl at such a young age and getting away with utterly would have added to the Bundy mystique, and god knows he was a huge fan of his own mystique.....

When Ted finally started to talk about his crimes, he tended to speak in the third person and gave information as if he was an expert or consultant of the FBI. In the end, he did admit to some, but not others, even though others were found in the same places as girls he admitted to having killed.

One thing that these dirtbags often do is deny killing small children, even when it is known that they did kill them. This may be in some sick way how they maintain that "mystique" and a higher status in prison. Somehow prisoners look up to a serial killer of adults or older kids on death row, but have no respect or admiration for a child killer.

After reading "The Stranger Beside Me," I do think it's a possibility that Bundy could have done it. Ted was (and I still feel is) way different then other serial killers. A relative of his mentions a disturbing incident that happened when Ted was only 3 years old, so in light of that I do think it's possible that he could have been involved in this case.

That disgusting piece of information DOES sound like Ted Bundy. He was known to bury his victims in shallow graves and go back to visit their bodies. He applied makeup to one deceased victim and washed another's hair, among other even less savory things. If Bundy was 14 at the time and he did this, this makes me think she is in a shallow grave within walking distance of her house because it is doubtful that he drove at that age.

If the classmate went with him, she probably would have been his next victim.

I completely believe that Bundy was involved with the Anne Marie Burr case. Whether or not it was his first murder nobody may ever know. Every time I look on the Charley Project and see cases of missing women from the 60's and 70's, especially in the Northwest, but also in States that Bundy was known to frequent (Utah, Colorado, Oregon, California, and Vermont, I think ok, this seems like a Bundy possibility. Bob Keppel is convinced that Bundy's total victim number is well over 100. He wrote a great book about Bundy called "The Riverman" which was originally intended for Bundy to talk about the Green River Killer, but in reality was talking about his own crimes. Another great book about Bundy that many have not heard of is titled, "Ted Bundy: Conversations With A Killer", by Stephen Michaud and Hugh Ayensworth. The entire book Bundy talks about his crimes in the 3rd person. Not easy reading by any stretch, though

I wonder about the area near Anne Marie's house. According to the web site link posted earlier, Bundy lived three miles from Anne Marie's house, which is a pretty good distance if you're walking/riding a bike. I'm wondering, if he did it, where he put her.

As to whether he had the capability to do it, I do agree he did.

I wonder about the area near Anne Marie's house. According to the web site link posted earlier, Bundy lived three miles from Anne Marie's house, which is a pretty good distance if you're walking/riding a bike. I'm wondering, if he did it, where he put her.

As to whether he had the capability to do it, I do agree he did.
Someone mentioned earlier in the thread about construction (concrete being poured, I think) at a nearby university, and I'm pretty sure Ann Rule talks about some sort of construction/digging/etc. on the Burrs' street at the time in The Stranger Beside Me. (I'd go look it up, but my roommate is asleep! I can just see her waking up and wondering why I'm looking up Ted Bundy facts at 10:30pm.)

I suspect Bundy, too. I'm not surprised that he claimed innocence - IIRC, one of his few murders that he wouldn't talk about much was Kimberly Leach, his youngest known victim. Maybe he felt some sort of remorse with the younger ones that sadly he didn't extend to the rest of his victims.

It bothers me that Bundy claimed innocence. Killing a girl at such a young age and getting away with utterly would have added to the Bundy mystique, and god knows he was a huge fan of his own mystique.

I wonder if Bundy didn't see someone else kill her. Bundy was a night owl, maybe he was wandering around his neighborhood and came across Anne Marie's abduction and/or murder.

But, it all comes back to the stigma attached to child killers. It's bad enough to be a murderer, but once they get him for the murder of a child?????????????? it becomes a completely different scenario.

I go both ways - sometimes I think its too much of a coincidence for him NOT to have taken her, but then I think about the letter he wrote to Ann Marie's mom saying he didn't take her and wonder why if he did, he would lie. Better to just not respond, in my mind. Although, I doubt we will ever know the full extent to which Ted Bundy terrorized and murdered.

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread about construction (concrete being poured, I think) at a nearby university, and I'm pretty sure Ann Rule talks about some sort of construction/digging/etc. on the Burrs' street at the time in The Stranger Beside Me. (I'd go look it up, but my roommate is asleep! I can just see her waking up and wondering why I'm looking up Ted Bundy facts at 10:30pm.)

I suspect Bundy, too. I'm not surprised that he claimed innocence - IIRC, one of his few murders that he wouldn't talk about much was Kimberly Leach, his youngest known victim. Maybe he felt some sort of remorse with the younger ones that sadly he didn't extend to the rest of his victims.

Lynette Culver, age 12 is also a supposed Bundy victim, her body has never been found. I remember from reading Keppel's books that Bundy was very reluctant to discuss this case other than mentioning he had put her in the Snake? river. Bundy, like many, definitely had issues admitting to crimes on younger girls.

Bump

Anne Marie has been missing 49 years today.

It is very intriquing to think that a teenaged Ted Bundy could have been involved in this. It might be pointed out that Bundy's early attacks and murders involved entering residences while the victims were sleeping. Of course, these were in 1974 well over a decade after the Annie Marie Burr disappearance. Reports say that before his execution, Bundy admitted he first began kidnapping and murdering in 1969 when he would have been in his early 20's.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rxpb
Back