If innocent, would a press conference help Terri?

No! I should say not in my eyes. Seeing her at the first presser did nothing for me to show innocent. Her comments on facebook left me cold. I am just one person and I admit it not fair to Terri but it my gut and I would just being looking at her body language and cussing and throwing things at the TV. (just like I do with the Croslins and Cummings).

There is 1% that she might help me to lean toward her innocent.

Yep! I would not be a good one to sit on the jury of her trial.

This seems like as good a place as any to bring this up, since we're talking about TH talking to the press. TH is now living in her "home" town, where she grew up and graduated from high school, Roseburg. Roseburg is Douglas County's seat and has the biggest newspaper in the county, The News-Review. I find it really, really, interesting that there hasn't been one article in that paper about TH that didn't seem to come off the Oregonian lead or the AP lead. Nothing talking about how TH was when she grew up here, such as maybe someone saying, oh yes, I knew TH she babysat for me, or something like that, or even if it was something derogatory..... just silence. I know the focus is supposed to be on Kyron, but this is just another silence regarding TH that boggles me. And it makes me wonder if all the newspapers are now, since Kaine's demands on the press, afraid to print something. IDK, but Roseburg and the surrounding area is still pretty small town, and you'd think there would be SOMETHING out there printed. Hmmmm?

Look at the poll on whether people here think she's innocent or guilty. Overwhelming, with very little proof outside of gossip.

Look at how people who offer up reasonable doubt, point to how one thing could actually be another, are addressed here. They are considered "Terri supporters" or "Kaine and Desiree bashers."

There is no chance in hell there would be an overwhelming public change of opinion, and frankly, if she'd have said anything early on (rather than follow the team line and keep quiet like everyone else) it would still be talked about today as proof of her guilt.

It's a good question. Negative media publicity was a big part of her argument asking for a delay of the divorce proceedings. She/her counsel didn't believe a mental health professional could make an unbiased assay of her due to media reports demonizing her. Seems like a dose of Terri's side should be in order now that the divorce will proceed.

BBM. I want to clarify whether this was actually reported or is speculation. I can't remember seeing this and want to make sure. TIA.

ETA: The only people that should hear her speak is LE. Kyron needs to be found. They need to be told to concentrate on someone else if it's not her, or she needs to tell them where the body is, one of the two. She hasn't done either so far.

We don't know that she didn't do just that --- and LE simply doesn't believe her.

It absolutely would help her. Because, if she is innocent, I believe that would show.

I followed the Duke Lacrosse case fervently because my daughter attended Duke at the time. She lived in Edens and was subject to the constant media hounding and hate directed towards students going into and out of that dorm. This fact caused me to have intense interest in the case. Had my daughter been living in the same building with a bunch of rapists?

SMM is correct. The press conference when Dave declared his innocence was pivotal in turning the public perception. That said, perhaps Houze is waiting for the right time to use that as a tactic should she be arrested at some point? So, Terri may very well be, as some clever WSer once said, "Under Houze Arrest." Only thing is, the scrutiny remains on Terri. Were she to make a convincing statement of innocence, I wonder if some in LE might just start devoting more time to looking elsewhere?

IF Terri is innocent, Houze may be doing Kyron a disservice... MOO.

BBM. I want to clarify whether this was actually reported or is speculation. I can't remember seeing this and want to make sure. TIA.

I think that was in the motion for abatement.

No it is best for her not to speak.

Sometimes innocent people are convicted, and sent to prison, based on things they have said in public. They are misinterpreted, they didn't show the right amount of emotion or showed too much. They used words in past tense etc.

That's why she has a pricey attorney, to help her with her words....

This seems like as good a place as any to bring this up, since we're talking about TH talking to the press. TH is now living in her "home" town, where she grew up and graduated from high school, Roseburg. Roseburg is Douglas County's seat and has the biggest newspaper in the county, The News-Review. I find it really, really, interesting that there hasn't been one article in that paper about TH that didn't seem to come off the Oregonian lead or the AP lead. Nothing talking about how TH was when she grew up here, such as maybe someone saying, oh yes, I knew TH she babysat for me, or something like that, or even if it was something derogatory..... just silence. I know the focus is supposed to be on Kyron, but this is just another silence regarding TH that boggles me. And it makes me wonder if all the newspapers are now, since Kaine's demands on the press, afraid to print something. IDK, but Roseburg and the surrounding area is still pretty small town, and you'd think there would be SOMETHING out there printed. Hmmmm?

If I grew up with Terri, I know I certainly wouldn't be talking to the media, given the speculation of her involvement surrounding Kyron's disappearance. I value my privacy and that of my families, too much. Besides, discussing a younger Terri with the media wouldn't do anything to further the investigation into finding Kyron.

I might, however, gossip with other locals that knew Terri in her younger years.:blushing:

I think it's a double-edged sword. If she seemed sincere and convincing and showed genuine emotion about Kyron and her daughter it might help get her some sympathy. I don't think she would have to answer any questions about the criminal matter if she was afraid of incriminating herself. She could simply prepare a statement with the help of her lawyer saying she loves and misses Kyron, has been in his life since he was a baby, would never hurt him and wants him home safe, loves her daughter and doesn't want to hurt Kaine although their marriage has come to a bitter end, maybe describe whatever alibi she has already given LE and no further questions please. I don't think any of that would incriminate her terribly, she may already have told all those things to LE and a number of other people anyway.

But it could certainly work against her as well. To some extent, sincerity is in the eye of the beholder and some might not like what they see, if the tone of her voice isn't convincing or if the words of the statement are judged to be hallmark defense atty bullchit or if her body language invokes the same red flags it did in the first presser.

It might be too late for some people to change their minds sans evidence but I'm sure some of her defenders and the fence sitters would be more strongly on her side after a presser.

But I think she should have done it after the first couple of Kaine and Desiree pressers accusing her.

IMO she's following the advice of her attorney, which is smart. Yes, it's too bad NO ONE from the family was talking when this first started, NO ONE was pleading for Kyron to come home, NO ONE was pleading for whomever took him to release him and let him come home. IMO something really strange occurred between the four parents in this matter right from the get go. I've never seen a case where the parents weren't pleading for their child. At some point, we will all probably find out why/or who said "we shouldn't do that at this point". But for now, it's not going to get TH anywhere to profess her innocence or plead for Kyron's safe return. Perhaps some of the whackos out there might quit driving by her house, but I doubt it. JMO

BBM. It isn't enough to say "thanks" without acknowledging your post. ITA, and the fact that no one pleaded for Kyron's return in the early days of the disappearance are baffling, to say the least. This is just one of those things that I can't wrap my brain around, but maybe you're right about us learning the reason at some time in the future.

OT: That "cool electric project" still haunts me, too ;) I was checking out the Skyline floor plans again this morning because I wonder if someone (custodian, a staff member, visitor to the Science Fair, or even Terri) lured Kyron into one of the two "electrical" facilities in the school: Boiler Room or Mechanical Room, both of which might have access to outdoors.

If innocent, I believe it would go a long way in redirecting peoples' speculation and attention.

If guilty, she needs to keep her mouth shut. (at least if I were her lawyer, that would be my advice...then again, I only graduated from an ABA approved PARAlegal school, so...you know...)

That's why she has a pricey attorney, to help her with her words....

That's right, and Mr. Houze has advised Terri that "the less said, the better." If, and/or when we hear from TMH, her attorney will be at her side and will not allow her to respond to questions or comments that are likely to incriminate her. jmo

At this point, the only thing that will help an innocent Terri is the discovery of Kyron, alive and well and shouting from the rooftops that his stepmom had nothing to do with it. Otherwise, I'm afraid the die is cast. There has been too much rumor, speculations and just plain bizarre behavior atributed to Terri and the only way to clear her name is for Kyron to clear it.

The presumption of innocence doesn't apply in a civil case; only in the criminal courts. To suggest that Terri should give a press conference addressing criminal behavior SHE HAS NOT YET BEEN CHARGED WITH will only be detrimental to her.

Lindy Chamberlin of Australia spoke to the press of her innocence. She was sent to prison for 3 years for killing her daughter. You'll remember her. "A dingo ate my baby." The media played a HUGE part in her conviction.

We've all seen the absolutely incredible and immovable defense of a particularly acerbic talk show host who discusses crimes currently in the news defend and tut tut about the poor beleaguered father of a missing girl, even up to and past the day that same man was arrested on multiple drug trafficking charges.

There is no reason Terri should open herself up to worldwide scrutiny and media attacks from every corner. It will not serve her well, especially if she is innocent, given the current view of even just the two polls on this site which indicates that people (more than 60%) believe her to be guilty, and given that the things in those polls used to convict her are superficial at best (how she looked at the pressers, whether she's said anything, subjective "i've thought so since the beginning".....etc etc.)

It's almost a honey trap: If she's innocent, people say, she has nothing to fear. Only the truly naive believe that. Most everyone believes that whatever she says will be better than the silence FOR THEM, because it will give them more to dissect and disseminate.

To me Terri had plenty of opportunity in the beginning, to show how she felt. First off FB is where so many people express their feelings. IIR There were no statements to her friends, that her heart was breaking, can't eat, can't sleep, am beside myself with worry, I pray to God that Kyron is found safe and returned home. That is what FB is mostly about and Terry certainly used it as such before Kyron went missing. Second was DeDe interview with People mag. Not one mention from DeDe how Terry was distraught about the disappearance of Kyron, just about the fear of her safety, not his. She basically had that opportunity, in the beginning, IMO just chose to make it look like it was all about her.

To me Terri had plenty of opportunity in the beginning, to show how she felt. First off FB is where so many people express their feelings. IIR There were no statements to her friends, that her heart was breaking, can't eat, can't sleep, am beside myself with worry, I pray to God that Kyron is found safe and returned home. That is what FB is mostly about and Terry certainly used it as such before Kyron went missing. Second was DeDe interview with People mag. Not one mention from DeDe how Terry was distraught about the disappearance of Kyron, just about the fear of her safety, not his. She basically had that opportunity, in the beginning, IMO just chose to make it look like it was all about her.

On FB, Terri posted an innocuous "hitting the gym" and that three-word phrase was used to define her cold hearted attitude.

DeDe's lack of attention to Terri is being used against Terri in many different ways but the most often used is that it's obvious DeDe can't defend Terri on those things so chose to say nothing.

I'm not sure how, but Terri's fear of harm befalling her is used against her as proof of her cold-heartedness because her friend didn't choose to say something about Kyron's danger.

Again, I assert, there is nothing Terri can say which will NOT be used against her. Heck, she doesn't even have to say something to use it against her.

In the eyes of someone like myself, who believes Terri is probably guilty yet am not fully convinced, a televised statement from Terri could prove favorable for her. A mere assurance that what I've heard about her are lies wouldn't be enough, though. Ideally, I'd like to hear Terri recount her timeline that morning and explain what occurred between her and the landscaper that compelled him to make the MFH allegation. That'a real sticking point for me, so a sound explanation could go a long way. Of course, at this stage that's just wishful thinking on my part because it will never happen. The potential legal ramifications are too great. If she is innocent, though, and I could hear and see her talk about her love for Kyron and what he meant to her without discussing specific details related to his disappearance -- if I could hear her describe him as a little boy and relate memorable experiences they shared -- IF she is innocent, her words, her voice, and her eyes would let me know. I still might harbor some doubt, but it would sure help to steady my teeter totter.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back