GUILTY AZ - Six killed, 13 injured in shooting at Gabrielle Giffords event, 8 Jan 2011 - #2

By COLLEEN CURRY | ABC News – 8 hrs ago
Rep. Gabrielle Giffords has always been a fighter. For years, she fought for her causes in Congress, she fought her way through 10-mile-hikes and runs with her friends in Tucson, Ariz., and with her husband, astronaut Mark Kelly, she fought -- through in vitro fertilization and fertility drugs -- to have a child.
But on Jan. 8, all of that changed. Following the shooting of 16 people at a meet-and-greet in Tucson, Giffords fought to survive a near-deadly gun shot to the brain, and after that, she had to fight once again, for the life she wanted back.
"Difficult," Giffords says in her first interview since the shooting, with ABC News' Diane Sawyer.
Giffords still struggles for the right words to form sentences, a condition called aphasia that is common in brain injury patients. She has undergone months of intensive speech and physical therapy to try and rebuild the connections in her brain that were severed when a bullet entered just over her left eye, traveling through the left side of her brain.
"It's clear that any lower, it would've killed her, any further midline, it would've killed her," Kelly tells Sawyer. "If it crossed hemispheres, it would've killed her. Any further outboard, she'd never be able to speak again. Any higher, she'd never be able to walk."
Giffords' remarkable journey to recovery and the love story that brought her and Kelly together is the subject of a new book they worked on together, "Gabby: A Story of Courage and Hope." more at link: http://news.yahoo.com/humor-determi...an-gabrielle-giffords-recovery-221853645.html

Thanks for posting this Linda K.Just watched the show and it was fantastic.

I had no idea she was being interviewed. Does anyone have a link to the actual interview?

I had no idea she was being interviewed. Does anyone have a link to the actual interview?
It's being shown on ABC tonight, 10PM PST.

By Michael A. Memoli November 15, 2011, 12:26 p.m

<snip>
Obama, joined by the first lady, spent a few minutes at Giffords' bedside that day, each taking her hand and speaking to her, Obama saying the nation wished her well.

As he was ready to leave, Kelly addressed the president.

"Mr. President, Gabby really loves Arizona, and as you know, this community has a crisis on its border," he recalls saying.

"We've been trying to think what Gabby would want us to say to you today. We think she'd ask you to come back sometime and visit the border, to see for yourself the problems down there."

"Absolutely," Obama responded. "When she's ready, let me know and I'll come back." more at link: http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-giffords-obama-20111115,0,7724139.story?track=rss

This was a 2 hour special you can watch the first hour on ABC 2020. As well it was stated that since this interview she has made even more progress in the 2 weeks since Sawyer did it

It is definately worth watching for those that are interested.

By Associated Press, Updated: Thursday, December 29, 12:32 PM

TUCSON, Ariz. — Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, other survivors of the Tucson shooting rampage and numerous others will come together in the close-knit southern Arizona city on Jan. 8 to commemorate the one-year mark of that tragic day and remember those who died.
A number of events are planned that Sunday, although it remained unclear Thursday which Giffords will attend or whether she will make any public statements.
Other survivors of the shooting, including Giffords’ staffers Ron Barber and Pam Simon, plan on going to every event that they can. Others, like 76-year-old survivor Mavy Stoddard — whose husband died shielding her from bullets — plan on staying home with loved ones who will help them get through the emotional day.
“The whole weekend of the anniversary, I think is going to be tough,” Barber said recently during an interview in Giffords’ Tucson office. more at link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ge-in-tucson/2011/12/29/gIQAOgNsOP_story.html

Giffords visits scene of shooting for first time

http://www.kold.com/story/16469925/...of-shooting-for-first-time?utm_medium=twitter

16469925_BG1.jpg

Gabrielle Giffords and her husband, former astronaut Mark Kelly, stood arm-in-arm as they looked at the spot where the shooting happened.

Gabrielle's recovery and life today truly are a miracle. Bless her.

:)

New article on Loughner.

I have to tell you that being from this town and experiencing it very live that day, the local reporting, this whole tradgedy brought some awful memories of last year up again. Just posting the few articles above & after reading them, I cried again when I read them. Christina Taylor-Green & Suzi Hileman's retelling of that day just breaks my heart. Seeing Gabriel G. making progress is amazing. Her husband standing beside her is touching. Big hugs to all.

Mental illness is so hard to deal with. My heart & prayers for all the families stricken in this sad sad event. Loughner's lawyers need to let the doctors get him under control & not interfere with any progress just so they could get him declared insane. It's too early, he hasn't been on the medication long enough, jmo. JL suffered for a long time untreated from as much as I know, it's a wonder he wasn't diagnosed sooner. It can be hard for families to get their adult child into care but you have to do it. AZ has laws that will allow you to petition the courts to have your family member/child/spouse put in a lockdown facility up to 6 months (maybe more) if they are suicidal or could potentially harm someone else. It's flawed like many other things in the mental health care system, but it can be done. jmo

We also have a law where after a mentally ill patient has been declared competent, they will be tried for their original crime. I'm not sure I'd want to wake up to what I had done, but you should pay for your crime. I'm sure thought would be behind their verdict. jmo

Jared Loughner: then and now

http://www.kold.com/story/16463036/jared-loughner-then-and-now?utm_medium=twitter

Just received a "breaking news" email from my local TV station:

==============================
National Breaking News
==============================

Gabrielle Giffords will resign

Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords announced on her website Sunday that she will
resign from Congress this week to continue her recuperation from the brain
injury she suffered when shot just over a year ago.

MORE DETAILS: http://www.clickondetroit.com/tu/64T9Uol5I.html

U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords
Giffords resigning from CongressCongresswoman stepping down to continue recover from Jan. 8 shooting

http://www.tucsonsentinel.com/local/report/012212_gabby_resign/giffords-resigning-from-congress/
It is completely understandable why she is stepping down, with more important things to concentrate on, and a life with her husband without having to travel to Washington DC. She will remain in my thoughts and prayers for her continued recovery.

:)

Her comeback is nothing less than miraculous. It's amazing to see her speak that well after all she's been through.
Being a former Speech Pathologist, I totally agree. I also thought despite that, it was highly unlikely that she would recover cognitive function and speech to the degree necessary to function as a congresswoman... Sad, that Loughner did succeed in ending her political career, but at least he didn't take her life.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back