UK UK - Keith Bennett, 12, Longsight, Manchester, 16 June 1964

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jul/03/moors-murderer-ian-brady-seizure

His solicitor doesn't seem to think it's too serious, though.

The 74-year-old is due to attend a mental health tribunal on Monday regarding his application to be transferred to a Scottish prison and be allowed to die. Proceedings at the high security Ashworth hospital are expected to be relayed to Manchester's Civil Justice Centre.

It is not yet known if the hearing will be delayed as a result of his hospitalisation. Nelson said the tribunal "was obviously very important". He added: "We are waiting for a decision. We hope it's not going to be affected."

Why should he get to choose where and when he dies, and decide which hospital or prison he goes to from now on. He chose to rape and murder children, taking photos of their graves with his co-murderer sitting smiling on them, photographing the abuse of a ten year old girl then taping her dying anguish. He chose to do this when there was the death penalty, and so got lucky. He gave up his rights to pick and choose his place of death when he killed those children. We can clothe and feed him, get him medical attention if he needs it, but that is it.
lesely Downey's mother had not look at those pictures and listen to that tape, Keith bennett's mother has not known where her son is for fifty years. If you have ever been to saddleworth it is desolate, not the type of place you want your child to lie alone forever more.

Although it was very limited, I do remember their trial receiving some news coverage here in the States.

Starvation is a horrible way to go, I'm secretly hoping they let him off himself. I'd rather they spent the money on something more worthwhile.

Moors Murderer Brady's tribunal delayed (BBC News)
Moors Murderer Ian Brady's mental health tribunal scheduled for Monday has been adjourned because he is too ill to attend, a judge has ruled.

Judge Robert Atherton accepted Brady - thought to have had a seizure this week - was too unwell. No new date was set.
---
Judge Atherton said that while his condition was not life-threatening, it was serious enough to "preclude his attendance and proper participation in the hearing."
---
more at link above

My husband is from Manchester and grew up during the Moor's Murders, it still affects him. Up thread someone linked a video by The Smiths, up until he moved here he would give tours of anyplace mentioned in one of their songs-but not there, ever. He would not even tell people how to get there. Many of the people of Manchester are deeply affected by these crimes even today. Horrible.
And about Ian's human rights and the differences between law in the U.S. and U.K., every time I watch NG or a trial on HLN he says "But that would never be allowed in England!!".
Every time.

My friend Ian Brady: Religious studies lecturer paints a chilling portrait of the Moors murderer (Daily Mail)
Over the past 25 years Alan Keightley has met Ian Brady countless times and become his most intimate confidant. But he will never forget his first audience with the Moors Murderer, at the Ashworth top-security hospital on Merseyside.
---
For a few moments Brady fixed his cold black eyes on the palpably nervous Dr Keightley, whom he had invited to the hospital after the exchange of many letters about philosophy and the nature of evil.

Then, at last, he spoke.

‘How many instruments of murder do you suppose there are in this room?’ Brady inquired in his laconic Glaswegian brogue, casting his gaze over the few objects on view: teaspoons, mugs, and table. Then he rocked back and awaited a response.
---
Then there's this:
Brady, he says, has also confided many explosive secrets in him — including the extraordinary claim that he murdered at least three more unknown victims.
---
much more at link above

Slightly shorter version of Smiths song along with video:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bLJxoR1tH4"]Suffer Little Children - YouTube[/ame]
Saddleworth Moor (Wiki)

I bought that book forever ago, thought about it off and on, and it is buried somewhere in this house. I am on a mission to find it. What horrid "people" they were/are!

I had gone back and read up on this case. It haunts me!

Tragic mum writes final letter to Moors Murderer Ian Brady in bid to find son (Mirror)
The dying mother of one of the Moors murder victims has made a final plea to killer Ian Brady to tell her where her son is buried.

Winnie Johnson, 79, who has bowel cancer and fears she may not have much longer to live, wants the prisoner to end her 48-year hell over Keith Bennett.
---
In her letter to the killer, she pleads: “If you have got it in your heart to tell me where Keith is, it would end the trouble I have had for 47 years.

“I would like him found and buried before anything happens to me, because I am not getting any younger. He belongs to Manchester and everyone in Manchester wants him found.”
---
On [Keith's brother Alan's] website Searching For Keith, he said he had met Greater Manchester Police twice in January this year and passed on new information he had been given, hoping they would search the Moors again this summer. But he was told in May they had no current plans.
---
much more at link above

How unbearably sad, for years I have seen Mrs Johnson pleading for her son's remains. I wonder whether in Brady's warped thought processes, he believes that this still gives him a bit of power.

Wow. Big doings.

Breaking news: Arrest over letter giving details of where Ian Brady victim's body is buried (Mirror)
Moors murderer Ian Brady has given details where the body of one of his victims is buried, police said tonight.

The body of 12-year-old victim Keith Bennett has never been found, tormenting his frail mum Winnie Johnson who is battling cancer in a hospice.
---
Tonight a 49-year-old woman was arrested in South Wales on suspicion of preventing the burial of a body without lawful exercise.

Greater Manchester Police added that she remains in police custody for questioning.
---
more at the link

Not quite sure on the "49-year-old woman arrested" part. She would have been only a year old when Keith Bennett was kidnapped and murdered in 1964. Perhaps she later learned of the location and said nothing to police.

Northern Echo has a thorough story about today's events and the case in general:

Moors murderer Ian Brady "reveals location of victim's body"

I think she was a prison visitor and Brady told her in July.This must be breaking news in the uk and could be changed in the morning.My own personal opinion is that this could be Brady making a last statement from his death bed which might be true or another false lead.

If he really wanted it to be known why not tell a prison chaplain or officer.

I expect more will be revealed this morning.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back