IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone knows how to set up a thread in the basement, I'm listening to the "chatter" now and will be happy to monitor and post as I have the time.

Thanks ~Nikki
Very informative- thank you. So it is fair to say that it is unlikely they went there to swim? How is the access to the water and how deep is the water? Could one of the girls have fallen in and the other gone to assist? IMO I don't think this is what happened but I'm trying to through all possible scenarios...

Worst case if they were abducted as I believe possible by the purse being found on the other side of the fence which doesn't make sense- are the trees dense enough to hide somebody watching? Is the trail busy at that time of the day? Why would they be there in the first place?
Could the bikes have been thrown from the highway? And the purse landing on the near side of the fence? Why abduct two girls and their bikes though?

If anyone knows how to set up a thread in the basement, I'm listening to the "chatter" now and will be happy to monitor and post as I have the time.

Go to this link: Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Click on NEW THREAD in the upperish left side of the screen, give it a title, add a comment and it should work. If not, let me know and I'll help ...

To start a new thread simply click on the 'new thread' button (you may need the right permissions to do this).
Bottom left ;
Thanks for thinking of the scanner thread. It's a good idea.
radioreference.com black hawk county

The interstate and the Mississippi River are so close by. It looks like they could have crossed under the interstate to get to the river side of the highway. So I doubt they would park their bikes by the fence on the north side of the road if they wanted to go check out the river on the south side.

SBM & BBM

Surely you mean the Cedar River? The Mississippi River is a good 90 miles away.

The interstate is under heavy construction and down to two lanes on the north side, one going each direction. At times during the day traffic flows at the posted 55 and at other times moves about 5. Around that time, I would assume traffic would be at about 35 to 45. The fence is pretty tall, taller than an adult. It would be hard to get a vehicle back there without being noticed but probably not impossible. Their bikes were found right where the fence is on both sides to prevent you from getting into an area of the lake where there's some drainage stuff or something. It's not wide enough for a Vehicle to get through but it's also not very long until your past the fence on the lake side. Maybe 20 feet.

SBM & BBM

In Iowa, fences along the interstates are all 8 feet tall to prevent deer from attempting to cross the interstates. Every now and then a deer gets onto the interstate but for the most part, the fences keep them out.

Thanks ~Nikki
Very informative- thank you. So it is fair to say that it is unlikely they went there to swim? How is the access to the water and how deep is the water? Could one of the girls have fallen in and the other gone to assist? IMO I don't think this is what happened but I'm trying to through all possible scenarios...

Worst case if they were abducted as I believe possible by the purse being found on the other side of the fence which doesn't make sense- are the trees dense enough to hide somebody watching? Is the trail busy at that time of the day? Why would they be there in the first place?
Could the bikes have been thrown from the highway? And the purse landing on the near side of the fence? Why abduct two girls and their bikes though?

I would say its unlikely they went in to swim. You can very easily access the water but I'm unsure how deep it is. They had divers out again all day today and haent found anything.

Thy would be dense enough to hide but not much beyond that. Im sure it was less busy since it was during the work day but I imagine there were still people out there. If they parted ways where the bikes were found, they were probably just riding around the trail around the lake. I don't think the bikes could have been thrown from the road. The wooded area starts right before where the bikes were found is my understanding.

I hope that LE will be able to search the residences near the lake. Is the FBI helping the local LE ? This seems crazy. How do two little girls out for a bikeride on a summer's day vanish in broad daylight ? I am trying to piece together some kind of timeline. I wonder who was the last person to have seen them that morning ?

I hope that LE will be able to search the residences near the lake. Is the FBI helping the local LE ? This seems crazy. How do two little girls out for a bikeride on a summer's day vanish in broad daylight ? I am trying to piece together some kind of timeline. I wonder who was the last person to have seen them that morning ?

http://www.kwwl.com/story/19023342/evansdale-police-searching-for-two-missing-girls

The grandmother was the last person to see the girls at 12:15. She began looking for them around 2pm; police involved by 3pm.

So :

1. The girls left their grandmother's house at 12 :15 p.m. They went for a bikeride. Their grandmother was said to be the last person to see them.

2. When the two girls had not returned at 2 p.m. their grandmother started looking for them. It seems like a fairly short period of time,from 12 :15 to 2 pm. Especially if the girls had already eaten lunch. I wonder if their grandmother told them to be back before 2pm for some reason ?

3. LE began looking for the girls at 3pm. They are not calling it an abduction at this time.

A question I would have is : was anyone else in Grandmother's house when the girls went out on their bikes ? Were any neighbors of Grandmother outside, and saw the girls leave ?

If the girls were offered a ride,would they have accepted ? If it was someone they knew ?

ETA : It was mentioned in a news report that someone claimed to have seen the girls near downtown at around 12 :30. But I haven't found anything else about that sighting.

So :

1. The girls left their grandmother's house at 12 :15 p.m. They went for a bikeride. Their grandmother was said to be the last person to see them.

2. When the two girls had not returned at 2 p.m. their grandmother started looking for them. It seems like a fairly short period of time,from 12 :15 to 2 pm. Especially if the girls had already eaten lunch. I wonder if their grandmother told them to be back before 2pm for some reason ?

3. LE began looking for the girls at 3pm. They are not calling it an abduction at this time.

A question I would have is : was anyone else in Grandmother's house when the girls went out on their bikes ? Were any neighbors of Grandmother outside, and saw the girls leave ?

If the girls were offered a ride,would they have accepted ? If it was someone they knew ?

I dont think Grandmom thought they would go far one child is only 8 yrs old.
I think GM thought there were right outside and was alarmed when they were not!

But i do think they were abducted.
JMO

Two young cousins, riding bikes on a summery day, not a care in the world. They were last seen around noon, riding their bikes in town What could have happened that left their bikes abandoned, and a cell phone/purse discarded. Could the cell phone been snatched from the hands of one girl who was trying to call for help. Was somebody stalking these girls, waiting for the right moment to abduct them. Was there more than one perp involved, making it easier to "control" two frightened girls.
With the entire town alarted, it isn't likely that these girls aren't deliberately hiding out in some abandoned structure. Having drinking water would be a necessity, did the girls have backpacks or bike bags. These young girls should have been found by now, making the outcome appear hopeless and horrid.

I dont think Grandmom thought they would go far one child is only 8 yrs old.
I think GM thought there were right outside and was alarmed when they were not!

But i do think they were abducted.
JMO

Yes.But one of the girls' mothers did say that both girls were "outdoorsy " they played outside often apparently. Since they did take their bikes, it seems kind of unlikely that they would have been right outside their grandmother's house ? I think you are probably right it does seem like an abduction...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member