VT - Mark Hulett for raping young girl, Williston, 2005

Liz said:
Yep, Deb.

Also, thanks to Bill O'Reilly, who repeatedly sounded off about this ridiculously light sentence on his radio show and FNC's O'Reilly Factor.

It's a shame about all the ones we never hear about though.

True. O'Reilly was on it, even calling for a boycott of Vermont. Nancy Grace covered it just lately. Last night's show gives his statements from the latest hearing and the opinions of four judges:

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0601/26/ng.01.html

JUDGE EDWARD CASHMAN: The court grants the state`s motion to reconsider sentence. The Department of Corrections has now offered a sentencing option in this case that includes sex offender treatment (INAUDIBLE) prisoners. The court agrees a punitive response, punishment, is a valuable and necessary component of society`s response to criminal conduct.

~much more at link~

The first thing that came to my mind when I saw his pic was--YUCK!..Im an adult and I would never consider having sex with that thing. Shame on the parents for not caring more about themselves and the children in the home. IMO they are just as guilty.

He is even worse in person.For some reason the picture makes him look bigger.He is actually about 5'9" and very scrawny.

Some say the three-year sentence for child molester Mark Hulett is still not enough. They claim the case highlights a need for stiffer laws that protect crime victims. One of those people is the father of murder victim, Paulette Crickmore. The teenager who was raped and murdered in 1986.

Her father, Alan Crickmore hasn't talked about her death much in the last 20 years. But says he had to speak out in the wake of the Cashman Controversy.

"It goes by very slow. You think about it everyday," Crickmore said.

Paulette Crickmore got off her school bus nearly 20 years ago to cash an eleven dollar baby-sitting check in Richmond.

Not long after, the 15 year-old was forced into a car driven by Edwin Towne. Towne was a convicted sex offender, who had maxed out his sentence and completed sex offender treatment in jail. But two years after his release, he brutally raped and murdered Crickmore. Her body was later found by a hunter in Duxbury.

"I've always felt that if he had been kept longer my daughter might still be alive," said Crickmore.

Now, 20 years later, Crickmore's father is speaking out about the recent controversial sentencing of sex-offender Mark Hulett.

"It hurts. It hurts to see a sentence like that that doesn't do justice to the victims or the families," he said.

This is the worded transcripts said by Alan Crickmorehttp://tv3.wcax.com/n/mon6p.htm

http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=4431484

I'm glad he spoke out. Cashman was using the Toune case as a reason to give Hulett such a light sentence. Even when he resentenced, he didn't go far enough.

SewingDeb said:
I'm glad he spoke out. Cashman was using the Toune case as a reason to give Hulett such a light sentence. Even when he resentenced, he didn't go far enough.

Evidentally judge Cashman neglected to read the whole record of Mr. Towne.
Treatment didn't do him a bit of good. It was after he completed treatment that he murdered the 15 yr old girl. I still believe that judge should be booted right off of the bench. I doubt if the good potiticians of Vermont have learned a thing from that whole uproar. A lot of them stuck up for judge Cashman. Now if it had been one of their daughters who had been raped for 4 years they would have been singing a different song.

It will be interesting to see if they pass "Jessica's Law" in Vermont. I know Bill O'Reilly is keeping a close eye on that state.

Bobbisangel said:
It will be interesting to see if they pass "Jessica's Law" in Vermont. I know Bill O'Reilly is keeping a close eye on that state.
The rally for Jessica's law http://www.samessenger.com/13006.html

Yes he is keeping an eye on this state.Factor producer Jessie Watters is staying here until Kimball goes to court on feb 14th.

news link

BURLINGTON, Vt. -- A Hinesburg man pleaded guilty Monday to sexually assaulting the same young girl as a man whose prison sentence sparked national criticism of a judge.

Derek Kimball, 34, pleaded guilty Monday;
news link
Kimball pleads guilty to two counts of aggrevated sexual assault

Published: Monday, August 28, 2006
Derek Kimball, 34, of Hinesburg this morning pleaded guilty to two counts of aggravated sexual assault and one count of lewd and lascivious conduct with a child in Vermont District Court in Burlington.

Kimball had previously pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Court papers say Kimball engaged in two incidents of forced rape and forced oral sex with the girl. The girl, whom The Burlington Free Press is not naming because she is a sexual-assault victim, is the same child Mark Hulett sexually assaulted for several years beginning in 2003.

3 years minimum?

what a load of b*ll*cks that is. :furious:

MONTPELIER, Vt. (AP) -- A judge who sparked outrage when he sentenced a sex offender to two months in jail said Friday he will retire.

Vermont District Court Judge Edward Cashman didn't mention the case that had made him a target of heated criticism from lawmakers, editorial writers and national cable news commentators.

In January, he imposed the short sentence on Mark Hulett, 34, who had been convicted for repeated sexual assaults on a young girl.

Cashman, 63, said the short sentence was the best way to get Hulett the sex offender treatment he needed. But he drew fire from Gov. Jim Douglas and others who called him soft on child predators and demanded his resignation.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/J/JUDGE_SEXUAL_ASSAULT?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

Beyond Belief said:
MONTPELIER, Vt. (AP) -- A judge who sparked outrage when he sentenced a sex offender to two months in jail said Friday he will retire.

Vermont District Court Judge Edward Cashman didn't mention the case that had made him a target of heated criticism from lawmakers, editorial writers and national cable news commentators.

In January, he imposed the short sentence on Mark Hulett, 34, who had been convicted for repeated sexual assaults on a young girl.

Cashman, 63, said the short sentence was the best way to get Hulett the sex offender treatment he needed. But he drew fire from Gov. Jim Douglas and others who called him soft on child predators and demanded his resignation.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/J/JUDGE_SEXUAL_ASSAULT?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US
:woohoo: Let's line them all up. There have been so many judges who have given obscene sentences to SO's. Where's the one one who sentenced the 5 foot tall guy? She/He should be next to resign.

bakerprune64 said:
:woohoo: Let's line them all up. There have been so many judges who have given obscene sentences to SO's. Where's the one one who sentenced the 5 foot tall guy? She/He should be next to resign.
Right on!!!!!

Beyond Belief said:

There is only ONE treatment for sex offenders .... Its called a bullet.

news link
Cashman has been one of Vermont's most high profile judges for 25 years, deciding criminal cases primarily in the Burlington area.

He generated a firestorm of controversy early this year when he sentenced convicted child molester Mark Hulett to jail for only 60 days.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is a thread here devoted to the molester's 60 day sentence.

Here is a link for O'Reilly;
news link

Judge Cashman defends his decision to impose 60 day sentence

Here is a text of his letter; Dear Chief Justice:

Please be advised that I will retire from the position of District Court Judge at the end of this judicial term in April of 2007. I will have completed 25 years of service as a Judge, and 36 years of service to the State of Vermont in a variety of other capacities. I feel very fortunate to have had these opportunities.

I send this letter now, rather than in January, because 4 V.S.A. 604 sets September 1 as the deadline for announcing my intention to seek another judicial term. I did not want you or the others in the judiciary left wondering.

More at link.

The sooner he leaves, the better. Good riddance to bad rubbish, as the old expression goes.

That is one down and how many more to go? I wish all of the judges who have made decisions in favor of the sex offenders would get a clue and leave the bench too.

news link
BURLINGTON, Vt. -- A man was sentenced Tuesday to 12 to 50 years in prison for sexually assaulting a 7-year-old girl, the second man sentenced in a case that drew national attention because of the prison term given the other suspect.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back