GUILTY IN - Four Pelley family members murdered, Lakeville, 28 April 1989 *seeks new trial*

Thank you colette and ckwood32 (for the link to the book!). I'll add it to my reading list and revisit this thread once I've read all the articles posted and the book. Many thanks!

Jeff's mother had died from cancer, and the stepmother had also lost her husband around the same time. I believe it was a year or two before the new couple married. From what I understand Jeff wasn't fond of her. I think his dad wanted him to call his stepmother "mom" and I think that was too soon if ever for that.

Jeff did have a record for breaking in houses down the road, also a fact not well known is that another home on that road was robbed the weekend before the murders, a shotgun was taken.

The area is rural and gun blasts are very common, so maybe no one noticed. Plus most of the killing was done in the basement, keeping the sound inside. Only the dad was upstairs. The home is very visible from the road, right next to the small church. Easy to see if cars are outside or curtains closed, ect.

No one really knows the reason the family left Florida so suddenly, but there was talk of money laundering. Some of the Florida family friends had some questionable dealings talked about in the book.

I too have to add the book to my reading list. From what I've read thus far, I haven't formed a strong opinion either way. (Still more to read at the links and must order the book.)

Thanks again! :blowkiss:

Your link is from another prom murder from West Virginia of 4 teens, a cold case. The Pelley murder was of a father, stepmother and 2 small sisters in Indiana near South Bend. The son was finally brought to trial and found guilty years later. These are 2 different cases.

Here is a thread on this case of the 4 teens, I put your link on it:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...r-teenagers-shot-to-death&p=654487#post654487

I just finished this! It's long (20 episodes, 20-30 min each), but well worth the listen. As you said, makes you think!
Same! I just didn't like how it made it seem like it's either/or situation. I think the dad could have been involved with some shady people and Jeff was the murderer. Two unrelated things that happened.

Has anyone heard updates on this case? The podcast Counterclock has a compelling season about this case that makes me question the guilty verdict.

I just listened to the court junkie episode about this case and have now downloaded all the counter clock episodes. Looking forward to a deep dive.

Prom night murders: Jeff Pelley maintains innocence, seeks new trial

Earlier this month, St. Joseph Superior Court Judge Stephanie Steele set a hearing in Pelley’s post-conviction relief case for March, where Pelley’s legal team will argue the 49-year-old deserves a new trial. They claim prosecutors lied about evidence at trial, and that new testimony suggesting Pelley’s father’s illegal financial dealings in Florida may have been the motivation for the murder.

I would love to hear others' thoughts about his guilt or innocence. Personally, after listening to the Counter Clock podcast, I just can't make the timeline work. But I also wonder who else could have done it.
I also listened to CounterClock. Bringing the mob into this whole story kind of makes me roll my eyes. It does sound like the father knew some shady individuals or individuals adjacent to shady individuals, but would they really come up to Indiana and kill him and his family? He just did not seem like that important of a person to want to assassinate. I just think the son had more of a motive even within the tight timeline.

I also listened to CounterClock. Bringing the mob into this whole story kind of makes me roll my eyes. It does sound like the father knew some shady individuals or individuals adjacent to shady individuals, but would they really come up to Indiana and kill him and his family? He just did not seem like that important of a person to want to assassinate. I just think the son had more of a motive even within the tight timeline.

I agree and what are the chances that these shady people would come up to murder them the night of the prom?!? The car having trouble is what makes me sure of Jeff’s guilt. I don’t buy that his dad changed his mind, but didn’t repair the car before he left. It also seems crazy that a responsible adult would allow a teenager to drive said car on prom night without insurance!

Questions about blue jeans, Florida mobsters and criminal evidentiary standards are now officially up to St. Joseph County Judge Stephanie Steele as she decides whether Jeff Pelley should get a new trial after he was convicted of the 1989 murders of his father, stepmother and two stepsisters.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back