MO MO - Elizabeth 'Betsy' Gill, 2, Cape Girardeau, 13 June 1965

hello to everyone, this is an amazing thread, to moon and moo, god bless i hope you find answers, my whole family prayed for you and yours ...god bless
Thank you, rosario! We are very blessed by the love and support of people like you. May God bless you too, dear.

Thanks for posting rpipergirl. To all Websleuthers: If you ever wonder if you do any good from your discussions and investigating, let me assure you that you are making a difference in many lives. You gave the Elizabeth Gill Family hope and inspiration to go very public with our search. The first woman we compared DNA with, contacted us after seeing Beth's story here on Websleuth.com. Because of you we had Beth listed with NCMEC and started pushing the police to reopen the case. From there friends and family again started internet searching and actually located "persons of interest" from 1965. The FBI after 45 years of giving no help became actively involved - following old leads and developing new ones. So far DNA has been ruled out for 3 women with 4 still pending. I doubt any of this could have happened without this wonderful group searching for answers. Beth is not back with her family but we will never give up looking and praying for her return. God bless all of you and know that many are grateful for all your efforts. http://www.kfvs12.com/Global/story.asp?S=14180146
Any questions or comments are welcome. I can also be emailed at:
findingbeth@yahoo.com

Sister of Cape girl missing 46 years to speak in Jefferson City

[snip]

A Cape Girardeau woman whose toddler sister disappeared in 1965 will be one of two keynote speakers at the event meant to bring awareness to the more than 1,200 people missing in the state.

[snip]

Martha Hamilton, sibling of missing Elizabeth Ann Gill, will be joined by B.J. Spamer of the University of North Texas, who will speak of the significance of DNA and the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System -- an online database with information about missing-persons cases.

[snip]

Gill was last seen playing in the yard of her home on Lorimier Street. A search for Gill began 30 minutes after family reported her missing. The family continues to believe one of investigators' biggest leads, that a group of "gypsy travelers" selling purses door-to-door kidnapped Gill. The travelers used various names and numerous license plates on their Chevrolet truck, making them difficult to track.

More: http://www.semissourian.com/story/1736853.html

I have just finished reading this thread and my heart goes out to the Gill family.

Is there any current new on the search for Elizabeth?

My thoughts and prayers are with Moon, Moo and the rest of your family, that Elizabeth will be returned to you soon

Moon, your song was beautiful and a tribute to the love that you still hold for Elizabeth.

God bless.

Hi Moon, and all Gill family, I am a member of Beth's FB group. Such a wonderful bunch of people dedicated to finding Bethy. I wanted to send my love and support to you, I pray Beth is found soon.
Question: In regards to the motel, were all patron's looked into? I realize then they didn't have credit cards used the same as today but wondering if any names were given to you to search for Beth.
Big Hugs!

OK, I'll try this again...had a legnthy reply just go away without it posting.
No, LE were not smart enough to check all the guests at the motel....they didn't even talk to all the employees - just our neighbors...DUh! They were either convinced Beth fell in the river or were too stupid to know how to investigate a missing child case. It still amazes me that the case file just "disappeared" from the Cape Girardeau Police Dept! Makes me wonder if there was something in it that someone was hiding or they were trying to cover up their incompetence. The 4 people of interest were "gypsies' and staying at the motel...the police could never find them, though they had license plates and vin # on 2 new vehicles - a 1965 Chevy PU and a 1965 Ford Thunderbird. You'd think LE could have contacted Ford and Chevy to find any time the cars came in for warranty work. The vehicles were purchased in Lake Orion, MI. We - esp. my friend Roger, located relatives of these people last year. One has been interviewed 3 times and won't talk to LE - now she says she doesn't know anything - but in the first interview she had a very convoluted story - LIE- that tells us she knows something!!! 3 of the 4 have died and the last one has alzheimers. The one interviewed is old and not in good health. I pray she finally tells what she knows or Never Rests in Peace! Most of our leads have gone back to southern MI or to eastern PA. To be so close to answers but not finding the pieces we need gets so frustrating, but we're not giving up. I have some ideas on the next course of action, so don't be surprised if we are back in the news again. We've had so many "signs" not to give up, I'm not stopping now. Thanks for all your support and please join our Facebook Group: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/groups/findingBethGill/

Oh Thanks Moo!
Sorry you had repeat the motel details... Such a shame (dang) that the motel guests and employee's were not fully looked into. When it was mentioned that the Gill home backed onto or near the motel I thought... that's it, it's gotta be! Someone from the motel.
It is extremely suspicious that the file has gone missing, perhaps it was just misfiled?? Have you double checked on that Moo? Hate to say it but do you think if you offered some $ she may open up? You know, gypsie and all she might re think and spill? It is worth it, even if not over the top amount. I'd do anything to get her to talk before it's too late.
Again, thank you for this reply, much appreciated. :)

SK

FYI Sidekick - I did offer the "gypsy" woman money but guess it wasn't enough to make her come clean. I'm about to launch a campaign to raise money from other sources to make the reward substantial. If she won't talk there could be someone else in that family who knows what happened. Who knows who would suddenly have an "epiphany" or moment of recall if the money was right. If I can get a large reward it might just bring answers.

I'm about to launch a campaign to raise money from other sources to make the reward substantial. If I can get a large reward it might just bring answers.

Please post the information for sending donations to the reward fund!

Has there been any sort of investigation into the police department? Anything suspicious with any officers or clerks or anyone there? Just reading this thread for the first time and the fact that both files disappeared really stood out as odd.

Elizabeth's (Beth) case has always been a police involved case. Several years ago we convinced a Cape Girardeau detective, Jim Smith, to relook at information we had and keep the investigation going. He and I then approached the FBI. With info we had and what the FBI could confirm, Beth's case was reclassified officially from a 'missing child' to a kidnapping. At that time we had some good national media coverage, but like most cases, the media went on to other stories. Our local CBS station (KFVS12.com) has been wonderful in covering all they can on the story. We really need to get national attention again - especially in the northeast and southeast. Those are areas we have traced some of the 'persons of interest' to. I feel so blessed to have outlets such as this one to help spread the word. With God's help and those that have done so much for our family, we will find Elizabeth Gill...Please join out Facebook Group "Finding Beth Gill" Bless all of you who are helpingour family and others find answers they so need to find!
http://www.kfvs12.com/story/17160780/family-seek-new-clues-to-gill-baby-disappearence

http://www.semissourian.com/story/1836693.html

Thursday, April 12, 2012 ~ Updated 7:00 PM
By Scott Moyers

Search for Cape girl who vanished in 1965 continues with help of Florida private investigator

snipped:

...Gill's family has brought in private detective Mike Neverett of Sarasota, Fla., who is in town this week on a pro-bono quest to scratch away at the past in hopes of digging up clues about exactly how the little girl disappeared and -- hopefully -- where she is today, alive and well as an adult perhaps unaware herself of her true identity.

More at link.

I so hope this new private detective is able to find Elizabeth. Not a day goes by that I don't think of her and hope for her being found. There is a funeral home in Edwardsville, IL that is used by a bunch of gypsies from all over the country. Apparently back in the fifties or so, they had a death while in the area and the funeral director treated them decently so the head of the clan decreed that they would always use them. I don't know why I felt like sharing that, the Edwardsville Paper had something about this some years back. I don't have the article anymore. I guess i was thinking that if Elizabeth was raised and kept by them, maybe she comes back to Edwardsville with them for the funerals. Maybe 15 or so years ago, my husband and I were in Edwardsville one Saturday and saw a gypsy funeral procession (store owner told us what it was). It was something.

Anyway thoughts and prayers that Elizabeth is found soon.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_73db015c-87ca-11e1-b1c7-0019bb30f31a.html

Posted: Monday, April 16, 2012 8:44 am

Cape Girardeau family still looking for girl missing since 1965

Smith said information that he would not explain led him to interview an elderly woman whose sister and brother-in-law were in Cape Girardeau when Elizabeth disappeared. Smith also said that the woman's relatives drove a vehicle that matched the description of the one linked to the girl's possible kidnapping.

The woman told Smith they traveled the "flea-market circuit" selling purses.

Later, the FBI interviewed the elderly woman's sister at a nursing home in South Carolina, but she was suffering from Alzheimer's.

Unfortunately the travelling community is very "insular" by nature. I know that the children in the communities are looked after and cared for by all members of the community. I hope that the more exposure this case gets that someone (perhaps someone in the travelling community) will recognise that beautiful little face and come forward.

Never forgotten.

Elizabeth would have turned 50 last month...

Elizabeth Gill
Missing 13 June 1965
From Cape Girardeau, MO

Vital Statistics

DOB: 21 August 1962
Sex: Female
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Blue
Height: 2 ft 6 in
Weight: 22 lbs

Source
National Center for Missing and Exploited Children