The aftermath of Hurricane Katrina

Michigan was supposed to receive about 300 people (I think), but I haven't heard yet if we actually got the people, and if so, where they were placed. I, too, am very curious about this.

We are getting some families today in our little Arizona town. Will see where they will put them. I plan on paying a month's rent for a family. Perhaps helping set them up.

According to our local paper in NJ , the city of perth amboy is renovating an abandoned apartment complex to house 100 refugges familes. While this may not be the finest area its by far not the worst either.

mjak

mjak said:
According to our local paper in NJ , the city of perth amboy is renovating an abandoned apartment complex to house 100 refugges familes. While this may not be the finest area its by far not the worst either.

mjak
How odd! I live in South Jersey and heard nothing about it!

NJ is such a small state who would imagine such a gap between news flowing north to south?

tipper said:
Over the years I've lost confidence in both parties so a bi-partisan commission doesn't fill me with a belief we'll hear the whole story.

Well, I don't think we'll have to worry about it on this one....I just heard on TV - not a reliable source of information - that the Democrats will refuse to participate anyway. So it may just be a republican commission with a lot of other empty chairs.

Linda7NJ said:
How odd! I live in South Jersey and heard nothing about it!

NJ is such a small state who would imagine such a gap between news flowing north to south?
I have lived in both North and South Jerrsey and I can tell you the communication lines leave a lot to be desired. It Trully is bizzare. It was the Asbury Park Press which ran this article on its front page. The AP has now picked the story up and if you google perth amboy hurricane it comes up. I too would be much to afraid to go help out in North Philly!!

mjak

SieSie said:
Michigan was supposed to receive about 300 people (I think), but I haven't heard yet if we actually got the people, and if so, where they were placed. I, too, am very curious about this.

SieSie-

A few families are here. My sister has a website here with information about them, though it needs to updated. As of last night both families had received more donations than they knew what to do with.

poco said:
Will New Orleans and even some of the other coastal cities affected by this disaster ever be the same?

I am just sitting here wondering how many people won't return to NO. It will be months before things even return to a semblance of normal. Many of the people who have been displaced will begin new lives - get new jobs, new friends, possibly find new places to live - will they return? I believe I would count my blessings and start a new live elsewhere. What would you do?
They won't waste time, in doing the clean-up, and bulldozing most of the homes that were submerged, but I think the rush to rebuild will get bogged down by the government beaurocracy. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to throw good money, after bad, by rebuilding New Orleans below sea leavel again. Seems that the amount spent rebuilding New Orleans would be just about equal to recreating New Orleans in a different location. The French Quarter, where the buildings are above sea level, are one thing, but the remainder of New Orleans, built below sea level, is another thing. Hopefully they will spend some time doing a study, to decide what the very best approach would be, before rushing in, and doing anything.

In an effort to appease the masses, and help show that the government is (finally) doing all it can to help the survivors of Katrina, there are now close to 60,000 troops covering Louisiana and Mississippi, along with Search & Rescue Teams from all over the United States. So many in fact, that they are getting in each other's way. The response has gone from appalling (at the lack of federal response) to the ridiculous as now there are probably at least twice the number of support personnel as needed to do the original job. Plus, the way the government operates, you can rest assured, that it will cost us taxpayers at least twice as much, if not more, than it should have. Every catastrophe seems to be marked by huge amounts of waste, in men, material, and money, and Katrina may prove to have set a new standard as a complete government snafu.

Too little response, too much response. What's that old saying about pleasing all the people? :rolleyes:

On the other hand this morning I saw a brief clip of a doctor who was vaccinating people (I think in Miss.) at her own expense and she had yet to see anyone from FEMA or the state. Nobody had shown up and the area looked pretty well destroyed.

Linda7NJ said:
When I first heard they were coming, I was thrilled and looking forward to driving there and helping out. Rumor had it they would be staying in Center City or the Navy Yard.

Well, they placed them in an abandoned middle school in North Philly! For those of you not familiar with North Philly, let me tell you, it's a terrible, crime ridden ghetto, notorious for drug dealers & gangs, shooting all the time, murder rate is astronomical. It's the kind of place where no one wants to live.

I was wondering if the other states that took in survivors placed them in the worst areas or are they staying someplace decent and relatively safe?

I won't be going to North Philly.
In San Diego, we have 600 staying at SDState University - and at least some people saying they don't like it because they're all criminals and thugs and the students shouldn't be exposed (on the other board I read which does have some real nutcases) - I suspect this feeling, fed by the reports of what happened during the disaster, may be leading to the refugees being put in isolated or bad areas. I've heard of at least one other group being placed somewhere very, very isolated.

tipper said:
On the other hand this morning I saw a brief clip of a doctor who was vaccinating people (I think in Miss.) at her own expense and she had yet to see anyone from FEMA or the state. Nobody had shown up and the area looked pretty well destroyed.
Despite the huge number of support personnel; the response is still not well organized. It's overkill in many areas, while other areas, as you mentioned, haven't had any support yet. Perhaps the news media, who seem very adept at locating these unresponded-to-areas will serve that purpose in this disaster. It doesn't seem as if it should take that long to have this rescue/support effort to get organized, but then again the government is involved and they seem to manage to do this frequently.

During 9-11 I worked for Toshiba. As I recall, Toshiba gave $50,000 to the relief effort, AND donated 1,500 laptop computers to the disaster workers in NYC. They received NO credit for this from the news media.

I also remember Coors donating thousands of bottles of water to NYC.

I'm not saying that corporate America is doing nothing in this crisis, but if they are, we aren't hearing about it.

I would like the media encourage businesses to contribute their products that could be used, with credit-free advertising- being given to those companies highlighting what they are donating. This would be a win-win situation. Companies get a tax deduction, and advertising for their products by putting them in the hands of the users. Those in need would get the things they need to sustain life.

Procter & Gamble could contribute diapers, wipes, soap, etc.

Home Depot could contribute building supplies.

Arrowhead could give bottled water.

You get the idea.

Now I know money is needed, and the American people have been very generous in opening their wallets. But color me suspicious, money can be mis-used. Why should the Red Cross or FEMA have to BUY bottled water, food, clothes, etc. and probably pay market or above-market prices for these goods? Why can't the companies that manufacture and sell these supplies DONATE a portion?

SieSie said:

3 families are at the Best Western Inn in Sterling Hts - not bad accomodations at all. 200 evacuues are at the Ramada Inn in Southfield, also a nice place. If you go to ClickonDetroit.com you can see what they're looking for in the way of donations - clothing sizes and hygiene products.

Michigan offered to take as many as 10,000 people at the Fort Custer Training center in Battle Creek but, as far as I know, that offer hasn't yet been accepted. It's also a decent area, my husband trained there years ago.

EDIT: Oh, I see from Amanda's post that almost 300 evacuees have arrived in Battle Creek, no word if more are expected.

Pepper said:
During 9-11 I worked for Toshiba. As I recall, Toshiba gave $50,000 to the relief effort, AND donated 1,500 laptop computers to the disaster workers in NYC. They received NO credit for this from the news media.

I also remember Coors donating thousands of bottles of water to NYC.

I'm not saying that corporate America is doing nothing in this crisis, but if they are, we aren't hearing about it.

I would like the media encourage businesses to contribute their products that could be used, with credit-free advertising- being given to those companies highlighting what they are donating. This would be a win-win situation. Companies get a tax deduction, and advertising for their products by putting them in the hands of the users. Those in need would get the things they need to sustain life.

Procter & Gamble could contribute diapers, wipes, soap, etc.

Home Depot could contribute building supplies.

Arrowhead could give bottled water.

You get the idea.

Now I know money is needed, and the American people have been very generous in opening their wallets. But color me suspicious, money can be mis-used. Why should the Red Cross or FEMA have to BUY bottled water, food, clothes, etc. and probably pay market or above-market prices for these goods? Why can't the companies that manufacture and sell these supplies DONATE a portion?
Off hand I know my sister told me she handled 10's of thousand of meals donated by Outback Steakhouse. I think they are Cocoa cola..so there was probably some drinks too!

Buzzm1 said:
They won't waste time, in doing the clean-up, and bulldozing most of the homes that were submerged, but I think the rush to rebuild will get bogged down by the government beaurocracy. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to throw good money, after bad, by rebuilding New Orleans below sea leavel again. Seems that the amount spent rebuilding New Orleans would be just about equal to recreating New Orleans in a different location. The French Quarter, where the buildings are above sea level, are one thing, but the remainder of New Orleans, built below sea level, is another thing. Hopefully they will spend some time doing a study, to decide what the very best approach would be, before rushing in, and doing anything.
They raised the elevation of Galveston, and that was in the early 1900s. I think they can do the same with N.O.

http://www.1900storm.com/rebuilding/index.lasso:

It's impossible to stand anywhere in the historical parts of Galveston and get exactly the same perspective a viewer would have gotten 100 years ago.

Everything is higher than it was back then, and some spots are much higher.

The feat of raising an entire city began with three engineers hired by the city in 1901 to design a means of keeping the gulf in its place.

Along with building a seawall, Alfred Noble, Henry M. Robert and H.C. Ripley recommended the city be raised 17 feet at the seawall and sloped downward at a pitch of one foot for every 1,500 feet to the bay.

The first task required to translate their vision into a working system was a means of getting more than 16 million cubic yards of sand - enough to fill more than a million dump trucks - to the island, according to McComb.

The solution was to dredge the sand from Galveston's ship channel and pump it as liquid slurry through pipes into quarter-square-mile sections of the city that were walled off with dikes.

Their theory was that as the water drained away the sand would remain.

Before the pumping could begin, all the structures in the area had to be raised with jackscrews. Meanwhile, all the sewer, water and gas lines had to be raised.

McComb wrote that some people even raised gravestones and some tried to save trees, but most of the trees died. In the old city cemeteries along Broadway, some of the graves are three deep because of the grade raising.

The city paid to move the utilities and for the actual grade raising, but each homeowner had to pay to have the house raised.

By 1911, McComb wrote, 500 city blocks had been raised, some by just a few inches and others by as much as 11 feet.

JBean said:
Off hand I know my sister told me she handled 10's of thousand of meals donated by Outback Steakhouse. I think they are Cocoa cola..so there was probably some drinks too!
I'm sure corporations are donating things other than money, but the media needs to make sure we all know about it!

Wal-Mart has, in many cities, opened the doors to the stores in the areas affected and has allowed people to come in and take what they need.

Telephone companies are donating about two million dollars worth of free long distance.

Airlines are donating seats so that people can get to families in other areas of the country.

Pet food companies are donating hundreds of thousands of pounds of pet food to the animals affected.

The American Bar Association is calling for ALL American attorneys to donate their legal services for ANYTHING that the victims need by way of legal services.

This is just what I've heard about in the free hour I've got to watch television before I went to sleep last night. I'm pretty sure that this is the very tip of the iceburg.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back