GUILTY UT - Troy Knapp, mountain man, burglary & weapon charges, 2007

Hmmmm, maybe he knew the people where he defecated? And perhaps the more personal statement, "get off my mountain" is a clue to his home turf? I immediately wonder if there's been development that is a little over the top for the region? (Like an 8,000 square foot luxury home in A-frame cabin world?) He seems a little more protective of certain areas-- that's a clue to who he is, imo, rather than why he's a menace.

I'm curious, Peli, what are you sensing about this guy?

And thanks, Gitana, for posting those Steven Kocher pics-- he looks so young! Of course, living like a mountainman would add some grizzle. I don't know... the way he went missing doesn't smell of a call to the wild, but he was certainly within the southern Utah regions.

It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out, I just hope there's not any violence between folks due to "time bomb" statement. :mad:

I don't think he looks like Steven Kercher at all. And I would never believe someone "harmless" if that someone breaks into other persons homes (whether these homes are occupied or not).

About mountain man. Wouldn't you expect that a guy who was living in the rough, living away from society, living in a very cold area would have long hair? In the picture at least I am not seeing long hair. Also most men living in a very cold environment in the winter time would let their beards grow, because all that hair does provide some protection from the cold. The beard will usually get quite thick, long and bushy.

I am beginning to suspect that maybe this guy might be like a weekend 'survivalist'. That maybe he isn't as isolated as he seems, and maybe does the camping thing on weekends or just in winter. And maybe the rest of the time he is living in civilization.

That could also explain why he hasn't been seen out in the woods in the summer when there would be more people around.

2040567030045078242S600x600Q85.jpg

He’s eluded authorities for more than five years, a mountain man who roams the wilderness of southern Utah, breaking into remote cabins in winter, living in luxury off hot food, alcohol and coffee before stealing provisions and vanishing into the woods.

Investigators have clawed for clues, scouring cabins for fingerprints that match no one and chasing reports of brief encounters only to come up short, always a step behind the mysterious recluse.

They’ve found abandoned camps, dozens of guns, high-end outdoor gear stolen from the homes and trash strewn around the forest floor.

Authorities say the man is armed and dangerous and responsible for more than two dozen burglaries. He has continued to outrun the law across a swath of mountains not far from Zion National Park. He’s roamed across 1,000 square miles of rugged wilderness where snow can pile 10 feet deep in winter.

Read More:
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/53535919-78/cabin-cabins-owners-utah.html.csp?page=1

We had a very similar thing happen in New Mexico in the Jemez Mountains a few years ago. We called him "The Cookie Bandit" because he would break into people's cabins and steal food, blankets, etc. Often he would fix himself a pot of coffee. We all thought he was harmless. Until one day he got in a shooting battle with a cop inside a cabin. They both were killed. The Cookie Bandits fingerprints were run and it linked him to 3 murders - 2 in Canada and 1 in New Mexico. Based on his history, they think he may have been linked to other murders as well.

http://www.koat.com/news/20119063/detail.html

These kind of people really scare me now.

I'm curious, Peli, what are you sensing about this guy?

Hello my friend Quiche, I'm pasting a quote from a story about war vets whom live in the mountains. Nobody really knows how many or where. I really had to look at this mans picture a few times because he looked like a friend I had whom was a former military sniper. Anyway, don't think it's him but I sense no danger. Just using vacant cabins for some comfort. I'd doubt he'd approach a cabin if he thought it had occupants. If he did make contact I'd suspect he had many stories to tell.

My friend would have been a Vietnam vet, To my knowledge the youngest Vietnam vet should be around 60 if my math is correct. Now we have Iraq and Afghanistan which probably has a share of vets too.

From the Link...

"Ed and Linda live in the mountains of northeastern Washington, just a few miles from the Canadian border.

This remote, wooded land is home to many Vietnam-era veterans who came here from around the country for refuge, quiet and the support they felt they did not get upon their return to mainstream society.

They are sometimes called ‘trip-wire’ vets because, like a trip-wired bomb, they can be easy to set off. It’s impossible to say for sure how many there are in Washington, much less across the country. In this sparsely populated 500-square-mile area of northern Okanogan County, Ed estimates there are up to 1,000 veterans living in seclusion in the mountains."

http://apartfromwar.news21.com/stories/gift-given-veteran

"John Driscoll, president and CEO of the National Coalition for Homeless Veterans, said that many Vietnam-era veterans retreated to the woods because there was nowhere else to go. There are other isolated communities in the upper Midwest, the Gulf Coast, the Southwest and Upstate New York, he said."

1. No problem with this guy trespassing, using cabins, etc. The conflict between private ownership and the natural rights of someone who appreciates his or her surroundings is as American as the first stanza of Robert Frost's "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening":

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village, though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow

2. Big problems with shooting up cabins, defacing religious images. Thus his being perceived as a "time bomb."

1. No problem with this guy trespassing, using cabins, etc. The conflict between private ownership and the natural rights of someone who appreciates his or her surroundings is as American as the first stanza of Robert Frost's "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening":

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village, though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow

2. Big problems with shooting up cabins, defacing religious images. Thus his being perceived as a "time bomb."

BBM - Very true, he'd be bringing it on himself however some combat vets whom have had friends killed next to them in fire fights may ask "What God?" I'm just saying..

does anyone know if a dna sample was taken from the poop?

Quiche to some extent I can agree with you. But with this guy, he has been showing some anti social behaviors in that he has vandalized some cabins, defacating in a pan in one cabin. I think that is what has led to the concern that he may be a "time bomb."

More than not he's had military training. Since LE have his DNA^^^ now, does the military keep everyones on file for a possible match?

Since this has been going on for 5 years, no chance of it being Koecher; but there was talk and discovery of young militia groups in the St. George area.

More than not he's had military training. Since LE have his DNA^^^ now, does the military keep everyones on file for a possible match?

Since this has been going on for 5 years, no chance of it being Koecher; but there was talk and discovery of young militia groups in the St. George area.

bbm
that was my next thought. the project 7 guys i think are all out of prison now, this guy http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=78753 is the most well known (obviosly none are our guy, too old i think). i wonder if any of his comrades were never indicted and skipped town. can you put up the news article link to the local militia groups?
thanks!

Authorities ID mountain man sought in burglaries

http://www.centurylink.net/news/rea...ws_id=18832000&src=most_popular_viewed&page=1

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Troy James Knapp is a wanted man, a mountain recluse authorities say is responsible for more than two dozen cabin burglaries in the remote southern Utah wilderness. He's considered armed and dangerous, a ticking time bomb.

It took at least three years for authorities to identify him from fingerprints lifted from vacation homes near Zion National Park.

Now, they just have to catch him. Knapp remains somewhere in roughly 1,000 square miles of wilderness, a virtual ghost in the woods stocked with stolen gear, food and guns.

"This guy is probably about as true a survivalist as Davy Crockett," Supervisory Deputy U.S. Marshal Michael Wingert told The Associated Press.

Authorities have so far revealed little about the 44-year-old Knapp or how he ended up wandering the mountains of southern Utah. They identified him Tuesday and asked the public for help in finding him.

Knapp has family members in Moscow, Idaho, but phone messages left for them Tuesday evening were not returned.

Just last week, detectives in Iron County said investigators hadn't made a definite identification but were getting close. However, court records indicate charges were filed against Knapp in neighboring Kane County about three weeks ago as the key suspect in the serial burglaries.

More at link....

CBS/AP) MANTI, Utah - Troy Knapp, an elusive survivalist dubbed the "Mountain Man" by cabin owners for allegedly burglarizing dozens of mountain cabins in Utah, was captured Tuesday after evading police for six years, authorities said.

Knapp, 45, was taken into custody in the snowy mountains outside of Ferron in central Utah after firing several shots at officers and a helicopter, authorities said. He was booked into Sanpete County jail Tuesday evening.

Sanpete County Sheriff Brian Nielson said no one was hit before Knapp was captured, who tried to flee on snowshoes from dozens of officers who converged on snowmobiles and a snowcat. There was nearly 4 feet of snow at the 9,200 feet elevation.

Authorities said Knapp was armed with several rifles and one handgun. He was also wearing camouflage clothes and sporting a red beard with some gray.

"He was severely outgunned at the time," Nielson said. "He ran into a number of officers that were also well armed and he could see that he was out of his league."

After surrendering, Knapp was cooperative and talkative with police, showing them on a map everywhere he has been and telling them he was relieved to be out of the winter elements. He was captured in an area about 180 miles north of the site where detectives believed he was a year ago.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...lleged-utah-cabin-burglaries-authorities-say/

How the Cops Finally Captured Cabin-Robbing ‘Mountain Man’ Troy Knapp After a Decade in the Wilderness (Gawker)
Until Monday, almost no one had seen Troy Knapp in nine years. The tattooed, red-haired drifter had more or less disappeared in 2004, after the latest in a string of prison stints, and the number of people who had laid their eyes on him—let alone spoken with him—could be counted on two hands.

Where was Knapp for that decade? Roaming across thousands of miles of wilderness, surviving off the land—and off of the area's many weekend cabins, which he'd break into and steal supplies from, sometimes leaving mocking notes with swastikas doodled in the margin.

Knapp, 45, was arrested on Tuesday, the culmination of a seven-year manhunt, in a collaborative effort between several different law enforcement agencies. "He was severely outgunned at the time," Sanpete County Sheriff Brian Nielson told reporters. "He ran into a number of officers that were also well armed and he could see that he was out of his league."
---
"I envy the sights he's seen, the sunsets, and animals," Sevier County sheriff Nathan Curtis told Baynham. "I bet he's seen things most people never will."
much more, with links, at link above

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genepool48
Back