DC DC - Chandra Levy, 24, Washington DC, 1 May 2001 *found deceased in 2002*

ThoughtFox said:
I'm so glad this thread still exists! Chandra was my first real obsession over a case, and I wish something would break with Condit, the louse! :(

At any rate, I came across this transcript from a show Dan Abrams did on Tuesday night about the case:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6817768/

'The Abrams Report' for Jan. 11

Read the transcript to the 6 p.m. ET show
Updated: 1:46 p.m. ET Jan. 12, 2005

ABRAMS: Hi everyone. Former congressman Gary Condit denies under oath that he ever had a quote—“romantic relationship” with former Washington intern Chandra Levy. Remember this case was all over the headlines for months as family, friends, authorities franticly searched for Chandra after she was reported missing from a Washington, D.C. apartment.

Then, over a year after she disappeared, as the investigation seemed to have come to a dead end, her body found in a local park about four miles away from her home. But still, no suspects announced, and seemingly to this day, no breaks in the case. Former Congressman Gary Condit‘s name constantly associated with the case. Some of the tabloids even suggested he may have been involved even though it now seems there was no evidence to support that and many of them have settled lawsuits filed by Condit.

Nevertheless, there was a distinct impression from Levy‘s aunt and the questions Condit would not answer that he and Chandra had been more than just friends. In a moment we discuss whether Gary Condit got a raw deal on the whole in this whole case. But first now nearly four years after her disappearance, an exclusive deposition tapes obtained by NBC News, Gary Condit provides his side of the story. The tapes are sections from a deposition in an $11 million defamation suit Condit has filed against well-known author Dominick Dunne over some of his reporting in the Levy case.

Katie Couric has the story. . .

~~~More at Link~~~

Note: For some unknown reason, the transcriber of this piece put "Unidentified Male" instead of "Gary Condit" - so it is sort of confusing, but that is who is speaking.

I am frustrated that it sounds as if Condit is off the hook! That just isn't right, when he was involved with her and she had told her aunt about him!
I was under the impression, he finally fessed up the LE, after they questioned him for the fourth time? What gives?

Sprocket, ask D. Dunne what he thinks and maybe he fill you in on the lawsuit. Chandra was my first obsessive forum too, oh, the old Modbee days, what a wild forum before they shut it down. By accident ran into woman from Modesto today who thought it was terrible what media did to Condit, saying he did nothing wrong, because he was a preacher's son - she also said Scott was innocent, enough said.

peggy said:
Sprocket, ask D. Dunne what he thinks and maybe he fill you in on the lawsuit. Chandra was my first obsessive forum too, oh, the old Modbee days, what a wild forum before they shut it down. By accident ran into woman from Modesto today who thought it was terrible what media did to Condit, saying he did nothing wrong, because he was a preacher's son - she also said Scott was innocent, enough said.
Did you use to read the "Where'sChandra site, before the sponsors took it down? RD resurected it, lol!

You have to understand, that I don't have a "relationship" with Mr. Dunne, where I can just walk up to him, and ask him a bunch of questions about his legal troubles. :D

River said:
Does anyone know any updates on this case? It seems so unfair that the Levy's still haven't gotten justice for their daughter!

Hello River, I just began reading here tonight because I received a private message from Pepper, so after I replied to her message (hope I have that right) I began reading the messages here, and I saw the dates 1/11/2004. but I am a Chandra Levy case nut, so I thought I was reading 1/11/2005. Oh well, no matter, there are things going on in the Chandra Levy case, and much of what is going on seems to refer right back to the messages posted here.

Where I post most of the time, at www.justiceforchandra.com, we are watching with interest anything that we see about the Gary Condit v. Dominick Dunne civil lawsuit. In fact I saw the first hour of Dunnes new Court TV show at 8PM on Wednesday of last week. I did not get to watch his show this week. That is the same Dunne that Condit is suing.

Browse on over to www.justiceforchandra.com and maybe you can add something to the discussion there. As I wrote to Pepper I am not advocating anyone changing websites, but I think we learn by looking at diffeerent missing person websites. Most of us are working with the same goal, to help resolve some of these cases, or if I have that wrong you can speak up and say so.

I guess that I misled some of the members at the Justice for Chandra website by saying that there was a lot of discussion at Websleuths about the Chandra Levy case. Well, there was, a year ago at least. Also, maybe I have something wrong here and you have another discussion forum about Chandra Levy. I will stop back tomorrow to see.

benn8

benn8 said:
Hello River, I just began reading here tonight because I received a private message from Pepper, so after I replied to her message (hope I have that right) I began reading the messages here, and I saw the dates 1/11/2004. but I am a Chandra Levy case nut, so I thought I was reading 1/11/2005. Oh well, no matter, there are things going on in the Chandra Levy case, and much of what is going on seems to refer right back to the messages posted here.

Where I post most of the time, at www.justiceforchandra.com, we are watching with interest anything that we see about the Gary Condit v. Dominick Dunne civil lawsuit. In fact I saw the first hour of Dunnes new Court TV show at 8PM on Wednesday of last week. I did not get to watch his show this week. That is the same Dunne that Condit is suing.

Browse on over to www.justiceforchandra.com and maybe you can add something to the discussion there. As I wrote to Pepper I am not advocating anyone changing websites, but I think we learn by looking at diffeerent missing person websites. Most of us are working with the same goal, to help resolve some of these cases, or if I have that wrong you can speak up and say so.

I guess that I misled some of the members at the Justice for Chandra website by saying that there was a lot of discussion at Websleuths about the Chandra Levy case. Well, there was, a year ago at least. Also, maybe I have something wrong here and you have another discussion forum about Chandra Levy. I will stop back tomorrow to see.

benn8
RD put together a great site, after Where'sChandra bit the dust. Some of the great posters from that site, ended up at RD's. I've been meaning to buy his book, but the Blake trial has been pretty consuming. I'll have been in court, every day this week.

Dominick appears to be real nice.

I have not posted here in a while. I think I posted here yesterday on an old forum about Chandra. It will be interesting to see what will come out of the Gary Condit v. Dominick Dunne civil suit. I have read that Condit has painted himself into a corner. It is obvious that he does not want to talk, or to give the truth, but the judge now has ordered him to answer some questions that Condit did not answer before in previous questioning. What will Condit do? Perils of Pauline, that oldtime weekly movie mystery serial where Pauline was often seen in the last episode of the weekly drama tied to a log and coming down a track with rollers on it towards the teeth of a fastly revolving saw used to cut the logs in two, and Pauline also, if something did not rescue her in about 30 seconds, which was always next week.

If Condit talks he might give out too much confidential information to please himself. I don't know what that might be, but we can all imagine. If Condit does not talk the judge is not going to be happy. Maybe the trial will get thrown out of court. It would seem that lawyer Lin Wood is going to want Condit to answer questions, as little as possible of course, but still to answer questions. Without questions being answered Lin Wood may not have a trial case to win. Not much money to be made that way.

Anyway Condit is in the corner. Will he come out fighting, or what will he do? :) Wait until next week. benn8

Benn, you are certainly more up on this case than I, so maybe you can answer some questions I have.

It seems to me that Condit can't have it both ways. He can't protect his privacy by refusing to answer intimate and potentially embarassing questions while he is suing Dunne for slander!

Do you think there is a possibility that Dunne has hired some good PIs that may have uncovered information to point toward Condit as knowing more than he wants to admit in the Levy murder?

Do you think that there was any sort of conspiracy between the keystone kops of DC and one or more members of Congress to drag their feet a little and look the other way at the Levy disappearance in the beginning?

Just curious......

I hope that I am writing in the right place here. The recent issue of the tabloid, Globe, has a story about the Chandra Levy case. It sounds interesting, but time will tell. Retired FBI man, I don't know all of his titles, Ted Gunderson, is mentioned in the story. Why the Globe was getting information from him is not quite clear (to me at least) yet.

benn8

Pepper said:
Benn, you are certainly more up on this case than I, so maybe you can answer some questions I have.

It seems to me that Condit can't have it both ways. He can't protect his privacy by refusing to answer intimate and potentially embarassing questions while he is suing Dunne for slander!

Do you think there is a possibility that Dunne has hired some good PIs that may have uncovered information to point toward Condit as knowing more than he wants to admit in the Levy murder?

Do you think that there was any sort of conspiracy between the keystone kops of DC and one or more members of Congress to drag their feet a little and look the other way at the Levy disappearance in the beginning?

Just curious......

Pepper, sometimes I am not very good at answering. Somehow I missed your last message, or did not look at it closely. I will try to answer.

Well, things have happened since you wrote. We have not heard from the Dunne trial yet to see if Condit answered all of the questions the judge said he had to answer. It looks like he may have perjured himself, saying that Chandra was just a friend. I guess the court will tell us what happened, if Condit and Dunne do not make a secret agreement.

Did Dunne hire some PIs? I can only guess. The retired FBI man Ted Gunderson who is mentioned in a February Globe article as being involved in a Chandra Levy investigation is a licensed PI, so we can only guess how he became involved.

A conspiracy? I won't venture a guess on that. If you do an interenet search on Ted Gunderson you will come up with a lot of material. One thing Gunderson was involved in was getting out the suppressed video Conspiracy of Silence. I hope we hear some news from the Dunne trial soon.

benn8

Just updating this thread a little.

Gary Condit was supposed to be questioned some more by Dominick Dunne's attorney this Monday, Feb. 6, but Condit told his own attorney, Lin Wood, that he was too sick to make it. So it looks like another date will have to be scheduled for Condit to be questioned by Dunne's attorney.

Maybe a logical or illogical question is will Condit really answer any more questions?

There are a lot of different forces coming together here. I expect more definite news about this trial in the near future.

benn8

I heard on TV that there's a new grand jury. This is great news, if that's true.

benn8 said:

Gary Condit was supposed to be questioned some more by Dominick Dunne's attorney this Monday, Feb. 6, but Condit told his own attorney, Lin Wood, that he was too sick to make it. So it looks like another date will have to be scheduled for Condit to be questioned by Dunne's attorney.

Maybe a logical or illogical question is will Condit really answer any more questions?

There are a lot of different forces coming together here. I expect more definite news about this trial in the near future.

benn8
I hope this doesn't delay Dominick getting back here to cover the Blake trial. He was a great addition to the gallery.

benn8 said:

benn8

Well, finally...something Condit and I agree on....he's sick!!! :loser: :razz:

Have been reading the recent activity here on the thread.

I watched LKL last night, his guests were Candee and Chad Condit, Gary Condit's children. LK had pieces of the interview from the suit against D Dunne, obtained exclusively by CNN. Gary did look older, worried, and like he had been or was sick. I would sort of equate it to the Don Knotts verion of nervous anxiety, but more pulled together.

Gary had his body language down pat, we only saw from the midshoulder area up, not full body, and by body language I mean he looked directly at the questioner (never saw the questioner - but recognized Wood by voice of course) no eyes down for Condit. There were a couple of eyes down as he turned his head quickly a couple of times then turned his gaze back to his questioner, who we did not actually see.

Dominick held his own on questions by Wood. I do think Wood has met MORE than his match on this go a round.

On LK interview of the grown children, they kept the family finger POINTING at Dunne for CREATING the reason that Condit lost his government seat.

I don't hold much hope for Condit winning, time will tell.

Condit and the children kept referring to Dunne as having personally accused Condit of murder on TV. LK assured them that Dunne NEVER said it on his program.

Does anyone reading, remember or have a source for what the Condit's are saying, whose show or interview would have held that accusation IF there was one?

Chad had one good point that I caught and that was that the DC dropped the ball, seemingly having searched the park for Chandra, yet her body was found there ONE YEAR LATER!

Boy if I had been an alien that just dropped in to visit earth yesterday, I might believe a bit differently. But, since I saw the cams chasing Condit all over the place right after Chandra went missing and his evading them and treating them like nothing. I saw Condit's behavior less than that for a gentleman, and disrespectful for the family, for not at least stopping and avowing his innocence to the cameras at the very outset of this case.

Candee also referred to the ex girlfriend/watch thingie, as someone who just came forward for her few minutes of fame or something to that effect.

Candee last night when asked about Chandra's aunt having talked with Chandra about a love interest in government, Candee said she found that interesting, since when Gary had supposedly tried to help Chandra afer her job ended, Gary had suggested that perhaps she could move in with her aunt. The aunt by the way when Chandra visited with her had not YET married the Levy relative and was not really her aunt at that time.

Candee said she found it unbelievable because Chandra had responded to Gary about the moving in with the aunt with, 'No she did not get along with the aunt', or something to that effect and quite affirmative about it.

Anyone please post links to further info on the suit, I am not following this closely but very interested in the suit. I hope D Dunne gets something going on this.

About Condit's eyes last night I would at times call them being shifty, you could dang near see the wheels turning behind em.

I just hope that TRUTH prevails and something gets settled to help the Levy family.

Camper: This says that it was on "Laura Ingraham's" radio show. Isn't that supposed to be "Laura Ingalls"? I wonder if that is the same woman who is on Greta sometimes talking about Laci Peterson?

Anyway, here is the transcript for the Cadee and Chad Condit interview on LKL.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0502/11/lkl.01.html

Excerpt:

CADEE CONDIT: Dad's is in the ice cream business with us, and he spends part of his time in California.

KING: When in California, what's he doing?

CHAD CONDIT: He's at home.

KING: Is the lawsuit consuming him?

CHAD CONDIT: Yeah, the lawsuit's pretty time consuming.

KING: How's your mom taking it?

CADEE CONDIT: Mom's doing well. It's definitely been a difficult time, but she's hanging in there.

KING: The lawsuit involves statements that Dominick made on this program and on Laura Ingraham's radio show, right?

CHAD CONDIT: Yes, sir.

KING: Was he watching the shows at the time or listening, to your knowledge?

CHAD CONDIT: Well, you know, part of the Justice PAC that Cadee mentioned was what we did after we lost the reelection, is we went back and we read everything, watched all your shows, read all your shows, because you covered it pretty heavy, a lot of networks did. So we researched the media coverage. And so I don't know if dad was watching it, but we did hear about what Dominick said. I think I was watching it the night he was on here. But we've read all the media charges, all the stuff that was said during that intense period. And we know who stepped over the bounds, and Dominick was certainly one of those individuals that did.

KING: There are some who might have said, Cadee, let it go. It's over, you lost the reelection, the body's been found, he's not been charged, go on with life.

CADEE CONDIT: You know, Mr. King, innocent people...

KING: Call me Larry.

CADEE CONDIT: I'll try. Innocent people fight back. Dominick Dunne crossed a line, just as the tabloids did, they called my dad a murderer, insinuating that he had something to do with the kidnapping of Chandra Levy. He's innocent. He didn't have anything to do with it, and Dominick needs to be held accountable for that.

KING: Are you suing tabloids, too?

CADEE CONDIT: We have successfully settled a case against the tabloids.

KING: Oh, they've paid then, and you can't reveal what it was?

CADEE CONDIT: I cannot.

KING: But they have settled with you?

CADEE CONDIT: Yes.

KING: To your benefit?

CADEE CONDIT: I think Gary's pleased with the settlement, yes.

CHAD CONDIT: But there was nothing to our benefit. I mean, we would give back whatever they did to go back, to not being, you know, having his character and his reputation assassinated by Dominick and the tabloids. So it's not to our benefit. None of this was to our benefit. Being charged with murder, accused of murder by folks, it doesn't benefit you in any way. So we would give back or do whatever -- you know, to go back to have -- they basically tried to take our name away, take dad's name away, and it wasn't right.

KING: To clear this up now, Dominick Dunne declined our invitation to discuss the lawsuit with us on our show tonight. His attorney also declined, but did provide us with a following statement. "Mr. Condit's lawsuit against Mr. Dunne is built on a number of falsehoods. Mr. Dunne never called Mr. Condit a murderer. What Mr. Dunne said about him on this show on February 13th, 2002 was quote, 'I believe firmly that he knows more than he has ever said,' end quote. That was true then and it is true now, as Condit's deposition shows. Mr. Dunne did not cause Mr. Condit to lose his primary election as Mr. Condit claims. Mr. Dunne did not cause the American people to hold a low opinion of Mr. Condit. Mr. Condit's own actions caused these things to happen. His refusal then and now to answer questions about Ms. Levy, his decision to run for office without telling his constituents what really happened and how he handled it all with the police led the American public to believe that Mr. Condit was hiding something, and that is why he lost his bid for reelection, and that is why he lost the trust of the public at large. Mr. Dunne didn't cause any of that to happen. Mr. Condit did. Mr. Dunne is looking forward to a resolution of this case in his favor by the judge or by a jury."

Want to comment on that?

CHAD CONDIT: That's not true. He did accuse dad of having some Middle Easterners to get rid of Chandra Levy.

KING: He didn't say it on this show.

CHAD CONDIT: That's what the lawsuit says, is that he stated that he got some Middle Eastern folks to get rid of Chandra Levy.

KING: Do you really believe that Dunne caused your father to lose the election?

CADEE CONDIT: If you look at all of the articles and the press that Gary received, Dunne is the only person that said Gary Condit killed Chandra Levy, other than the tabloids. The tabloids are just scum and I think that most people know that. But Dominick crossed a boundary here. He's the only person -- he is a credible person. You yourself introduced him as a prominent journalist.

KING: He sure is.

CADEE CONDIT: He works for "Vanity Fair," Court TV, he writes books. He has a certain credibility, and people believe him. So yes, it hurt us.

CHAD CONDIT: And he stated, I'm going to cause some trouble for Gary Condit.

KING: He said that?

CADEE CONDIT: Yes.

~~~Complete Transcript at Link~~~

Hi ThoughtFox!

Though they have similar names, Laura Ingraham and Laura Ingalls is not the same person.

Laura Ingraham used to have a TV show, but is now confined to radio, I believe. She is a conservative political commentator who has written a few books.

Laura Ingalls works for KFI Radio 640 in Los Angeles as a reporter. She was the courtroom eyes and ears for the Peterson trial for KFI and for Greta Van Susterern.

Hope this clears up the confusion.

I forgot to tell you all that I missed about the first 15 minutes or so of the LKL broadcast.

Anyone know what the verbage was that was used by the tabloids that got the settlement for Condit?

Pepper, I rarely watch Greta V. and I don't believe I have ever watched an entire program of hers. I had never heard of the two dif Laura's, wonder if the Ingalls one is related to the Little House on the Prairie author? Looks like Condit is looking for deeper pockets to sue.

I just wish the 'aunt' had been home when Chandra called her, we might have a whole new ball game now!!!

Color me stupid, but I still believe that Joyce Chiang and Chandras paths crossed and they knew something about folks who had entered our country illegally, and were somehow involved with the prison population in DC. It is possible in 'MY OWN MIND' (which is a rather small area) for Mr. C. to have proffered some secret info via personal confidence with either or both of the young women.

For me to believe that Joyce and Chandra's paths NEVER crossed is quite impossible, imop.

We do live in an increasingly smaller world.

I happened to see some of Greta tonight, she had Lin Wood & she had D. Dunne's atty. on the show. So it looks like she and the panel will be following this one as it develops.
I am afraid I will be hooked on this one. I so want Dominic Dunne to beat greedy old Condit. Condit cooked his own goose, he didn't need any help from Dunne. Ego got in the way of behaving in an appropriate manner while Chandra was missing.

Condit's television interview with Connie Chung said it all.

It didn't take Dominic Dunne to convince the American public that Condit was involved. The interview showed nothing BUT guilt.

Condit was the only American that was happy about 9/11. He sure took the heat off of him.

Pepper said:
Hi ThoughtFox!

Though they have similar names, Laura Ingraham and Laura Ingalls is not the same person.

Laura Ingraham used to have a TV show, but is now confined to radio, I believe. She is a conservative political commentator who has written a few books.

Laura Ingalls works for KFI Radio 640 in Los Angeles as a reporter. She was the courtroom eyes and ears for the Peterson trial for KFI and for Greta Van Susterern.

Hope this clears up the confusion.

Thanks, Pepper - so many Lauras out there in California, lol. :p Larry King doesn't always get things right, and that is why I was wondering about that. Sometimes in the transcripts they put incorrect names, too.

Here is another article from today's Modesto Bee:

http://www.modbee.com/local/story/9975380p-10809564c.html

Condit's children give family update

Pair say father's dream dashed by Levy scandal

On the Larry King show, the Condits said their father splits time between California and his Arizona home and that much of his focus is on trial preparations for an $11 million defamation lawsuit against author Dominick Dunne.

Cadee Condit said the family couldn't just let things go and get on with life.

"Innocent people fight back," she said. "Dominick Dunne crossed a line, just as the tabloids did. They called my dad a murderer, insinuating that he had something to do with the kidnapping of Chandra Levy. He's innocent. He didn't have anything to do with it, and Dominick needs to be held accountable for that."

The Condit children also reported that their mother was in good health and they were active with the Justice Political Action Committee, trying to extend the California deadline for filing libel lawsuits from one year to three years.

The children reaffirmed their contention that their father never had a romantic relationship with Levy and that there was nothing wrong with his conduct during the investigation.

"He did the responsible thing," Chad Condit said. "He contacted the FBI, contacted the Washington, D.C., Police Department to let them know that this girl was missing when the father contacted Gary. He didn't do anything criminal. He's never been charged with anything.

"If Chandra wouldn't have disappeared, he would have won the election, got his 80 percent."

:doh: That's right, Chad. Blame poor Chandra, the victim. That's the "right thing" to do, just like dear old Daddy. :behindbar

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back