NE - Omaha Double Murder #3 - *Arrest Made*

I couldn't agree more WM! Too many odd things and coincidences for me to believe MB is not tied to the two murders. No way that all of this is a coincidence....I just hope that law enforcement can find him.

hhttp://www.globalwinnipeg.com/Security+measures+taken+following+firing+former+Calgary+pathologist/4805821/story.html

The latest from Calgary. It strikes me that they may have feared for some Calgary colleagues because of the "allegations" from Omaha and that may be all they have...

So, Belenky was fired and did not voluntarily leave his position in Calgary. This makes me wonder if, in reality, he was asked to leave Creighton as well.

If that is the case, it would explain why Calgary thought Belenky's colleagues might be in danger. I agree with you on that point.

I just wish someone knew where he was.

Per the article, Calgary police know where he is.

I'd bet he is under careful watch and any attempt to flee the country would bring about some restraint on their part. This sounds like a situation in which LE views him as the probable suspect in the Omaha killings but for now there is just not quite enough to make it stick.

LE is keeping this close to their chest and that's fine with me. I wish we knew some things, such as the meaning of the list of names Dr Hunter was shown by OPD. Hopefully it all will be clear someday soon.

http://www.globalwinnipeg.com/Secur...ormer+Ca lgary+pathologist/4805821/story.html

None the less, Belenky’s past is punctuated with question marks. This is an understatement, eh?

Nebraska Police questioned him in connection with the 2008 double stabbing deaths of his former boss’s young son and housekeeper in Omaha.

Investigators never named Belenky as a suspect.

However, it has also come to light that police and Alberta Justice worried for the safety of Belenky’s coworkers after he was fired.

Security experts assessed and improved the home security systems of forensic pathologists Dr. Sam Andrews and Dr. Evan Matshes, who worked with Belenky.

A photo of Belenky was also posted at the workplace of Dr. Matshes’ wife and police officers did drive-bys down the doctor’s streets.

Dr. Matshes's wife must work at the dental office we were curious about where MB's photo was posted.

wm

Per the article, Calgary police know where he is.

I'd bet he is under careful watch and any attempt to flee the country would bring about some restraint on their part. This sounds like a situation in which LE views him as the probable suspect in the Omaha killings but for now there is just not quite enough to make it stick.

LE is keeping this close to their chest and that's fine with me. I wish we knew some things, such as the meaning of the list of names Dr Hunter was shown by OPD. Hopefully it all will be clear someday soon.

Completely my own opinion here. But I believe MB messed up big time in Canada. But he was never on the run, and the police always knew where he was. It came out that he was interviewed years ago by OPD. The second that came out his career was over. I personally don't believe he had anything to do with the murders, simply because he was probably one of the first people they looked at, and possibly polygraphed, and quickly dismissed. Maybe not, but that's my view.

By the way, wasn't there a World Herald article in March where Police Chief Hayes said they would be talking to the FBI again? What about AMW? Silence…

If he was completely ruled out, why were the Calgary police concerned that he might hurt someone there? They have been in contact with Omaha authorities. He still is raising suspicions in some minds.

If he was completely ruled out, why were the Calgary police concerned that he might hurt someone there? They have been in contact with Omaha authorities. He still is raising suspicions in some minds.

Because as soon as he was caught for error, it triggered an alarm for the police in Calgary: we know this guy, we have a file on him. Then of course there is suspicion.

MOO, but I think OPD must have good reason to suspect MB for these murders since they spent $$$ to travel to question him.

OT I hope you all have a nice, safe Memorial Day weekend. I haven't posted much lately due to ongoing computer problems. :(

wm

OPD may have good reason to suspect MB, but they obviously don't have the goods on him. I have a sad feeling in the pit of my stomach that this case will never be solved.

I strongly feel that these killings were a grudge thing against one of the victims or their families. People just don't walk into a house in the middle of the afternoon, brutally stab two people and calmly walk out for no reason. No robbery, no sexual attacks that we know of just doesn't make any sense unless there is deep seated hatred or revenge in the killer's mind. It doesn't take much to "set off" some people who take every little remark or action to heart and who can only see one side of a situation.

YD, I agree. I have come to terms with this case going unsolved. For the life of me, I will never understand why OPD handled it as they did at the outset. What still unnerves me is their failure to solicit AMW for help when it could have done the most good, during the period of months following these killings. I believe that the then police chief had a lot to do with this decision. I was told that he chose not to involve AMW because 'they profit from crime."
How noble. He has now moved on to another job in Texas while pulling a high five figure pension from the Omaha job. Apparently Mr Bushke has no problems with profiting from police work.
I continue to think OPD was intimidated by a high profile killing that involved a family associated with CU. Not alleging any coverup here, but rather an overly cautious approach that cost time and maybe a chance to solve the case.

I believe that the kind of person that is easily "set off" will eventually make a mistake
and be caught. I think there will be resolution----somewhere.

I don't know as much about the case as many of you, but I have a gut feeling the case will be solved. They have their suspect--they just need to pull a few more pieces of the puzzle together to ensure a conviction. Time was wasted early on...very sad, but justice will prevail here.

Also, similar to what Snick mentioned earlier, police don't make trips to different countries unless they have some solid reason to justify the expense--budget approvals for trips like that are complicated.

I don't know as much about the case as many of you, but I have a gut feeling the case will be solved. They have their suspect--they just need to pull a few more pieces of the puzzle together to ensure a conviction. Time was wasted early on...very sad, but justice will prevail here.

Also, similar to what Snick mentioned earlier, police don't make trips to different countries unless they have some solid reason to justify the expense--budget approvals for trips like that are complicated.

Repeating myself here, but..OPD also would not still be keeping up interest in MB, nor would the Calgary police and media still be considering him a factor in these killings, unless there was evidence that he could have been in Omaha on the day the crime went down.

geojeffrey, you posted a very thought provoking comment in the second thread that needs to be carried forward:

'I know this has been discussed before, but to me the issue of the reward is significant.

What would motivate one family ($ and standing in the community) to add nothing to the reward, while another (lower income and ordinary--like most of us) does not?

I wonder if the Hunters have a general understanding that this was a targeted event, so why bother with the reward--and even worse--it could aggravate the murderer. "

Shirlee's family are not wealthy people; yet the lion's share of the reward money has been posted by them. Anonymous donors probably associated with CU have posted the rest.

I've wondered about something in this case but have never mentioned it before. Didn't Shirley have around $600.00 in her purse? That's a lot of cash to be carrying around. Was there a reason she was carrying this much around with her like maybe she didn't trust someone enough to leave it at home? Why was she carrying around this much cash?

I hardly ever carry much cash on my person unless I'm on a trip.

News accounts at the time mentioned the cash but explained that she'd collected rents earlier in the day from some properties she or her family owned. I felt at the time this account was a little suspect. One very prominent rumour was that she had been paying off drug dealers who'd been harassing her family over what one of her kids owed them.
IMO she was not the target. One crime scene detail I was told is that evidence indicated she was attacked by surprise, from behind. If she'd have let someone in to negotiate a drug debt she would not have been cleaning with her back to them.
One possibility is that she let the perp in because he claimed to be some sort of delivery man or courrier with an important delivery and said he needed a family member to sign for it, so she got Tom up from the basement and went back to cleaning.

What if Tom was in the dining room eating his sandwich when the person arrived so he was the one who answered the door? Maybe he recognized the person as someone Shirlee knew so he let him in and things escalated from there. The intruder stabs Shirlee first and then Tom (because he has witnessed the whole thing). The intruder cannot find Shirlee's purse (didn't know where she kept it while she was at work), realizes the father will be home soon so has to leave without the money.

Just trying to think of a new scenario that might be plausible.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back