AZ AZ - Melissa Mason & Nicole Glass, both 27, Phoenix, 3 December 2010

http://www.kpho.com/local-video/index.html?grabnetworks_video_id=4662550

PHOENIX -- Rachel Glass met recently with the Phoenix police investigators working her daughter's murder case.

It was not the update she was hoping for.

"The lead detective said it was going to be a couple more months before the DNA was in," Glass told CBS 5 News.

•VIDEO: Mom Of Murder Victim Waiting On Crime Lab

On Dec. 3, Glass and Mason were strangled to death inside their house near 42nd Street and Thomas Road. Mason was pregnant at the time of the murders.

Police have not caught the killer.

"I'm confident the Phoenix Police Department did their job and got the evidence they needed. But now we're just waiting for the Crime Lab," said Glass.

Sgt. Steve Martos said in a statement: "Unfortunately this case has remained unsolved. The Phoenix Police Department and members of the Crime Lab are working tirelessly on this case and many others and will remain focused on identifying and arresting those responsible. The Department is continuing to seek help from the community for information that may lead to helping solve this crime."

CBS 5 News started looking into the Crime Lab's backlog in 2008.

Thousands of pieces of evidence had not been touched. Department leaders blamed a lack of manpower.

The department could not provide current backlog or personnel numbers in time for this report.

"We want answers; this is devastating," said Glass.

Moms Not Giving Up on Justice for Murdered Phoenix Women
27-year-olds strangled in their home

Updated: Saturday, 03 Dec 2011, 10:59 PM MST
Published : Saturday, 03 Dec 2011, 3:56 PM MST

PHOENIX (AP) — One year ago, a friend found the bodies of two young Phoenix women who had been strangled.

On Saturday, the mothers of those women held a candlelight vigil that was open to the public.

The mothers hope that the 6 p.m. vigil in east Phoenix reminded people about the crime and that new tips come in to police.

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news/crime/apx-AZRoommates-Strangled_59530819-12032011

This the last news story I can find on this case. I wonder if the forensic evidence came back from the lab and was inconclusive or if it is still caught up in the backlog?

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news...-of-two-phoenix-women-remain-unsolved-7872726

Under the gleam of an electronic billboard, family and friends gathered in a circle, holding candles and saying prayers. Looking down on them was the image of two smiling 27-year-old women captioned with a question: “Who killed Melissa Mason and Nicole Glass?”

It was the fifth year family and friends of the two slain Phoenix women have gathered on December 3, to mourn the deaths of Melissa and Nicole. And tragically for the womens' families, the case remains unsolved.

Mothers make plea for tips to solve daughters’ murders - December 2016

Two mothers came together Saturday night to renew their plea for tips to solve their daughters' murders. Melissa Mason and Nicole Glass were found dead in their Arcadia home December 3, 2010. They had been strangled to death, and police found no signs of forced entry.

Mason was a few months pregnant and looking forward to motherhood.

"I picture how terrified and scared she must have been, and I wasn't there," says Melissa's mother, Sandra Minjarez. "That's what kills me."

Slain woman's parents sue Phoenix police: 'Get them to open their books so we can see' - March 2016

The parents of a young woman whose 2010 murder remains unsolved have alleged their daughter was a confidential informant for Phoenix police, a position that may have placed her in direct contact with her killer.

On Tuesday, the family of Nicole Glass filed a wrongful death suit against the city of Phoenix for what they say were officers’ failure to warn the 27-year-old about the dangers of their arrangement.

The lawsuit alleges negligence on the part of the recruiting officers and their supervisors, all labeled as John Does for now.

"Phoenix police officers who recruited and used Nicole Glass as their confidential informant failed to reasonably supervise her services, in order to minimize the risk that she would be harmed or murdered by the dangerous criminals with whom she associated as their confidential informant," the lawsuit said.

The case does not include the family of Melissa Mason, Glass’ roommate, who also was murdered in their home.

6th anniversary of double murder; no leads

Police Offering $9K Reward for Unsolved Triple Homicide in Phoenix

Bumping this case after it was mentioned on the Barry and Honey Sherman thread, which started out as a murder/suicide or double suicide investigation, but later deemed a double murder.
Dec 02, 2018
Mysterious 2010 Phoenix murders still unsolved

Associated Press
"I'm hoping that somebody has a conscience and come forward and do the right thing and call a tip into Silent Witness," said Nicole's mother, Rachel Glass.

Rachel Glass remembers it vividly. It was December 3, 2010, when someone called her after seeing the coverage on television. News video showed Phoenix police in and out of Nicole's home near 44th Street and Thomas Road. Then, the news that two 27-year-old women were dead inside. It wasn't until 3:00 a.m the following day that Glass found out her daughter and daughter's pregnant roommate were strangled.

"It's a huge void in our lives," Glass said, choking back tears."
"May God have mercy on your soul for what you've done," she said. "It's changed our lives forever."

The reward for information that leads to an arrest is $9000. $1000 is from Silent Witness ; the rest is from family and friends of Mason and Glass. If you know anything about the case, you are asked to call Silent Witness at 480-WITNESS. You can remain anonymous."

Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #12

Last edited:
Glass's mother, Rachel, held a vigil Sunday to honor the pair and ask the public for any information that could benefit the investigation, which she has done every December since their deaths.

Glass's friends and family gathered 7th and Lincoln streets, beneath a billboard displaying a smiling photo of the two women and offering a $9,000 reward through Silent Witness for information
upload_2019-12-2_7-47-43.jpeg
"I just want justice," Glass said. "I think it's still possible to find. We just need that one missing piece."

"I need answers," Glass said. "My daughter was 27, and she was just starting her life. I thought I would be planning a wedding instead of a funeral."

Anyone with information can contact Silent Witness anonymously at 480-WITNESS.

According to Republic archives, there are over 2,500 unsolved homicides and sex crimes in Phoenix dating back to the 1950s.
Family continues to search for answers in unsolved triple-murder case, 9 years later

This poor girl was forced by cops to be an informant over a phone call she made to buy some pot. Pretty certain that her rolling over on the wrong people got her and her roommate killed. What a stupid justice system we have. Who knows what the cops/DA threatened to charge her with if she didn't cooperate. The killer(s) are the real scum, but damn prosecutors come in a close second. No wonder they are mum about any details.

Silent Witness hosts candlelight vigil for Nicole Glass and Melissa Mason

Dec. 3 marks 11 years since 27 year-olds Nicole Glass and Melissa Mason, along with Mason's unborn child, were tragically murdered inside their Phoenix home.

Glass and Mason lived together near 42nd Street and Thomas Road in Phoenix. There was no evidence of forced entry to the home at the time. There are still no suspects in the killings, but today Silent Witness hosted a candlelight vigil to help raise awareness and generate some potential leads.

"In my head, it's like 11 years?!" Nicole's mother, Rachel said. "Honestly, it seems like yesterday that it happened."

But as each anniversary of the murders comes and goes for Nicole's mother, Rachel, the questions get harder and harder to take.

"My nerves are kind of shot, honestly," Rachel said. "It's 11 years later, no answers, no arrests."

Still, Rachel is doing her best not to give up hope.

"If I lost hope, I probably wouldn't be here," Rachel said. "But I'm hopeful. That's why I'm here. That somebody that knows something will step up."

Silent Witness hopes that a potential ten thousand dollar reward for any new information related to the killings will help. They've also put up a billboard in Downtown Phoenix with a photo of a smiling Glass and Mason. Those tips to Silent Witness can remain anonymous. And in a case like this one where there are no leads, anything goes a long way.

"There wasn't any forced entry into the house, so we really need someone to come forward," Silent Witness Coordinator SR said. "Someone knows something. And we just need that one person to break the case open."

In the meantime, Rachel has a strong support system helping her, along with memories of Nicole.

"Oh, Nicole was awesome," Rachel said. "She was everybody's friend. She was outgoing. She loved life."

And no matter how long it takes, Rachel will continue to look for answers.

"I'm not going to give up hope because that would be too easy," Rachel said. "I'm a fighter. I'll be here every day, every year."

If you have any information regarding the murders, you can call Silent Witness at 480-WITNESS or reach out online at silentwitness.org.

I just heard about this case on "The Deck". Interesting in that podcast one close friend who had been there the day before stated they were too trusting. He said it wasn't unusual for them to leave the door unlocked. In fact, they apparently only had a key to the deadbolt and no key to the doorknob lock.

Twelve years later – the unsolved double murder of two Phoenix friends and roommates has police increasing reward money for any answers that can lead to an arrest. Nicole Glass and Melissa Mason were found dead in their home in December 2010 near 42nd St and Thomas Road. Melissa was newly pregnant at the time.

“Several items of evidence, including DNA was collected and tested in the lab. We just haven’t gotten any positive results,” said Sgt. Brian Bower, the Silent Witness coordinator with Phoenix PD.

[The victim’s mother] is open to just about anything that may help, encouraged by more and more cold cases being solved decades later by forensic genealogy. “It’s a possibility. I’m open to any possibility; call in a tip, DNA,” she said.

Perhaps, with the DNA available and simply no match, @othram could get involved in this tragic cold case.

Dec 3 2022

by Bianca Buono rbbm.

''Police said they recovered a significant amount of evidence and tested DNA from the horrific scene but have yet to receive positive results.
“We're reaching out to the community still, again, twelve years later, to try to drum up any kind of tips that might be able to lead us to gather a little bit more information on who is responsible," said Sgt. Brian Bower with the Phoenix Police Department.
Despite the time that has passed, there are still more questions than answers. The suspect, as well as the motive, are still unknown.
Police said they had not identified any witnesses, so they are asking the public to come forward if they saw or heard anything.
To remind the public about the tragic killings, a billboard has been put up at 7th Street and Lincoln Drive of Melissa and Nicole with information about the case.
Now, the reward for information is increased to $13,000.
Anyone with information can anonymously contact Silent Witness by calling 480-WITNESS.
“If you know something, say something step up, and do the right thing. We need help," Rachel said.''

Because of the DNA evidence available in this cold case, I wonder if @othram could assist these two grieving families in finding long-deserved justice.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back