17 yo Trayvon Martin Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that the only reason that there was any physical altercation was because George made it known that he had that gun.

That just does not add up. I'll tell ya, if someone has a gun pointed at me, i'm doing what they say, regardless of if I think they are right or wrong. The LAST thing I would do is come at the person. With a gun pointed at me the NUMBER ONE thing I would be thinking is "DIFFUSE THE SITUATION" Then wait for the police and tell the police that "this guy pulled a gun on me, I live here have every right to be here and is brandished a gun on me for no reason"

He wouldn't get the death penalty if he is convicted. This is only a message board. Not a jury room. IMO JMO MOO

I understand. Rarely do I post sarcasm, because it is often misinterperted, but it got the better of me in this post.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...an-bail-hearing-set-for-april-20-lawyer-says/

For all the relief among civil rights activists over the arrest, legal experts warned there is a real chance the case could get thrown out before it ever goes to trial because of the "stand your ground" law.

Trayvon's parents stated that they would respect what the court's decide. All they wanted was an arrest and for the court's to decide. I am sure they are very aware of this case potentially being thrown out based on SYG laws. However, their fight will continue because they will make sure that the SYG laws are better defined. Even the people who made the SYG laws say that what GZ did was not protected under the SYG laws... so obviously... changes need to be made if he is.

I personally will be standing right there beside them in their quest for justice. Justice may very well be George Zimmerman walking free... but Trayvon's case goes much further than George Zimmerman's arrest/conviction. Steps need to be taken to make sure something like this never happens again and that people like GZ do not slip through the cracks because our laws are not better defined.

MOO

I think that he is much safer in custody too, but if he does get bond, I won't be angry? He will be told he is not allowed to drink/do drugs and it's banned from having a gun in the house.

I appreciate your compassion Lola. I have none for the man and it's my personal opinion that he deserves to sit in jail and not be allowed bond. Trayvon is laying in a mausoleum and will remain there forever because of this man. He doesn't deserve to get out and be free to do whatever he wants to do. He deserves to be right where he's at until such time that a jury reaches a verdict.

~jmo~

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...an-bail-hearing-set-for-april-20-lawyer-says/

For all the relief among civil rights activists over the arrest, legal experts warned there is a real chance the case could get thrown out before it ever goes to trial because of the "stand your ground" law.

Well, I hope all the known facts are considered before it is decided that GZ's actions are covered by the SYG law. I am not sure that he would be convicted if he went to trial but with the actual facts we have now (which are few) I do not believe Stand Your Ground applies in this case. GZ followed Trayvon. He admits he followed Trayvon.

I would rather see GZ acquitted after a trial than have a judge decide now that it is OK in Florida for a person to actively pursue another person and then shoot their way out of the situation that they initiated. The SYG law states you cannot do that, so if this is thrown out of court before it goes anywhere, heaven help us all.

I appreciate your compassion Lola. I have none for the man and it's my personal opinion that he deserves to sit in jail and not be allowed bond. Trayvon is laying in a mausoleum and will remain there forever because of this man. He doesn't deserve to get out and be free to do whatever he wants to do. He deserves to be right where he's at until such time that a jury reaches a verdict.

~jmo~

I'm trying to respect Trayvon's mother's words? She doesn't hate GZ and she is not angry at GZ. She wanted an arrest and he is arrested now. She wants for the court to decide and that is what I want too. I have compassion for Trayvon's mother and because I see that she has compassion for the man who killed her son... I will have compassion for the man who killed her son.

That does not mean that I do not want him held responsible for what he did. I 100% think GZ is guilty of killing Trayvon. There is nothing that justifies what he did that night. I think he should be found guilty and go away for a long time. I believe he is a danger to himself and a danger to those around him. I think he is a very unstable man... however... if they do give him bond... they take that risk, but legally, I believe because of the charges, he does get to have a bond?

That just does not add up. I'll tell ya, if someone has a gun pointed at me, i'm doing what they say, regardless of if I think they are right or wrong. The LAST thing I would do is come at the person. With a gun pointed at me the NUMBER ONE thing I would be thinking is "DIFFUSE THE SITUATION" Then wait for the police and tell the police that "this guy pulled a gun on me, I live here have every right to be here and is brandished a gun on me for no reason"

How was Travon to know that police were coming? :waitasec: The only one that knew police were on their way was GZ, so he's the one that never should have let the situation escalate in the first place, he's the one that should have stayed in the car, knowing full well that police were on their way.

Someone points a gun at you and you say, oh wait, don't shoot me, let's wait for police to get here? Or maybe, hey can you wait a sec while I call 911? :waitasec:

Isn't it easy to sit back in our comfy chairs, long after the fact and say what we would do if someone has a gun pointed at us. Much different than being in that exact moment.

JMHO

I agree but he also should not get bond because he has been accused of committing second degree murder.

~jmo~

ITA! That's the main reason. I also think he's just not safe outside of jail either. I want to see him make it trial. I don't want anyone going vigilante on him, which would be highly ironic.

There is NO evidence that GZ drew his gun anytime before he was on the ground on his back. If you have some evidence to the contrary, please share. Would you say "You got a problem?" to someone pointing a gun at you? I contend that the gun was holstered right up to the point it was drawn and immediately used to stop the alleged attack on GZ.

There's also no evidence to suggest he didn't pull out his gun and confront Trayvon. We don't have those few minutes in evidence to really determine what happened. I have my opinion, and I can respect yours. I am willing to wait until trial and see how this plays out. Just because I think GZ stalkd and killed TM doesn't mean I want to lynch him. I want justice to play out here, as it should. And if it turns I'm wrong, I will apologize for that.

Maybe he can go to some kind of program to get help for his issues while he is out on bond? I know he won't be able to have a gun because of the other Florida case. Remember LE found out GA had purchased a gun and they went and confiscated it?

Well, maybe there's room for him at that same church where CA is staying.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Does anyone know is Zimmerman's attorney appointed by the court as his defense counsel or is he being paid privately. I don't recall reading this anywhere.

Well, maybe there's room for him at that same church where CA is staying.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

That would be fun!! :floorlaugh: GZ thought Trayvon was a scary looking person... put him in the same room with FCA for a few days and he'll be a changed man!

Does anyone know is Zimmerman's attorney appointed by the court as his defense counsel or is he being paid privately. I don't recall reading this anywhere.

Zimmerman was declared indigent so I guess the state will end up paying him.

~jmo~

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bail"]Bail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

The main reasons for refusing bail are that the defendant is accused of an imprisonable offence and there are substantial grounds for believing that the defendant would:

Abscond
Commit further offences while on bail
Interfere with witnesses[5]

The court should take into account the:

Nature and seriousness of the offence or default (and the probable method of dealing with the defendant for it)
Character, antecedents, associations and community ties of the defendant,
Defendant's bail record, and
Strength of the evidence[5]

The court may also refuse bail:

For the defendant's own protection
Where the defendant is already serving a custodial sentence for another offence
Where the court is satisfied that it has not been practicable to obtain sufficient information
Where the defendant has already absconded in the present proceedings
Where the defendant has been convicted but the court is awaiting a pre-sentence report, other report or inquiry and it would be impracticable to complete the inquiries or make the report without keeping the defendant in custody
Where the defendant is charged with a non-imprisonable offence, has already been released on bail for the offence with which he is now accused, and has been arrested for absconding or breaching bail[5]

Where the accused has previous convictions for certain homicide or sexual offences, the burden of proof is on the defendant to rebut a presumption against bail.[6]

This was a C&P don't blame the bad spelling on me please. :floorlaugh:

He wasn't court appointed, so he has to be privately retained? I have no idea if he is being paid or working this case pro-bono though?

Zimmerman was declared indigent so I guess the state will end up paying him.

~jmo~

O'Mara is competent. I am hopeful this indigency won't turn into the same mess as CA's did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
0maj0