OH OH - Cleveland, WhtMale 20-30, 121UMOH, decapitated, Jiggs/"Helen-Paul" tattoos, Jun'36

One of his tatoos was the names Helen and Paul over a dove. I wonder if he is Paul and Helen was his wife?

beakiebean said:
One of his tatoos was the names Helen and Paul over a dove. I wonder if he is Paul and Helen was his wife?
I will have to find the books written on the Butcher to see what they say about this. I think they thought either Paul and Helen were he and his wife or his mother and father. I think....I need to look in the books.

Richard said:
The coroner commented the victim looked to be of Slavic or possibly Scandinavian descent.

Tattoos: He had six tattoos; One on the left calf was the character Jiggs from the comic strip Bringing Up Father. On the right calf was an anchor under a superimposed Cupid. On the right forearm was Helen-Paul over a dove. A butterfly on the right shoulder. On the left forearm was crossed flags. Also on the left forearm were the initials WCG with an arrow through a heart. The tattoos may have suggested a naval background of the victim.
121UMOH
The comment about the victim being slavic or scandinavian along with the tattoo of Jiggs made me do a bit of research on this character Jiggs. Apparently Jiggs was brought to Finland to produce sound versions of the character. He was a huge hit in Finland, even spawning slang within the finnish culture. This information coupled with the fact that he has naval tattoos leads me to believe that he was more than likely he was not a permanent resident of the US or had recently arrived. This would explain the inability to identify him if he was from another country. Of course this is merely conjecture but my grandfather was swedish and in the shipping business. His travels took him all over the globe and more importantly he was covered in tattoos. He didnt stick with one company but would hire on in the port at which he delivered his contents. This could be what happened with this man though his presence near train tracks may indicate traveling via that method.

The tattoo containing Helen-Paul could also be the names of his parents. I know people often get their parents names tattooed on their bodies as a memorial when their parents are deceased. I would also be curious to know what were the flags that were that are mentioned as being an additional tattoo.

Kate

Last edited by a moderator:
KJERVIS said:
The comment about the victim being slavic or scandinavian along with the tattoo of Jiggs made me do a bit of research on this character Jiggs. Apparently Jiggs was brought to Finland to produce sound versions of the character. He was a huge hit in Finland, even spawning slang within the finnish culture. This information coupled with the fact that he has naval tattoos leads me to believe that he was more than likely he was not a permanent resident of the US or had recently arrived. This would explain the inability to identify him if he was from another country. Of course this is merely conjecture but my grandfather was swedish and in the shipping business. His travels took him all over the globe and more importantly he was covered in tattoos. He didnt stick with one company but would hire on in the port at which he delivered his contents. This could be what happened with this man though his presence near train tracks may indicate traveling via that method.

The tattoo containing Helen-Paul could also be the names of his parents. I know people often get their parents names tattooed on their bodies as a memorial when their parents are deceased. I would also be curious to know what were the flags that were that are mentioned as being an additional tattoo.

Kate
I found the books I had, but apparently the information is conflicting between the two books.
The books are: Torso and In the Wake of the Butcher.

In the Wake of Butcher specifies that the following tattoo's were in the following locations:
"a butterfly on the left shoulder, the comic strip character Jiggs on the outer surface of the left calf, crossed flags and the letters W.C.G. on the left forearm, a heart and anchor also on the left forearm, a cupid and anchor on the outer surface of the right calf, and the names Helen and Paul on the right forearm".

Torso says:
"on the left forearm , the intials WCG with an arrow through a heart; also on the left forearm, cross flags; on the right forearm, "Helen-Paul" with a dove beneath; on the right shoulder, a butterfly; on the left calf, the cartoon character Jiggs; and on the right calf, a cupid superimposed over an anchor".

Will type more later.

It is quite possible that the man was in the Merchant Marine. That is - a sailor who shipped on various types of Merchant ships at various times and visiting many different ports. Tattoos (in the 1930's) were something which one would see on sailors more than any other trade or profession, especially a large collection of them. The anchor tattoo is definitely of Naval or seagoing origin.

Unlike US Navy sailors, who are assigned to a specific ship for a number of years, and whose whereabouts are accounted for several times daily, a Merchant Mariner works for wages and signs on for specific ships and voyages on a case by case basis. If one wanted to take time to travel around the US for an extended period of time, he could do so without being declared AWOL or a Deserter.

Travel by rail would have been a strong possibility, since as a Mariner who travels at sea and stops at various ports, he probably would not have owned a car - and might not even know how to drive one. It is possible that he might have been in the Cleveland area seeking employment on the Ore ships of the Great Lakes - maybe he was enroute from the East to West coast, or perhaps he was just traveling to visit friends or family. He probably had no family or friends in the Cleveland area because nobody came forward to identify him, even though his description would have been front page news.

I agree that the crossed flag tattoo probably was a good clue. My guess is that it would have been a US flag crossed with the flag of his home country.

The Character Jiggs, I believe, was that of an Irish American. His wife was Maggie, who ran the household and was always hitting Jiggs on the head with a frying pan, or rolling pin when he would come home late drunk. Jiggs was a sort of Ner' Do Well who wore a very elegant suit of coat with tails, top hat, spats, gloves and cane. He was fond of strong drink and staying out late with the boys.

I'm back after a LONG absence and the first place I went was to the cold cases!

There were other cases of bodies being found beheaded around the same time as the Cleveland killings that were also never solved. In particular, some decapitated bodies were found in West Virginia. I know I posted some info about this back in October or November, I'll see if I can find it. Anyway, there were rumors that the "Torso Killer" may have been involved. However, there were other rumors that the bodies in WV were killed by the Mafia and left there.

I often wonder what the killer did with the parts that were not found.

It is quite possible that the man was in the Merchant Marine. The anchor tattoo is definitely of Naval or seagoing origin.

I agree that the crossed flag tattoo probably was a good clue. My guess is that it would have been a US flag crossed with the flag of his home country.

Could the WCG tattoo be the Wisconsin Coast Guard, a branch that serves in the Great Lakes region? Maybe the crossed flags would indicate which naval branch...

The Jiggs tattoo is interesting. Possibly the laundry mark 'JD' indicates his nickname was Jiggs. Wonder if his real name was Paul "Jiggs" D___.

In the Wake of the Butcher by Mr. Badal indicates that someone identified these tattoos as belonging to a young man from the Brace Memorial Newsboy Home in NYC in June of 1932.

Would love to gain access to records....

What is the Brace Memorial Newsboy Home?

I found this online - a lodging house for homeless boys. Looks like the building was eventually purchased by the Coast Guard, but can't find the year that this happened. Coincidence?

Check out:
http://nineduane.queenitsy.com/gen2.html

The home was part of the 'orphan train' to place children from orphanages.

In January 1939, the Cleveland Press newspaper reprinted a letter that had been sent from Los Angeles, allegedly from the Butcher himself. It read:
Chief of Police Matowitz -
You can rest easy now, as I have come to sunny California for the winter. I felt bad operating on those people, but science must advance. I shall astound the medical profession, a man with only a D.C.
What did their lives mean in comparison to hundreds of sick and disease-twisted bodies? Just laboratory guinea pigs found on any public street. No one missed them when I failed. My last case was successful. I now know the feeling of Pasteur, Thoreau and other pioneers.
Right now I have a volunteer who will absolutely prove my theory. They call me mad and a butcher, but the truth will out.
I have failed but once here. The body has not been found and never will be, but the head, minus the features, is buried on Century Boulevard, between Western and Crenshaw. I feel it is my duty to dispose of the bodies as I do. It is God&#8217;s will not to let them suffer.
X

Anyone know what "D.C." refers to here?

In January 1939, the Cleveland Press newspaper reprinted a letter that had been sent from Los Angeles, allegedly from the Butcher himself. It read:
Chief of Police Matowitz -
You can rest easy now, as I have come to sunny California for the winter. I felt bad operating on those people, but science must advance. I shall astound the medical profession, a man with only a D.C.
What did their lives mean in comparison to hundreds of sick and disease-twisted bodies? Just laboratory guinea pigs found on any public street. No one missed them when I failed. My last case was successful. I now know the feeling of Pasteur, Thoreau and other pioneers.
Right now I have a volunteer who will absolutely prove my theory. They call me mad and a butcher, but the truth will out.
I have failed but once here. The body has not been found and never will be, but the head, minus the features, is buried on Century Boulevard, between Western and Crenshaw. I feel it is my duty to dispose of the bodies as I do. It is Gods will not to let them suffer.
X

Anyone know what "D.C." refers to here?

I found "Doctor of Chiropractic" courtesy of Wikipedia- referred to as D.C. or DC as the letter mentions the medical profession

This is a tenuous connection...but...

If you search for "helen and paul" and "tattoo" on the web, one of the first hits that comes up is a website dedicated to a tattoo artist named Franklin "Paul" Rogers. His wife was named Helen. He was a well known tattoo artist who worked in South Carolina, on the circus circuit and later in Norfolk, Va. (Huge naval town.)

Paul Rogers started tattooing in the late 1920s. He was active in the 1930s during the time frame of the Torso Murders. Most frustrating is that Paul lived up into his 80s and 'almost' remained with us into the Internet Age. If he was alive today, all it would take was one email query to find out if he knew of the murders or ever recognized this particular victim.

As I say, a very long shot. But an intriguing possible connection to this case. However, as many have already postulated, the tattooed man might have been named "Paul". His wife or girlfriend might have been "Helen". Or his parents might have had those names.

We will probably never know. But here is the link to that website. <modsnip: broken link>

I have known people who have their family members' name tattooed in memory of that person if they pass away before their time, so maybe Helen and Paul are the tattooed man's siblings or cousins. I agree with the people who believe that the man was not from the area and from Europe and that is why he was not recognized (despite being front page news).

I think the coast guard possibility is intriguing. I also found this about the Marines:

Since 1922, the United States Marine Corps has used Bulldogs as its mascots.[1]
U.S. Marine Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler introduced the first Marine mascot, named "Pvt.Jiggs," who lived at Marine Barracks, Quantico. He quickly rose in the ranks to Sergeant Major. He was the first in a series of bulldog mascots.

So perhaps there is a Marine connection.

With names like Helen and Paul his parents were probably American or British, Irish, etc. (If Helen and Paul refer to his parents). A dove may mean they predeceased him.

Cleveland at this time was one of the largest cities in the nation. Its terminal tower was second only to the Empire State Building as the tallest building in America. It was a very busy port in those days. It would have been a place that drew immigrants and others looking for opportunities. He could have come from anywhere.

I have always been fascinated with this case. It's local, so when I read where the victims were found, I know exactly where they are talking about (although these areas look much different today, I'm sure.) A distant relative of mine actually found what some believe to be the first victim. Ironically, a girl I grew up with was related to one of the chief suspects (although I don't believe he was guilty.)

:bump: I noticed that a few older cases were on NamUs recently and I thought "the Tattooed Man" might be included, but he is not listed in NamUs at this time.

Don't know if this has come up before, but I have the morgue photo (head only) if anyone is interested. I honestly think that the morgue photo and the reconstructions look completely different. Maybe it's just me.

**GRAPHIC CONTENT BELOW**
121umoh morgue photo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23