MD MD - Lorraine 'Lori' Zimmerman, 15, Hagerstown, 6 April 1984

I don't really think a MySpace page is going to help .No one uses MySpace anymore anyway.

Are you connected with anyone with this case, such as a reporter or LE official, someone whom could verify things and or answer questions etc?
Was just wondering if there was anyone available close to the case to help us out on validating things, or confirming information to see if we are on the right path or not?
thanks in advance for your answer.

I don't really think a MySpace page is going to help .No one uses MySpace anymore anyway.

Please allow me to clarify my suggestion about a myspace page. I wasn't suggesting to create one to use in social networking to bring attention to Lori by requesting friends and such...

I was suggesting it as a way to create a free webpage and collect all the data that can be found and verfied onto that page.

Once it is created a simple google search of her name should bring it up.

As it stands right now, this is the only thing I could find on the internet for Lori ~ this thread.

The only way to even begin to hope in helping to solve a case is to commit to it. Commit time, dedication and to be relentless.

So my suggestion was a way to access and create a webpage for Lori for free~ after any print articles have been found and can be used. Pictures also.

I don't mind to assist, but I have several cases that I am donating my time and attention to as of right now and I can't commit to start Lori's presense on the web right now.

Bottom line is Lori needs an internet presense, not just at WS but anywhere it can be posted.

Are you connected with anyone with this case, such as a reporter or LE official, someone whom could verify things and or answer questions etc?
Was just wondering if there was anyone available close to the case to help us out on validating things, or confirming information to see if we are on the right path or not?
thanks in advance for your answer.

Nope...haven't a clue. I just find cold cases and post them to the board...several I have posted have no replies except for my own.....have no connection.

Please allow me to clarify my suggestion about a myspace page. I wasn't suggesting to create one to use in social networking to bring attention to Lori by requesting friends and such...

I was suggesting it as a way to create a free webpage and collect all the data that can be found and verfied onto that page.

Once it is created a simple google search of her name should bring it up.

As it stands right now, this is the only thing I could find on the internet for Lori ~ this thread.

The only way to even begin to hope in helping to solve a case is to commit to it. Commit time, dedication and to be relentless.

So my suggestion was a way to access and create a webpage for Lori for free~ after any print articles have been found and can be used. Pictures also.

I don't mind to assist, but I have several cases that I am donating my time and attention to as of right now and I can't commit to start Lori's presense on the web right now.

Bottom line is Lori needs an internet presense, not just at WS but anywhere it can be posted.

Perhaps. Can't find any feature articles. I'm sure there is one out there, maybe, but you probably have to view it on Microfilm at a library in Maryland, and I'm nowhere near.... I know that not every newspaper has been scanned into the web much to my dismay.

UMfanforever, IMHO I would go ahead and call the LE contact.

Lori's not really in any national databases. Confirm her murderer has not been caught yet. (I thought about that when I was getting ready for bed). I would ask them if they could share any statistics and other info in order to start assembling info for Lori.

Second, I would contact the archives of the local newspapers from that year and request an archival search and pay to get those articles. (I've had to do that in genealogy research, it's not that expensive). Especially any pictures.

Third, I would create a free webpage to help bring attention to her.

Charley Project? There are so many databases that if her information were in there, it would automatically generate interest in Lori.

Not everyone feels comfortable calling LE....I asked the same of MrTT about another case and they felt the same.

Not everyone feels comfortable calling LE....I asked the same of MrTT about another case and they felt the same.

I do agree with you on that, some have no problem in relating with LE on a direct bases, its just not me, unless they ask me to, which to this day they never have, not even by email...........

But...I do find it interesting, im assuming Lori has family still around, and yet none as far as i know, have posted anything about Lori, no website etc............It would be nice, to have that blood connection, come here or post somewhere about there situation, with updates, or where it stands etc.........I have just been curious about the lack of family or friends for that matter, not posting anything online that we have found??

It seems pretty obvious, or i may be wrong with this assumption, LE has hit a brick wall head on , with this case, i wish i new what that break wall was?

Okay well good luck to you in finding the answers about this case that you are seeking. I'm fresh out of suggestions.

On my way home from work yesterday I stopped by the spot where Lori's body was found - I wanted to take some photos but camera battery was drained - so, will stop by again soon. Not what I expected to see, think I will look further into this case.

Md. murder case reopened
Gettysburg Times - Monday, April 5, 1999

HAGERSTOWN, MD. (AP) - Maryland State Police have reopened the case of Lori Zimmerman, a 15-year-old murdered in April 1984.
The Zimmerman cae is one of the three unsolved murders in Washington County being handled by the Maryland State Police.
"Over the past year, Sgt. Ronald Cullison and I have conducted more than 100 interviews and developed new leads," said Sgt. Todd May.
In addition, the state police crime lab has reviewed all the physical evidence with new technology, such as DNA testing. It's possible that evidence could now be used for comparison purposes, May said.

"The information developed in the investigation indicates the (killer) was in all likelihood a member of the community and may have been known to Lori," May said.

He also believes there are people in Hagerstown who have information and haven't come forward, either because they are afraid or are reluctant to get involved.

Zimmerman's partially clad body was found south of Boonsboro on April 14, 1984. The body was found in a wooded area under large pieces of cardboard that had been weighted down with rocks.

Maryland

1984 murder case reopened

By MARLO BARNHART
April 2, 1999

In April 1984, Sandra Volneck's 15-year-old daughter Lori Zimmerman disappeared, turning up as the victim of a brutal murder a few days later.

"I think of her and carry her picture with me every day," Volneck said. "She would have been 30 now if she'd lived."

"Lori never hurt anybody," Volneck said. "She had a lot of living to do and she didn't get to do that."

Fifteen years after the crime, Maryland State Police in Hagerstown have reopened the case, reviewing the evidence in hopes of finally bringing Lori's killer to justice.

Sgt. Todd May of the state police special investigation support unit said he and others in the department specialize in the investigation of murders and complex cases.

From time to time, old cases are reopened, May said. Sometimes new evidence comes to light but other cases are looked at again just to see if investigators can come up with something. The Zimmerman case is one of three unsolved murders in Washington County handled by the Maryland State Police.

"Over the past year, Sgt. Ronald Cullison and I have conducted more than 100 interviews and developed new leads," May said.

In addition, the state police crime lab has reviewed all the physical evidence with new technology, such as DNA testing. It's possible that evidence could now be used for comparison purposes, May said.

"The information developed in the investigation indicates the (killer) was in all likelihood a member of the community and may have been known to Lori," May said.

He also believes there are people in Hagerstown who have information and haven't come forward, either because they are afraid or are reluctant to get involved.

"It is our hope that anyone who believes they have information about this case would call and help bring closure to this tragedy for the sake of Lori's family," May said.

Zimmerman's partially clad body was found on Reno Monument Road south of Boonsboro on April 14, 1984 - several days after the 15-year-old South Hagerstown High School student had been reported missing by her mother.

According to police reports, Lori had been severely beaten but the official cause of death was asphyxiation. There was no official determination of sexual assault, police said.

A nearby resident found her body in a wooded area under large pieces of cardboard that were weighted down with rocks.

Police said all along they didn't believe Lori was murdered at the site where her body was found.

For months after, police tried to reconstruct Lori's movements. She was last seen in downtown Hagerstown by a relative on April 6, 1984.

The trail soon cooled.

Four years later, then-lead investigator Sgt. Keith Wattenschaidt, now retired, participated in a segment of "Unsolved Mysteries," the television show hosted by actor Robert Stack.

On film, Wattenschaidt met with psychic Dorothy Allison in a last-ditch effort to turn up a suspect.

Contacted this week, Wattenschaidt said Allison came pretty close to where police found Lori's body.

"But she really didn't come up with much we could use about the killer's profile," Wattenschaidt said.

Anyone with information can call state police in Hagerstown at 301-739-2101 or the MSP support unit at 1-410-290-0050.

I remember this case from UM....shook me up pretty badly as I recall.

I hope justice is found for Lori - no matter how long it takes.

So they reopened the case over 10 years ago, and then nothing more?

We somehow need to get some locals involved in this. Too bad there isn't a means to get in contact with school mates, I'm sure there had to be some interesting rumors circulating about this.

UMfanforever, Kudos to you for keeping this case up front. I hope answers come soon and the perp can be brought to justice.

RIP Lori, so sorry your life was so cruelly cut short.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back