Found Deceased MI - Venus Stewart, 32, Colon, 28 April 2010 - # 2 *D. Stewart guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The people who live in the area who have seen him said he was disheveled and was wet and without a shirt and asking for a cigarette," said First Lt. Mike Risco, commander of the Michigan State Police at White Pigeon. "At this time he is not a suspect; however detectives would like to speak to him."
http://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/...1002/NEWS01/Search-still-on-for-missing-woman

Is Doug a smoker?

What are the odds that at the time Venus is abducted a man asks " do you know where I am?, asks for a smoke, comes out of the woods soaking wet with leaves and without a shirt. This is almost surreal.

VENUS ROSE STEWART TIMELINE

2002: Venus Rose McComb and Douglas Harrie Stewart marry.

2007 through 2009: Venus Stewart and Douglas Harrie Stewart's marriage is marred by mutual allegations of violence and multiple divorce filings from both parties.

2009: Venus and Douglas Stewart move from Schoolcraft, Michigan, to eastern Virginia.

February 2010: Venus Stewart and her two daughters, age 3 and 5, move back to Michigan, where they live with her parents, Therese and Larry McComb, in Colon Township. Back in Michigan, Venus Stewart files for a protective order in St. Joseph County. Court documents reveal that this latest move was sparked by an investigation into the alleged sexual abuse of their 5-year-old daughter, which concluded that at the time there was insufficient evidence to charge Douglas Stewart with sexual molestation of the couple's daughter.

February - April 2010: Venus Stewart writes notes detailing the alleged sexual abuse of her daughter by her husband. Also, according to her father, Venus wrote out a will days before she disappeared, because she was concerned that her husband would harm her.

Monday - April 19, 2010: Venus Stewart is granted temporary custody of the couple’s two daughters by Judge William Welty in St. Joseph County District Court.

Monday - 7:10 AM - 8:30 AM- 26 April 2010: Venus Stewart is abducted between 7:10 and 8:3a.m. Monday outside her parent’s home in the 55000 block of Driftwood Drive in Colon Township while walking to her parents' mailbox to post a letter. Police immediately name her estranged husband, Douglas Harrie Stewart, as the person of interest in the abduction and begin a multi-state manhunt to find him. According to Lt. Mike Risko of the MSP, "There is evidence that there was a struggle. We do not believe she left of her own free will."

Monday - "late night" - 26 April 2010: Douglas Harrie Stewart, Venus's estranged husband, is located at his residence in Newport News, Virginia. Police continue to attempt to locate two vehicles associated with Doug Stewart: a 1998 silver Mercury sedan and a 2005 silver Dodge Ram extended-cab pick-up. Despite locating Douglas Stewart, police have yet to find the car or pickup truck.

Wednesday - 28 April 2010: Douglas Stewart refuses to answer questions by investigators or the media and refers all contact to his attorney, Jeffrey M. Schroder of Portage, Michigan. Lt. Mike Risko says all investigators' contact with Doug Stewart is through his lawyer. Newport News police locate the Dodge Ram truck at Doug Stewart's apartment building's parking lot.

Friday - 30 April 2010: Michigan State Police troopers and sheriff’s deputies began searching near Adams Lake and Oak Leaf Trail, approximately a mile from the McCombs' residence from which Venus Stewart was abducted, after receiving a tip, State Police Lt. Mike Risko said. Risko said the tip that police acted on Friday was information that a person saw a man near the shoreline of Adams Lake within the time frame that Venus Stewart is believed to have been taken. “It’s one of the few tips we’ve got so we’re going to act on it,” Risko said. “At this stage of the game, I don’t think we can let anything slide." The Michigan State Police and the Sheriff's Department canvassed the area on foot but didn't find anything.

Monday - 3 May 2010: Media report that the two vehicles associated with Douglas Stewart for which police have been searching have been located in Virginia.

Tuesday - 4 May 2010: A neighbor of the McCombs says that she spotted a pick-up truck in the area at the time of her disappearance. The Michigan State Police crime lab compared photos of the tread on her husband’s trucks’ tires to the tire marks left at the scene in Michigan, and advised that the “general tread pattern” was in agreement, but they needed the actual tires from Stewart’s truck for “more thorough, further analysis.”

Wednesday - 5 May 2010: Using side-scan sonar and divers, investigators search Adams Lake but find no clues to Venus Stewart's disappearance. Investigators continue to state that Doug Stewart is the sole person of interest in Venus Stewart's disappearance, despite having what investigators say is a solid alibi. While the dive team conducted its search Wednesday, Lt. Mike Risko said that MSP crime lab personnel were flying to Virginia to conduct searches of a Mercury sedan and Dodge Ram pickup truck that are both registered to Douglas Stewart. Police obtained search warrants for the vehicles, which were seized today by Newport News police.

Contacted by the media on Wednesday, Doug Stewart makes the following statement: "I still care about her very much, and to be told that you could be involved of something of this nature, it's repulsive. It makes me feel horrible, and now, that the timeline has gone so far ... I'm getting very worried and very concerned."

Thursday - 6 May 2010: 24 Hour News 8 obtained a copy of the handwritten notes by Venus detailing her daughter's story. According to the documents, her daughter told Venus about the incident in February 2010 in which Doug Stewart allegedly had his eldest daughter touch him inappropriately. The notes were provided by Larry McComb, Venus' father, who said he stumbled across the papers in a drawer. February is when Venus left her husband, Douglas Stewart, and moved in with the McCombs in Colon Township, Larry McComb added.

Also on Thursday, police released a sketch of a person with whom they would like to speak. Police state that the man is not a suspect. The sketch is based on several reports of a man near Adam's lake who approached people. Two people say they encountered the man the night before Stewart disappeared. The witnesses said it was unusual, and the man was disheveled and wet, as if he had been swimming. He asked the witnesses for a cigarette. “Some guy came out of the woods, out of nowhere,” said Leana Powell, “came up behind me and asked, 'do you know where I am?'”

On Thursday, State Police Forensics Teams from Michigan continue to inspect the two vehicles in the possession of Douglas Stewart. A copy of the search warrant says they want to test the Dodge Ram, which is owned by Venus Stewart but has been in the possession of Doug Stewart, for dirt, plant material, or any other evidence that shows the truck was driven to Michigan recently. They are also looking for blood, hair, a tarp, or other signs it may have been used for an abduction. They also want to compare tire treads on the Dodge Ram with plaster casts of tracks left in a field near the Colon Township home where Venus Stewart was staying with her parents. A woman who lives in the neighborhood says she saw a pickup, roughly matching the description of Stewart’s crew cab, parked in that field that morning, with a man crouching down behind it.

MSP Lt. Mike Risko says that Doug Stewart continues to be uncooperative with investigators as of Thursday.

Friday - 8 May 2010: Larry McComb, Venus' father, states that investigators took into their possession a plastic tarp wrapper that was found in the driveway on the morning of Venus' disappearance. McComb is certain that the wrapper is not his and states that he believes that it fell out of the vehicle of the person who abducted his daughter. McComb and his wife Therese also claim that Doug Stewart will not tell them whether or not he was at work on the day that Venus disappeared, instead claiming that he has told police all details of his whereabouts on Monday, April 26. Police continue to assert that Doug Stewart is not cooperating with the investigation.

Dana Jones, who lives at River Park Apartments, tells Newport News media that, earlier in the investigation of Venus Stewart's disappearance, Michigan State Police had visited the high-rise apartment building where Doug Stewart lives, causing a commotion unusual for the apartment residents. Kiara Roundtree, whose boyfriend lives in the apartment building, said, "I saw, like, cops lined up, and people were just staring, like, wondering what's going on. People that live on the ninth floor were saying they saw the cops on the ninth floor, like, kind of knocking on someone's door."

WHO'S WHO IN THE VENUS STEWART CASE:

VS - Venus Rose McComb Stewart, 32, who disappeared from her parents home in Colon, MI, on 4-16-10.
DS - Douglas Harrie Stewart, 29 (?), estranged husband of Venus Stewart.
LM - father of Venus Stewart, in whose home Venus and her children have lived since Feb. 2010.
TM - mother of Venus Stewart, in whose home Venus and children have lived since Feb. 2010.
BS - daughter, 5, of Venus and Doug Stewart.
RS - daughter, 3, of Venus and Doug Stewart.

LOCAL MEDIA:

MLIVE - Kalamazoo (MI) Gazette newspaper and local media site.
WTVB Radio - AM radio in Branch County, MI.
WOODTV - NBC TV station in Grand Rapids, MI.
WZZM13 - CBS TV station in Western Michigan.
WWMT - CBS station for Kalamazoo, Battle Creek, and Grand Rapids, MI.
WNDU - NBC TV in South Bend, MI.
Daily Reporter - Coldwater, MI, newspaper.
Battle Creek Enquirer - newspaper in Battle Creek, MI.
Sturgis Jornal - Sturgis, MI, newspaper.
WAVY - Newport News, VA, NBC TV station.
WVEC - Hampton Roads, VA, ABC TV station.

LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT NEWS:

MSP Twitter - official twitter account for Michigan State Police, frequently updated.
MSP News Releases - official press releases by Michigan State Police.

CASE-RELATED LINKS:

Douglas Stewart's Myspace - see family videos.
Case Archive Album - a must-see link of case-related photos compiled by WSer AmandaReckonwith (thanks!)
Map of case-related locations - under construction - check back soon.
Sierra1947 Youtube - archive of all Nancy Grace shows.

THE VICTIM - VENUS ROSE MCCOMB STEWART:

Venus Stewart is described as a white female, 5-feet, 4-inches tall and weighing 130 pounds. She has brown eyes and dark hair.

Click the image below to go to a slideshow of photos related to this case.

IF YOU HAVE INFORMATION:

Police ask anyone with information about Venus Stewart’s whereabouts to call the State Police post in White Pigeon at 269-483-7611, or the MSP Rockford Regional Dispatch Center at (616) 866-6666 or 911.

"The people who live in the area who have seen him said he was disheveled and was wet and without a shirt and asking for a cigarette," said First Lt. Mike Risco, commander of the Michigan State Police at White Pigeon. "At this time he is not a suspect; however detectives would like to speak to him."
http://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/...1002/NEWS01/Search-still-on-for-missing-woman

Is Doug a smoker?

According to his MS no.....

http://www.myspace.com/dougstewart44

BBM (bolded by me)

Did a background check on Venus' dad and, if I have the right person, he is 54yo, with no criminal record. 54yo seems kind of young to have Alzheimers. Maybe Venus didn't have a chance to scream. Moo

His behavior on TV looks like sheer exhaustion to me. He is probably staying up all hours trying to protect his household and his grandchildren, and I don't blame him.

His behavior on TV looks like sheer exhaustion to me. He is probably staying up all hours trying to protect his household and his grandchildren, and I don't blame him.

You're right pufnstuf - grieving alone can exhaust a person and he has so much to worry about.

Did I read on the thread that the grandparents were needing clothes for the children? TIA

You're right pufnstuf - grieving alone can exhaust a person and he has so much to worry about.

Did I read on the thread that the grandparents were needing clothes for the children? TIA

Yes. Venus' brother Dustin Jasper is requesting that his church members help out the kids with clothes:

Venus Stewart - Please continue to pray for Dustin Jasper's sister. There is still no news to her whereabouts due to an abduction on Monday. Leading up to this, she had taken her two girls and left her husband in Virginia recently and was not able to get their clothes and toys from him. Dustin said that if anyone could help with some donations, it would be helpful as they are in need and very scared. Xxxxxx is age 5 and wears size 6. Xxxxxxx is 3 and wears size 5. They don't need shoes. If you bring your donations to the church on Sunday, he'll arrange to get them to the girls. Pray for Dustin's mom as this is very, very hard on her. Teresa came to FFM for a few months many years ago. The state police and FBI are looking for any leads in this case, so if you know of any you can contact the state police station. Here's another news article on the situation.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2010/04/missing_st_joseph_county_woman_1.html

Pray for Dustin too as this is so hard on the family.

http://ffmcentreville.com/index.php?s=au&nid=102423

published 45 minutes ago

Person of interest sought in missing Colon woman case
Updated:5/7/2010 11:17:41 AM - Posted: 5/7/2010 9:59:01 AM

genthumb.ashx

The Michigan State Police Post in White Pigeon, Michigan is looking for information about a person of interest in the case of a missing Colon Twp. woman.

snip

The person police are looking for is a white male in his late 20's to early 30's, approximately 5'5" to 5'8" tall, and approximately 150 to 160 pounds. He was last seen in the area of Adams Lake in northeast St. Joseph County, about one mile east of the site from where Venus Stewart was last seen. Witnesses tell police that the man had been acting suspiciously prior to Stewart's disappearance.

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/most_popular_story.aspx?storyid=121322&provider=top

If the husband did it.. I hope the LE gets physical evidence and proof because if not, and they do not identify the man in the sketch, I forsee a very good defense attorney jumping on the man in the sketch. I wish they would make up their minds if "sketchman" is a POI or not.

If the husband did it.. I hope the LE gets physical evidence and proof because if not, and they do not identify the man in the sketch, I forsee a very good defense attorney jumping on the man in the sketch. I wish they would make up their minds if "sketchman" is a POI or not.

I agree with you that a defense attorney will latch onto these sightings.

If I were an investigator, I'd be checking out all of Doug's Michigan associates and family members.

In the video at his father's home where B is riding the tractor with Grandpa Stewart, you can see a gray dual cab Ford pick-up in the background. I'd be looking into that if I were an investigator.

Trying to ascertain now how many siblings Doug has. So far, I think that he has two or three brothers... one of them that I found in no way resembles the photo... he appears bigger than Doug and has strawberry blonde hair and a beard.

The way that the MSP are holding their cards close, I'd guess that they're already looking into Doug's VA and MI associates.

RE the timeline... after I get the basic timeline fleshed out, I'll add a "cast of characters" and then open it up for any recommended additions.

I've got to go help my mom for a few hours... will be back later, so if you have any recommendations, please send a PM to me!

The way the home is built might have some bearing on why he did not hear her if she screamed.
*If* the garage was back there next to the propane tank, and the bedrooms were on the other side of the house, it might be impossible.

Also the person who got her might have said "scream and I will kill them" so she protected what she could. She knew he was coming to get her. She knew nothing could prevent it.

Hard of hearing and exhaustion and maybe even some guilt because he didnt hear anything.

I was just wondering.........Do you think Doug has/had a girlfriend in Newportnews? Ive heard sorta 25th handed down gossip/backyard/overthefence/told by the neighbor of the neighbor that her initials are LD.

If it's a girlfriend, would she lie about his alibi for him?

I wish we knew more about the alibi. Maybe even clearer reporting (as if lol) because one article I read says cops talked to him on Tuesday night, another says a few days. And on here someone said that same day.
So that is confusing.

So if he does live with someone, maybe LD, has she said he was there when he wasn't?

As far as the wet guy at Adams Lake, I wonder if that wasn't just some guy chasing a lost dog or something just as nuts. Maybe nothing to do with this.

Well this is certainly a strong statement.

Updated: 6:08 PM May 7, 2010
Police searching for another man in Michigan woman's disappearance
Michigan State Police continue their search for a missing St. Joseph County woman.
Posted: 4:05 PM May 7, 2010

Police think her husband, 29-year-old Douglas Stewart, abducted her from her parents Colon Township home.

http://www.wndu.com/hometop/headlines/93133274.html

Missing mom case leads to Newport News

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) - Police in Western Michigan are pursuing leads on a missing persons case in Newport News.

Investigators enlisted the help of the Newport News police department to find clues about a woman they fear is dead. Venus Stewart disappeared on April 26. Her estranged husband, Douglas Stewart, lives in Newport News.

Earlier this year a court awarded Venus custody of their 3 and 5-year-old daughters, and she moved to her parent's home in St. Joseph County near Kalamazoo, Mich.

Police have not named Douglas as a suspect, but court records show investigators believe he may be involved.

According to court documents filed in Newport News Circuit Court, a Michigan detective had concerns Venus "may have been abducted" and "may have been killed."

Records show that when Michigan State police went to Venus's parents home, the last place anyone saw her, they quickly learned Venus and Douglas separated in February. They realized there was a protection order on file. Police said Venus had told several people she was "afraid" that if she left her husband he would "take me, kill me. and come back for the kids."

Douglas Stewart lives in a high rise apartment in Newport News. He told a 10 On your Side sister station he was in Virginia when his wife disappeared. 10 On your Side was unable to reach him for comment.

On April 28, a Newport News sergeant found a silver 2005 Dodge, four-door, pickup truck parked outside Douglas' apartment building. Michigan police wrote to Newport News counterparts that there may be evidence in the truck.

The affidavit for a search warrant explained, Venus owned a silver 2005 Dodge, four-door, pickup truck. Douglas had possession of the truck. A witness in Michigan told investigators she saw someone "crouched behind" a similar truck, just before Venus disappeared.

More at link...

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/newport_news/missing-mom-case-leads-to-newport-news

OK. the article above says that Venus owned the pick up truck, but Doug had possession of it. I am confused.

Does anyone have the link where you can watch Nancy Grace (gack) online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth