Brain-eating amoeba is killing swimmers

the last fatality was a 14 yr old boy who swam in Lake Havasu. That is very close to me. The authorities decided that there was no need to panic and it is safe to swim in Lake Havasu...just plug your nose when you go in the water....oh my freekin gawd!

ok, do we look that stupid?

It sounds as if this is limited to warm-water lakes. But I won't be swimming in one any time soon.

http://www.pe.com/localnews/murrieta/stories/PE_News_Local_C_rare21.4385bfd.html?npc
Late last month, his family and friends finally got some answers. But the news was not good. Moore, 43, who is married and has three teenage children, is suffering from a rare and usually fatal parasitic meningoencephalitis caused by a brain-eating amoeba found in soil.
"This has been a total nightmare," said his wife, Sherry Moore, 42. "He's very, very sick, and the prognosis just doesn't look good. At this point, we're all praying for a miracle. Our faith is what's getting us through." (much more plus pics at link)

:(

From Taximom's link:

Dr. Fred Schuster, a researcher with the state Department of Public Health in Richmond, said there likely are many more undiagnosed human cases of Balamuthia mandrillaris infection.
:eek: Makes one wonder how many undiagnosed cases there are.
Prayers to Mr. Moore and his family.

WOW..UGG. This sounds like something out of a science fiction movie. :eek:

Oh, the tears...... my thought are with this family. They will forever have the support of there "firefighter families". I pray for Miracle.

From the daughter of a retired Pomona firefighter...

ORLANDO, Fla (Reuters) - A dangerous amoeba that thrives in warm, freshwater bodies in the heat of summer caused the recent death of a 16-year-old Central Florida girl, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control confirmed on Monday.

Courtney Nash died Saturday, 10 days after she, her brother and four friends went swimming August 3 in the St. Johns River on Florida's east coast, her uncle, Thomas Uzel, said at a news conference.

http://news.yahoo.com/amoeba-blamed-swimming-death-florida-222005527.html

May she RIP and may the Lord comfort her family. I hope everyone who swims in such areas are extra careful!

I grew up far further south in Florida, where the water is probably warmer than 80 degrees most of the year, and the rule was "no swimming in fresh water" ever.

I think I see why. What a shame.

This happens almost every year! So sad.
We live near silver springs in FL and that's the ONLY water I would let my son swim in besides a pool (in the summer)
My heart goes out to the family. So sudden and unexpected after a day of fun with friends and family....

This happens almost every year! So sad.
We live near silver springs in FL and that's the ONLY water I would let my son swim in besides a pool (in the summer)
My heart goes out to the family. So sudden and unexpected after a day of fun with friends and family....

I lived briefly in North Florida as well. I assume the springs are safer because the water stays so much colder.

I remember it being a rare thing for the temperature to top 100 in the state, but my aunt in Orlando says they've had numerous days over 100 this summer.

ETA I don't see how you can stop kids from playing and stirring up the bottom while swimming. Your solution--no swimming in fresh water (except for the springs) in the summer--seems the only answer.

I have honestly never heard of this in my whole life .
16 years old - how sad
I would never swim in anything but a pool in Florida . I am terrifed of the thought of alligators

Oh my lord. The mother of one of the victims a nine year old boy was on CNN today over the telephone and I didn't hear what all she said but I had walked into the room with a laundry basket and sat down as she was talking

I bawled like a baby listening to her talk about her sons illness and death. That just slayed me. Christian Alexander Strickland . Beautiful child.

I've heard about this before. http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/naegleria/

It *usually* happens when someone is diving or pushing their face under the body of water hard KWIM? That forces the parasite up the nose.
Rare but deadly.

http://www.lake.wateratlas.usf.edu/upload/documents/fact_sheetAmoebae.pdf

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member