**Verdict watch weekend discussion thread** 3/3-4/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
The assumption is that you run completely out of gas and get much better gas mileage than the Explorer showed it got on several other tanks of gas. I know I would not run my vehicle to the last drop, especially if I had just killed my wife. I suspect that presentation was compelling to the jury.

Well, I guess we are all different, cause it appears JLY did just that.
Unlike the first trial, the state proved that was possible and deflated Collins's argument at closing.

The assumption is that you run completely out of gas and get much better gas mileage than the Explorer showed it got on several other tanks of gas. I know I would not run my vehicle to the last drop, especially if I had just killed my wife. I suspect that presentation was compelling to the jury.

I agree, also most people would not risk driving with anything incriminating in their car any longer than they had to, either.

The Pros tried to imply that Jason still had bloody clothes and the weapon for miles and miles until he supposedly got gas at King,NC.

Can you imagine running out of gas with evidence from the crime scene you just left?

Collins gas mileage chart was excellent both times at the trial, so much so, that the Pros felt the need to answer it this time
around.

The last time they were caught off guard, but Collins got them again.

Even if he used a weapon he had to hold it in his hands.... His hand could have gotten in the way just like a person when using a hammer and smashes their finger.....

Yes I said it wasn't in court under testimony.... Im sorry but a beating like MY had would leave something on the murderer...

That's pure speculation. You have no idea what weapon was used - golf club, fire poker, whatever. She was surprised by her attacker while in her bed - stunned, overwhelmed, and hardly able to put up much of a fight (died right at the bedside), other then trying to protect her head with her hands. She had no chance - it was a one way fight - all him on her.

ITA none of us can be completely sure. What I do remember was the ME when asked if any of Michelle's injuries could have been done by a bare hand, the ME said he supposed the injury to her mouth could have been done by a fist, and of course the neck injuries from attempted strangulation was done by a hand.
But, the cause of death remains blunt force, which definitely means not done with bare hands, lol. I don't see what kind of marks that would leave on your hands, especially if gloves were worn. Am I right to say the poster stated this was not testimony, if was a FBI guy talking about the case, not in the courtroom, under oath ?

I havent read the full AR, Jane. Did she have other bruises on her body that did not result in gaping wounds or fractures?

tia

Well, I guess we are all different, cause it appears JLY did just that.
Unlike the first trial, the state proved that was possible and deflated Collins's argument at closing.

Could you please show me the link.

I agree, also most people would not risk driving with anything incriminating in their car any longer than they had to.

The Pros tried to imply that Jason still had bloody clothes and the weapon for miles and miles until he supposedly got gas at King,NC.

Can you imagine running out of gas with evidence from the crime scene you just left.

Collins gas mileage chart was excellent both times at the trial, so much so, that the Pros felt the need to answer it this time
around.
The last time they were caught off guard.

How did the prosecution try to imply this??? There was no trail of blood from the upstairs through the downstairs out the door and into the car and that's what the prosecution said.

I havent read the full AR, Jane. Did she have other bruises on her body that did not result in gaping wounds or fractures?

tia

IIRC, she had some abrasions on her shoulder, but for the most part I think most of her injuries were deep, deep wounds to her head, and a fractured (in two places) jaw. Just a horrible way to die, so undeserving/senseless.

But it happens.... I live in Columbus, Ohio & in the past yr home invasions during the night has been increasing.. And they have been violent... The lastest one was Feb 24.... A 65-year-old man who awoke to a pummeling Friday morning as he was thrown down a flight of stairs and kicked.

yes as i said most, not all, happen when the house is likely empty if burglary is the only motive.

and i sincerely hope that the man's loved ones have cooperated with police (with legal counsel if desired) and they hope that there IS an arrest.

if they instead fled town without asking what happened to him and wanted to disappear...

I agree, also most people would not risk driving with anything incriminating in their car any longer than they had to, either.

Can you imagine running out of gas with evidence from the crime scene you just left?

around.

The last time they were caught off guard, but Collins got them again.

To be honest, if JLY could pull off this crime, he has to be brilliant. So, why would he not know he needed more gas, therefore buying more gas in gas cans. There is no proof that he did that either.

Could you please show me the link.

I don't have the link on the state's testimony regarding the gas mileage, but I do know they presented evidence during the trial to show that it was possible. Also, said that the DT's argument relied on JY's getting lost, but who would believe him??

How did the prosecution try to imply this??? There was no trail of blood from the upstairs through the downstairs out the door and into the car and that's what the prosecution said.

Jason would still have to get rid of any evidence.

The Pros was trying to get the Jurors to notice the dumpsters by the McD's as his drop off place. (gas station-King, NC)

To be honest, if JLY could pull off this crime, he has to be brilliant. So, why would he not know he needed more gas, therefore buying more gas in gas cans. There is no proof that he did that either.

That would have made more sense, in his plan, to have a gas can..(s)

But, I don't buy the gas stop in King, NC, because they never found the other gas stop he would have had to made, on the other side
of Hillsville.

How lucky was LE to just find one gas stop with a cash receipt, no video surveillance, and a witness who was never found.

jmo

<modsnip>

Yes Steeler I heard Mike Brooks talking about the case on HLN I believe. He said, IIRC and in my own words, that in his experience he would have a hard time believing that JY's hands wouldn't have had "something" wrong with him, at the very least he would have expected some swelling and there was none.

I think this is an interesting point and worth discussing if anyone chooses.

Yes Steeler I heard Mike Brooks talking about the case on HLN I believe. He said, IIRC and in my own words, that in his experience he would have a hard time believing that JY's hands wouldn't have had "something" wrong with him, at the very least he would have expected some swelling and there was none.

I heard Mike Brooks too, he has been really good on this case.

The lack of any physical injuries on Jason's body has always been a plus for me.

Swelling from what? 30 blows to someone's head with a long heavy object is going to cause his hands to swell and stay swollen for 7 days?

I have been very surprised by Mike Brooks' opinions about this case. He is usually pro-prosecution and LE no matter what the case happens to be.

While I dont particularly care for MB sometimes he does have an extensive record in law enforcement.

He also said he had been to many crimes scenes where the victim or victims were overkilled and the perp turned out to be a stranger.

IMO

I heard Mike Brooks too, he has been really good on this case.

The lack of any physical injuries on Jason's body has always been a plus for me.

Ugh. I guess all convicted killers who had no injuries after the time of the murder should be set free immediately.

We do NOT know that the killer hit MY with his hands (that is speculation only).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member