NY NY - The Alphabet Killings, Rochester

Just watched the movie on Netflix...Whoever posted upthread that this was about the detective's breakdown was right...Was the "math instructor/tutor/mentor" ever looked into? TIA

The Alphabet Killings or Double Initial killings as some call them occurred in the Rochester area in the early 70's. They are called the Alphabet Killings because all three victims had double initials. 10 year old Carmen Colon's body was found in Chili (Rochesterarians pronounce it Chy-lie), 11 year old Wanda Walkowicz's body was found in Webster and 11 year old Michelle Maenza was found in Macedon. All three had been sexually assaulted and strangled to death. This is Rochester's most infamous unsolved murders and one of the countries most fascinating unsolved murders.

It was believed at one time that Kenneth Bianchi may have been the killer because he lived in the Rochester area at the time but Bianchi denies it.

Here's a couple of articles. I thought it was a three part series of articles but only two are on the D&C website. Here's the first article about them.

Part #2

Fascinating case that is still unsolved.

Anyhoo, I felt this was a great article for the Websleuthers to read.

It's most likely somebody in authority who could lure the girls into his car and IMO, had access to names so he could get the girls with double initials. It was no accident IMO that he knew going in that the girls had double initial names.

Hi Dan,
So glad to see you brought this up in a thread. I watched The Alphabet killer last night on Lifetime and it brought back all the old memories. Too bad it wasn't real true to fact, but it seemed funny hearing the promos and I knew it was this story when they mentioned Churchville.
I think of this from time to time as I lived on the same street yrs. before Carmen Colon was killed.
Bev mentioned that it had to be someone who knew them and IIRC I believe detectives went down those avenues. IMO there could be a connection in as much as the mothers were all on Public assistance and to me that was always a strong lead. Who better to know their names and addresses than a social worker from the County? It's another strong tie IMO. I've spent years racking my brain to think about how this could have happened and how it has gone unsolved. Technology today would be the key here and as was mentioned, there were no cell phones then, so people who saw Carmen running on I 490 could have called LE.
Two last points I want to make, there is that guy Joe Naso who lived here and was arrested in Calif. for double initial murders, but they say his DNA doesn't match. Also Kenneth Bianchi who denies any involvement? Are we supposed to believe him or did they ever go into it any further with him?
Thanks for the links to the D&C articles.

This is the first I had heard of this so thank you. Will have to do more research on this

On Wednesday the 22nd, Investigation Discovery channel is having a show on these cases at 10pm.

Sorry for the lateness of these replies but I may have been in the hospital or something when they were written. They never showed up on my CP page.

Did u ever hear back from the Monroe Sheriffs department?

No.

Here's another article about Joesph Naso: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42558019/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

That'd be one heck of coincidence if these killings aren't related.

His DNA doesn't match and they don't go into enough detail on his comings and goings around Rochester then. Hopefully the show tomorrow will shed more light on a lot of stuff.

There is a thread on this in the Serial Killer forum and has been discussed at length. My apologies for not catching it here.

After watching the show I'm convinced that Carmen Colon was killed by her uncle. The second girl who had DNA on her doesn't match any suspect so far. The third victim may or may not be related to the second killing. When you remove Carmen Colon from the mix. (Her uncle failed a lie detector test, had a car similar to the one last seen chasing CC, that the car had been cleaned, a doll belonging to Carmen was found in the car,his DNA didn't match that found on the second victim and that he ran away to Puerto Rico and when he returned he failed the polygraph and then offed himself.) You're left with two. So now it's just two double initial murders. Now we're getting closer to coincidence.

Those who've been eliminated from doing all three murders.

The Fireman
Carmen Colon's Uncle
The new guy in California
Gary Ridgeway

I have to say that I'm very weirded out by how many serial killers have passed through this city.

by the sketches that were released in the News Papers Dec 1973?

He could have gone into hiding or even moved.

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2012-01-12/news/30621168_1_serial-killer-joseph-naso-diary

Suspected serial killer kept rape diary, macabre photos: authorities

NANCY DILLON
Thursday, January 12, 2012

...Naso also once lived in the Rochester area and traveled there as a freelance photographer in the early 1970s, authorities said.

Officials have said there’s no hard evidence tying Naso to the Rochester case, and one attempt to match him with DNA taken from one of the New York victims didn’t work.

“You have no idea the man hours that have gone into this,” a New York State Police source told the Daily News last year.

There is a thread on this in the Serial Killer forum and has been discussed at length. My apologies for not catching it here.
Actually, Joseph Naso was just recently on trial here in CA, so his thread may be in the trials forum???
There is evidence that he killed 4 females with double initials.

Actually, Joseph Naso was just recently on trial here in CA, so his thread may be in the trials forum???
There is evidence that he killed 4 females with double initials.
Nope. It's in the Serial Killer forum

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75191"]CA Joseph Naso, once a suspect in NY Alphabet Murders, now on trial in California - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

My theory is that the killings stopped once the composite drawing was posted in the News. Anyone else have thoughts on this or other reasons why the killings stopped?

I'm born, raised, and still in Rochester, Ny. These murders are what brought out my inner sleuth. As a child, in elementary school, my teachers in 6th grade actually allowed us to discuss these cases. I'm still fascinated by them.

Having recently read Cheri Farnsworth's short but excellent book on the case, I'm very intrigued by the suspect seen with a young girl matching Michelle Maenza's description near where her body was later found. This man was later positively identified by the eyewitness who saw him and his vehicle again and was able to get the plate number to law enforcement. However, he was ruled out via polygraph and it is unclear whether he was also subjected to DNA testing when the technology became available.

Does anyone know more about this man?

I just recently became aware of this. Yikes! I may have missed it in what I've been able to find, but did any of the "profilers" put forth a potential reason'logic/symbolism for the initials (name & location)? Also, is there anything fairly recent about this?

I just recently became aware of this. Yikes! I may have missed it in what I've been able to find, but did any of the "profilers" put forth a potential reason'logic/symbolism for the initials (name & location)? Also, is there anything fairly recent about this?

Pretty much everyone in LE chalked it up to coincidence.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back