CA CA - Mack Ray Edwards, Dead, But Victims Still Missing

Tuffy101

Thank you for your contribution to this thread. Don't worry about any delay in transferring anything, LOL, the only thing I know how to do is get online and "cut and paste."

I do think it's a strong possibility this may have been one of his victims. The time-line of how 'old' they think the victim is leads me to this conclusion.

Of course, it honestly seems possible there are many 'bodies' strewn along the California Highways. Good grief! What a more 'convenient' place to quickly dispose of a body than a California freeway. Think of the miles and miles of unattended or infrequently visited killing ground freeway roadsides than California, compared to the population.

This body was in a 'shallow grave,' which means there was forethought in this case. Oh, and it appears it was more than probable it was 'murder' seeing as how it was found in a "shallow grave."

JMHO
fran

the shallow gave is what made me think its Edwards and 20years .
back in the treads I posted a map of both freeways that are right at the address of Brown and Tompkins............and this is too close for me if carl found a work site history for Hwy.construction ?
I will see what I can find out Thou it said dismembered ?

No, I haven't yet received any information from Cal Trans on the work history of Mack Ray Edwards. That is those sections of the freeway he was working on when all those poor kids disappeared. I'll hit him up again one of these days. I'd like to know what section he was working on when Karen Tompkins disappeared. That's sure to be the key to where her body is buried.

It's all tied up with Caltrans records and I don't know if any effort is being made at the state level to check those records!

Still I hope.

Maybe I'll write a letter to the gov.

I am glad you are all looking into this. I am Karen's sister &
the LAPD cold case squad is trying to get all the records on
Mack Ray Edwards. I just wanted to thank you all for still
looking & let you know that the Detective on Karen's case
really cares. Thank you,
Karen's Sister

Thanks for your note. Karen's case depends on finding out exactly where Mack Ray Edwards was working on the day Karen disappeared. I still can't seem to find out if there was freeway construction on-going near Halldale school on the friday of her disappearace. Edwards may have seen Karen while at a construction site parking area, maybe near quitting time.
Edwards work-history is the key. WHere was he on the date of her disappearance?

I'm not giving up on this.

Thinking maybe Karen might have walked past some construction in progress near Halldale school, I'm sending a quiery to the USGS in search of
historic aerial photographs. Hoping for a photo taken shortly after Karen's disappearance and shortly before. If I get good enough photos, at a low enough altitude, I might be able to compare the two and look for possible anomalies on the ground.

It's a long shot but it might work, my thinking is that Karen's remains are located nearby at some project under construction when she disappeared.

Could be Harbor Freeway; could be some other project. Looking at old building and safety records for LA city, I noticed some homes that were built or being built near the Halldale school at about the time Karen dissappeared.

Thinking about area and Old News Paper accounts of Caltran freeway Projects that made it into the news and often did story with photos and locations and since they are talking expanding 405 and others this summer ......a call to channel 9 news with your efforts ...they would have better access to coverage and events of that time period....lending a hand and become interested in this case....just an idea !

I've also come across a record of an award of a reservoir contract in 1960 to Kirst Constructin of Altadena California. Altadena is not far from where
Tommy Bowman and Bruce Kremen disappeared. I'm going to see if I can
find the application for bid and get perhaps some history of Kirst Construction companies prior projects. Could TOmmy Bowman and Bruce Kremen be buried somewhere near the yard site for teh business. If Edwards work for Kirst at the time of the disppearance of those boys he could have gotten into the yard site after hours and buried the remains.
I've got a lot more sleuthing to do through public records. Right now I want to concentrate on Karen Lynn Tompkins.
Stay tuned....

Freeway Plan Calls for Crosstown Cut
Westerly Glendale Route OKd

August 13,1961

The Board of Public Works Friday awarded a $791,993 contract to the Vernon Paving Co., for construction of a controversial access road to the Dodgers baseball stadium in Chavez Ravine.
Ventura County

The three mile segment of the Ventura Freeway from Palm Street to Emma Wood State Park began construction on February 28, 1961. This construction included a one mile segment of the Ojai Freeway (Route 33), which replaced a hazardous at-grade intersection that had originally existed. The project was completed in May 1963.

These are two that were under construction in august 1961 as Edwards said Ventura Freeway I noted the date this was started viewing LA Times and www search .............http://www.cahighways.org/maps-sc-fwy.html History of caltran Freeway
I just received an PM from Hayrom Brown one of the chief enginers He gave me the email address to Environmental Impacts that has reports to further isolate projects start and ending dates....
Maybe able to get address for Edwards from www and add to his work History and freeway projects.

I found an old aerial photo of the area, including Karen Lynn Tompkins school and her house. This was taken in 1963 at an altitude of 15,000 feet. Seems the route to her house would have taken her over an old slough area which was not built up until the 1970s or thereabouts. In 1963 it would be the perfect place for an ambush. Can't see any ground details yet.
I think I'm going to have to have the photo professionally enhanced, so I can see things clearly from a similulated altitude of 1000 feet. I'm also researching the possibility of another aerial photo taken in 1961, the year of her disappearance. If I can find it, this may prove even more helpful. I may have to have it enhanced professionally too.
Still haven't been able to find out if Mack Ray Edwards was working in the area at the time of Karen's disappearance.

Stay tuned.....

While looking at old records in the Pasadena California library today, I found a reference to Kirst Construction company. It shows an address of 836 West Woodbury Road, Altadena California. This location is not very far from the last known location of Tommy Bowman. Tommy Bowman disappeared close to the intersection of W. Altadena Drive and Lincoln Avenue. From there it's a short drive to the West Woodbury Road Location. Could Tommy Bowman be buried near that property?
It is known that Mack Ray Edwards worked for Kirst Construction. The Woodbury Drive location is intriguing because originally it looks as if it backed up against the 210 Freeway abutment. Edwards like to bury his victims near freeways. The property was split, but I think originally it was under one ownership and was an equipment yard.
I'm going to get a little more information and then turn everything I've got over to the local sheriff.

Fifty years after Tommy Bowman vanished from an Upper Arroyo Seco trail, Pasadena police have relabeled the case a homicide. Cold-case detectives believe Tommy was the victim of Mack Ray Edwards, as suggested earlier this year by local author Weston DeWalt and a team of investigators from other law-enforcement agencies.
But now, as DeWalt seeks to fill the gaps in Edwards' criminal biography, Pasadena's prime suspect falls under suspicion of unsolved crimes from Santa Barbara to Tijuana, prompting police to consider the unsettling possibility he might have murdered the most children in state history.
"Everybody needs to know about Mack Ray, who may be one of the most prolific child killers in history," said Pasadena police Detective John Dewar. "DeWalt's done a magnificent job, and I have to give him credit for everything we've been able to do up to this point. I'd hire him any day as a detective here."
Although Pasadena's new cold-case unit shares DeWalt's belief about where Tommy's body could be buried, the 63-year-old investigative journalist has added six more children he suspects Edwards killed.

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/ci_7174165?source=most_viewed

Carl W. Goss;1390438 The LA Times had a story the other day on Mack Ray Edwards, a 51 year old man who told police that he killed six kids over a twenty-year period in and around LA County. This was in 1970. Edwards died in prison in 1972 but not before claiming that he actually killed 18 kids.

If I get anything I'll post it here.

By Janette Williams, Staff Writer
Article Launched: 10/02/2008 05:30:57 PM PDT

OP please provide link

Roger Madison, 15, who disappeared in 1968.
PASADENA - Excavation will start Monday at a freeway overpass where authorities believe 15-year-old Roger Madison was buried 40 years ago, a victim of child serial killer Mack Ray Edwards.
Edwards, the man who abducted Tommy Bowman from Altadena Drive in 1957, confessed to killing six children, including Madison and two 11-year-olds in Azusa who vanished on a neighborhood bike ride.
Related Story: Caltrans records may aid search
Related Story: Searching for Tommy
But Pasadena author Weston DeWalt is convinced Edwards - who committed suicide on San Quentin's Death Row in 1970 - could be

OP please provide link

KTLA News

October 10, 2008

MOORPARK -- Los Angeles Police Department investigators have suspended the search for the body of a 16-year-old San Fernando Valley boy missing since 1968 who was believed to have been buried next to a local freeway.

The search for the remains of Roger Dale Madison was called off after no significant evidence was found, according to LAPD officials. A memorial for the teen was held at the site Friday morning. The victim's sister and other family and friends were on hand for the memorial.

Investigators had hoped to find the remains of Madison who was believed to have been killed by a child serial murderer 40 years ago. Investigators say Mack Ray Edwards confessed to fatally stabbing the boy and burying him near the 23 Freeway before hanging himself in 1971 while on death row at San Quentin.

The digging, which began Monday morning, took place beside what are now the southbound lanes of Highway 23 at the Tierra Rejada Road exit, just south of where the freeway bends east, becoming the Ronald Reagan (118) Freeway.

Tents, tractors, and police vehicles clustered around the dig location all week long. Police shut down the southbound Tierra Rejada Road off ramp on the 23 Freeway and the on ramp from westbound Tierra Rejada to the southbound 23 during the excavation.

The Moorpark location is about 25 miles from the Arleta home where Madison was last seen alive on Dec. 14, 1968.

Edwards, a heavy-equipment operator, told Los Angeles police in 1970 that he had killed six boys and girls over a 15-year period.

He later told a Los Angeles County jailer that the real number of victims was closer to 18, making him the most notorious serial killer of children in California history.

Police believe he buried the children near the freeway construction sites where he worked during California's freeway-building boom of the 1950s and '60s.

Each body they find gives them more information about his methods, which could help link him to other crimes.

Before his death, Edwards provided key details that led investigators to the site where he disposed of his first victim, eight-year-old Stella Darlene Nolan, who disappeared in 1953.

Her remains were unearthed in Downey, under 8 feet of earth, near a bridge abutment under the Santa Ana Freeway.

Mack, who moved to Los Angeles from Arkansas, also described killing Madison, a friend and classmate of his teenage son.

He reportedly told detectives, "You'll never find Roger. He's under the concrete, his family is not rich and he's under the Freeway."

He told detectives he used a bulldozer to dispose of the youth somewhere along the 23 Freeway in Thousand Oaks, during the time when that freeway was being built.

"It was his intimate knowledge of these often desolate sites, where it was easy to dispose of a body with little danger of discovery, that I think allowed him to kill repeatedly," said LAPD Det. Vivian Flores.

"His work was a huge part of it. It was essential to his crimes."

The description Edwards initially gave detectives was so broad that it fit most parts of the freeway, which connects Thousand Oaks to Simi Valley.

But after police went public with the long-forgotten cases last year, tips came in that helped them narrow the field considerably, Flores said.

Serial Killer Mack Ray Edwards Suspected In 1961 Disappearance, Dogs Find 'Area Of Interest'

Investigators now believe Ramona Price, a 7-year-old girl who went missing 50 years ago in Santa Barbara, may have been a victim of serial killer Mack Ray Edwards, who is thought to have killed as many as 20 children.

On Wednesday morning, specially trained cadaver dogs searching for the little girl's remains of found "an area of interest," in a stretch of construction near Winchester Canyon Road and the 101 Freeway, said police, according to the L.A. Times.

At the time of Price's disappearance, Edwards was "a heavy-equipment operator" working on area construction projects, including the Winchester Canyon Road bridge.
Full Article: click here

Karen Lynn Tompkins and Dorothy Gale Brown's disappearances have always thought to have been connected. But are they?

I did some research and here's what I found:

Dorothy Gale Brown was last seen alive at 7 PM Tuesday at her trailer park home at 1820 Torrance Blvd. Torrance, California. Her nude body was found the next day just south of Corona Del Mar at Cameo Shore. The area is home to super-rich now, but at the time it was known as 'tin can beach.' Her bicycle was found at at 213rd Street, west of Bow Street, which was near the trailer park.

Cameo Shores is a bit of a drive from Torrance. There was an unidentified woman found murdered at Cameo Shores in 1989.
http://www.ocgov.com/ocgov/Sheriff-Coroner%20-%20Sandra%20Hutchens/Commands%20and%20Divisions/Professional%20Services%20Command/Coroner/Unidentified%20Dead/Jane%20DOES/89-02618-AB

I know that it is sad whenever anyone goes missing, but the case of Karen Lynn Tomkins really breaks my heart, somehow when I saw the photo of the little girl holding the kitten on the Doe Network site, she looks like such a nice kid.
KTompkins3.jpg

Hi every one. It is a bizarre coincidence that I ran across this forum as I was looking for something entirely different. As I read about freeway construction progress and ways to gain historic progress information, I thought of a few things. I'm a pilot and a geologist and have done some defense intelligence work... I can tell you that in busy airspace such as around LAX, the FAA updates their more detailed charts every couple of months -- not only for new obstacles etc but also for ground reference features such as freeways. One way the FAA did this, especially in the pre-satellite days, was via aerial photos. It is very possible that the construction of the freeways is well documented within the microfiche archives of the FAA.

In another coincidence, as I was looking for blueprints for a condo I'm buying in Torrance, I noticed on the City Of Torrance website that they have a whole archive of aerial photos, primarily to depict the city's growth throughout the decades. Their site said they had photos dated way back to times when this bad-guy was in his killing mode.

Good luck and I hope something I said helped!

While searching Ancestry for Mack Ray Edwards, I discovered the following in city directories:

1956 - Azusa - Edwards Mack R (Mary) opr Griffith Constr h5751 N Rockvale Az
1959 - Azusa - Edwards Mack R (Mary) equip opr h5751 N Rockvle Az ED 4-4463
1961 - Downey - Edwards Mack R (Mary) hvy equip opr Kirst Constr Co. (Altadena) h12932 Sandy Ln TO 9-5371
1964 - Granada Hills - Edwards Mack R 9430 Haskell 364-4180

Victim Donald Lee Baker lived at 5745 N Rockvale, Azusa, in 1956
Victim Gary Rocha lived at 10944 Haskell, Granada Hills, in 1968

While searching articles on the Dorothy Gale Brown case, I discovered two mentions of a Valerie Edwards, age, 9, friend of Brown and last person to see her alive. According to the articles, Valerie Edwards was also a resident of the trailer park where the Brown family lived. One article includes a photo of Valerie. One article says she is the daughter of Kenneth Edwards, the other states she is the daughter of Edna Edwards. I have been unsuccessful in locating any information on either. Since Mack Ray Edwards chose victims close to him (neighbors, sister-in-law), this Edwards family should be followed up on to see if they are a relation.

Also, has anyone discovered the identity of the 15-year-old accomplice to Mack Ray's last kidnapping? His son was the exact same age then.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back