Cases That Haunt You

I know it seems unbelievable that Jared's body wasn't found but it took a year before they found Chandra Levy's remains and they were in a park in Washington DC. The San Bernardino Mts. is a much more rugged and extensive area. I was out visiting in Los Angeles when this happened...it was a highly publicized case.

Kenneth Warren Hager- vanished in 1947 at age 11. Kenneth had epilepsy, never attended school and was very dependent on his mother. He had been known to wander off and once when he was found he had cigarrette burns all over his arm.

He has never been seen or heard from again. I believe this may be the oldest case in NCIC.

http://hometown.aol.com/kicbxnchick/

Kenneth Warren Hager- vanished in 1947 at age 11. Kenneth had epilepsy, never attended school and was very dependent on his mother. He had been known to wander off and once when he was found he had cigarrette burns all over his arm.

He has never been seen or heard from again. I believe this may be the oldest case in NCIC.

http://hometown.aol.com/kicbxnchick/

I am pretty sure he is. I haven't come across an older one.

All accounts I've read say he couldn't speak, so I am curious to know how he told his mother about the "bad boy" who had burned him. I assume he knew signs or could write to some degree, but I've never seen anything that says how.

Sharin' Morningstar Keenan has always haunted me. I was just a young child but I'll never forget it on the local news and in the papers.

Hi
I agree with you the murder of 8-yr-old Maddie Clifton in 1998 still haunts me too.I watched this unfold on the TV and newspaper where I lived.The family and friends praying she would come home and searching for her.It was very sad and up to today her murder still bothers me too.It's something I will never forget.It really made me pray and think about who are my kids friends and who are they playing with.

suzanne

For those still interested in the Maddie Clifton case, channel 4 (WJXT) here in Jacksonville will be doing a story about it next Thursday (Oct. 30th). It will be looking back at it 10 years later, and is supposed to include new info. For those of you not in Jacksonville, I believe the report would be available online later at news4jax.com.

I just realizes that it's not just a news report, but an entire special program about the case starting at 8pm EST.

The Jill Behrman case. She disappeared on a bike ride, and was found dead in the woods three years later. They obtained a confession that was very well corroborated. They drained a creek looking for her and didn't find her until the next year, twenty miles away. The people named in the original confession told no less than 22 people around town they did it. They ended up convicting a local petty thief. I know in my heart, and most people in this town know as well, that this man did not do it. We all know who did it. I don't normally buy into conspiracies, but I can't think of much that I wouldn't do to see this wrong righted.

The abduction of Michaela Joy Garecht in 1988. I was four years old when this happened, and living in the Bay Area. I think it was the first time I ever really heard about child abduction, and it has always had an impact on me.

The disappearance of Amy Billig.

Tara Calico and the photographs.

The Oklahoma girl scout murders in 1977, how utterly horrifying.

The disappearance of Maura Murray.

The Lady in the Dunes, unidentified homicide victim.

Grateful Dead Fan/Jason Doe, unidentified victim killed in a car accident in June of 1995.

The disappearance of Asha Degree in 2000. The way she was supposedly spotted walking along the highway in the middle of the night is so very eerie.

The abduction of Jacob Wetterling.

The Boy in the Box, unidentified victim found in 1957.

The missing trio from Forth Worth, Texas. What in the world happened to them?

Sharon Marshal/Franklin Floyd case. So many twists and turns, it is hard to believe it isn't a work of fiction.

The disappearance of the Lyon sisters.

The disappearance of Jackie Theel.

The disappearance of Beverly Potts.

There are more, I am sure. But those are the ones that come to mind right now.

definitely the murder of my friend, whom I posted about on here (Linda Hutchings) & since I've been reading other threads here, I'd have to say the 2 that are really getting to me are the UID couple in SC 1976 and the Grateful Dead Jason Doe. there are others, for sure...*sigh*

Yeah that South Carolina UID 1976 case is something else.
Ive almost purposely stayed away from that one except to very periodicaly check for updates.
I could tell right away that would be an easy one to get obsessive about. At least for me.

I know it seems unbelievable that Jared's body wasn't found but it took a year before they found Chandra Levy's remains and they were in a park in Washington DC. The San Bernardino Mts. is a much more rugged and extensive area. I was out visiting in Los Angeles when this happened...it was a highly publicized case.
Your Webname is awesome.
I love Gram Parsons.:)

Yeah that South Carolina UID 1976 case is something else.
Ive almost purposely stayed away from that one except to very periodicaly check for updates.
I could tell right away that would be an easy one to get obsessive about. At least for me.

totally! i started checking out some of the french missing persons listings that were posted...my french is rusty, but i can understand a bit--no pics, though :/

off topic, gram parsons = FAB! happy to chat more about him elsewhere :)

Grateful Doe,
Christopher Robin Coan
Lark Montague
Andrew Gosden (UK)
Madeleine McCann
John Spira
Luke Kemmerle

Julian(na) Carrozza, now located! *advertiser censored* you all... Hoping for truth!

Shecky- all the ones you listed are the exact same ones that haunt me too...along with a few local PNW stories (specifically the location of Bundy's victims)...hopefully we'll have answers to some or even all someday

I just joined this forum last week. It's really shocking to find out how many people go missing every year. Here are my choices.

1. Springfield three
2. Lyon sisters
3. Maura Murrey
4. Anna Waters

Cherrie Ann Mahan - Missing from Butler, Pennsylvania

She was only 8 years old. It was always upsetting to the community.
Lots of gossip. I was in the salon industry and her grandma seemed to be
the only family member that grieved for her so bad. My own children were
that age and this hit home in our rural area.

Sabrina Aisenberg
Amy Billig
Keith Call & Cassandra Hailey's disappearance.
JonBenet Ramsey
The true identity of Sharon Marshall.

The cases that haunt me most are local ones. Mary Ann Verdecchia, who was almost 10 years old when she disappeared in 1962. She went into the Martinique Apartments and was never seen again. The story was huge for the time, all over the 3 local broadcast TV stations newscasts, in the papers and on local radio. We've got that big 50,000 watt clear channel KDKA and you could get that clear down in Alabama at night. I was the same age as Mary Ann; it was a big shock that a kid could just disappear. It wasn't until I was older that I learned that an adult, Marcella Krulce, disappeared from the same building in 1959. Now either that building was in the Twilight Zone or a very weird serial killer/killers lived there. Or so it would seem.

Cherrie Mahan, who got off the school bus at the end of her own lane and was never seen again. Carol Jursik, a serious athlete murdered on her way home from a long run. She had stopped late at night to buy groceries and never made it home. A huge search began when she was reported missing. It took a few days for a neighbor to find the sack of groceries, which was in a neighboring driveway and hadn't even spilled. A tip directed police to a local park, where her body was found. The case was never officially solved, although there was speculation that she could have been the victim of a serial killer who was discovered years later when he tried to rape the wife of a state policeman. He may have preyed on women for years.

Brian Shaffer, Maura Murray, and the Springfield missing women would make the rest of my list.

The Buckskin Girl, found in Ohio in 1981. It amazes me that nobody has remembered seeing a freckled young redhead with braided pigtails wearing a fringed suede jacket and bellbottoms. :confused:

Karen Adams, missing from Independence Twp., PA since March 2007. I remember her smiling at my kids as she checked out our purchases at Big Lots.

"Follow Your Dreams" John Doe:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/218umny.html

Grateful Dead Fan
The Fort Worth Three

All the above I'd like to see found or identified for their safety and their family's peace of mind. For entirely nerdy reasons, the one I'd love to see solved within my lifetime? D.B. Cooper. I'm fascinated by the guy and his folk hero status. The one thing that gets me is that he seemed to have a strong regard for human life even though he stole $200K from the airline, as he specifically asked the last flight attendant in the plane with him to get in the cockpit before he opened the stairs and jumped. That little detail tells me he didn't want anyone getting killed during his hijacking. I'm actually far more interested in who he really was than what, if anything, he did after the heist.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back