GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that we cannot post any family pics of McD on here, but in one picture that I have seen of him, he was wearing a holster and was sliding about an 8-12" knife into it that looked like this: http://www.shopmania.com/hunting/p-maxam-12-7-8-apos-apos-fixed-blade-hunting-knife-skmx282-18365681

Thanks, McMunn.

The picture that I have seen was more like a filet or sword style of knife, that was embellished, or whatever, something like the one below, but hard to distinguish, because it is in the holder, on his hip.

Was SM a hunter or fisherman?

http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=fille...dsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:15,s:149&biw=1366&bih=622

Was SMcD known to wear knives on his person while at school?

Is wearing big knives in GA something that is "normal"? Like, a hunting thing?

Not only is it NOT normal, but it's also probably illegal to carry a big knife onto school property, including Universities. Check out this website for a layman's translation of Georgia's weapons law: http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php:

"Weapon - Are defined as a handgun or a knife (except 16-11-127.1 which has its own definition for weapon). (16-11-125.1)

Knife - A cutting instrument designed for the purpose of offense and defense consisting of a blade that is greater than five inches in length which is fastened to a handle.

Weapons on school property and functions: It is unlawful for a person to carry ANY type of weapon onto any real property (real estate... land or buildings) owned by or leased to any public or private elementary school, secondary school, or school board and used for elementary or secondary education, any public or private technical school, vocational school, college, university, or institution of post secondary education.

This code section does not apply to persons who have a valid Weapons Carry license . . . .

It has been mentioned here before that SM had a knife collection. Where did the info come from? Did he have his knife collection with him at school?

I know that we cannot post any family pics of McD on here, but in one picture that I have seen of him, he was wearing a holster and was sliding about an 8-12" knife into it that looked like this: http://www.shopmania.com/hunting/p-maxam-12-7-8-apos-apos-fixed-blade-hunting-knife-skmx282-18365681

Alright. I think we should not be discussing pictures we can't post, because I think I know which picture you mean and: (a) He's not sliding it into a holster and (b) it doesn't look like the picture you linked at all. You can only see the hilt and it looks like some sort of decorative sword hilt. The guy is a gamer. He has and wears chain mail. He probably has swords too.

The histrionics and linking to a menacing-looking weapon that likely bears no resemblance to whatever he was wearing on his belt in that picture is unfair and unsupportable.

Alright. I think we should not be discussing pictures we can't post, because I think I know which picture you mean and: (a) He's not sliding it into a holster and (b) it doesn't look like the picture you linked at all. You can only see the hilt and it looks like some sort of decorative sword hilt. The guy is a gamer. He has and wears chain mail. He probably has swords too.

The histrionics and linking to a menacing-looking weapon that likely bears no resemblance to whatever he was wearing on his belt in that picture is unfair and unsupportable.

I have seen a photo in which he wears a knife which looks almost exactly like that photo the OP McMunn linked, and you can see the entire blade in the photo of McD the OP is talking about as he is holding it and about to slide it into his holster. The OP had it right, you must have seen a different photo. But you're right that talking about photos we can't link will cause this kind of confusion ^

== Audio ==

AM940/WMAC (29m 54s)
http://www.wmac-am.com/includes/news_items/6/463/7oclockhour.mp3
* Relevant portion: 11:07 to 29:06 (~18min)
* This was an audio broadcast w/commentary of the Long Video from 24-WGXA

== Long Video ==

WGXA/24 (11m 39s)
http://www.newscentralga.com/news/local/June-30th-Interview-with-Stephen-McDaniel-126361528.html (Article w/Video)
http://cdn.bimfs.com/WGXA/5692f15a080c8f60832054049696a61d9cd497b3.mp4 (Direct Link)

== Short Video ==

WMAZ/13 (3m 05s)
http://www.13wmaz.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=1034114633001
* Footage from 2:07 to 3:05 is not included in Long Video (or Audio)
* Better picture quality than Long Video

== Audio/Video Overlap ==
Code:
          == Audio ==                       == Video ==
Commentary        Interview         Long (WGXA)       Short (WMAZ)
11:07 to 13:35
                  13:35 to 13:49
                  13:49 to 15:30    00:00 to 01:52
15:30 to 16:41
                  16:41 to 22:04    02:02 to 07:23
                  22:04 to 24:07    07:23 to 09:26    00:00 to 02:07
                                                      02:07 to 03:05
24:07 to 24:52
24:52 to 25:09    (Audio Muted)     09:40 to 09:58
                  25:09 to 26:47    09:58 to 11:39
26:47 to 29:06

It's times like this when I think "Hmm... Is there not something better I could be doing with my time???" :floorlaugh:

“…To even consider that LE would not warn or inform the public that there was a dangerous killer in the community would be the height of irresponsibility on their part. I cannot imagine that scenario in my wildest dreams that they are putting Macon citizens at risk of being murdered just because they don't want to create panic….” (from post 228, by Idreamofgenie)

To above post suggesting/concluding avoiding-public-panic is the reason LE is failing to issue a warning, I imagine another reason could be potential repercussions at trial.

If LE issues Dangerous-Killer-in-the-Community warning and if SMcD, who is now in custody, is ultimately prosecuted for the death, does this allow his defense attorney ---

to put LE witness on the stand to ask about the warning, the timing & circumstances, etc. and
in closing argument, argue (among other things) if LE issued a D-K-C warning while SMcD was in jail, then ---

---the evidence LE gathered early-on showed the D-K-C was “real killer” and

---LE planted or created evidence against SMcD to cover-up LE incompetence, etc. {BTW, I’ve read nothing to make me think there’s bn. any of this.} and

---The “real killer” is still out there, so the jury s/find the defendant not guilty {as we hear in so many closing arguments by defense counsel}.

The above is only speculation on my part about possible reason for no D-K-C warning and does not reflect my opinion re SMcD’s guilt or innocence.

Possible repercussions at trial may be a reason for LE not to issue a D-K-C warning any time someone is in jail on another charge and in a circumstance where LE can continue investigating the homicide.

My thoughts and prayers for victim and family in this awful crime, and to those investigating and prosecuting.

To Idreamofgenie and others, I stress my thoughts above offer an additional or alternative reason, not the only reason for LE’s no-warning.
:newhere:

Speaking In terms of tunnel vision versus keeping one's mind open to all possibilities(about who, how, why, when, where regarding a murder).. I just want to say that I can only speak for myself, tho I do feel that in the length of time being a member here and being familiar with several others I think it's quite possible that they could also feel quite similar.. But am not going to speak on behalf of anyone but myself..

I understand tunnel vision and I understand just how much true tunnel vision can work against an investigation(speaking of LE having tunnel vision).. Tho I see that with the vast majority LE is capable of handling it professionally without personal feelings or motives directing their judgement but there is always an exception to that and sadly we see that from time to time(perfect example Riley Fox case IMO).. I want to reiterate that I do NOT see this at all in this case and IMO this agency is doing the absolute best they can and with their not having a great deal of experience in such high profile cases I think they're doing a great job working hand in hand with the GBI and FBI..

Here on a board like WS tunnel vision unfortunately is an individual's right to have as their personal view.. It will not harm or misdirect the outcome of an investigation(thankfully).. And tho I feel the majority of people do not tend to get tunnel vision.. Some however do.. And that's ok, too.. It's not our job as members here to try to change other members view of how they see things.. It's one of the many things that sets apart WS and makes them miles apart from the rest of crime boards.. Everyone Is not only able to have their own view and opinion but they are even encouraged to voice that opinion and even detail the reasons they feel as strongly as they do about certain aspects of a case.. Tho, Of course at times, usually when tensions are high as well as frustrations every once in a while some us may get snippy or overly protective of our view or opinion.. That's when the great mods like bessie step in and remind us that we all are equal here and no one's opinion or view is better than or worse than anyone elses, nor is one's right and one's wrong... They are opinions and we all here are encouraged to voice ours.. Fact on the other hand is right or wrong and again this where mods like bessie will watch us like hawks to ensure that we stay miles apart from the other boards that are known to be nothing more than rumor mongers.. It's why it's so important to state it's jmo, moo, IMO.. And not an official fact..

So in going back to the tunnel vision versus keeping an open mind to all possibilities.. Personally I have found that I am 100% able to ALWAYS keep in my mind that throughout the entire investigation(and my God how many of us know investigations and cases can carry on for many years-Haleigh Cummings) and I find that even there tho, I greatly feel strongly about certain individuals and feel strongly about some of the who, the why, and the where.. But no matter how strongly I may feel I am always capable of receiving new information, additional and new details and perfectly capable of looking at them with a complete open mind.. Not allowing what I felt before this new info to influence what I feel or make of this new information that has come to light.. And if that new info is pointing away from someone that I was leaning toward as the perp then that is dually noted and a new important piece of the puzzle
Which is the entire grand scheme of the whole entire case and investigation.. It is NEVER discarded or ignored just because it's not damning information against the person whom I believe is the perp.. It is infact a new piece to the grand scheme of the puzzle and every bit just as important as every other piece that we have thus far.. I am perfectly capable of this and wondered years ago would I be when first beginning to watch as a case unfolded.. I am, as I believe many others here, too are able and capable to do just the exact same..

What I do find important tho is when looking at each piece of the puzzle, and incorporating each new detail or bit of info that is learned thus being another piece to the puzzle.. I think it is very important to not tear apart, nit pick to death each new found piece to the puzzle.. And this also is done many times as we see here in different cases.. Just because that new info, that newest piece may not jive with something one feels is a certain way and therefor it is challenged over and over and nit picked at, with each new piece similarly done the same.. So too will this destroy the puzzle that is piece by piece building itself to be.. If we are INCAPABLE of not being able to look back at the grand scheme of the puzzle as a whole AND NOT AS EACH INDIVIDUAL PIECE NIT PICKING AND CHALLENGING EACH PIECE RATHER THAN FINDING IT'S SPOT AND FITTING THE NEW PIECE INTO THE PUZZLE AS A WHOLE.. then so too is this negatively going to impact seeing a case for what it is as a whole.. Built piece by piece til the faces and the names form and become clearer..*

Both are ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY in order to complete the grand scheme of the puzzle/the investigation.. One
Must not only be capable of always keeping in their mind that each new piece of information must be received with an unbiased view.. But just as important is they must always be able to look at the total big picture of all of the pieces having been found to fit in their correct positions and what all of those pieces TOGETHER FORM AS A TOTAL PICTURE/THE GRAND SCHEME OF THE INVESTIGATION..
Both of these capabilities are a must in truly unfolding an investigation, even from the sidelines where we stand..

And I know that I personally may strongly voice my opinions about cases and about with what is known thus far that I strongly feel about the who, the why, the how, when, and where.. And just as strongly as I feel about those things I so too know that I am capable of receiving new information unbiased and that may indeed change or direct those strong feelings or opinions in another direction.. And I have found that when that happens I am capable of moving in that other direction and not being lost to it due to tunnel vision..

So while I understand that true "tunnel vision" will get us nowhere so too will not being able to look at what all the pieces together as a whole form and seeing the big picture, not nit picking each piece of it to death..that too will get us nowhere..

Just some thoughts and opinions on what I personally am capable of doing and feel that many others are as well and that just because we may voice our opinions strongly about what those opinions are is in no way indicative that we are not able to receive new info and details from a completely unbiased view..

== Audio ==

AM940/WMAC (29m 54s)
http://www.wmac-am.com/includes/news_items/6/463/7oclockhour.mp3
* Relevant portion: 11:07 to 29:06 (~18min)
* This was an audio broadcast w/commentary of the Long Video from 24-WGXA

== Long Video ==

WGXA/24 (11m 39s)
http://www.newscentralga.com/news/local/June-30th-Interview-with-Stephen-McDaniel-126361528.html (Article w/Video)
http://cdn.bimfs.com/WGXA/5692f15a080c8f60832054049696a61d9cd497b3.mp4 (Direct Link)

== Short Video ==

WMAZ/13 (3m 05s)
http://www.13wmaz.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=1034114633001
* Footage from 2:07 to 3:05 is not included in Long Video (or Audio)
* Better picture quality than Long Video

== Audio/Video Overlap ==
Code:
          == Audio ==                       == Video ==
Commentary        Interview         Long (WGXA)       Short (WMAZ)
11:07 to 13:35
                  13:35 to 13:49
                  13:49 to 15:30    00:00 to 01:52
15:30 to 16:41
                  16:41 to 22:04    02:02 to 07:23
                  22:04 to 24:07    07:23 to 09:26    00:00 to 02:07
                                                      02:07 to 03:05
24:07 to 24:52
24:52 to 25:09    (Audio Muted)     09:40 to 09:58
                  25:09 to 26:47    09:58 to 11:39
26:47 to 29:06

It's times like this when I think "Hmm... Is there not something better I could be doing with my time???" :floorlaugh:

Wow. I finally got to see the video of McDaniel hearing about the body.
Before I had said that he seemed taken aback, I said it could be because he didn't think the cops would intercept the trash. I believe I was wrong.
He wasn't taken aback at all, he was acting. Even if he's innocent, he was definitely trying to dramatize and come off "sincerely upset" for a number of reasons. If he's guilty the reason he'd fake it is obvious, too. Either way he did not look sincere to me, especially as he said "BODY?" and then everything after that, it was all contrived!
He seems genuine and so sweet when discussing their search efforts, aside from moments where it seems he's trying to emphasize something like she was "snatched" while running and that her apartment showed no signs of any break in...but when he was told of the body, he was putting on a show. I can't believe it, it's not so obvious on audio but in the video it hit me like a ton of bricks.
I also find it weird that at a time where he is supposedly thinking Lauren, his neighbor who he described as "nice as she could be" and was concerned enough about apparently to join search efforts with people much closer to her than he, is MISSING, he can say something like "someone might have snatched her while running" without seeming disturbed by the idea, even though the "snatched while running" theory essentially would mean she had been killed.
Just me?
:waitasec:

IMO that interview does seem to be rolling from a different angle than what we originally said.. But that could easily be why this video wasn't posted til last night because it was shot on another news medias cam.. And then when they went public with it on their site Michelle news site could then post it to their news site since it was now public.. Just some thoughts definitely not stating any of that as fact..

His reaction when the words are spoken about body being found IMO says it all.. When he said he thought he needed to sit down I absolutely 100% believe that he did need to sit down.. Due to his life, his future, all of his hard work.. Just like that was jerked out from under him with Lauren's body being discovered..

When sitting on the curb he's head bowed and shaking his head.. I think in that instance he knew it was all downhill in spiraling downward to this life that he had known just moments ago before the discovery.. It was all over but the crying and IMO Stephen McDaniel knew in that very instant without a doubt that it was all over..

Jmo, opinions but I must say that at this point I feel very strongly that McD is the perp.. For many of the same reasons a couple of members posted earlier upthread including the gut instinct..

<emphasis is mine>
Here, I think you are right, Smooth. I didn't see the entire video until this recent posting -- the fragments I had seen were on another TV news site, I believe, and I agree that it was from a different camera angle. However, the words are the same -- not just similar, but the same -- and the recently posted full version is also the same as Destini's transcript of Fox24's entire interview in audio as played on the radio program.

I think what may have happened is that as SM was giving the interview, two or three media outlets got in on the action. Think what was recently posted was Fox24's full version of their own video shoot of the full interview.

I've been loosely keeping track of this case and really was hoping SM had nothing to do with it, however, hearing the audio and seeing the video when he found out about the body gave me two distinctly different feelings about him :( He seems like he might have some type of social disorder and possibly emotional immaturity (Asperger's?) and maybe he was upset that Lauren was moving, or this was his last chance to "be with" her. Uhhggg, who knows; or maybe, he did nothing at all but try to search! He seems so mild mannered it's hard to envision him cutting a body up. Ok, I've talked myself back to where I started. :fence:

Originally Posted by Sandstorm View Post

He was definitely shocked to hear that a BODY had been found.
All that McD replied was "body?"
and then, "I think I need to sit down."
My thoughts are:
If he were innocent wouldn't he have asked questions based along this line:
Where did they find a body?
Who found it?
Are they sure it is Lauren?
What happened to her?
Are they sure she is dead?
Who could have done this?
Do they know who killed her?
Those are the thoughts that come to my mind if I were told that my neighbor's body was found in the parking lot.
In the video McD makes no inquiry.
Maybe he did off camera and it was not recorded. (??)
I think he was in complete shock at the repercussions of the body being found.
Now, everything had changed.
Another thing that catches my attention is when the reporter asks
"Did she have any enemies, do you know of anyone who would want to hurt her?"
McD avoids that question and redirects the conversation: "We don't know where she is..." then he proceeds to comment with reference to her running and that maybe someone snatched her.
Another point from the video:
In part 1 and part 2 of the video McD explicitly states that
"No one has seen her since Saturday".
This interview was 5 days later. He was studying for the bar. How did he know that NO ONE had seen Lauren since Saturday?
He also makes a comment about her car that is odd to me:
When asked by the reporter Michelle Quesada if that was Lauren's car. He states that "No that car was Detective Patterson's... Lauren's car had been there for days."
Why would he think that her car had been there for days? How would he know that she had not driven her car when he was not aware?
***************************These are very tell tale signs for me.
What do you think about these points?
Your ideas are appreciated.

Backwoods, you just qualified for the JURY!
I appreciate your thoughts, but as Bessie said previously, we will have to agree to disagree.

(respectfully snipped for focus, and emphasis above mine)

I guess I would be pretty fair jury material at this point! ... except, of course, that I do not support capital punishment and so would be unlikely to make it to the box in a Georgia murder trial, and also that I have been pretty well enmeshed in media reports, forum discussions, rampant rumor and other influences that I am not sure I could truthfully say I could totally sort out in my mind

In a way, I think this forum makes an interesting place to study possible jury behavior, for sure. To a point, we could be seen as a mock jury. Sometimes I just get the uncomfortable feeling that some of us are in a real big hurry to make it home in time for supper, or to milk the cow, or not miss the big golf game!

I can't see it as a bad thing to have that "toggle switch" in my mind at this point, when so much of the important evidence is yet to be available. Like others, I think we may get at least a better inkling of the evidence very soon in the days ahead.

I posted the other day to tell another poster that I would "stand with" her when she said something to the effect that she was not yet totally convinced of SM's guilt but would stand red-faced and ashamed before everyone who is if further evidence proves he is indeed the perp. What I really should have posted was that I do not see any reason for her, or me, to anticipate needing to stand ashamed for not having "reached a verdict" at this point, whatever the outcome eventually.

I said to someone the other day that it is not a particularly comfortable position, being "on the fence", at this point. Nor do I feel it should be, for me or especially for a real-life juror. Right now it is emotionally draining to me, actually. If anyone is interested, I'm having a "he probably did it" day today; I still do go back and forth at this point, with, as I said, the most telling evidence yet to be available. I have about three really strong reasons when I am "leaning" toward SM as being the perp. All of them depend somewhat on that as-yet-not-known evidence, but I'll reveal one of them: the (apparent) timing of the placement of the torso in the trash bin.

I do know that I couldn't be convinced beyond a reasonable doubt on the evidence available to me now --realizing that some of you may know things I do not -- and certainly not on the SM interview video alone.

I am not convinced of anything...I just feel that LE has some evidence back that points to their theory and are waiting for more. But if it is not there, then I certainly could not convict him.

Definitely agree that he should have walked away. I got the feeling he was just waiting to go home, and they found him. When he began talking, I saw someone just trying to give some information. I think he did want to talk it out with someone. This was someone that lived in the same place he did, so there is some concern no matter who you are. Someone living right next to you disappears, you are going to be concerned about safety issues. You know someone is missing and hear a body is found. You are going to be a little freaked out. I can see all of that as being normal reactions of someone innocent. Even the babbling afterward. Some people shut down when upset or shocked. Others start running off about every single moment they had contact with the person. The whos and whats start playing out in your head, and sometimes fall out of your mouth. Could be completely innocent. Or it could be back peddling.

I can't blame SM for murder based on the info we have been provided so far. I am holding out for more info. I can tell a lot of you think I am saying he is innocent of everything. I'm not. I am saying it isn't clearly him at this point, and because of it isn't clear, I want to work through other theories, too.

Back to the other video. I had no idea who this person was. No name was posted on it. I posted it because it was another 'friend' of LG, and he was discussing a lot about her and this incident. Many people on here focused on how SM reacted on his video when the body was found. They picked every little movement and word apart. Freezing single things into proof of his criminal mind. One recurring theme is looking down and to the left. That seems to scream lying murderer to a lot of people. I noticed this other person did that constantly. So, would that make him just as guilty?

To justiceforlauren, thank you for the link you provided. I think we can all take a lesson from LG's sister's comments:

(regarding the part I bolded in your post above)
Looks like you just made the first round of jury cuts, along with me, PsychoMom!

Judge Jeanine Pirro show that's on Fox tonight, claims "new video from the Lauren Giddings crime scene". Can someone do a recap, if they watch it? They don't seem to upload the video to their site quickly, and I don't think you can watch it online.

Thank God for the integrity of this case!!! Because it'd be one helluva scary day for our justice system if we were privy to all the evidence of a case before someone is even charged, much less brought to trial on those charges..

We are and will not be privy to the evidence that is needed in order to make such a serious judgement of guilty or not guilty before a court.. If we were then our justice system would fail each and every time.. There is a very good reason We are not privy to the evidence needed to truly make a judgement against an individual.. It is necessary..

We will not any time in the near future months and possibly even years(CA case took 3 yrs to take it to trial)be privy to the type of evidence that ppl are stating that they need before they can see he's the responsible party.. It's one thing to recognize that an individual is most likely responsible totally different to be on an actual jury and vote him guilty with a possie death sentence.. No one is making that claim here that he is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.. That time and the evidence needed to mAke that decision is very far off in the future..

We will not be privy to the evidence until that time.. NOR SHOULD WE BE PRIVY TO IT!!

Common sense, logical conclusions.. That is what is being drawn here.. No one is finding any individual guilty before a court of law.. Huge difference!! Huge, huge difference!!!

I have a comment regarding the "little handgun" that SM says he could have lent Lauren.

If SM actually is an avid collector of knives, and does actually have a collection in his apartment, why wouldn't he have offered to lend her one of THOSE, kwim?

Kind of funny that he suggests a handgun, if in fact he has a large collection of knives. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla