NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - # 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomorrow Maura will have been missing one year. The following is part of a post I made last week it is posted on www.Mauramurray.com. I've never met Maura...I think her smile got me. I've put the last sentence as this was posted first. It is a very poignant sentiment:

"If you wanted to make a person, you would make her just like her." said Katie Jones another close friend of Maura’s since grade school.

Twenty-one year old Maura Murray went missing on Monday, February 9th 2004. She has had an especially close relationship with her father, Fred Murray. Maura’s immediate family also consists of her mother, Laurie Murray, and her siblings: Freddie, Kathleen, Julie and Kurtis. Maura had been dating William Joseph Rausch, a lieutenant in the U.S. Army.

Maura and Billy met at the United States Military Academy at West Point where she was a cadet from June 2000 through mid-January 2001. They started dating in the fall of 2001. Although Billy had not yet given Maura her diamond, they were openly making plans to be married after she graduated in 2005. Maura had made arrangements in January 2004 to be employed for the summer of 2004 at a hospital near where Billy is stationed.

Maura has been both an outstanding student and athlete. She had scored 1420 on her SAT (740 in Math) and had been majoring in Chemical Engineering at West Point when she transferred to UMass in late January 2002. Maura continued her pursuit of Chemical Engineering Degree through her first two semesters at UMass until she decided she would rather be in the medical field.

Maura had been recruited by many schools to run track and cross country. She competed in Track and Cross Country for both West Point and UMass Amherst until the fall of 2003. Weather was not a consideration for Maura and her love of running. She ran no less than 5-6 miles each day. She was dedicated to daily running in spite of hot or cold temps, rain or snow. Maura routinely ran 5 kilometers in just over 18minutes, and still holds competitive both Track and Cross Country records. Tom Zamagni, one of her soccer and basketball coaches when she was in elementary school,l said that when Maura Murray broke the girl's two-mile track record at Whitman-Hanson High School, she did so by 40 seconds. The record still stands.

As a freshman, she played point guard on the girls' varsity basketball team and was a good softball pitcher. Her father Fred, who coached her in youth sports, said that her best sport was soccer.

Although she later concentrated on track, she could have starred in other sports as well, Zamagni said. "She was incredible — a great athlete," he said.

Maura also loved to camp and hike. Her favorite camping and vacation spot is in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. Her father had been taking her there since she was a small child. Fred, Maura and Billy had spent a vacation together in the White Mountains in July of 2003.

In May, we celebrated Maura’s 22nd birthday without her. A ‘Circle of Hope’ was held by Fred Murray’s family and friends in Weymouth, MA. Laurie Murray’s brother, Ricky, family and friends met in their ‘Circle of Hope’ in Yankton, SD. Maura’s sister Julie and Maura’s boyfriend Bill Rausch, both lieutenants in the army, joined in their ‘Circle of Hope’ at their respective army posts. In Ohio, Bill’s parents Bill and Sharon Rausch invited their family along with friends of Maura for a ‘Circle of Hope’ at their home. The UMass Track Team also met in a ‘Circle of Hope’ while participating in The Atlantic 10 Track Meet in Richmond, VA. Maura’s other family and friends met in their “Circle of Hope” at The Whitman-Hanson High School Track in Hanson, MA.

"We've known her so long; we could talk about her for hours. In our group, she was the funny one, the adventurous one, the athletic one. She took all the roles." said Liz Drewniak, a best friend since elementary school.

"She was incredible — a great athlete," Tom Zamagni said.

"If you wanted to make a person, you would make her just like her." said Katie Jones another close friend of Maura’s since grade school.

Tomorrow Maura will have been missing one year. The following is part of a post I made last week it is posted on www.Mauramurray.com. I've never met Maura...I think her smile got me. I've put the last sentence as this was posted first. It is a very poignant sentiment:

Twenty-one year old Maura Murray went missing on Monday, February 9th 2004. She has had an especially close relationship with her father, Fred Murray. Maura’s immediate family also consists of her mother, Laurie Murray, and her siblings: Freddie, Kathleen, Julie and Kurtis. Maura had been dating William Joseph Rausch, a lieutenant in the U.S. Army.

Maura and Billy met at the United States Military Academy at West Point where she was a cadet from June 2000 through mid-January 2001. They started dating in the fall of 2001. Although Billy had not yet given Maura her diamond, they were openly making plans to be married after she graduated in 2005. Maura had made arrangements in January 2004 to be employed for the summer of 2004 at a hospital near where Billy is stationed.

Maura has been both an outstanding student and athlete. She had scored 1420 on her SAT (740 in Math) and had been majoring in Chemical Engineering at West Point when she transferred to UMass in late January 2002. Maura continued her pursuit of Chemical Engineering Degree through her first two semesters at UMass until she decided she would rather be in the medical field.

Maura had been recruited by many schools to run track and cross country. She competed in Track and Cross Country for both West Point and UMass Amherst until the fall of 2003. Weather was not a consideration for Maura and her love of running. She ran no less than 5-6 miles each day. She was dedicated to daily running in spite of hot or cold temps, rain or snow. Maura routinely ran 5 kilometers in just over 18minutes, and still holds competitive both Track and Cross Country records. Tom Zamagni, one of her soccer and basketball coaches when she was in elementary school,l said that when Maura Murray broke the girl's two-mile track record at Whitman-Hanson High School, she did so by 40 seconds. The record still stands.

As a freshman, she played point guard on the girls' varsity basketball team and was a good softball pitcher. Her father Fred, who coached her in youth sports, said that her best sport was soccer.

Although she later concentrated on track, she could have starred in other sports as well, Zamagni said. "She was incredible — a great athlete," he said.

Maura also loved to camp and hike. Her favorite camping and vacation spot is in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. Her father had been taking her there since she was a small child. Fred, Maura and Billy had spent a vacation together in the White Mountains in July of 2003.

In May, we celebrated Maura’s 22nd birthday without her. A ‘Circle of Hope’ was held by Fred Murray’s family and friends in Weymouth, MA. Laurie Murray’s brother, Ricky, family and friends met in their ‘Circle of Hope’ in Yankton, SD. Maura’s sister Julie and Maura’s boyfriend Bill Rausch, both lieutenants in the army, joined in their ‘Circle of Hope’ at their respective army posts. In Ohio, Bill’s parents Bill and Sharon Rausch invited their family along with friends of Maura for a ‘Circle of Hope’ at their home. The UMass Track Team also met in a ‘Circle of Hope’ while participating in The Atlantic 10 Track Meet in Richmond, VA. Maura’s other family and friends met in their “Circle of Hope” at The Whitman-Hanson High School Track in Hanson, MA.

"We've known her so long; we could talk about her for hours. In our group, she was the funny one, the adventurous one, the athletic one. She took all the roles." said Liz Drewniak, a best friend since elementary school.

"She was incredible — a great athlete," Tom Zamagni said.

Poor Maura. I read in an article on her website that her mother now has throat cancer as well. It seems incredible to me that it's been a whole year since she vanished........... I have followed her bright smile from the very beginining. I hope Maura is brought home safe and well soon and I, for one will spare a thought for her and her family today, of all days.....

Poor Maura. I read in an article on her website that her mother now has throat cancer as well. It seems incredible to me that it's been a whole year since she vanished........... I have followed her bright smile from the very beginining. I hope Maura is brought home safe and well soon and I, for one will spare a thought for her and her family today, of all days.....

Our thoughts and prayers are with Maura and her family and friends today. A candle burns in our hearts for you forever, Maura.

A fairly complete listing of all news stories and family requests in regards to Maura can be found here:

Project Jason Forum

With Hope,
Kelly Jolkowski, Mother of Missing Jason Jolkowski
President and Founder,
Project Jason
www.projectjason.org

Our thoughts and prayers are with Maura and her family and friends today. A candle burns in our hearts for you forever, Maura.

A fairly complete listing of all news stories and family requests in regards to Maura can be found here:

Project Jason Forum

With Hope,
Kelly Jolkowski, Mother of Missing Jason Jolkowski
President and Founder,
Project Jason
www.projectjason.org

My thoughts are with you today. I hope you are at peace wherever you are. May your family find you and have the answers they have been praying for.

My thoughts are with you today. I hope you are at peace wherever you are. May your family find you and have the answers they have been praying for.

Thank you for the photos Kelly.

Thank you for the photos Kelly.

The following are some links on news articles which appeared recently, they are all on the forum at Maura's website...most are lead ins with links but one is the entire article:

From The Express

HANSON
Maura Murray: A year of waiting

Feb 9, 2005, 17:01

After a year, Maura Murray's family and friends are no closer to finding out what happened to her.

The Hanson resident and former Whitman-Hanson track standout hasn't been seen since running her car
off the road last Feb. 9 in a remote New Hampshire town near the Vermont border. Since then, her friends
and family have banded together in an effort to put her name in the media so that someone, somewhere,
will come forward with some information.

For the first six months after her disappearance, Maura's father, Fred Murray, trekked up to New Hampshire
every weekend to search for his daughter. He combed the woods near the crash site for any trace of her,
and talked to locals endlessly – two things he believes the state and local police didn't do enough of in the
immediate aftermath of the crash.

“The only person looking for my daughter is myself,” he said.

On Wednesday, Murray petitioned newly elected New Hampshire governor John Lynch to release the
records on the case. He said he has had difficulty obtaining many documents that should be public
records. He also wants the case to be classified as a criminal investigation, which he believes may result
in a more diligent investigation by the state police.

Hanson Express
This whole article also appears at www.mauramurray.com

Maura Murray Remembered A Year After Disappearance
Fears Center On Abduction
BY GARY E. LINDSLEY Staff Writer

HAVERHILL, NH - News photographers and reporters practically outnumbered family and friends of Maura Murray as they marked the one-year anniversary of her disappearance with a ceremony Wednesday.

Kathleen Murray, Maura's sister, wiped away tears and buried her head in the shoulder of her fiance, Tim Carpenter, as a small boom box played the song, "For Maura."

Others choked back tears or dabbed at them with tissues as traffic passed by on Route 112, the site where Maura Murray was involved in a minor one-car accident the night of Feb. 9, 2004.

Caledonian Record

Missing Hanson woman's family prods officials; Treat it as crime, they urge N.H.
By JOE McGEE
The Patriot Ledger

It was one year ago that Maura Murray of Hanson disappeared in the snowy woods of New Hampshire. Her father and other family members were in New Hampshire today, trying again to get authorities to treat her disappearance as a crime.

(Note as time passes the Ledger will archive these links and ithey may not work)

Patriot Ledger

Father of Mass. woman who disappeared meets governor

By Anne Saunders, Associated Press Writer

February 9, 2005CONCORD, N.H. -- The father of a Massachusetts woman who disappeared a year ago met with Gov. John Lynch on Wednesday to ask for his help in getting records of the investigation.
Fred Murray, whose daughter Maura vanished after a minor car accident in Haverhill, wants state police to release their records so he can pursue leads himself."I asked, failing that, to have it declared a criminal investigation rather than a missing person investigation, and, if he didn't want to do that, I asked him to accept the offer of the FBI to come in," Murray said after the meeting with Lynch.

Boston.com

Mass. dad asks N.H. gov for help finding daughter
By Marie Szaniszlo
Thursday, February 10, 2005
The father of a University of Massachusetts at Amherst student who vanished a year ago on a New Hampshire road asked Gov. John Lynch yesterday to release records of the investigation and accept the FBI's offer to help find her.

``Right now, I am the investigation,'' Fred Murray said. ``That's why I want the information.''

New Hampshire state police have declined the FBI's offer to help find Maura Murray, saying there is no evidence of foul play, even though the nursing student and former West Point cadet left behind her car and belongings after it skidded into a snowbank on Route 112 in Haverhill.

Boston Herald

edited to remove links that don't work

The following are some links on news articles which appeared recently, they are all on the forum at Maura's website...most are lead ins with links but one is the entire article:

From The Express

HANSON
Maura Murray: A year of waiting

Feb 9, 2005, 17:01

After a year, Maura Murray's family and friends are no closer to finding out what happened to her.

The Hanson resident and former Whitman-Hanson track standout hasn't been seen since running her car
off the road last Feb. 9 in a remote New Hampshire town near the Vermont border. Since then, her friends
and family have banded together in an effort to put her name in the media so that someone, somewhere,
will come forward with some information.

For the first six months after her disappearance, Maura's father, Fred Murray, trekked up to New Hampshire
every weekend to search for his daughter. He combed the woods near the crash site for any trace of her,
and talked to locals endlessly – two things he believes the state and local police didn't do enough of in the
immediate aftermath of the crash.

“The only person looking for my daughter is myself,” he said.

On Wednesday, Murray petitioned newly elected New Hampshire governor John Lynch to release the
records on the case. He said he has had difficulty obtaining many documents that should be public
records. He also wants the case to be classified as a criminal investigation, which he believes may result
in a more diligent investigation by the state police.

Hanson Express
This whole article also appears at www.mauramurray.com

Maura Murray Remembered A Year After Disappearance
Fears Center On Abduction
BY GARY E. LINDSLEY Staff Writer

HAVERHILL, NH - News photographers and reporters practically outnumbered family and friends of Maura Murray as they marked the one-year anniversary of her disappearance with a ceremony Wednesday.

Kathleen Murray, Maura's sister, wiped away tears and buried her head in the shoulder of her fiance, Tim Carpenter, as a small boom box played the song, "For Maura."

Others choked back tears or dabbed at them with tissues as traffic passed by on Route 112, the site where Maura Murray was involved in a minor one-car accident the night of Feb. 9, 2004.

Caledonian Record

Missing Hanson woman's family prods officials; Treat it as crime, they urge N.H.
By JOE McGEE
The Patriot Ledger

It was one year ago that Maura Murray of Hanson disappeared in the snowy woods of New Hampshire. Her father and other family members were in New Hampshire today, trying again to get authorities to treat her disappearance as a crime.

(Note as time passes the Ledger will archive these links and ithey may not work)

Patriot Ledger

Father of Mass. woman who disappeared meets governor

By Anne Saunders, Associated Press Writer

February 9, 2005CONCORD, N.H. -- The father of a Massachusetts woman who disappeared a year ago met with Gov. John Lynch on Wednesday to ask for his help in getting records of the investigation.
Fred Murray, whose daughter Maura vanished after a minor car accident in Haverhill, wants state police to release their records so he can pursue leads himself."I asked, failing that, to have it declared a criminal investigation rather than a missing person investigation, and, if he didn't want to do that, I asked him to accept the offer of the FBI to come in," Murray said after the meeting with Lynch.

Boston.com

Mass. dad asks N.H. gov for help finding daughter
By Marie Szaniszlo
Thursday, February 10, 2005
The father of a University of Massachusetts at Amherst student who vanished a year ago on a New Hampshire road asked Gov. John Lynch yesterday to release records of the investigation and accept the FBI's offer to help find her.

``Right now, I am the investigation,'' Fred Murray said. ``That's why I want the information.''

New Hampshire state police have declined the FBI's offer to help find Maura Murray, saying there is no evidence of foul play, even though the nursing student and former West Point cadet left behind her car and belongings after it skidded into a snowbank on Route 112 in Haverhill.

Boston Herald

edited to remove links that don't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads