2010.12.21 Stream of Motions - General Discussion

I believe the "little Angel" reference was due to the myspace posting. I believe they need not have sympathy towards the grandparents, their sympathies lie with Caylee Marie. It appears they use Caylee's name more than anyone in that courtroom. This trial is all about Caylee Marie and the one who sits accused of her murder...everyone/thing else is collateral damage...Caylee Marie, front and center..JMHO

Justice for Caylee

See I still don't think they were being snarky because of the context of the sentence. They were saying how CA was pursuing the truth about the welfare of her "little angel". If they wanted to be snarky they would have said something about CA failing to go on searches for her "little angel". I don't know how to explain what I mean...it would have inferred that CA called her an angel but didn't act like she cared or something. I myself have a sarcastic sense of humor and can usually spot sarcasm and that just didn't happen here. In fact I found it touching.

It would not matter how SA presented it, if CA choses to believe they were being snarly she will do so no matter how SA put it into the context of their sentence. I think it sounds like "hey people, just focus on the real victim here". Clearly, though, it was meant to make an impact. CA had two choices, support her granddaughter or support her daughter. She can't do both. CA also stated many times that she wants the truth but when presented with the truth denies it is possible and then goes into coverup mode. LE/SA have only tried to do their job in investigating this crime. CA is the one who has made them sound like public enemy number one. SA has a tough job. jmo

All I know is I hope HHJP rules on these soon...hopefully today! Up in the news thread it says the defense is asking for money. Did they read the response and say oh ##$@ we better get some real work done?

I didn't find it to be snarky at all. Sometimes the truth hurts. The State's job is not to be nice. Their job is not to make the facts of this case any less painful. Caylee Marie is dead. Duct tape was wrapped around this poor babies mouth/nose area. She was thrown away like trash in the woods just down the street from the safety of her home. She was left out there in extreme Florida heat... Thunderstorms and a Tropical Storm that left behind record amounts of rain. Animals fed off of her little body, dragging her tiny bones over a pretty large area. 6 months of dark, lonely nights she layed out in those woods. There is NOTHING nice about what happened to Caylee.

MOO

ETA: An estimated 177 days she was left out in those woods (I believe she was thrown out there on the 18th or 19th of June 2008)

What a refreshingly well-written response after reading all that carp from the defense. :)

I anticipate that HHJP will agree with the State's response on every point.

Indeed! It was like the "how to" and reminded me of our law exams so it's a great example. It's nice to know that what we are doing now in using the fact and doing an analysis with the law has a future use besides passing the bar.

BTW I just got a 75.2 on my Evidence Midterm - Not good enough! Class average was 72 but I shoot for the 80/85 range.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts on that, it was really interesting to see the different opinions.!

I don't see it as snarky in the least. I think they were using CA's own term to describe Caylee. Also it may infer that CA knew/suspected she was already in heaven and therefore an 'angel'....

What does everyone make of the "little angel" in quotes in reference to Cindy looking for Caylee? Is that a pot shot? Or, I mean, was that necessary? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the SA, all of them, and this motion is a dream come true for me, but that one little thing, I don't know, it kinda hurt. Could they have said it another way? Or was it supposed to hurt? What do you all think?

GNAT - this is not directed at you, but your post and my hunch that the A's are probably seeing the use of the words "little angel" as a slight, or over the top, or as some such self serving, "Poor pitiful me" feeling - well your post is my starting point to answer ....

Well......... lets put it this way.......

THE WAY CAYLEE IS DESCRIBED BY PEOPLE:

KC - about Caylee......"The SNOT HEAD." (Subsequently throws her out like yesterday's trash.)

CA - at the time ....."
“She came into my life unexspectedly, just as she has left me. This precious little angel from above gave me strength and unconditional love. Now she is gone and I don’t know why."
and....
"
Who is now watching out for the little angel?”

Next, CAYLEE became "THAT CHILD" (anything but her proper name........ and as if denying her her proper name in death is not enough - she can't even acknowledge the loss the world has suffered with out this ANGEL. She has to say, she is alive, blah, blah, blah......... (insert jewlrey here....LA - CMA and GA - "THAT CHILD" 's too... So she denies her her name and the dignity of death. DESPICABLE.

CA TODAY -- calls her that child and, IMHO speaks of KC as her angel - or some such aberration diametrically opposed to what she really is.........

THEN we have the STATE -- THE ENTIRE TEAM -- and they call her CAYLEE MARIE ANTHONY. They speak of her in terms of having been a precious child - an angel - a victim and they vow to seek justice for the wrong done to her.
IMHO, they included that "LITTLE ANGEL" for several reasons:
1. We are ready, won't be intimidated. And as a warning to JB and CM - that they really don't want to go there with their self serving use of terms and words - that all the molding or implication to mean something other than what we all know they DAMN well meant. This motion proves that when it comes to proving whom has command of the English language and can do a Linguistic waltz -- it is the SA. They totally will alliterate the defense with irony, proper innuendo, prose and prowess... So JB, CM and "clerks" -- don't try to swim up a waterfall.
2. To honor CAYLEE as just what she was on earth and still is in heaven - a LITTLE ANGEL.
3. To give a last ditch effort to snap CA (and family) back to reality by hoping they would remember the emotion of those words when the myspace was made (if they didn't already know, in fact, what had happened); and illustrate the dichotomy of the meaning those two words once had and what a mockery they have today. (ACTIONS speak louder than words.)
4. To bring the focus back as to what is the subject matter at hand........ it is A LITTLE ANGEL.

BRAVO STATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All, JMHO -etc!

GNAT - this is not directed at you, but your post and my hunch that the A's are probably seeing the use of the words "little angel" as a slight, or over the top, or as some such self serving, "Poor pitiful me" feeling - well your post is my starting point to answer ....

Well......... lets put it this way.......

THE WAY CAYLEE IS DESCRIBED BY PEOPLE:

KC - about Caylee......"The SNOT HEAD." (Subsequently throws her out like yesterday's trash.)

CA - at the time ....."
“She came into my life unexspectedly, just as she has left me. This precious little angel from above gave me strength and unconditional love. Now she is gone and I don’t know why."
and....
"
Who is now watching out for the little angel?”

Next, CAYLEE became "THAT CHILD" (anything but her proper name........ and as if denying her her proper name in death is not enough - she can't even acknowledge the loss the world has suffered with out this ANGEL. She has to say, she is alive, blah, blah, blah......... (insert jewlrey here....LA - CMA and GA - "THAT CHILD" 's too... So she denies her her name and the dignity of death. DESPICABLE.

CA TODAY -- calls her that child and, IMHO speaks of KC as her angel - or some such aberration diametrically opposed to what she really is.........

THEN we have the STATE -- THE ENTIRE TEAM -- and they call her CAYLEE MARIE ANTHONY. They speak of her in terms of having been a precious child - an angel - a victim and they vow to seek justice for the wrong done to her.
IMHO, they included that "LITTLE ANGEL" for several reasons:
1. We are ready, won't be intimidated. And as a warning to JB and CM - that they really don't want to go there with their self serving use of terms and words - that all the molding or implication to mean something other than what we all know they DAMN well meant. This motion proves that when it comes to proving whom has command of the English language and can do a Linguistic waltz -- it is the SA. They totally will alliterate the defense with irony, proper innuendo, prose and prowess... So JB, CM and "clerks" -- don't try to swim up a waterfall.
2. To honor CAYLEE as just what she was on earth and still is in heaven - a LITTLE ANGEL.
3. To give a last ditch effort to snap CA (and family) back to reality by hoping they would remember the emotion of those words when the myspace was made (if they didn't already know, in fact, what had happened); and illustrate the dichotomy of the meaning those two words once had and what a mockery they have today. (ACTIONS speak louder than words.)
4. To bring the focus back as to what is the subject matter at hand........ it is A LITTLE ANGEL.

BRAVO STATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All, JMHO -etc!

OK, now I really AM crying. Excellent post!

Another angle regarding the "little angel" reference is (IMO) that the SA could be trying to establish that CA suspected that Caylee might have been already dead when she posted her MS message. It is pretty farfetched, I agree, and I do agree with y'all's thoughts that they are honoring Caylee, etc.

Regarding the wording referring to Cindy....I think 2 possibilities...
1. They are appealing to her sensibilities as a once loving grandma and hope she will finally come around and be there for Caylee.
2. They are trying to trip her up with her lies and know the score with her just like they do with her daughter and there is gonna be hell to pay when she gets on the stand.

She has been both...a grieving grandparent and a lying, conniving, fame/money-seeking mother.

The SA knows this.

She could get humble and repentant or she could go to jail. Her choice.

(I know I will get stomped on this...but if she admitted to the truth, explained what really happened, got humble and repentant and wrote her book...I would buy it...ONLY if she told the whole truth...if she continues in her rambling, bat-**** crazy lies...no way.)

Actually, the truth could be her redemption and life-calling/ministry. She is not stupid. She is an RN. She is in such a horrific life changing event. I actually hope she chooses Caylee, justice and truth. I hope she turns from the lies. She could have a great calling reaching out to women in prison. This would require a monumental metamorphosis.

ziggy: Just a suggestion, but why not study 1 hr. more per day and aim for the 95/100 range? The higher you aim, the more you will learn.

Regarding the wording referring to Cindy....I think 2 possibilities...
1. They are appealing to her sensibilities as a once loving grandma and hope she will finally come around and be there for Caylee.
2. They are trying to trip her up with her lies and know the score with her just like they do with her daughter and there is gonna be hell to pay when she gets on the stand.

She has been both...a grieving grandparent and a lying, conniving, fame/money-seeking mother.

The SA knows this.

She could get humble and repentant or she could go to jail. Her choice.

(I know I will get stomped on this...but if she admitted to the truth, explained what really happened, got humble and repentant and wrote her book...I would buy it...ONLY if she told the whole truth...if she continues in her rambling, bat-**** crazy lies...no way.)

Actually, the truth could be her redemption and life-calling/ministry. She is not stupid. She is an RN. She is in such a horrific life changing event. I actually hope she chooses Caylee, justice and truth. I hope she turns from the lies. She could have a great calling reaching out to women in prison. This would require a monumental metamorphosis.

The wording is quite clearly a preview to how they will be handling Cindy at trial. the SA does not want the trial to become about CA. CA is an extremely acerbic personality. So the SA will play up those points where CA in spite of how bad she may seem at a glance, did the right thing for this precious child. By treating CA with a softer approach they narrow the defenses ability to try and make CA seem like the monster and KC seem like the victim. Yeah CA may be rude and unpleasant, but she was looking for her "little angel" with the "dogged determination of a true police detective"..."What was the mother of the year doing? Oh yeah!" It's powerful stuff.

You know the old saying "actions speak louder than words". Well in the end this case is purely about that. The only defense KC has is just words. There are no actions with which to defend her. Only actions that impeach her. With this filing the state is showing how they can easily reverse that dynamic for the rest of her family to single KC out. Yeah Cindy's words are typically pretty indefensible. But within the critical time period of Caylee's disappearance her actions are the appropriate ones.

Omg at CM saying they searched the "exact spot" and no body was there! How can the defense get away with blatant lies? I am dumbfounded!

Apparently to the defense, "exact spot" means a wide area that covers the length of Suburban Drive. :crazy:

Reminds of me when I first moved to Oklahoma, and someone said they were going to a store down the street, and it turned out that store was at least two miles from their house. Totally different definition than I was used to.

It's like if someone stepped onto Suburban, that was the exact spot and if they didn't see water or a body, woohoo, Casey is innocent!

Not so, defense. "Exact spot" does not mean in reality what you think it means. Sheesh.

The wording is quite clearly a preview to how they will be handling Cindy at trial. the SA does not want the trial to become about CA. CA is an extremely acerbic personality. So the SA will play up those points where CA in spite of how bad she may seem at a glance, did the right thing for this precious child. By treating CA with a softer approach they narrow the defenses ability to try and make CA seem like the monster and KC seem like the victim. Yeah CA may be rude and unpleasant, but she was looking for her "little angel" with the "dogged determination of a true police detective"..."What was the mother of the year doing? Oh yeah!" It's powerful stuff.

You know the old saying "actions speak louder than words". Well in the end this case is purely about that. The only defense KC has is just words. There are no actions with which to defend her. Only actions that impeach her. With this filing the state is showing how they can easily reverse that dynamic for the rest of her family to single KC out. Yeah Cindy's words are typically pretty indefensible. But within the critical time period of Caylee's disappearance her actions are the appropriate ones.

faefrost, thank you for this and all your posts. You are consistently insightful and incisive.

This is the first case I have followed so closely, and the psychological dynamics at play are fascinating to me--both those of KC/the A's, and of the State and defense.

This is the first motion I've seen where the State outlines its approach. Where the defense has been here, there and everywhere, the State's attorneys--Caylee's attorneys--are measured, focused, and precise.

Caylee, justice is coming, and Ms. Drane-Burdick and Messrs. Ashton and George are going to see to it.

Uh oh. . . . State of Florida's Response to Defendant's Motions in Limine (and the Certificate of Service for that Response) are dated 18th day of January, 2010. Will this need to be refiled with the correct date?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back