The aftermath of Hurricane Katrina

We have opened our home up to many. We have my sister-in-law and her family here and many of her husband's family members. We're happy to do it as they have NO WHERE else to go. At last count we had 19 people here, not including our 3. It's tight, but we are managing fine. I couldn't imagine turning any of them away. I couldn't do it. I would hope if we were ever in this situation they would do the same for us.

Now, as for complete strangers, I don't know that we'd be this generous, but I know we'd offer help however we could.

Big shout out to Les who took it upon herself to send us a HUGE care package! I love ya Sista! Very much appreciated!

Hope everyone else who has family in NOLA or elsewhere who has suffered through Katrina is fairing as well as our family. Prayers to all...

That's good. That reliant stadium is so nice. I know the people of Houston will do alot.

It looks like Texas is going to be The Good Neighbor for quite a while now. I know 150 beds are being put in a stadium here, but I will have to find out more.

We have boxed up clothing and some non-parrishable food to take down later this afternoon. Our subdivision took up a collection for people. Blankets, pillows, etc. too. We have several trucks full. Our subdivision does a garage sale annually and people have been saving things for it. We've all decided to donate rather than sell.

Hope others will do the same. These people have absolutely nothing.

ShowerSinger said:
Here's an idea:
Why not relocate these victims to a base the military has closed? There are already single-family residences, barracks, even recreation, hospital, jail facilities. I know, as Fort McClellan in Alabama has already been closed, and most properties sit empty. It seems a logical solution, instead of some stadium. These people need some privacy, too.
What do you think?
It is already being considered. I heard it on Fox or CNN yesterday. I think a closed base in Texas is being looked at.

Jules said:
We have boxed up clothing and some non-parrishable food to take down later this afternoon. Our subdivision took up a collection for people. Blankets, pillows, etc. too. We have several trucks full. Our subdivision does a garage sale annually and people have been saving things for it. We've all decided to donate rather than sell.

Hope others will do the same. These people have absolutely nothing.

Jules:

I'm leaving work early and going to the $store and then I'm going to see if I can volunteer.

Reese AFB in Lubbock, TX has been opened up for the refugees, they started arriving last night. According to our local news, we have room for 300 families at the base.

We have an old hospital (they buiilt a new one) and I wrote asking if the Mayor of that town would offer it up. I doubt he will, as it's for sale but I think it will just sit there. It's not delapidated (sp?) or anything, just not as high tech as the new one. There are also many homes that are desserted (not delapidated), another hospital (closed due to not enough funds) in another town that they considered opening for "wayward teens" but that town voted against it. I wrote them as well. I am up here in Illinois, but you never know. These things could be of help...the desserted hospital could, I think, be easily made into apartments. JMO

You know, all of these volunteers as well as FEMA, National Guard, Red Cross, Salvation Army, private citizens deserve a lot of recognition and got a BIG THANKS!!!!! from my family!! :clap:

T'sNana said:
We have an old hospital (they buiilt a new one) and I wrote asking if the Mayor of that town would offer it up. I doubt he will, as it's for sale but I think it will just sit there. It's not delapidated (sp?) or anything, just not as high tech as the new one. There are also many homes that are desserted (not delapidated), another hospital (closed due to not enough funds) in another town that they considered opening for "wayward teens" but that town voted against it. I wrote them as well. I am up here in Illinois, but you never know. These things could be of help...the desserted hospital could, I think, be easily made into apartments. JMO
Sounds like an excellent idea! Kudus to you!

But I fear the " not in my back yard" mentality

Linda7NJ said:
Sounds like an excellent idea! Kudus to you!

But I fear the " not in my back yard" mentality
Exactly!!!...but I thought it wouldn't hurt to try.

Absolutely. To anyone who helped in any capacity, a big :clap: !

I still remember seeing a man risk his life to run after a car that was being swept away in a rush of water. His was chest-deep when he pulled an older man from the car. Both could have died, but neither did, because one man risked his life. I saw that on CNN many times.

This morning, on Fox News, there was a press conference and I was headed to work and a military leader from the army was tlaking about the efforts being done in N.O. and what's being sent there and what's delaying help in certain areas... then he went on to say...
"And I'd like to set the record straight on some incorrect things
being reported in the media" or something like that and he was immediately cutt off and the anchor person took full screen. The press conference was cut off.

That is sensationalism.
I wanted to hear what he had to say.

Did anyone else catch this?
I am sorry if this is posted somewhere else but I am only on my lunch break and am looking for a quick update.

I don't know the guy's name but I will try to find it.

If you saw this segment this morning, please post here.
I'm curious about what you heard and what you thought.

Thanks!

Sorry, I didn't catch it. But this is not time for ratings! SHEESH!

okay, i found a video of it on fox free video...

it's the army corps of engineers briefing on katrina damage
and explaining how they are trying to survey the area and navigate vessels into the area ... and right before he says he wants to clear up some things reported incorrectly in the media, they cut him off!!! Sensationalism!!!!!
My boyfriend and I BOTH heard him say it.

http://www.foxnews.com/video2/player05.html?090205/ace_presser_090205&FNL&Damage%

My friend's father works for CBS and he will be down there for two weeks.
So far, he's been reporting back to my friend that it is bad.
But the media has a way of slanting certain stories too.
Just keep your mind open to that.

I pray for these people out there and hope that they can get to them before it's too late!! :(

Thanks for the update. We (American citizens) )need to see and hear all info so we can decipher for ourselves. Sensationalism is just not the way to get me to watch them for information.
PrayersForMaura said:
okay, i found a video of it on fox free video...

it's the army corps of engineers briefing on katrina damage
and explaining how they are trying to survey the area and navigate vessels into the area ... and right before he says he wants to clear up some things reported incorrectly in the media, they cut him off!!! Sensationalism!!!!!
My boyfriend and I BOTH heard him say it.

http://www.foxnews.com/video2/player05.html?090205/ace_presser_090205&FNL&Damage%

My friend's father works for CBS and he will be down there for two weeks.
So far, he's been reporting back to my friend that it is bad.

I pray for these people out there and hope that they can get to them before it's too late!! :(

PrayersForMaura said:
As long as you (and others) keep in mind that the government and other officials don't always tell the truth.

I'm hearing a lot of CYA talk, for example.

Help The Youngest Victims of Hurricane Katrina Join this campaign and see the difference we can make together.

The kids at New Orleans Children's Hospital have been evacuated to Houston in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. Now Texas Children's Hospital needs your help. Support these kids and their families by contributing funds for everything from transportation to temporary shelter. You and the people you know can make a difference -- Oxygen will donate $1 for every person that joins this campaign.*

Here's how to get started:
1) Click on the link below to join the campaign and start helping immediately.

2) Track your progress: With Oh! Speakup, you can see the difference you are making when you connect people together who want to send their love and support to these families.

[size=-3]*up to $10,000[/size]

http://speakup.oxygen.com/campaigns/

</FONT>

PrayersForMaura said:
Just keep your mind open to that.(

So true!!! My husband is forever reminding me that the media puts a spin on everything to scare the American public. And they typically show the shocking, rather than show the good. They're in it for ratings, which in turn relates to money.

Fantastic! It warms my heart to think we could have made a difference. After all the phone calls and emails, here's a round of applause\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
You guys are awesome!
And lynie, you are right on! It could help the locals.

I think the FEMA guy should be fired. Ridiculous! Pre-planning is paramount for this organization. Or it shouldn't exist at all. What a waste of $'s his salary is. He should forfeit it! Why couldn't they even use some school buses to pick up these people?
(Ut-oh, I'm having a hormonal rush again!)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back