Another theory

I agree that Darlie was not in a "homicidal rage" when she killed her sons. I DO believe she was in full control of herself when she committed the murders - it was her last ditch effort to get Darin's attention; because, by that time Darin was on to her "acting out". I am sure there are more instances (than what we know) of Darlie conjuring up "damsel in distress" stories to get Darin's attention - there had to be a pattern; and Darin finally got a clue.

My theory on why she did not stab the boys in the head/face - she wanted them to look good in their casket [I don't know if there was a viewing of the boys before the funeral - but at the time she killed them she consciously and purposely avoided disfiguring their faces]. Looks were important to Darlie - she had several studio photos of herself and the kids (which is not unusual), but, these are not your simple 'Sears Portrait Studio' shots - those kids look like little models complete with matching outfits, expensive haircuts and doe-eyed expressions.

I wonder if Darlie ever felt remorse for what she did - personally, I don't think so. IMO she justified what she did by telling herself that it was really Darin's fault.

There is also the nagging gut feeling I have that tells me Darin knows a great deal more about what went on that night than he is willing to admit. I'd be interested in reading your theory/thoughts on Darin and whether or not he was involved in some way.

I think she was in some sort of middle ground between rage and calm. Doesn't make much sense, right? LOL I think she was red hot angry, but I don't believe she was out of her mind with rage. Stabbing someone takes a lot of anger/rage. Its up close and person. She had to have had a lot of that in her in order to do this. IMO :twocents:

sharpar said:
Yes, the bushy haired stranger certainly gets around and has been quite busy.

Another infamous one is Diana Downs, one child was shot and murdered, one in a wheelchair and the third had extensive injuries from gunshot wounds.
The intruder shot the kids and her in the arm ( superficial wound ) after she stopped on a dark lightly traveled road to render aid . :sick: Diana was having an affair with a man who had no interest in parenting.
It takes alot of nerve to shoot yourself no matter where. I think that shows us how determined she was to get rid of her children.

I do not see this as a rage killing. Oh, Darlie was hot, but she planned this, even if it was just by a few hours.:twocents: Devon was stabbed just enough for her to believe he was dead. Damon was stabbed more because he wouldn't die and didn't die until medics reached him.

deandaniellws said:
I think after the millionth time of Darlie telling Darin that she is going to leave him, he probably said good, go ahead. This pisses her off, so she decides to get even with him. Knowing how much he loves "his boys" she sets out to hurt him as much as possible. :(
Yup, she had lost control of Darin. But she could control the boys' fates. She played God that night.

justice2 said:
Yeah, I never thought a real divorce was ever in Darlie's mind. It was always a threat. She had no where to go but to her mother.

I think Darin did as much manipulating as Darlie did. I think they even kind of admit it.

I have trouble seeing at what point either one would know the other one was serious though. With your theory somehow Darlie would have to know Darin was serious and know it enough to throw her into the rage. Any ideas on why this particular time Darlie knew Darin was serious. And I would think it would take a few days for her to realize he was serious. So the rage thing wouldn't fit if it took a few days. Just my opinion though.

Maybe it was more than divorce. Maybe he was threatening to call child services or something more tangible or something like that that made Darlie realize he was serious.
How do we know he was serious? He is a manipulator also. Put a good scare into her, that'll shut her up.
I don't think he'd call CPS because that make him look bad too, and we can't have that now can we?
I think it had something to do with Dana. Even IF nothing was going on between them, Darlie could have become convinced there was. So throw that in with all of the other problems and we get a very unstable Darlie.

sharkeyes said:
Excellent theory! I agree! I believe Darin knows in his heart that Darlie killed those boys as a way to "get back" at him; comparable to the way an abuser will say "see what you made me do!?" after knocking the tar out of a spouse.

...my opnion only.....
Yes, that's been my theory for a long time. I call it "The Darin Made Me Do It" excuse and I've said that I can hear her saying it to him. The rest of my of the Darin Made Me Do It theory is as usual Darlie made him feel guilty. They have/had a different relationship than most couples. It's possible that at least in the moment she was actually able to convince him that it was his fault. Together they will get through this and their lives will go on. I think they were both positive they'd get away with it. They are both very arrogant and expected to be believed now matter what. It's not their fault the evidence doesn't match the story. It's LE's, make it fit, not our problem.

Now, I will try and respond to specific inquiries. I think justice2 brought up whether Darlie and Darin knew each other was serious on the night of June 5th/morning of June 6th, 1996. My opinion is that Darlie had been pressing him for money, so that she could buy the tickets that they soon would need, at least since June 1st (but probably since late May) because that is when Darin first went to the bank for a loan. I think she kept pressing him in the days thereafter until the whole matter came to a boil in the early morning hours of June 6th. Thus, I think they were both taking each other seriously that morning. On another issue, one person thought that it was interesting that I would look at multiple cases in order to come to my conclusions. The fact of the matter is that this technique is not new with me: profilers use it all the time to narrow down the type of person that they might be looking for. It is very useful because a criminal defendant, even a emotionally-disturbed, garden-variety sociopath like Darlie, simply will not be able to successfully manipulate what we have seen in several intruder cases, the pattern that can be distilled from those cases, and that pattern applied to the facts of a particular case. Indeed, it is also true that the State of Texas can't manipulate the pattern for its own uses, and, thus, if we detect a good pattern, then it should be fair to both sides, which is what I want. It also works in reverse because I have taken the focus off several suspects because they did not fit any of the "phantom killer categories" (financially troubled, emotionally conflicted, emotionally troubled). In this case, Darin is financially troubled, but I was able to put him aside as the killer because the killing itself does not appear to be for money and the physical evidence does not indicate that he is the killer, although he appears to be an accessory after the fact.

In regard to Dr. Sam Sheppard, I thank Mary 456 for bailing me out on that one. Dr. Sheppard is an emotionally-conflicted killer. Some people still want to exonerate him, but I don’t think there is anyone who can explain why the other suspects would have to stage the crime scene, as Dr. Sheppard quite clearly did. Anyone who is interested should read Gregg McCrary's analysis of the case at www.crimelibrary.com. The reason that attorney Terry Gilbert and the son, Samuel Reese Sheppard, got to the wrong conclusion is because they started with the theory that Dr. Sheppard did not commit the crime. McCrary did crime scene analysis for a living and, thus, had a good idea about what he was looking at; Gilbert and Sheppard the son did not do it for a living and, thus, were discredited.

Another question that was asked was: does the Valerie Percy case belong on the intruder list? To me, that depends on your view of things. I think the authorities concluded that it was an "interrupted burglary," but it doesn't look like that at all when you closely analyze the evidence. The upscale location, a Chicago suburb, where that crime occurred was founded around 1891. Her murder was the first murder in the place in 75 years, the murder having occurred in 1966. I don't believe that there has been another murder there in the nearly 40 years that have passed. Valerie was struck in the head, apparently with a hammer, in order that the killer could stab her multiple times about the body. That indicates a specific intent to kill; the blows to the head likely occurred first and kept the victim from struggling with the assailant. Burglars are not usually that violent and like to keep their hands free to steal stuff, so it seems odd to me that the "burglar" was supposedly carrying a hammer, a knife, and the flashlight the stepmother described seeing. The coroner in the case concluded that the attack was personal and I agree. I also think from what we have seen in other cases that the killing did not involve financial troubles or emotional conflicts, and, thus, the killer is somebody who had a personal argument with Valerie that boiled over. The nightgown ending up around Valerie's shoulders, which one reporter said showed that the crime had "sexual overtones," is instead classic staging and, thus, the assailant was somebody who was afraid that if investigators took a look at the crime scene without that staging, they would have a pretty good idea of the killer's identity. Since the crime has never been solved and no trial has ever taken place, all I am saying is that the stepmother is a suspect. I believe that this case should stay on our list of "intruder cases" unless Jeana overrules me.

Finally, I think sharkeyes asked whether I would like to write a book about "phantom killer cases." Actually, if time ever permitted, I would like to write something much shorter, like a law review or law journal article, just to get the idea out there so that it could be expanded upon later on. My article would probably be called--and I am serious--"Tired of the Phantom" because I must have seen 25 or so cases involving the phantom. I am sure that we have not seen the last of the phantom or intruder. I haven't thought seriously about writing a book about the Darlie Routier case, but if I ever did, I would call it--and I am serious here, too--"Correct Killer, Wrong Reason." That title for some reason has been rattling around in my head.

I hope I answered most of the questions people had because I tried not to overlook anybody. As I indicated, I am not adamant about the solution I proposed, but I certainly felt we need to discuss it now, whether or not people accept it. I think your comments have been very intelligent and I look forward to reading even more responses, especially when the fourth and final section is published. Too, if anybody thinks that a case was wrongly included on the intruder list, which believe me was the tip of the iceberg, then don't hesitate to say so.

cami said:
McCrary's profile based on the blood evidence was an eye opener wasn't it Mary? Did you think so? It made me have doubts about Sam's innocence after all... I'm going to look for that book.

You'll love it, Cami. There's a section on Karla & Paul, as well as Jack Unterweger, a serial killer who fooled everyone for years. That guy was a monumental piece of work.

I think the world of Greg McCrary, because he doesn't seem to have the huge ego that some other profilers have. He recognizes the important role profiling plays in solving crimes, but also admits that sometimes a profile can be way off base. He's common sense and down to earth.

beesy said:
It takes alot of nerve to shoot yourself no matter where. I think that shows us how determined she was to get rid of her children.

So True . Its is hard to fathom someone acting on that thought but they do more and more all the time.
Severe selfishness! I will eliminate these expensive time consuming obstacles so I can have the life that I want . I am so clever no know will
know.

What haunts me is there are more Darlies out there who havent done it
yet but will.

I am going to comment on the evidence as I know it regarding the following post. I haven't read these sections so I may be at a disadvantage. If so, just let me know.

Jeana (DP) said:
SECTION ONE – General Overview:

In any event, I will start with the first topic, a general overview, but we should keep in my mind that we have to look at the other topics in order to nail everything down. My understanding is that Darlie had a very difficult childhood. She grew up in Pennsylvania and her parents divorced about the time she was seven years old. I have seen reference to one father being cold and distant, and another, a stepfather, being cold, distant, and abusive.
The only allegation I am aware of regarding abuse by a stepfather was one claim that the father of darlie's sisters brushed up against her breast one time. Darlie is very dramatic, add that to the drama of her mother and the man's marriage ending and all the negative talk that goes on in households in that period, and I think it is very likely that if it ever happened, it was no more than an accidental brush. There have never been any claims of physical or sexual abuse put out there by Darlie or the family otherwise that I am aware of. So I don't think we can assume that there was any history of that without something more one feeble claim, which has been pretty much dropped by the family since then.

Jeana (DP)I believe there was a reference to her acting out in high school said:
What miserable childhood? It was difficult as they moved back and forth between Texas and PA a couple of times, their were marriages and divorces that upset the household, and during Darlie Kee's single years money was tight, but no one was beating Darlie or raping her or tearing her to shreds verbally. Mama thought she was the most beautiful thing in existence. If anything DK was always pumping up Darlie's self esteem. One mistake she may have made was having Darlie babysit too much while she went out with friends, which prevented Darlie from spending too much weekend time with friends, And who knows? That may have been a blessing. It probably kept her out of trouble, too.

Maybe DK taught Darlie that she could get whatever she wanted from a man if she kept herself beautiful. That would not be all that unusual considering the relationships Mama Darlie had that failed. She wanted more for her daughter. DK loves Darlie as much as any mother could/ I see no evidence at all of a miserable childhood. I see a girl who didn't ever want to be poor again. Once she tasted the good life, she didn't want to give it up and go back to life in a trailer. Her whole adult identity may have been positioned on the new lifestyle, but that hardly makes the childhood "miserable."

Jeana (DP) One year after they meet said:
I also don't see any evidence of her being a sociopath. Not saying she isn't, but I think many young girls have cried rape without being sociopaths. I do admit her willingness to go that far just to get him to leave his graduation party seems a bit extreme, but I think the key to that might lie in her attraction to drama....and his. Add that to the fact that there are no further claims of anything like it until the suicide attempt. It doesn't seem to be a habit. That doesn't mean she didn't try to manipulate him or he her (I think they were both big into manipulation tactics), but I haven't dug up anything that suggests her drama was so kingsized that she could be a developing sociopath.

Jeana (DP) Darren comes with the added benefit of not only having a future said:
But he doesn't. Darin comes from a working class family. When they started out on their own, all they had was his paycheck from his job. Then Darlie was hired too and they had their paychecks. They started the computer business in their apt and worked on it together nights and weekends. They built the business together and once it started making money, she stopped working to stay home with the kids. Darin was a good catch because he was a nice guy, didn't run around with a lot of girls, and was a hard worker. He was no . As a teen he was already a manager at the restaurant where DK worked. I think she thought Darlie would be safe with Darin.

Jeana (DP) She finds that spending money makes her feel good (it eases the emotional pain of her childhood) and she starts spending it like nobody is going to be printing it anymore. Darren and Darlie have occasional fights over the money during the next eight years said:
No argument here, except I think spending money has more to do with going without so many material things in the past than any "misery" she suffered at the hands of her family.

Maybe he just threw his hands up in frustration and said, "Do what you want to do, Darlie. I can't get the money. You'll have to cancel these trips."

But bear in mind that it was Darin who described success on the witness stand as having the ability to go on trips, and not just any trip but trips to destinations one really wanted to go to. He said they worked hard and deserved it.

I don't think Darin would be sticking by her if he had any real intention of leaving her. I think they fought, threw out the same meaningless threats they always did, but in the end they either kissed and made up, banding together to get rid of the kids in some bizarre conspiracy, or something went so out of control that they felt they had no other choice but to try to cover it up.

Jeana (DP) I say this is a jealous rage case because the two children were stabbed very few times said:
I agree that she snapped out of it rather quickly but I can't pinpoint what set her off and what exactly the motivation was. Anger was in there somewhere even if just for a brief period, but I am not sure I see rage except maybe on Devon. I don't see rage on Damon at all.

Jeana (DP) I am sure that when she screamed and Darren came flying down the stairs said:
I agree with your last statement. The fact that they would pick a generic description like they did points guilt right back to them, but I don't think Darin ever had any intention of throwing himself on the machete to save Darlie. All the way thru this he has dropped little hints that if there is a choice between the two, better she than he. He is covering his own butt by tredding water in the middle of the stream because he knows that if she ever tells what really happened, he is going to be guilty of more than just a cover up. No man walks into a blood bath of his two children and decides to help his wife cover up the crime within minutes of discovery because she says "you made me do it." There has to more to this than what we now know.

I think Darlie suffered from depression most of her life. Many children of divorce do, and there were two divorces. Depression might also have been heritary. I bet Mama Darlie also suffers from it.

I think the suicide threat was just a manipulation tactic to get Darin focused on her and her needs. I also think that she was beginning to have major problems with coping and handling the older boys. So she pushed them outside to get them out of her hair, but the more freedom she gave them, the harder they were to control. I also think she sent them mixed messages, confusing them on what their boundaries were. Sometimes she was the parent and sometimes she was the child. It seemed like the less she had to do, the less she wanted to do. The more pampered she became, the more pampered she wanted to be. I think Darlie was probably confused in many ways about what she really wanted, and in the end may have decided she had made a mistake in having so many children, that one would be enough, that she would't make the same mistakes with Drake as she had with the two older ones. I don't think she had to be a sociopath to think like this. Be nice to see a real psychiatric report, but none are available. I think she was and is perfectly sane with a few emotional problems that spun out of control. Selfish and self centered, at least on that night, come to mind first.

By the way, where do we get the idea that she was going to go stay with her friend Julie? Is that something new being put out there?

Goody said:
There has to more to this than what we now know.
This is where I am at. While all the info in the Section's postings is very good, I can't make any of that connect to Darlie killing her children. Led up to something or escalate to something, yes. Something we just don't know what it is.

Yes, what is this about Darlie going to stay with Julie. I haven't heard that either.

Jeana (DP) said:
The point of talking about all these "phantom" cases--and there are several more, I guarantee you--is that you can see a pattern in these cases and I think it will help us identify the reason that the "phantom" showed up in Darlie's case. The phantom only shows up under three circumstances that I can see and I have probably looked at 20 to 25 such cases. What that indicates to me is that such crimes are not random, as people tend to think, but the phantom is created to throw suspicion off of the chief suspect. The phantom shows up in the following circumstances: (1) the chief suspect is financially troubled (for example, Charles Stuart, mentioned above, who killed his wife for the insurance money; (2) the chief suspect is emotionally conflicted (in other words, the chief suspect kills to be with someone else, as in the case of Susan Smith); or the chief suspect is emotionally troubled, which is a broader category and would be someone like Julie Harper, who was apparently upset at seeing her ex-husband win a fierce custody battle over their only child.

Now, if Darlie fits into one of those three categories, I think you can stop looking for the phantom or intruder. The easiest category to reject is the emotionally-conflicted category since there is no argument in this case that she killed the two boys to be with someone else. Most people tend to pop her into the financially troubled category because they were having money problems, but to me, the killing is much more violent than the usual killings for money we have seen. That leaves the invention of the phantom being the result of the chief suspect being emotionally troubled, and I believe that Darlie pops quite easily into that category. As I have indicated, I think this killing is the result of the jealous rage that Darlie flew into when she found out that she would have to return to that miserable childhood and the two children were getting to stay at "Nintendo House" after Darin told her that he was walking out on her when she pressed him for money and found that he did not have any and could not get any more.
The phantom intruder also shows up when the killer cannot move the body from an incriminating location. How else can they cover their butts but to invent an outsider to take the blame? The Routiers obviously did some planning in how to hide their guilt, but it was not well planned. They made a lot of mistakes too. Personally I think some time elapsed between Devon's murder and Damon's, that originally her first reaction to clean up the crime scene, but her arm was bleeding on top of everything she tried to wipe away. It soon became futile. Then something happened to change her direction. Police detectives have said a change in direction is very common at these scenes. I would guess this is maybe when Darin arrives on the scene and the real cover up effort begins. They didn't have any choice but to invent a phantom intruder.

But there is a big long list of reasons that no intruder worth his salt would have randomly selected their house out of every other house in the subdivision. It was too close to the subdivision entrance and extremely well lit. A street light right outside the gate they had to sneak into. Another street light on the corner sort of kitty-korner from the front of the house and three flood lights in the front yard. No cover of darkness.

Then you have a bloodied up intruder leaving blood all over the utility room but not a drop beyond it, not on his exit point, thru the back yard, not on the gate, nothing at all until 75 feet down the alley where a sock is found with two little droplets on it. Where did all the dripping blood go from the time he held onto the utility room door until he entered the getaway car? It sure wasn't on the sock.

I am like you on the intruder stories though. 9 out of 10 times there is no intruder, esp when the descriptions are so vague that the police can't even develop a suspect witin a couple of days. Here we are 10 years later and not a soul has ever talked about this crime or stepped forward to say my cousin, my ex, my husband's friend told us he killed those kids because...... There is not a shred of evidence that any intruder ever existed and no matter how many times she tries to give more detail, no one is going to believe her. She just sounds like someone trying to invent more details to match the known evidence.

Jeana (DP) said:
I'm sure one has to wonder how I got to looking at the history of the "phantom" or the "intruder." To make a long story short, I majored in journalism in college and got in the habit of reading the paper every day. Then, I obtained a law degree. I had just started as an associate at a law firm in east central Illinois in 1989 when I read the story of Charles Stuart....... .

Ah, another lawyer. Great. We can use all the legal minds we can get. Hope you stick around even if vicariously thru Jeana.

Mira said:
i am a bit confused as to why the Percy case was included here. are you implying that her stepmother was the murderer and made up the intruder?
I was living only about 60 miles away when the percy killing happened and I remember it well. Not everyone believed the intruder story. Not saying the stepmother did it, but someone was really, really angry at the girl...I mean, several blows to the head PLUS 17 stab wounds??????? Hard to believe that some nut just wandered into the house and wandered back out again without getting caught. I think they eventually did name a suspect but as I recall no one was ever tried for the crime. Not everyone believed them. And the Percys never pushed for a conviction that I am aware of. It always had a an off sense about it.

sharkeyes said:
I have concluded that people who display this type of behavior are combination narcissitic/sociopathic (I'm no shrink, just my opinion), and that Darlie saw her world shattering with the threat of Darin leaving her, she DID NOT snap - she made a plan and carried it out figuring that this would "make him stay" - (Note - my family member's "tragedies" and "pregnancies" have always conveniently occurred at times when her marriage has been on the verge of collapsing).
Question: Why does a man who has decided to leave his wife walk into a room and find his children slaughtered and then in a matter of minutes or less decide to cover up for her rather than spill his guts to the cops?

Jeana (DP) said:
Now, I will try and respond to specific inquiries. I think justice2 brought up whether Darlie and Darin knew each other was serious on the night of June 5th/morning of June 6th, 1996. My opinion is that Darlie had been pressing him for money, so that she could buy the tickets that they soon would need, at least since June 1st (but probably since late May) because that is when Darin first went to the bank for a loan. I think she kept pressing him in the days thereafter until the whole matter came to a boil in the early morning hours of June 6th. .........
You seem to let Darin completely off the hook. I don't see how any man could walk blindly into the carnage he did and then lie to protect a woman he wanted to leave. Most would be so horrified that any forgiveness at all
would be a long time coming and lying about it just wouldn't have been an option.
Why do you feel so comfortable labeling Darlie as a sociopath? Do you think all murders are sociopaths?

There was am FBI profiler who testified at the trial. Brantley, I think he name was. Have you read his testimony?

Jeana (DP)Dr. Sheppard is an emotionally-conflicted killer. Some people still want to exonerate him said:
Or why Sam would be so vague about the intruder that he didn't even want to admit it could be human. My favorite part of his testimony:

Q. What did you do immediately upon hearing Marilyn's cry?

A. It awakened me and I initialized the attempt to gather enough sense to navigate up the stairs. (Sam had more than a touch of arrogance, and he was exploiting it to the hilt with this answer.)

Q. What happened?

A. I was engaged or grappled and hit from behind. ("Engaged" isn't an appropriate word, even by 1954 standards).

Q. What did you grapple with?

A. Something in front of me. (Uh oh, another Sam Screw-up...he was hit from behind, but the intruder was in front of him.)

Q. And what part of this something did you grapple with?

A. I can't say, again, definitely. I would say the upper part...I felt that I could visualize a form...a being...a biped."

Sam thought his big, fancy words & convoluted sentences would impress, even intimidate, the jury. Back in 1954, doctors were "gods" who could do no wrong, and he counted heavily on that sentiment.

Greg McCrary says it best, though: "Deceptive persons are approximately six times more likely to provide evasive answers than are truthful persons." That fits Sam and Darlie to a T.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back