TX - Five Yates children drowned, Houston, 20 June 2001 *Insanity*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overturned on what basis? psychological problems? maybe they will give her a new trial or commit her to a psychiatric hospital.

Personally, I know what she did was absolutely horrific, but I think she is sick in the head and should be committed. Not like that b!tch Susan Smith who knew exacty what she was doing. :hand:

This is wonderful news. If Andrea Yates doesn't qualify as being criminally insane, they need to throw that defense out the window. Hopefully, she'll be sent to a psychiatric hospital for life. Prison for her was NOT right!!!

Txswthrt5 said:
Houston AP Breaking News - No More info Available - Will Provide when it comes in! :banghead:

This is Awful!

http://www.chron.com/

Oh crap! Instead of being in prison she'll probably be sent to a state mental hospital like Rusk. I know the woman is sick BUT she sure wasn't too out of it to call 911 and fess up to what she did. If you're so messed up you're not gonna have the presence of mind to call the cops. She knew what she did was wrong. JMO Sorry, I'm just a hard *ss when it comes to killing kids. Especially 5 at one time mind you!

Casshew said:
Overturned on what basis? psychological problems? maybe they will give her a new trial or commit her to a psychiatric hospital.

Personally, I know what she did was absolutely horrific, but I think she is sick in the head and should be committed. Not like that b!tch Susan Smith who knew exacty what she was doing. :hand:

I am hearing that the State will file for a retrial and ask the court of appeals to review - IF IF they do not rehear it - goes back to the original pre-trial phase. Something about an expert witness testifying that she is totally sane - and prejudicing the jury or something - details are quite sketchy... She will not be going home anytime soon though.

Not sure where to post this, so I will start here and it can be moved if needed. Andrea Yates' conviction for drowning her 5 children has just been overturned, by reason of insanity. A three-judge panel in TX has decided to give her a new trial...they believe she was insane at the time of the murders.

Hr husband supports her, right? I wonder how he is doing.. did he divorce her..anyone know?

She'll get a new trial. The court said the DA expert Park Dietz used an example of a Law and Order episode that never aired in his testimony.

O/T and I'll move it in a bit :D

Casshew said:
Hr husband supports her, right? I wonder how he is doing.. did he divorce her..anyone know?

I think he was in the process of trying to divorce her recently - Was remarrying or something - I will find out

Casshew said:

Yes, he does support her. He was on a show a couple months ago. (don't remember which one). He has filed for divorce.

Will she get out of jail now? On Bail? I can't say I'm surprised.

Just heard that too. Likely she'll be found guilty again in a second trial that sentences her to a mental hospital......where she'll be released someday.

Rusty has divorced her, I read

IMO

TexMex said:
She'll get a new trial. The court said the DA expert Park Dietz used an example of a Law and Order episode that never aired in his testimony.

O/T and I'll move it in a bit :D

I never saw a more insane person in my entire life! She deserves a new trial.

I am not sure how I feel about this... She was obviously sick, but.... I dunno... All I can think of is those poor babies and how scared they must have been.

No. The prosecutor has to decide what his next move will be. He can appeal this decision. If that fails, he must decide whether to retry her or not. I'm sure she'll remain in prision pending the decisions and/or the new trial. I hope that she's sentenced to a mental institution where she should have been all along!

Here's an article from the Dallas Morning News:

Andrea Yates HOUSTON - A state appeals court has overturned the capital murder convictions against Andrea Yates and ordered a new trial in the drownings of her children.

The Texas First Court of Appeals issued its ruling in Houston Thursday in a 12-page opinion signed by court Justice Sam Nuchia.

A three-judge panel found that the Harris County trial jury might have been prejudiced against Yates by the false testimony of a prosecution expert.

Park Dietz testified he consulted on an episode of the NBC show "Law and Order" about a woman with postpartum depression acquitted by reason of insanity in the drowning of her children. It was later revealed that no such program existed.

The Houston mother was serving a life sentence for the 2001 drownings of three of her five children. All five children were drowned in a bathtub at the family's home.

www.dallasnews.com

Jeana (DP) said:
This is wonderful news. If Andrea Yates doesn't qualify as being criminally insane, they need to throw that defense out the window. Hopefully, she'll be sent to a psychiatric hospital for life. Prison for her was NOT right!!!

I couldn't agree more! This is great news, imo, she needs to be in a psychiatric hospital, not prison. I remember having this overwhelming feeling of sadness when she was convicted and I'm happy that the conviction has been overturned.

Yes, what she did was horrible and unspeakable, but the woman was sick for years and needed help badly. It's always been my opinion that her husband, Rusty Yates, should be the one in prison. He knew for years that his wife was sick and it got worse with each pregnancy. He never got her the help she needed (imo).

And and I agree with you Cass. This case isn't like the Susan Smith case at all. SS knew exactly what she was doing to her children and I hope she rots in jail for the rest of her miserable life. :furious:

jamesbrown said:
I never saw a more insane person in my entire life! She deserves a new trial.

I wish they'd put Ol' Rusty Yates on trial with her this time :banghead:
The man found her in a bathroom with a knife to her neck then gets her pregnant a couple of more times :mad:

i know she did a horrible thing, but i too believe she was completely insane at the time. she has been hospitalized recently (within the last 3 months or so) due to her mental health, and her husband has divorced her. i hope she can finally be removed from jail and admitted full time to a hospital to get the help this poor woman needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CourtandSims4