Severe weather April 13 & 14 2012 in Tornado Alley

https://www.facebook.com/woodwardtornadoinfo

Stumbled upon this page - and it just warms my heart to see what people, faced with adversity, will offer their fellow man....rides to school, rooms in their homes, strangers to drop off their laundry and one lady will happily do it same day.....sometimes it's nice to read about the good in peoples hearts once in awhile.

I posted upthread about the high wind advisories in southeastern lower Michigan on Monday. There were numerous power outages throughout the region, along with some serious injuries due to the windy conditions.

Wind blamed for injuring Harrison Township girls on track; 1 in serious condition

400-pound high jump mat strikes girls at Harrison Township's Lanse Creuse Central Middle School, leaving 1 in serious condition

Author: Lauren Podell, Local 4 Traffic, lpodell@wdiv.com

Published On: Apr 18 2012 06:31:33 PM EDT Updated On: Apr 18 2012 07:38:03 PM EDT

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...ition/-/4714498/11010660/-/v4xuc/-/index.html

Local 4 weather special: Terrifying Tornadoes

Special 'Terrifying Tornadoes: The Local 4Casters Survival Guide' airs Friday night

Author: Paul Gross, Local 4 Meteorologist

Published On: Apr 20 2012 02:29:22 PM EDT Updated On: Apr 20 2012 03:25:16 PM EDT

WEATHER SPECIAL - TONIGHT AT 8 P.M.
DETROIT -
As you already know, the 2012 tornado season got off to an early and violent start, and southeast Michigan had a piece of the action.

Before this year, southeast Michigan had only received nine total March tornadoes since 1950, and the last one was back in 1998. This year, we had four, including the violent EF3 twister that hit Dexter. Nationwide, there were 225 tornadoes just in March -- an amazing number for this early in the spring.

At 8 p.m. Friday, the Local 4Casters tackle the tornado issue and bring you safety tips and advice you need on "Terrifying Tornadoes: The Local 4Casters Survival Guide"...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/weath...oes/-/1719236/11252892/-/fer59tz/-/index.html

RT @reedtimmerTVN: Rapidly rotating wall cloud moving over Salina, KS right now.

Not again! Please Lord, keep these people safe.

My forecast here in the northeastern-most corner of Oklahoma tonight: (70% chance right now) Windy... strong thunderstorms during the evening will give way to partly cloudy skies after midnight. Damaging winds, large hail, and possibly a tornado with some storms. Low near 60F. S winds at 20 to 30 mph, diminishing to 10 to 15 mph.

And Joplin's, just to the northeast of me:
JOPLIN, Mo. — The Joplin area this afternoon could experience possible severe thunderstorms capable of producing baseball-sized hail, damaging wind gusts and a tornado or two, according to the National Weather Service forecast office at Springfield.

Isolated to scattered thunderstorms this afternoon will give way to increasingly severe weather this evening.

The storms will intensify as a warm front “with deep gulf moisture’’ surges north across southern Missouri and an upper-level disturbance with cooler air moves to the east.

Andy Foster, a meteorologist with the NWS office, in a taped recording, said the clashing air masses and sufficient wind shear could produce supercell thunderstorms capable of producing “a tornado or two’’ between 4 and 6 p.m. today in the Four-State Area.

Straight-line winds of 60 mph are likely to accompany the storms.

Keith Stammer, head of emergency management for Joplin and Jasper County, said Friday afternoon that storms forming in the Wichita, Kan., area will likely head east, affecting counties north of Interstate 44 and west of Highway 65 at Springfield.

“This does include Jasper County, but we are on the extreme south edge of that area. The most at-risk area would be north of us,’’ he said.
http://www.joplinglobe.com/local/x1378302693/Risk-of-severe-weather-increases-for-Joplin-area

So it may just edge by us, but somebody's going to get it.

Oh, man, not again...

How does tomorrow look? I didn't hear of this at all today, so I'm hoping, since I'm no where near a local, that warnings and watches have been issued, and people are taking appropriate measures as to their safety.

Best-
Herding Cats

Not sure where the weather is tonight, but what I posted above has to be the worst forecast in the history of The Weather Channel. Not complaining, of course - always good to miss baseball-sized hail and a tornado or two, but it didn't even get cloudy around here this afternoon, this evening, or, so far, tonight. Neither was there anything even vaguely threatening for miles and miles west of here, or south of here, either or both of which are the ways our weather comes. On the other hand, Weather Underground had right on the button - slight chance of showers.

Joe Strauss ‏ @JoeStrauss Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Storm sirens going off in downtown STL.
tweeted 6 minutes ago

We got hit bad last night around 6ish. No tornado thankfully, but hail, strong winds, and tons of rain for about 45 minutes. We had golf ball size (some people had 3 inch hail) hail at my house and the sky went from cloudy to black/green in 3 minutes flat. It was scary!!! There was a wall cloud reported a couple miles from my house. Supposed to get more storms tonight. **sigh**

We had a huge thunderstorm come through this a.m.

Knocked out power, lightening struck one of my favorite trees, split it in half, and were without internet until 20 minutes ago.

My poor Serra (lab) had to have a sedative. The thunder was some of the worst I've ever heard! :what:

In Ottawa County, a Welch woman was injured when straight-line winds lifted the roof off her house, and winds knocked down power lines and trees about a foot in diameter just southwest of Miami, authorities said. (Tulsa World)
A sampling of the local weather excitement in the early a.m. hours today. Slept right through it, only vaguely aware of howling winds and hellish thunder. Electricity appears to have been off for a bit too. About eight-tenths of an inch of rain along with it, in a very short period of time.

Thunderstorms with lots of lightning moving into my area. Have a great day everyone and be safe :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea Briann
Back