NC - Kathy Taft, 62, Raleigh, 6 March 2010 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you changed your thoughts that it was a random attack?

I have always thought D's story was odd and thought she could have done it.
Then the male DNA search made me rethink the situation.
Honestly, I could go either way, but still lean more toward the random attack....at least until any information is released.

Here's a link that provides information about platysmaplasty. I gotta say, it really doesn't sound like minor surgery to me...I wonder if KT was planning to spend her entire recovery period at JG's house rather than her own. Who else was going to check on her after her sister left? Or was her sister going to stay the whole time?

http://plasticsurgery.about.com/od/facialproceduresaz/p/neck_lift.htm

Noway- I reread what you had just posted. I have read that a few times now. The part that isn't making much sense to me is: 1) If this is someone the cops are truly interested in looking for/having the community look out for- why are they keeping it so hush hush, and why did they only ask the people at the Dominoes pizza? There are several other shops in that shopping center. I think some other shop owners/workers were quoted as saying that they were not asked about the photo, unless they are not telling the truth. That doesn't make sense to me. Why wouldn't they have folks in the neighborhoods surrounding on the lookout for someone matching that description if this person may have had anything, even if it was something minor or just suspicious, to do with this at all....? Any ideas?

Since the image is from HT grocery store ... it would make sense to show it to HT employees too. We don't know that they didn't ... maybe the manager of Domino's was the only one who would talk to the reporter.

I don't know why people think LE owes them an explanation as to whether they think it's a random attack versus family/friend.

My advice is: A murder was committed in your neighborhood ... take precautions and be extra-careful. You never know whether the murderer is willing to kill again to not get caught.

Since the image is from HT grocery store ... it would make sense to show it to HT employees too. We don't know that they didn't ... maybe the manager of Domino's was the only one who would talk to the reporter.

I don't know why people think LE owes them an explanation as to whether they think it's a random attack versus family/friend.

My advice is: A murder was committed in your neighborhood ... take precautions and be extra-careful. You never know whether the murderer is willing to kill again to not get caught.

:waitasec:
Personally, I think that is a huge deal, especially since I live in Raleigh and have friends around the corner. The possibility of a random person that slips in occupied homes to kill sleeping women is a bit unnerving, dontcha think?

View attachment 8493 Photo from Contour MD

This is an example of the type of bandage used for chin lift surgery. It is a compression bandage, such as ace wrap. There might have been cotton packing and/or gauze also placed under the bandage to contain any oozing from stitches.

After looking at the post surgery bandage you posted, a couple of things occured to me. (Look back at it to imagine what I'm trying to describe. It's difficult to do without demonstrating.) We know that KT's head injury was covered, so it would have to be underneath that bandage. I believe someone on the board confirmed she was found in the bed. Next, configure what type of position she would have to be in if she was hit while in the bed. Because of the surgery, she could not lye down on her stomach or even on her side. She would have to had laid back while keeping her upper body and head elevated with her face facing forward. (See the surgery instructions that someone posted upthread as well. You must rest that way for a couple of weeks) When in that position, it would be difficult for an attacker to strike her on the bandaged area, unless they approached and leaned over her and struck her directly on the top of the head. That seems a little awkward to me and also very careful of a person who would have no reason to be careful about where he struck to kill. Right across the forhead would have been an easier strike.

It would seem more logical that she was hit from behind where most of the bandage covers. For that to happen she would have to have been in a upright position either standing or sitting with her back to her attacker. If her back was not to the attacker, her hands would have went up in a defense motion. We don't know if she had defensive wounds or not. Wouldn't sister or paramedics have noticed that?

I don't think it would be likely that an intruder would have snuck up behind her in the bedroom unless she was asleep and if she was asleep, her injury would most likely not be in a bandaged area as I described above.

Maybe I'm missing another scenerio that could have resulted in an injury in that bandaged area. Any thoughts?

LE's job is to protect and serve taxpayers, not just to protect the rich and connected from rumors and unpleasantness...they absolutely have a duty to the community if there is a killer in the area that is not connected to a victim. How does that compromise any investigation? They may not like saying they do not have a clue who did this, but if it is true, the community who pays their salaries in order to feel safer have a right to know.
We all know that it is true if a murder occurs on our block and we hear right away it is some kind of domestic or family situation, we relax at once and tsk, tsk, tsk and go back to our business, but if we don't know that to be the case, we are in fear. (A murder of a woman occurred very close to me last night; they have only said cops have been called to that house before, but that makes me think at once it is domestic so I am relieved-it is human nature-and I don't even know for sure that this is a domestic, but that bit of info makes me feel better.)

I see what you're saying, Prancy, and it brings a whole lot of questions to my mind. As for packing/gauze that might be under the bandage, I would imagine there would a lot more directly under the chin and perhaps right behind the ears - not so much in the very back of the head. So, if she were hit more in the back of the head there would not be a lot of bandages to absorb blood. That would lead to the potential for more splatter.

Maybe she was getting out of bed to go to the bathroom or because she was trying to get out/up to protect herself. To do that she would more than likely lean on her side somewhat and push herself out of bed with both hands. She may have been looking down as she did that.

Problem is we really don't know where she was hit. Perhaps she was hit more on the top, not the back.

I heard it was a crushing blow to the right side of her head that fractured the skull into may fragments. Such a blow would likely come from a heavy weapon, perhaps a bat or maybe even a hammer.

I heard it was a crushing blow to the right side of her head that fractured the skull into may fragments. Such a blow would likely come from a heavy weapon, perhaps a bat or maybe even a hammer.

So she could have been sleeping sort of upright with her head on pillows as recommended. If her head was tilted just a tad to the left that would have left the right side of her head more exposed and an easier target.

I think that they will be able to reconstruct what position she would have been in when she was stuck by the weapon and perhaps if the attacker was right or left handed.

Do you think they will try to seal the autopsy report too?

I think that they will be able to reconstruct what position she would have been in when she was stuck by the weapon and perhaps if the attacker was right or left handed.

Do you think they will try to seal the autopsy report too?

Based on other cases in the area, the NCME usually releases the report around
2 1/2 months after it is performed. Look for the published report mid to late May.

I was looking at the circustances with sealed search warrants in the Nancy Cooper murder.
The Wake County DA asked that they be sealed for 30 days. Upon expiration, the judge granted another 30 day seal (60 total).

"Wake County District Attorney Colon Willoughby asked that no part of the warrants be released, saying that keeping the information private at this point in the investigation is crucial to the case.

"It may be of the nature that would alert someone who is an offender as to what evidence law enforcement has," Willoughby said. "It may alert an offender as to what evidence law enforcement is seeking."

http://www.ncwanted.com/ncwanted_home/story/3306798/

The cops had Brad Cooper as their prime suspect at the time. They did not want him to know what direction they were going. Will the same thing happen next week in this case?
That is why I said earlier the apparent focus will likely be on D if they reseal the SW's and 911 calls.

The DA said this about sealing the Kathy Taft SW's "release of information could also publicly "expose hearsay information about the offense which may prejudice the public against anyone charged and arrested for this crime."

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/03/11/381524/judge-oks-secrecy-in-taft-case.html#ixzz0k5l8grN4

The SW's obviously are focused on D .....worried about prejudice against someone eventually charged. He is not talking about a random perpetrator.

Noway- I meant if LE was onto someone like the person they were showing in the picture the Dominoes manager described, wouldn't they WANT the public to be on the lookout to help FIND this person? The often do that when looking for someone the haven't id'ed yet. Just seems odd they didn't do that in this case. That was my point. Leads me to believe that this person was not that crucial...or that they don't believe he is the killer...maybe involved, but not the killer....

Prancy- Excellent thoughts on the bandage and the blow to the head. Without knowing any info on what in injuries really were, though I heard the same thing from a friend of KT's family about a crushing blow to the head. Also heard she was unrecognizable- that's how bad the blow was. But, what you said really makes sense to me. Either she was up and around, and was hit and then placed in the bed after the fact, or while she was sleeping, hit. Either way, a blow like I have heard from several people, left her lying in a pool of blood when EMS arrived. That is the part of D's story that sounds a bit fishy if it is really true about thinking it might be complications from surgery. Plus, when you find a loved one in a situation like that, when you are not expecting to see that, do you give an explaination for why you think they are non responsive or bleeding? Or do you just call 911 and tell them to hurry up and get there? That part seems a little odd to me too....I would think panic would set in and you wouldn't have the piece of mind to explain why, just ask for an ambulance. I could be wrong though....

There are lots of good ideas posted here. I really hope this crime can be solved. Wouldn't it be wild if it turns out that one of the theories here is actually acurrate? LOL

There are lots of good ideas posted here. I really hope this crime can be solved. Wouldn't it be wild if it turns out that one of the theories here is actually acurrate? LOL

WS'ers get it right in most cases. It would be wild if they were wrong.

If I walked into a room and found my sister in bed like that my first thought probably would have been that it was due to the surgery. First, I would be shocked at seeing that and would frantically start trying to explain it to myself. To me, problems with surgery would have been one of my first thoughts.

Then, as the situation sunk in (and it wouldn't take long for that to happen) I would start to think she had been attacked. But, if I didn't hear anything and nothing was out of place in the room - in my head...I might be questioning that, too. Lots of thoughts running through my mind at the same time.

In the end, I don't think I would have called 911 and said 'complications'.

People say and do weird things when they are in shock. One thing is for sure, though, only D knows why she said what she said on the 911 call...

Prancy- Excellent thoughts on the bandage and the blow to the head. Without knowing any info on what in injuries really were, though I heard the same thing from a friend of KT's family about a crushing blow to the head. Also heard she was unrecognizable- that's how bad the blow was. But, what you said really makes sense to me. Either she was up and around, and was hit and then placed in the bed after the fact, or while she was sleeping, hit. Either way, a blow like I have heard from several people, left her lying in a pool of blood when EMS arrived. That is the part of D's story that sounds a bit fishy if it is really true about thinking it might be complications from surgery. Plus, when you find a loved one in a situation like that, when you are not expecting to see that, do you give an explaination for why you think they are non responsive or bleeding? Or do you just call 911 and tell them to hurry up and get there? That part seems a little odd to me too....I would think panic would set in and you wouldn't have the piece of mind to explain why, just ask for an ambulance. I could be wrong though....

BBM

IIRC, the few times I've called 911 they always asked what was wrong. Just seems like the thing for them to do. They also kept me on the phone until the EMT's arrived.

If I walked into a room and found my sister in bed like that my first thought probably would have been that it was due to the surgery. First, I would be shocked at seeing that and would frantically start trying to explain it to myself. To me, problems with surgery would have been one of my first thoughts.

Then, as the situation sunk in (and it wouldn't take long for that to happen) I would start to think she had been attacked. But, if I didn't hear anything and nothing was out of place in the room - in my head...I might be questioning that, too. Lots of thoughts running through my mind at the same time.

In the end, I don't think I would have called 911 and said 'complications'.

People say and do weird things when they are in shock. One thing is for sure, though, only D knows why she said what she said on the 911 call...

Very true diphi. There are people to this day that think Michelle Young's sister had something to do with her death because every syllable was dissected from the 911 call. They were sure her demeanor showed she was guilty. Others thought what she said sounded like it was a 'set up'....."Cassidy, did mommy fall? Of course, she was just a loving sister in total shock.

The point is, no 2 people will react the same placing an emergency call, especially if you walk into a traumatic scene where death is a real possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998