MO MO - Nevada, WhtMale 26-36, UP8023, skeletal, .38 caliber slug, Jan'00

How about Rodney John Olsen, missing from Mason City, Iowa since October 18, 1986?
He does not appear to be on NamUs, but his profile is up on a few sites although with sparse information.

1. Doe Network: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/120dmia.html
2. Charley Project: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/o/olsen_rodney.html
3. Cerro Gordo County Sheriff's Office website: http://www.co.cerro-gordo.ia.us/Sheriff/Most_Wanted/sheriff_Missing.cfm
4. Websleuths link added: IA IA - Rodney Olsen, Farmer from Mason City, IA, Oct 1986 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
Comparison:

Sheriff_missing2.jpg
g12c000000000000000044b3e8f5d048bc81ef53c193025b1159a4af3f8.jpg

• Rodney has a heavier face in his photo, but a slimmer him may resemble the reconstruction although it is harder to be certain as Rodney's photo is at a sideways angle. Also, since only a skull was found, a lot of things are up in the air on how the John Doe carried his weight on his face and other soft tissue features?
  • It is mentioned that they found hair at the site of John Doe's discovery. Perhaps the length of the hair in the reconstruction reflects the hair they found. According to Rodney's Iowa MPIC profile, "He has shoulder-length hair."
  • Rodney disappeared in October 1986. John Doe's probable year of death is listed as 1985 to 1997.
  • Rodney was 32 at the time of his disappearance. John Doe is estimated to be 26 to 36.
  • Rodney drove away from his farm northeast of Mason City, IA in the middle of the night and his car was found abandoned several months later around thirty miles away in Forest City, IA. Vernon. Here it is on Google Maps relative to Nevada, MO.
  • According to NamUs, DNA and dental records are available for John Doe. I am not sure about Rodney, but his father has done recent interviews stating his family is still searching for him so DNA is hopefully available.

The Doe Network:
Case File 120DMIA

olsen_rodney.jpg

Rodney John Olsen

Missing since October 18, 1986 from Mason City, Cerro Gordo County, Iowa.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

* Date Of Birth: October 1, 1954
* Age at Time of Disappearance: 32 years old
* Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 6'0; 210 pounds
* Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown hair; brown eyes.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Olsen was last seen on October 18, 1986 in Mason City, IA. Olsen, the father of a young son, farmed a rural farm northeast of Mason City. Olsen moved from his native Britt area not too long before he disappeared.
Olsen left his rural home at 01.00 to visit someone. Several months later, Olsen’s car, a black 1978 Pontiac Sunbird, was found in a Forest City trailer park. No clues were found to indicate what happened to Olsen.

Investigators

If you have any information concerning Olsen's whereabouts, please contact:
Cerro Gordo County Sheriff's Office
515-421-3000
OR
Iowa Missing Persons' Clearinghouse
800-346-5507
Email

All information may be submitted on an anonymous basis.

NCIC Number: M-2211723913
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

It looks to me like it's worth checking into.

While it is not possible due to the partial side-view angle of the photo to check the horizontal dimensions (i.e., head width, eye spacing, jawline, etc.), you can check the vertical dimensions and placement of his facial features by rotating Rodney's photo to a level head orientation.

As you can see here, the vertical positioning of his crown of the head, eyes, nose, mouth, and chin are all reasonably consistent.

2502616450045078242S500x500Q851.jpg

I emailed the Cerro Gordo County Sheriff and to his credit, Sheriff Pals sent me a prompt reply. I asked if Rodney has been compared to the Vernon County John Doe and if he will be added NamUs. The reply I received was:

Mr. Olsen is in the Iowa Missing Person files. I am not sure who puts the missing person on other web site. We have received two calls from the national missing person database comparing his information with others. I am not sure if he was specifically compared to the John Doe in Vernon Co., MO.
Unfortunately, it sounds like he may not be entered into NamUs soon.

I did contact the Iowa MPIC email that was listed on Rodney's Doe Network profile as well as the NamUs case manager listed for this John Doe. No replies yet, but will keep you posted!

I never heard back from the NamUs contact for this John Doe so I tried emailing Iowa MPIC again and got a prompt reply. The contact there said she is going to reach out to the Cerro Gordo County Sheriff's Office to get Rodney Olsen into NamUs and that she hopes his dental records are on file so that he can be compared to this UID.

As I posted on Rodney's missing person thread, I am feeling a wee bit more encouraged since at least Rodney is taking another step towards being listed in NamUs and there will hopefully be another comparison for Vernon County John Doe.

A bit of progress to report. Ms. Linda Mason of the Iowa MPIC and I received an email from Lt. Hunt of the Cerro Gordo Sheriff's Department yesterday that he checked with Rodney's dentist to see if dental records are available. The dentist has retired and his son now runs the practice. His staff searched records and it turns out they shred them after ten years. He also checked with the DCI (Division of Criminal Investigation). It looks like there is no mention of DNA in the case file since Rodney disappeared two and a half decades ago. I guess the DCI also did not have any dental records on file.

As a follow-up, I sent Lt. Hunt the 2008 Globe Gazette article mentioning that Rodney's family is still searching for him. Maybe DNA can still be collected given it sounds like Rodney left behind several family members including a son. As a long shot, maybe his family has a copy of his dental records given they have been searching for him this long. I suggested all of this so we will see what happens.

I suppose I am hoping for some way to compare Rodney to this John Doe still!

There is so little information to go on for this John Doe that I think it is worth checking out, Lil Quirky.

Also, quick correction on the Charley Project information in case anyone is confused - Doe Network has it as Bettendorf, IA, not Bettendorf, MS. I did a search online and cannot find the latter so in case anyone is wondering how his car got to Mississippi, it looks like it was actually found in Iowa.

last modified in July 2011. here are the rule outs:

Anthony Allen 1962 Arkansas
Steve Alyea 1961 Missouri
Steve Arrowood 1956 North Carolina
Gary Brumley 1948 Missouri
Maxwell Grahm 1950 South Carolina
James Morris 1944 Kentucky
Jackie Urich 1960 Oklahoma
Robert Weems 1967 Alabama

while there is scant demographics available for this UID the face reminds me of this missing person, Clay Foreman also from Missouri.

the second to last picture of Clay in the images section looks alot like the UID's reconstruction. the hair color on the UID is pure speculation.

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/9344/3

while there is scant demographics available for this UID the face reminds me of this missing person, Clay Foreman also from Missouri.

the second to last picture of Clay in the images section looks alot like the UID's reconstruction. the hair color on the UID is pure speculation.

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/9344/3

And Clay Foreman's hair color appears to fluctuate. There is considerable resemblance. Clay was 19 when he disappeared in 1979; that would make him 25 in 1985. The UID's age is estimated at 26-36 and the death date 1985-1997, so that fits.

The question is where Clay was for 6 years.

And Clay Foreman's hair color appears to fluctuate. There is considerable resemblance. Clay was 19 when he disappeared in 1979; that would make him 25 in 1985. The UID's age is estimated at 26-36 and the death date 1985-1997, so that fits.

The question is where Clay was for 6 years.

the reconstruction is totally guessing hair color. per the details of the UID's physical description, there was no hair at all.

what drew my attention to this one is that the reconstruction reminds me of a living person I know. so when all of a sudden I saw Clay's face, it reminded me of that living person and this UID.

one other thing, they are estimating the date of death too so unless there were coins that were dated (and there appear to be none) then they were guessing at 1985 being the earliest.

the reconstruction is totally guessing hair color. per the details of the UID's physical description, there was no hair at all.

what drew my attention to this one is that the reconstruction reminds me of a living person I know. so when all of a sudden I saw Clay's face, it reminded me of that living person and this UID.

one other thing, they are estimating the date of death too so unless there were coins that were dated (and there appear to be none) then they were guessing at 1985 being the earliest.

I think you're onto something here.

I was agreeing with you that the hair color is insignificant -- Clay's hair varies and the UID might have had anything. And I agree, the gap between Clay's disappearance and the UID's death probably isn't significant. With that wide a range, about all they're saying is, "A long time." But it is a possible negative.

I was going to say, the fact that he's from the area is a factor in favor of a match, then I got curious so I mapped it and wow, a hundred miles straight down a main road: Lake Tapawingo, MO (Clay) to Nevada, MO (body)

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/4218dmmo.html William A. Trainor Although there are scant details available, I did some research and his siblings are still looking for him. That means LE should be able to get some mita-DNA to match with UIDs.

I realize its way after suggested LKA date, but I think there is a strong resemblance in the facial structure & distance.

The UID is not known to have had a pacemaker, it was discussed in this thread in reference to another MP who had one.

Strange that I made this connection to Steven Alyea on my own and come here just to find that someone made the connection too.
Remains found just a couple miles from where he said he was headed and he has the same jaw line, block forehead, long eyebrows and hair color.
Does anyone know why he was ruled out? because I feel pretty certain that is him.

Strange that I made this connection to Steven Alyea on my own and come here just to find that someone made the connection too.
Remains found just a couple miles from where he said he was headed and he has the same jaw line, block forehead, long eyebrows and hair color.
Does anyone know why he was ruled out? because I feel pretty certain that is him.

No, but quite possibly it was because the UID didn't have any sign of a pacemaker.

The local LEOs would like to keep this as low key as possible. They screwed up the original investigation of the finding of the remains as well as the investigation of the disappearance of Cheryl Kenney.

Current ruleouts:

Anthony Allen 1962 Arkansas
Steve Alyea 1961 Missouri
Steve Arrowood 1956 North Carolina
Gary Brumley 1948 Missouri
Maxwell Grahm 1950 South Carolina
James Morris 1944 Kentucky
Jackie Urich 1960 Oklahoma
Robert Weems 1967 Alabama

https://identifyus.org/cases/8023

I'd like to throw a Houston missing into the mix. Lawrence Wells went missing in 1992 at the age of 29. I think he resembles the UID. Curiously, they both are wearing the same shirt in the photos....Hmmmm.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/9084/8/

Attachments

• wells col.jpg
    wells col.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 57

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads