GUILTY Italy - Costa Concordia Cruise Ship runs aground/flips, 2012

I just noticed that videos from the crash have been removed by You Tube. I wonder why? It's not a one time thing -- many users have removed their footage.

Odd --

Mel

In the midst of a "criminal investigation", my guess is that youtube is cooperating fully and removing any submitted video from the Concordia incident. jmo

For those of you who are sitting at your computer at this time, you might want to watch some cruise ships depart from Port Everglades beginning at 4:00 (Eastern): http://portevergladeswebcam.com/

The Ruby Princess on which I've sailed should be the first ship out of the gate, and there are a few other ships scheduled for departure between 4:00-6:00. Among them is one of the Royal Caribbean "behemoths" - the Allure of the Seas. If you haven't been on a cruise ship, you will see how slowly and carefully these vessels are maneuvered in/out of their port berths. If you have speakers, you'll be able to hear communication between Port Authorities and ship's Officers. Enjoy!

AND,,,,,if you go out and sit in my backyard, you can hear all of them blow those big ole horns as they leave. I live, literally, one mile from Port Everglades. I've lived around this cruise business forever. These things are monsters (especially the Allure and the Oasis).

Side note - the Oasis has already had to be "sterlized" just a month or two ago - came back and many, many passengers were sick. That happens rather frequently with these ships.

I, personally, don't like them. Won't sail on them - if I won a cruise, I would sell it. But that's just me.

AND,,,,,if you go out and sit in my backyard, you can hear all of them blow those big ole horns as they leave. I live, literally, one mile from Port Everglades. I've lived around this cruise business forever. These things are monsters (especially the Allure and the Oasis).

Side note - the Oasis has already had to be "sterlized" just a month or two ago - came back and many, many passengers were sick. That happens rather frequently with these ships.

I, personally, don't like them. Won't sail on them - if I won a cruise, I would sell it. But that's just me.

The ship that DH and I will be on in 13 days also sailed with Noro onboard for several holiday cruises. No cases reported for a couple of weeks, so we're hoping for smooth sailing. We'll be staying near Port Everglades for two nights prior to the cruise.

I love Carnival cruise line, now I wonder what will happen with all the law suits?
Will this effect their business? Hopefully they are insured for billions.
Imagine losing everything, money, credit, passport in a foreign land.
We cruise allot and I never gave it a thought until now............

I love Carnival cruise line, now I wonder what will happen with all the law suits?
Will this effect their business? Hopefully they are insured for billions.
Imagine losing everything, money, credit, passport in a foreign land.
We cruise allot and I never gave it a thought until now............

DH and I are Elite on Princess that is under the Carnival "umbrella". We also own stock in the corporation and hope that our investment remains stable.

Please forgive a basic physics question: how does a ship that tall remain stable with a draft of only 27 feet?

Cruise ship captain may have made 'significant' error, company says

Giglio, Italy (CNN) -- "The captain of the ill-fated Costa Concordia may have made "significant" errors that led to the vessel's grounding Friday and subsequent deaths of at least five people, the cruise line said Sunday."

"The route of the vessel appears to have been too close to the shore, and the captain's judgment in handling the emergency appears to have not followed standard Costa procedures," Costa Cruises said in a statement."

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/15/world/europe/italy-cruise-deaths/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

For those of you who are sitting at your computer at this time, you might want to watch some cruise ships depart from Port Everglades beginning at 4:00 (Eastern): http://portevergladeswebcam.com/

The Ruby Princess on which I've sailed should be the first ship out of the gate, and there are a few other ships scheduled for departure between 4:00-6:00. Among them is one of the Royal Caribbean "behemoths" - the Allure of the Seas. If you haven't been on a cruise ship, you will see how slowly and carefully these vessels are maneuvered in/out of their port berths. If you have speakers, you'll be able to hear communication between Port Authorities and ship's Officers. Enjoy!

Thanks for the link Betty Davis...it's fascinating to watch those huge ships!

DH and I are Elite on Princess that is under the Carnival "umbrella". We also own stock in the corporation and hope that our investment remains stable.

DH and I try to cruise as often as we can. We love the Princess line also. Only went on 2 of them, mostly Carnival fun lines. We were married on our cruise at St Thomas.
We have been lucky everything has always gone like clockwork.
Only 1 time we went in circles for hours waiting for coast guard helicopter to
get a lady that had fallen in her shower and hit her head badly.
We on deck knew something was wrong by seeing the sun at all angles.
Then the announcement came to get off part of the deck because of helicopter winds.
I took pics of everything.
We also took a tour of the guiding of the ship.
Fascinating. I am having a hard time understanding what happened with all the safety equipment I saw.

The search for survivors - always interesting, always tense. One should keep hope alive as long as possible. One of the more remarkable survivors to have escaped death in an accident at sea was, in 1956, a 14-year-old girl named Linda Morgan, whose survival, after having been asleep on one of the ships - the Italian ocean liner the S.S. Andrea Doria - was one some called a miracle.

Linda Morgan and the S.S. Andrea Doria: a miracle survivor (Wiki)

I remember reading this account many years ago when I was a kid, and being greatly affected by it then. Years went by, and from time to time I would wonder what had become of the miracle survivor. Finally, whilst living in San Antonio several years ago, I found out - in one of those felicitous twists of coincidence, I opened the Express-News one morning and discovered that Linda Morgan was the wife of San Antonio's then-mayor, Phil Hardberger! Small world, small world.

WOW this is the best pictures!
See the Rockembedded into ship! It's almost as big as the boat beside it!

I also noticed that. Imagine being in the lower parts of the ship when it struck that rock.

:(

I also noticed that. Imagine being in the lower parts of the ship when it struck that rock.

:(

Passenger staterooms and public areas are above the ship's "waistline". Crew quarters are "below deck" and are most likely to have been impacted by the "sideswipe". jmo

Passenger staterooms and public areas are above the ship's "waistline". Crew quarters are "below deck" and are most likely to have been impacted by the "sideswipe". jmo

Wouldn't it at least be a large jolt to anyone who wasn't on the upper decks?

Wouldn't it at least be a large jolt to anyone who wasn't on the upper decks?

Absolutely! The initial impact can be compared to sudden air turbulence aboard aircraft, but the sensation will be different depending on one's location aboard the ship.

DH and I were on a Canada/New England cruise in the fall of 2010 and experienced the remnants of Hurricane Nicole on the final day of the voyage that happened to be the only day at sea (no port call). A lot of passengers were seasick from the hefty waves, and during the evening, many passengers stayed in their staterooms instead of venturing out for dinner or other activities. DH and I are pretty intrepid cruisers and enjoyed our last night onboard despite the rocking and rolling of the ship. Here's what I wrote in my review of the ship/cruise:

The final day of our voyage was the only day at sea, during which we experienced remnants of Hurricane Nicole that produced choppy waters and high winds. DH and I made our way up to Skywalkers for pre-dinner cocktails and hors d'ouerves on our last evening onboard, which was also DH's birthday. Other than the waiters, there was no one else there, and we rather enjoyed the views of the storm from this perch far above sea level. We saw a magnificent rainbow and watched a Carnival ship follow in our wake until it was time to go to dinner.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162...ruise-ship-missing/?tag=cbsnewsMainColumnArea

CBS News) MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. - A couple from White Bear Lake, Minn. is among those missing from the Costa Concordia cruise ship that crashed and tipped over off the Italian coast, according to family members.

The American Embassy in Rome has said 118 of the 120 Americans aboard the Costa Concordia have been accounted for, CBS Station WCCO reports.

But Sarah Heil told CBS Station WBBM the American embassy in Rome has confirmed her parents, Gerald and Barbara Heil, are still missing.

More at link....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back