Would the Govt response be different in NO.......

Marthatex said:
Look. I lived in Baton Rouge, and the blacks lived right down the street from me in shacks. So I've LIVED IT.
I thought I was trying to say I try very hard not to be prejudiced of a group. But I fully understand the culture differences.

I am a Southern Lady, but a rare old-tyme democrat. I am just trying to repeat what I'm hearing about looters and so forth. I don't mean to offend anyone; I'm calling it like it is. Like a reporter.

But as always happens to me, when I try to be honest, things get "snitty" and I get in tears and just don't want to post anymore. My blood pressure is high enough already. If y'all don't want reporting and what they're saying in the hosptials here, fine. I'll shut up.

Thank you, Ntegrity! :) (why in the world should we be fighting and picking on each other when we're just trying to figure out a horrible tragedy. Give me a break)
Don't cry Martha, I understand exactly what you are saying, right along with Ntegrity. Perhaps, they need to go google on some history sites so they can view the whole picture of the culture of the area.

ETA: I'm also a Southern Lady, as were my mother, grandmothers and those before them. Rooted deep in the culture.

Marthatex said:
But as always happens to me, when I try to be honest, things get "snitty" and I get in tears and just don't want to post anymore. My blood pressure is high enough already. If y'all don't want reporting and what they're saying in the hosptials here, fine. I'll shut up.

Thank you, Ntegrity! :) (why in the world should we be fighting and picking on each other when we're just trying to figure out a horrible tragedy. Give me a break)

I think I know how you feel Martha. You were sharing what you had heard, what you had lived. Even an opinion. We shouldn't get to where we're getting snitty at fellow WS'ers over this. That doesn't accomplish anything.
And those that were long-time poster "friends" are getting upset over other things said. It's not worth it. We all really do want what's best for those affected.

less0305 said:
I also heard reporters state that buses were sent to public housing areas PRIOR to the hurricane hit to evacuate those people to the Superdome...a lot of people would not get on those buses sent by the city at that time.

I also heard reporters state that they have understood that there were some criminal element in NO that rode out the storm to loot what they could afterwards. I'm sure they didn't think they'd be stuck with the flood waters afterwards that didn't allow them to take advantage and enjoy their loot. quote"

Well, that's what I heard too. I've been busily trying to watch CNN, get my husband on an airplane and post on websleuths. I haven't been trying to check references; I thought this was a discussion board.

Perhaps I should use the word "impoverished", instead of blacks. Politically correct. The "impoverished" are having a hard time down there. We in Texas are trying to do everything we can to help.

jannuncutt said:
Wow......."the blacks lived right down the street from me in shacks. So I've LIVED IT." "the blacks"
So, come up with a WS word to make it politically correct, then. We change terms constantly. History again. The "N" word was replaced by "black" and those "Afro-Americans" and "people of color" were asked to be called "black" at one point. I don't think political correctness needs to get in the way of a tragedy and trying to understand it.

Marthatex said:
less0305 said:
I also heard reporters state that buses were sent to public housing areas PRIOR to the hurricane hit to evacuate those people to the Superdome...a lot of people would not get on those buses sent by the city at that time.

I also heard reporters state that they have understood that there were some criminal element in NO that rode out the storm to loot what they could afterwards. I'm sure they didn't think they'd be stuck with the flood waters afterwards that didn't allow them to take advantage and enjoy their loot. quote"

Well, that's what I heard too. I've been busily trying to watch CNN, get my husband on an airplane and post on websleuths. I haven't been trying to check references; I thought this was a discussion board.

Perhaps I should use the word "impoverished", instead of blacks. Politically correct. The "impoverished" are having a hard time down there. We in Texas are trying to do everything we can to help.
And YOU (Texans) have gone above and beyond!! Some of these people are thugs and I can think of no title that fits their behavior other than animals!! There are many people there who just want to get to a shelter and these "animals" IMO are making it so difficult! Part of me says leave the "animals" there! But, they would destroy what historical sites remain! "Animals", IMO come in many different colors. I would like to see some of these other people start knocking these people out and hog-tying them.

BarnGoddess said:
Fran, what a good post. I'm bumping it for everyone to read again. As you said things aren't always as they seem.

Thanks, BarnGoddess. :blowkiss:

I just hate to see the 'race card' coming into this now. The fact is these are fellow Americans and human beings who are in need of help now. It's been four days and they're getting desparate. I'm just glad that the powers that be have finally realized that they needed to get there THIS MINUTE and I see that today they have.

I feel so bad for those still standing out there in that hot sun, dirty, bedraggled, hungry, thirsty,........it must seem unbearable. But, it appears the calvary has arrived and things should be better by tonight.

God bless them all and I hope that they are able to finally get relief.

FJMHO
fran

Obviously some people felt they could not evacuate for various reasons. I know that my family would have a very difficult time as we are experiencing severe financial problems right now and have no family to go to. We'd be hard pressed to come up with money for a hotel. We also have a house full of cats, our own and fosters, that would be very difficult to leave behind.

The people who chose to ride out the hurricane would have been okay for the most part, if the levees had held. No one predicted that. Regardless, the situation is what it is, whether these people were wrong or not is so far beyond being an issue at this point.

Tens of thousands of people who were evacuted in the buses provided were taken to shelters that were not prepared for them. That is not their fault. They went where they were told to go. There is no reasonable excuse for the fact that no food or water has been delivered there in 4 days. None.

A nurse was interviewed on CNN last night. She said they got word that some of their most critical patients were being evacuated. The hospital personnel carried the people down 9 flights of stairs using only flashlights to guide them. They put the people in a boat that was waiting. Not long afterwards the boat returned still carrying the patients. The land transportation that was supposed to meet the boat didn't show up.

The moronic director of FEMA came on next and was asked about this. He said it was just one example of how things go wrong and they have to "think on the fly". Wouldn't "thinking on the fly" mean finding other transportation for these critically ill people rather than sending them right back to the horrible situation from which they'd just been rescued?

I hope when this situation is under control, we, the people, stand up and demand answers. Our government has been working for their own interests for far too long. It's about time they begin working for us again.

fran said:
I just hate to see the 'race card' coming into this now.
I get what you mean, and I completely understand. The thing is, I think of the "race card" as using race as a factor in a situation when it wasn't. And I'm not sure in this case it wasn't a factor. Which is what this thread, imo, is about. I feel it's a discussion worth having. So do a lot of people, including Jim Cafferty from CNN. And a lot of columnists.

Maybe it's too soon for some people to discuss it. Maybe some just plain don't want to. But some of us do. I'd like to think we could do so civilly and without a lot of hurt feelings. Because imo a lot of things went wrong. If race was one, it shouldn't be ignored just because it's hard to talk about.

Does that make sense? Really, I don't know anymore.

:clap: :clap: :clap: MABEL FOR PRESIDENT!!! :D You are SO right! I can't understand, if there was a mandatory evacuation, WHY there are PEOPLE still there as well. If I were a resident and felt it wouldn't get that bad or had to stay for reasons out of my control, I wouldn't think it was that serious with nursing home patients and hospital patients STILL THERE!! JMO
Mabel said:
Obviously some people felt they could not evacuate for various reasons. I know that my family would have a very difficult time as we are experiencing severe financial problems right now and have no family to go to. We'd be hard pressed to come up with money for a hotel. We also have a house full of cats, our own and fosters, that would be very difficult to leave behind.

The people who chose to ride out the hurricane would have been okay for the most part, if the levees had held. No one predicted that. Regardless, the situation is what it is, whether these people were wrong or not is so far beyond being an issue at this point.

Tens of thousands of people who were evacuted in the buses provided were taken to shelters that were not prepared for them. That is not their fault. They went where they were told to go. There is no reasonable excuse for the fact that no food or water has been delivered there in 4 days. None.

A nurse was interviewed on CNN last night. She said they got word that some of their most critical patients were being evacuated. The hospital personnel carried the people down 9 flights of stairs using only flashlights to guide them. They put the people in a boat that was waiting. Not long afterwards the boat returned still carrying the patients. The land transportation that was supposed to meet the boat didn't show up.

The moronic director of FEMA came on next and was asked about this. He said it was just one example of how things go wrong and they have to "think on the fly". Wouldn't "thinking on the fly" mean finding other transportation for these critically ill people rather than sending them right back to the horrible situation from which they'd just been rescued?

I hope when this situation is under control, we, the people, stand up and demand answers. Our government has been working for their own interests for far too long. It's about time they begin working for us again.

Mabel said:
He's one of those I'm looking at hardest. When I heard his say yesterday afternoon that he hadn't heard of any unrest and didn't know about the people at the convention center, I kind of called "BS." I can't believe he didn't know. And if he didn't, he's still at fault for not knowing something most of us did. It's. His. Job.

Dara said:
I get what you mean, and I completely understand. The thing is, I think of the "race card" as using race as a factor in a situation when it wasn't. And I'm not sure in this case it wasn't a factor. Which is what this thread, imo, is about. I feel it's a discussion worth having. So do a lot of people, including Jim Cafferty from CNN. And a lot of columnists.

Maybe it's too soon for some people to discuss it. Maybe some just plain don't want to. But some of us do. I'd like to think we could do so civilly and without a lot of hurt feelings. Because imo a lot of things went wrong. If race was one, it shouldn't be ignored just because it's hard to talk about.

Does that make sense? Really, I don't know anymore.
You're right!! IMO, it's discrimination against POOR people....and that is a shame in America! We are trying fix everyone else's problems and can't even take care of our own!

The governer of NO said last night that the majority of the criminal acts are being committed by 3 gangs. These same 3 gangs have always been a problem and are taking advantage of this situation. It's a shame that their actions are reflecting on all the innocent suffering people who are simply trying to survive or keep their families alive. I would have no problem with the National Guard going in there and annihilating them.

Dara said:
He's one of those I'm looking at hardest. When I heard his say yesterday afternoon that he hadn't heard of any unrest and didn't know about the people at the convention center, I kind of called "BS." I can't believe he didn't know. And if he didn't, he's still at fault for not knowing something most of us did. It's. His. Job.

He must not watch CNN.

Dara and Mabel and MANY more WS'rs...I'm making signs for your candidacies into public office. Hope you don't mind :D

T'sNana said:
Dara and Mabel and MANY more WS'rs...I'm making signs for your candidacies into public office. Hope you don't mind :D

I'd be the first president of the US who used coupons to buy groceries.

BarnGoddess said:
So, come up with a WS word to make it politically correct, then. We change terms constantly. History again. The "N" word was replaced by "black" and those "Afro-Americans" and "people of color" were asked to be called "black" at one point. I don't think political correctness needs to get in the way of a tragedy and trying to understand it.
...........you are not understanding my post. "the blacks" implies that she lived with the entire black population in NO. She didn't

The President working, handing out water, helping evacuate people...JMO. I know...I know...Secret Service would have a coronary! Those poor guys!

I see the President walking around and talking to these people that are needing water, food, etc. Why isn't someone handing them what they need to survive WHILE they're awaiting evacuation? Is that too much to ask?!!! I heard all the cameras in the background shooting pics of this moment but I would be more impressed with him helping them instead of lip service! JMO...don't hurt me!

BarnGoddess said:
Could this be why the FEMA director is not in charge, but Homeland Security is? Mmmmmm.......

I don't believe anyone is in charge right now, which is what the mayor said 3 days ago.

BarnGoddess said:
...........what N word was replaced by black?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back