NY NY - Patrick Rust, 24, Watertown, 16 March 2007

We are making progress in our effort to get answers about what happened to Patrick Rust. In the process we are obtaining information that will set the record straight in regard to some of the rumors that have been circulating about Patrick and other misinformation that is out there.

And that is a good thing.

Why Can't the Gricar Case Be More Like This?

06/28/11 22:01

State College - Centre Daily Tim

A volunteer writer for the newspaper in State College, PA (Centre Daily Times--home of Penn State University) uses the Rust case to discuss a missing person's case that he has dedicated years examining--that of a missing DA named Ray Gricar. He talks about how important releasing information related to the investigation can be in informing the public and generating new leads--something that has peaked his interest with the great website and info released and available with the Rust case. And the great job Slamdunk has done in writing the series for Sgt Patrick Rust.

snipped for length....
[FONT=&quot]Slamdunk writes about other things, including other missing persons cases, and, as a former police officer (with a master’s in criminology), policing in general, travel, and family life. One of the cases he recently wrote was not a missing person case. The missing person is no longer missing. He is dead, but there the mystery begins.[/FONT]
Read more: http://www.centredaily.com/2011/06/28/2806003/why-cant-the-gricar-case-be-more.html#ixzz1QuQESAHh

Thank you SlamDunk you are a good man!

Why Can't the Gricar Case Be More Like This?

06/28/11 22:01

State College - Centre Daily Tim

A volunteer writer for the newspaper in State College, PA (Centre Daily Times--home of Penn State University) uses the Rust case to discuss a missing person's case that he has dedicated years examining--that of a missing DA named Ray Gricar. He talks about how important releasing information related to the investigation can be in informing the public and generating new leads--something that has peaked his interest with the great website and info released and available with the Rust case. And the great job Slamdunk has done in writing the series for Sgt Patrick Rust.

snipped for length....
[FONT=&quot]Slamdunk writes about other things, including other missing persons cases, and, as a former police officer (with a master’s in criminology), policing in general, travel, and family life. One of the cases he recently wrote was not a missing person case. The missing person is no longer missing. He is dead, but there the mystery begins.[/FONT]
Read more: http://www.centredaily.com/2011/06/28/2806003/why-cant-the-gricar-case-be-more.html#ixzz1QuQESAHh

Thank you SlamDunk you are a good man!

Slamdunk's section on the Rust case is here:

http://theslamdunktrove.blogspot.com/search/label/Sgt. Patrick Rust

His blog is quite good and goes beyond disappearances.

I don't know if it was mentioned, but the FBI is now involved in the Rust case. http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/article/20110702/NEWS03/307029959

I think that the release of information in this case is a virtual template for how to disseminate information in a cold case.

Has it been determined why he moved from the barracks to off site accomodation?
Why would he move off site into a one bedroom apartment and sare with another soldier?

**Not implying anything - just wondering if it was a planned move?

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if friends/family had heard about this moving plan weeks before or if the move was a last minute thing. Let's say someone is harassing him. He moves off base quickly. He leaves roommate at tanning place, planning to return to apartment. He sees harasser walking nearby and ducks into gay bar to avoid him. Spends some time there, leaves, calls friend- calls friend again (for ride home? but hangs up before speaking) because he is confronted by harasser.
It seems awfully coincidental that he moved and this happened so quickly.

Sorry to see there is no new info on this case.

A witness has been found that has shed some light on Patrick's case and helped to fill in some of the blanks. However, it would not be wise to reveal the details now and possibly compromise the investigation.

Hopefully by the end of this year the Rust family will have some resolution.

at first glance you can see why people might jump at conspiracy theories or foul play, but things might be much more simple than all of that:

there is no proof that this lad was murdered at all

there is no sure fact that he didn't walk the 6 or 7 miles up the road himself - if he didn't want to go back to his flat: his flatmate said he was not there the night before either, despite being dropped back there

The person of interest mentioned is said to be a soldier - and it seems people have ASSUMED this is the new flatmate.

Let us assume the new flatmate is honest.. or at least he is not involved in foul play and that all he has said is true: this would indicate that Patrick moved into a new flat off barracks and did not stay there for 2 nights (the 2 nights he was addressed there):while it is all too easy to jump on the: "he did not like his new flatmate" band wagon - it must also be considered that it was someone in the barracks he wanted to be away from - to the extent that he did not want to even stay in his new flat.

I would suggest that he confided in his new flat mate about going AWOL or that his new flatmate suspected as much - perhaps he overheard a call made to this old friend who then came into town; perhaps Patrick asked him for help but the friend was too drunk to drive that night and so Patrick wandered off away from home.

Perhaps the flatmate feared for Patrick and this caused him to fear for himself and perhaps this is why he made the early call/text - either alerting a need to look for Patrick or because of an underlying fear - perhaps he feared he would become implicated in Patrick going AWOL if he had been confided in and didn't know which way to play things.

Making an early phone call/text is not enough to lay blame or to assume guilt - maybe this guy was a stickler for being home promptly and ready for formation and his own history of friends led him to assume a lad not home by now wasn't going to make formation.

If this lad feared someone and wanted to go AWOL, it might just be a simple tragedy that he wondered off into the night to bide the hours til morning til he was away and died in the cold.

If the army came to similar conclusions then they will be aware that there is someone of great threat within the barracks and they WILL be trying to investigate internally.

The fact that the new soldier flatmate said: If I had 27G he would be in Canada if he is not already dead - or words to that affect - may well be an echo of the words he heard Patrick say before he disappeared.

Rest In Peace soldier. xx

Watertown is a rather small city, and there are better places to dump a body, but it becomes very rural outside of town very quickly. There really isn't anything up there but farms, cold, snow, and cows.

I lived around that area for 16 years and at that time it was rather poor and everyone was related to everyone else. Since Drum came in things may have become more up to date. I drove a dump truck during the construction of Fort Drum.

Arthur Shawcross, the serial killer, came from that general area, killed 2 children there, then after a stint in jail went on to murder prostitutes up the road a piece. I have a daughter who owns a business in Watertown.

You drove a dump truck during construction of Ft. Drum? When was that? Anyone else? Does Drum abut the border with Canada?

You drove a dump truck during construction of Ft. Drum? When was that? Anyone else? Does Drum abut the border with Canada?

It is not on the border, but it isn't far from the St. Lawrence River (?) which is the border.

Also, about why he would want to move out of the barracks and into an apartment ... I don't think this is strange at all. It's like college students wanting to live off campus. Perfectly normal, imo.

Respectfully snipped.

there is no sure fact that he didn't walk the 6 or 7 miles up the road himself - if he didn't want to go back to his flat: his flatmate said he was not there the night before either, despite being dropped back there

When I first heard about this case, one possibility I considered was that Sergeant Rust was very intoxicated, had gone off in the wrong direction, passed out, and died of exposure.

I have since ruled that out for this reason, both his apartment and the bar, Clueless, were actually in the town. At night, even someone very drunk, would have realized that he was leaving a well lit area and going into an area without lights. He could always see the lights of the town, i.e. street lights, business signs, headlights from vehicles. He was heading away from that.

I also agree with Sailorsgirl, it is not too unusual for a mid-level enlisted officer, with money in the bank, without someone to support, to decide to move off bases. I think he would get a housing allowance as well, so it would have been partly subsidized.

Add that, according to LE, he was gay at a point in time when he could have been discharged for it, he might have wanting something more discrete. The same might be true of his substance abuse problem.

I have a hard time thinking he could get lost in an area he knew so well. If he was new to the city and didn't live within walking distance to the bar or if the field he was found in was in close proximity to home or the bar, I could understand his ending up there. It's very confusing.

As for living off base, I'm pretty sure he would receive BAH. If he had a roommate, it is possible his BAH was more than his rent cost, which means he might have been pocketing a little money each month. I'm pretty sure if you live in barracks or even military housing you don't receive this allowance. Example, someone could pay $500 rent if living with a roommate and receive BAH of $1,000.

So he walks out of the bar at 1am, intoxicated, alone, and ends up in a field 6 miles away.... who did he encounter outside at this random hour.

He was probably gay. Moved out of campus. One day. One day he had left and he was killed. What are the chances of that? The guy he moved in with cleared his apartment of his affects with no uncertain fret. What are the chance of that? Ehem. Please. When does common sense kick in?

jmo

"-Rust had moved into his off-base apartment with the new roommate the day prior to when he went missing. Allegedly, Rust's personal belongings were removed from his apartment prior to him being reported missing to local police (after military officials knew).

--Rust's roommate told investigators that he contacted Rust's supervisor and told him that (Rust) would not be reporting for duty as scheduled that morning. This contact was made two hours prior to when Rust was scheduled to start his shift."

Let me scratch my head now for a while...Umm. I think I need to think.

ummm...I'm sttiill thinking...

What the hay were the police doing?

I think it was the Army that cleaned out his apartment, not his roommate.

The roommate reporting him "sick"-or whatever- 2 hours before Rust was supposed to report is what makes me crazy. Who would do that without talking to the sick person or waiting to see if he was going to pull it together in the nick of time?

IIRC the military police at the beginning wasn't treating it as a crime so I wonder if they looked around the apartment as a crime scene? I wonder if Rust and the roommate got into a fight or maybe were using together and Rust died. Then roomie dumps Rust out in the field? It is obvious to me that roomie had some knowledge of significance sometime that night.

I have a feeling it was the roommate from what I am reading, why would the roommate call two hours before and say Rust wasn't going to be making it to formation, how would the roommate know? Why didn't the roommate wait to see if Rust did show up at formation and then report him missing when he didn't show? Who did Rust get into a fight with, could it have been with said roommate? Maybe roommate wanted Rust's money, maybe he found him at the bar, confronted him they fought..etc. Things just aren't adding up with roommate's story. Why would Rust's belongings be removed that quickly?.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index....rs_to_mysterious_death_of_fort_drum_sold.html

His mother, Judy Rust, and others are holding a ceremony Tuesday to mark the seventh anniversary of the mysterious discovery of his body. She's hoping a renewed investigation will lead to answers.

The ceremony to honor Rust's memory will be at 4 p.m. at the Jefferson-Lewis-Hamilton-Herkimer-Oneida BOCES facility at 20104 State Route 3 in Watertown. The location is near where his body was found.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back