Found Deceased IL - Bryeon Hunter, 1, Maywood, 16 April 2013 *Arrests*

A lot sounds weird about this case to me. There is so little information, I can't decide if this is a situation like that of Aveion Lewis, a custody issue, a gang/drug related issue. Or if LE has an idea of what is going on and is staying quiet for the safety of the child? Or he is not getting much deserved attention due to his race and being from a bad neighborhood.

FWIW, I have no other reason for questioning the possibility of a gang/drug related issue simply due to how well known this area is for being dangerous.

I totally understand where you're coming from in regard to suspecting it is somehow gang-related. I grew up outside of Chicago, and there are just places you can't go - this is one of them. A young woman with a baby in that area /has/ gang ties. There is no way around it, really. She knows people at the very least.

Now, whether she was actively involved in one is another question altogether. Whether she was dating someone in a gang, or whether the father was a gang member, etc... etc... who the heck knows, and that's what I suspect police are figuring out.

I think if it was her car, then there would be more information about it. If they know the boy's name, then they likely have hers as well. I would think there would be a tag # in the information if it was a carjacking.

This is especially bad - to beat a woman and take a child by force as it is stated. This is more reminiscent of Mexican Drug Cartel activity than Chicago Gang activity, frankly.

Do you happen to know which gang is in that particular section? I have references for maps with that info. - I'll go look and post here if/when I find it.

ETA
I wanted to mention that I would go with gang-related 95% of the time when dealing with events in that area - as well as a few others in Chicago. That's honestly just the way it is. And if it's not gang-related business-type crime, then it's crimes committed by gang members - like domestic violence, petty theft, etc...

As always, all of the above is 100% my opinion only - especially with so little to go on...

I'm still a little in shock at how this sounds to me - kidnapping by force and assaulting a child's mother like that? Particularly brutal sounding...

“They start beating me and all I hear is my baby just screaming,” said Baker. “They took me to the woods on First and Main, and beat me some more.”

Maywood Police swept the streets near 5th and Main for hours today. Family members say mom and son were near there headed to grab some fast food when the attackers struck sometime after 1 p.m.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/04/16/amber-alert-issued-for-1-year-old-maywood-boy/

This is very very scary. There is a McDonalds at 1st and Lake Street which is very close to the locations mentioned in MSM. Just behind the McDonald's is the DesPlaines river and a large wooded area which seperates Maywood from a much safer and more expensive neighborhood.

There is a large number of black people living in Maywood, so this being a racial issue surprises me very much. Unless this immediate area in Maywood is higher hispanic population.

These guys sound like thugs. If their anger/rage was purely racial driven and they were under the influence of something, I really fear for this baby.

Please God, let this baby be ok and let one of those 3 thugs have a conscience and drop Bryeon at a safe place. :please:

She had argued with the men days before.
"Authorities identified the men as Eugene Soto, 24, Maurilio Pacheco, 33 and Christian Navarrete, 23, according to an updated AMBER Alert issued late Tuesday."

http://www.suntimes.com/news/crime/...r-abduction-of-1-year-old-boy-in-maywood.html

I think it is a very good sign that the authorities already know who these men are.

If these men realize that their identities are known to LE, perhaps that would keep them from killing this little boy? Kidnapping & assault is less jail time than murder!

I totally understand where you're coming from in regard to suspecting it is somehow gang-related. I grew up outside of Chicago, and there are just places you can't go - this is one of them. A young woman with a baby in that area /has/ gang ties. There is no way around it, really. She knows people at the very least.

Now, whether she was actively involved in one is another question altogether. Whether she was dating someone in a gang, or whether the father was a gang member, etc... etc... who the heck knows, and that's what I suspect police are figuring out.

I think if it was her car, then there would be more information about it. If they know the boy's name, then they likely have hers as well. I would think there would be a tag # in the information if it was a carjacking.

This is especially bad - to beat a woman and take a child by force as it is stated. This is more reminiscent of Mexican Drug Cartel activity than Chicago Gang activity, frankly.

Do you happen to know which gang is in that particular section? I have references for maps with that info. - I'll go look and post here if/when I find it.

Oh, carp... Your post triggered a memory of recently reading something that the drug cartels in Mexico are spreading across the US to area's like Chicago, and I recall Minnesota being mentioned also. The possibilities scare me.

upthread MSM mentions moms name and based on the article, a portion which I quoted, it sounds like she was on foot, because family members helped her hobble to the police station. Which leads me to believe, did she lose her cell phone in the alteraction, or not have one?

IDK what gang is in that area.... I'll take a look when I can too...

“It makes me very sad for a little child to be tortured or missing or whatever you know,” said Selvie.

The above quote is from this link:
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/04/16/amber-alert-issued-for-1-year-old-maywood-boy/

Does the above quote not seem strange? That is from the boy's grandmother. She jumps straight to the word "torture"? And says "or whatever?" I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt and say she is just not a well-spoken person in light of the horrific situation. ETA: I did not watch the video, I only read the text. I may just have gotten the wrong impression.

It seems very drastic to steal a small child to punish his family for coming into the wrong neighborhood (due to their race). But, I have never been to the Chicago area so I really don't know. I don't usually picture those kind of "beefs" as including small children.

JMO

You were writing while I was writing my post...
That is a little telling, imo. I'm still sticking with gang activity that isn't so much based on race as it is affiliation. There are "nations" among the gangs in Chicago, and these two "nations" contain gangs of all different "colors" in more than one way. For instance, the Latin Kings are in alliance with the Black P. Stone Nation (which people may remember from back in the late 60s, and then into the 1970s with the El Rukns which included Jesse Jackson).

So, race isn't necessarily an issue when dealing with those neighborhoods. I will have to read the article again to see if there is anything I missed though.

It does sound weird that she would say "tortured". Maybe there was a threat made to her daughter prior to this happening?

I'm still a little stuck on this event reminding me of Drug Cartel-type stuff. Either that, or the Chicago Gangs are starting to act "over the top".

I would say that this doesn't sound like a "custody dispute" though...

“It makes me very sad for a little child to be tortured or missing or whatever you know,” said Selvie.

The above quote is from this link:

Does the above quote not seem strange? That is from the boy's grandmother. She jumps straight to the word "torture"? And says "or whatever?" I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt and say she is just not a well-spoken person in light of the horrific situation. ETA: I did not watch the video, I only read the text. I may just have gotten the wrong impression.

It seems very drastic to steal a small child to punish his family for coming into the wrong neighborhood (due to their race). But, I have never been to the Chicago area so I really don't know. I don't usually picture those kind of "beefs" as including small children.

JMO

If you were local and knew the area, no, it is not strange at all. There are daytime shootings in this area. It is a very dangerous high crime area.

I don't think 'torture' is a leap either considering the kidnappers brutally beat her daughter seriously enough to require hospitalization.

In this area, an "or whatever" in this situation used in the manner the grandmother did, would mean or any number of awful, horrible things the kidnappers could do. It was a means to not name a long list of possibilities.

Oh, carp... Your post triggered a memory of recently reading something that the drug cartels in Mexico are spreading across the US to area's like Chicago, and I recall Minnesota being mentioned also. The possibilities scare me.

upthread MSM mentions moms name and based on the article, a portion which I quoted, it sounds like she was on foot, because family members helped her hobble to the police station. Which leads me to believe, did she lose her cell phone in the alteraction, or not have one?

IDK what gang is in that area.... I'll take a look when I can too...

Yeah, there was a kid busted at my old High School in Arlington Heights (in the NW Suburbs) last year for carrying/delivering drugs for a cartel-controlled gang. (He was reportedly making several grand a week doing it.) It was quite shocking to a lot of us who went there 20 years or so ago.

You were writing while I was writing my post...
That is a little telling, imo. I'm still sticking with gang activity that isn't so much based on race as it is affiliation. There are "nations" among the gangs in Chicago, and these two "nations" contain gangs of all different "colors" in more than one way. For instance, the Latin Kings are in alliance with the Black P. Stone Nation (which people may remember from back in the late 60s, and then into the 1970s with the El Rukns which included Jesse Jackson).

So, race isn't necessarily an issue when dealing with those neighborhoods. I will have to read the article again to see if there is anything I missed though.

It does sound weird that she would say "tortured". Maybe there was a threat made to her daughter prior to this happening?

I'm still a little stuck on this event reminding me of Drug Cartel-type stuff. Either that, or the Chicago Gangs are starting to act "over the top".

I would say that this doesn't sound like a "custody dispute" though...

I'm not from a big city so you will have to forgive me...

If a drug cartel was involved in a beating/child abduction would that mean that the mother or family was involved with the cartel? Or would the cartel do this just to someone who was trespassing on their "territory"?

I'm just not knowledgeable enough about the subject to know what implications that would have.

One of the MSM articles mentioned hispanics in the neighborhood warning Mom to stay away from that neighborhood. That's why I guessed it to be a race issue.

“They start beating me and all I hear is my baby just screaming,” said Baker. “They took me to the woods on First and Main, and beat me some more.”

Maywood Police swept the streets near 5th and Main for hours today. Family members say mom and son were near there headed to grab some fast food when the attackers struck sometime after 1 p.m.

This is very very scary. There is a McDonalds at 1st and Lake Street which is very close to the locations mentioned in MSM. Just behind the McDonald's is the DesPlaines river and a large wooded area which seperates Maywood from a much safer and more expensive neighborhood.

There is a large number of black people living in Maywood, so this being a racial issue surprises me very much. Unless this immediate area in Maywood is higher hispanic population.

These guys sound like thugs. If their anger/rage was purely racial driven and they were under the influence of something, I really fear for this baby.

Please God, let this baby be ok and let one of those 3 thugs have a conscience and drop Bryeon at a safe place. :please:

Still reading through the first page - more here than I realized...
From what the men said to here it sounds like they knew her, and it sounds gang related. Maybe there is a new gang moving in on that part of town? Definitely frightening details.

The "torture" comment makes more sense in light of them taking her and beating her, and beating her son in front of her.
This is a sickening attack...

What a beautiful little boy. This is terrifying!! I hope they drop him off somewhere safe and warm.

I also can't help but have a nagging feeling these 3 goons were driving around high as kites, don't like blacks and just decided to take out their rage on this mother and child.

One of the MSM articles mentioned hispanics in the neighborhood warning Mom to stay away from that neighborhood. That's why I guessed it to be a race issue.

Yeah, I read another article with much more information now. Maybe a new gang is moving in to that area? That's possible. This sounds much more personal though - to beat the child, too? I can't see it happening - unless like you said they were under the influence of something. I could see a bunch of meth-heads doing something like this... they get really insane.

I saw they have names of the suspects which is good. I just hope they are able to get them off the street soon.

I also can't help but have a nagging feeling these 3 goons were driving around high as kites, don't like blacks and just decided to take out their rage on this mother and child.

If we find out they were meth-heads that wouldn't surprise me, either. It's not like there is no animosity, or racial tensions at all - there definitely is at the neighborhood "street" level.

Oh good, I hadn't seen they had names of the suspects. Just prior to reading your post, I wondered how this all went down and what might have been caught on survelliance. Especially since they were on the way for fast food.

I have to wake up in about 5 hours, so I am going to call it a night.

Praying to wake up and find this thread tagged with the found safe prefix.

Please come home safely, Bryeon.

I'm not from a big city so you will have to forgive me...

If a drug cartel was involved in a beating/child abduction would that mean that the mother or family was involved with the cartel? Or would the cartel do this just to someone who was trespassing on their "territory"?

I'm just not knowledgeable enough about the subject to know what implications that would have.

Don't apologize - I moved away from the big city because of stuff like this! LOL

Just going with the speculation, it could mean any number of things, really. I would think that beating a woman and a child would have to have something to do with the mother herself, or the child's father. It would have to be more personal than just being "in the wrong place", imo.

Could be a new gang around, and she might be affiliated with the old one?

I don't know... like I said it's all speculation. It's hard to imagine someone doing something like this at random, or just for a trespassing "violation". It could be she has nothing to do with these guys, but seeing as they have their names, my guess is there's more to it than random, or trespassing problems.

I just noticed this on my FB feed. I moved to go to school in a neighboring state but own property in Wicker Park. I lived for 8 years in Humboldt Park (and it was deadly). This child is missing from a BAD area, and I normally refrain from calling an area that way. The cartels in Chicago are pretty intense right now and there is rumor the lead guy (Mexican cartel) was murdered in Chicago. I don't know if that's factual or not but it's what I had heard. Mexican gangs are of their own. Latin Kings, 4 corner hustlers are just 2 that dominate the city. My old neighborhood had a death PER NIGHT and I witnessed 3 homicides. The police did nothing. NOTHING. IF I read this right, people in the area told his mom to leave. I'm not 100% sure but this is a notorious hispanic area and if that's the case that warning would have been given. I know it was in my area. I can sadly see this happening. But I'm sure she knows them, because they knew to follow her and when to strike. I'm wondering if the father is in a rival gang and that's the center of this storm? Vice Lords are near that area and are who tends to go to war with the kings. I'm just tossing around ideas that aren't pretty but realistic. Chicago suffered one of it's most bloody years and we've heard every year "deadliest year yet!". I imagine this summer to be intense and with the highest murder rate.

If this is a gang issue it's not initiation or to sell the kid. It would be to get back at the parents. Chicago is very segregated when it comes to areas with drug lords and gang activities. Ukrainians don't mix with the Russians and Mexican's don't mix with the Puerto Ricans. African American gang members are the same way. This is horrible and ruthless. I don't see this ending well because if it's gang related (and it sounds that way) - they leave no witnesses. my heart breaks for this child.

I worked in this area for 40 years and it is predominately a "black" area. If there is any prejudice it would be black prominent not latino. Blacks ran out as many whites as possible in the last 30 years.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineSteph
Back