Ground Searches & communication from LE: UPDATES

Marie has a hay farm.... I read it in a small article about the Haleigh Bug Center moved to Baker County when Crystal got sick and couldn't make the drive.

Do you then think she was late arriving because she buried the body with horses first?

Putnam County officials spend Friday searching the property where Crystal Sheffield lives with her mother. Channel 4 confirmed that investigators are digging on the property, cadaver dogs are on site and a pond is being searched by diver.

Investigators said they learned in interviews with the Sheffield and Griffis families that some horses were buried on their 30-acre property a couple of months ago. Investigators said at midday they had already uncovered one dead horse. They were also going to search nearby property and a pond belonging to another family member.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/19869545/detail.html

ETA: Elle here's a working firstcoastnews link:

Search teams have finished a thorough search of Haleigh Cummings' grandmother's property, and are now searching another relative's property nearby.

The first search, on 30 acres belonging to Marie Griffis, turned up animal remains, as expected, but nothing else.
After completing the search on Griffis' land, the searchers moved over to another relative's property, a 25-acre tract.
http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/topstories/news-article.aspx?storyid=140562&catid=3

Any idea who the other relative is ?

Would a cadaver dog alert to a dead horse?

Donjeta I might be a southern girl but I find myself wondering what might be off kilter for an animal to be buried on the property. Does anyone reading here have a farm or...have insight as to what happens with large farm animals when they die? Do you bury them on the farm or does someone come and take them away? Don't laugh I am having a airhead moment.

In Florida, it depends on what county you live in whether or not its illegal to bury horses (or other large livestock). It has to do with water tables, etc. We had to send a horse for cremation because in Sumter Co. it is illegal to bury.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/mostpopular/news-article.aspx?storyid=140562&provider=top

New article, this link should work, I apologize for the earlier post.....I am still learning!
I'm glad they are doing this.But I strongly think if they can do this and check thier farm then they need to recheck around RC's trailer,pond ect... and further each way than they checked before and places that were not checked.Just curious where was the gun found?under who's house?deck?they should check around there too.

"Snip"

GLEN ST. MARY, FL --

The first search, on 30 acres belonging to Marie Griffis, turned up animal remains, as expected, but nothing else. Griffis' property was checked already, but it was during the first week of the investigation, and it wasn't a very thorough search at that time, according to investigators.
http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/mostpopular/news-article.aspx?storyid=140562&provider=top

FOX 35 has a news crew headed to Satsuma and will have LIVE reports on FOX 35 News. http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/cummings_case/062609haleigh_farm_search

"IMO" LE had to take a second look due to someone claiming that Haleigh may be there. You take a guess who... I am glad to hear that LE is being thorough and feel we may have some news coming in the next few weeks and they just want to make sure no stone stays unturned before they announce what is next in the Haleigh Case. But that is just my opinion..

My quess it was a neighbor or someone who knows the Griffis. IMO I find it very hard to believe that Ronald or the Cummings would know about the animals being barried. But personally I think they should check everything because in this day and age you just never know better safe then sorry.

I've always been more suspicious of bio-mom then RC so none of this is a suprise to me!

I have always been suspicious of Chad G.
Maybe now I'll know if I was way wrong.... or right all along...

Donjeta I might be a southern girl but I find myself wondering what might be off kilter for an animal to be buried on the property. Does anyone reading here have a farm or...have insight as to what happens with large farm animals when they die? Do you bury them on the farm or does someone come and take them away? Don't laugh I am having a airhead moment.

:waitasec: Hubby used to drag the corpse off to a far corner of the farm....out of the way and far enough the smell wouldn't bother us.

He would never have gone through the trouble to did a hole large and deep enough to bury one of the horses or cows that died.

Makes no sense IMO.

There is more to this "tip" than they are saying, imo. They would not converge in force on the property and bring in divers without a substantial lead. If it were only the horses or animal carcasses they were interested in...there would be a handful of people on scene and not bulldozers, divers, and 40 officers! No way would they put this kind of manpower out there without having some very serious information on Haleigh.

i think LE is realizing they overlooked a lot of things in the beginning. They are going back over what they have already looked at b/c of all the drama that sidetracked them to begin with. I also think that taking the CA case into thought. (remember when a friend of CA said that she and CA use to burry their pets that have passed in the very same area that CMA was found, or atleast that is the first thing i thought, when i saw the article about the searched on Griffis's property)

I think it is great that LE is finally speaking about what they are doing. I am just wondering if this is "one" of the 4000 plus leads that wasn't completly followed up on. IMHO

7 hrs
1 1/2 hrs can be allowed for drive time.
4 1/2 hrs is in question.

The 1 1/2 hrs drive time would of been feasiable if she had left within 30 min of finding out.
I would of left immediatly, but, that is me.

I've always wondered where Chad G. was when the call came in.
Asleep beside Crystal?
Working?
Outside smoking?

Why, when Ron called her at 3:45 or so, did Crystal not call her mother until 5 o'clock to tell her Haleigh was missing from her bed?
They live within a stones throw from each other... right?

Did Crystal have to wait for Chad G. to get home before she could leave?

Questions I've had since day1..

There is more to this "tip" than they are saying, imo. They would not converge in force on the property and bring in divers without a substantial lead. If it were only the horses or animal carcasses they were interested in...there would be a handful of people on scene and not bulldozers, divers, and 40 officers! No way would they put this kind of manpower out there without having some very serious information on Haleigh.

SS....could you tell me if cadaver dogs would hit on animal carcasses? I know you have followed many many cases and I just wondered if you ever heard if the dogs would hit or if they could tell the difference in the decomposition? I know any info you provide will be your opinion....:)

The investigation into Haleigh Cummings' disappearance moved to Mud Lake Road this morning, June 26, after investigators found out animal remains were buried at her maternal grandmother's property east of CR 229.

Authorities learned about the remains in an interview with local family members and began a search for them with the help of cadaver dogs and private search and rescue teams.

Putnam County Sheriff's Office Detective Dominic Piscitello said 40 officers from his department, the Jacksonville and Baker County sheriff's offices were at the scene as well.

http://www.bakercountypress.com/

My quess it was a neighbor or someone who knows the Griffis. IMO I find it very hard to believe that Ronald or the Cummings would know about the animals being barried. But personally I think they should check everything because in this day and age you just never know better safe then sorry.

Some article said that the family told them about buried animals. My impression was that it was someone from Crystal's side of family telling them about the animals. But I suppose the Cummings might easily have known too because Jr. goes to visit there and he might have been told or even seen the animals being buried.

From http://bakercountypress.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2322&Itemid=79

Authorities learned about the remains in an interview with local family members and began a search for them with the help of cadaver dogs and private search and rescue teams.
"The property owners said there were buried animals on the property so we need to turn over every stone to verify that's what it is," he said. "There's no reason to believe it's not an animal."

SS....could you tell me if cadaver dogs would hit on animal carcasses? I know you have followed many many cases and I just wondered if you ever heard if the dogs would hit or if they could tell the difference in the decomposition? I know any info you provide will be your opinion....:)
Cadaver dogs, depending on their degree of training, will not alert to animal decomposition. They can tell the difference. I pray the animals they are using for this search are specifically trained on human decomp.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back