GUILTY NH - Krista Dittmeyer, 20, Conway, 23 April 2011 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has there been any word on why she was in N Conway? Was it to visit the friends she had there? I can't see her bringing her child if she was going skiing. Maybe to the outlets for shopping? But that's very early to be on the road for shopping? :confused:

It's unclear why Dittmeyer was in New Hampshire. She lives in Portland, Maine, and is originally from Bridgton, Maine. Her family last spoke to her Friday night. Dittmeyer's mother said that everything sounded normal when she talked to her daughter.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/missing-maine-mom-krista-dittmeyer-left-car-running/story?id=13449896

goodmorning gardenlady! according to this ^^ they don't know why she was there. I hope they are checking phone records.

I posted a map a few pages back and it shows her house is 60 miles away from where her car was found!

Has there been any word on why she was in N Conway? Was it to visit the friends she had there? I can't see her bringing her child if she was going skiing. Maybe to the outlets for shopping? But that's very early to be on the road for shopping? :confused:

Is it still ski season? Even at that hour (6:30a when the car/baby was reported to LE) wouldn't there have been more ppl around?..I'm not a skier so that's just a guess..I have been to No. Conway to the outlet shops & a few vacations in the past..It's really beautiful there especially in fall & winter.

According to their website, Mt. Cranmore closed for the season at the end of March, though some other ski resorts in the area (Wildcat, for instance) have been open for most of April.

Mt. Cranmore re-opens for summer activities on Memorial Day. I was up there a few years ago in the late spring; such a beautiful place.

Good morning and thank you Nurse, for the quote! :) Was hoping theyd have found out from family or friends what brought her there. If skiing at Cranmore was closed, then really the only thing I can think of that might have brought her there on a Saturday early would have been the outlets, or maybe any of the scenic stuff? I think there's a railroad that is popular with tourists there, but not sure if it runs at this time of year.

Like the rest of the New England folks posting here :)wave:) I have been to N Conway a few times, mostly for shopping at the outlets, and once for a romantic weekend in the fall long ago with an old flame. :innocent: Lovely area. But Id say it does attract lots of out of towners due to touristy stuff and shopping - people more local to the area might be able to say how much non-local traffic they'd be getting this time of year. Wonder if it is a local, or someone just passing through.

Hey guys
I live about an hour away from where Krista was. :(
It feels so weird for it to happen close to you. It always seems like it happens near someone else in a different state. Not YOUR state you live in. :(
Anyway, I just heard about Krista on my local news (WMUR) tonight for the first time and was glad to see people already were talking about it.
And yes. we woke up to snow yesterday, even not in the mountains.
I feel so sad and scared for her if she was forced to leave her baby. I can't imagine. I don't even know the words to say.
I hope she us found safe quickly and am so glad the baby was kept safe.

What are the locals saying? What's the general feeling, theory, speculation?

If you guys would like pictures, I could get some tomorrow. I have lived here for almost 10 years now, and this doesn't happen here. And this is the super odd part......Cranmore is out of the way of everything. Hubby and I cannot figure out any good reason for her to be out there, especially at that time of night. It makes zero sense. If she were meeting someone, there are many, many better places on Rt 16. Cranmore is tucked up on the north side of town and the road to there doesn't go anywhere. IF you know where you are going you can get to an adjacent town from there, but it is a road many locals won't drive and I cannot see a 20 y.o. mother from another town taking that road in the dark and at night. SPECULATION ALERT: What if something happened to Krista elsewhere, they couldn't figure out what to do with the baby and they drove the car to Cranmore, left the car running and the flashers on because they did not want to be seen getting in or out of the vehicle and knew that people would be showing up early Saturday morning to work out at the fitness center......maybe Krista was never at Cranmore, only her car and child were. Cranmore fitness would be one of the only places open at 6:30 am on a Saturday morning around here. Maybe the only place except the other fitness club which is out on the main roadway. Not good if you do not want to be seen.

If you guys would like pictures, I could get some tomorrow. I have lived here for almost 10 years now, and this doesn't happen here. And this is the super odd part......Cranmore is out of the way of everything. Hubby and I cannot figure out any good reason for her to be out there, especially at that time of night. It makes zero sense. If she were meeting someone, there are many, many better places on Rt 16. Cranmore is tucked up on the north side of town and the road to there doesn't go anywhere. IF you know where you are going you can get to an adjacent town from there, but it is a road many locals won't drive and I cannot see a 20 y.o. mother from another town taking that road in the dark and at night. SPECULATION ALERT: What if something happened to Krista elsewhere, they couldn't figure out what to do with the baby and they drove the car to Cranmore, left the car running and the flashers on because they did not want to be seen getting in or out of the vehicle and knew that people would be showing up early Saturday morning to work out at the fitness center......maybe Krista was never at Cranmore, only her car and child were. Cranmore fitness would be one of the only places open at 6:30 am on a Saturday morning around here. Maybe the only place except the other fitness club which is out on the main roadway. Not good if you do not want to be seen.

http://www.cranmorefitness.com/

The only thing that I can think of is that it's so far out of the road, it wouldn't have surveillance cameras, but still had enough traffic that somebody would be along to find the baby.

http://www.conwaydailysun.com/node/461782

This article with the pics, IMO, is the best we got. It looks like this was taken close to 6:30 am when the car was found. It has some great "angle" shots where you get to see what type of area it REALLY was.
Things we know...

1) Very FIRST pic...on the right. The car has NO snow on or around it....so apparently seems it didn't start until AFTER police got there. Ground also looks "dry".
2) Article says car was found 6:30 am...running...with baby inside, flashers on, door open.
3) Last talked to family at 8 pm.
4) She has "friends" up that way.

Things we don't know...
1) Conversation details from 8 pm call
2) Was purse, etc left in car
3) Was any helpful comments by baby...mommy crying, etc...I know, long shot given babies age. To what degree of "hysteria"/ distress was child.
4) Cell pings...calls made during trip...friends info
5) Luggage, etc...overnite stay? Baby bag...if maybe just out for a "drive".
6) Her clothes...in "club" clothes, or just "regular"

My take on this....
1) Don't think she went to "pee"...seems some kind of store or something in close proximity up the road
2) I DO believe LE will be able to extrapolate, somehow, by engine temp/gas usage at least some sort of "window" within basic "hour" increments as to the time car was sitting there running. Even though initial amount of gas was not known....a cars temp guage WILL increase somewhat if a car is just idling without moving. So...compare temp car starts up and warms to...vs. what increases happen with "X" amount of hours.
3) Even IF she did go to pee...she wouldn't probably leave door open.
4) I really DO agree with the comments about a car with sirens/flashing lights pulling her over. I actually DO put my hazard flashers on whenever I pull off the road...any kind of road...just force of habit.
5) There HAVE been cases where cars were found on highwys, etc with the motor running/door open person gone.
6) I'm almost thinking, MAYBE she left HER car to see what was going on with the so called "police car". OR....the often "step out of the car please" when he gets to the window
7) This is either a stalker who picked her out and had been following her for a while and seized this opportunity....
8) Purely random pathetic sicko

Sorry for the long winded post!!

The only thing that I can think of is that it's so far out of the road, it wouldn't have surveillance cameras, but still had enough traffic that somebody would be along to find the baby.

Actually carbuff, they have video cameras on the ski runs, you can watch them when the lifts are running. So IMO, they might have surveillance cameras in the parking lots too. But you have to remember that most of the locals work or have worked at these resorts for years and most know which ones have cameras, etc. I do believe this area was chosen due to its remote location but still having a great deal of traffic early in the morning. Keep in mind that Cranmore is about a mile north of White Mountain Hwy, the only reliable traffic at that time of night.

omg!!! one of my best friends lives SOOOO close to North Conway! I will have to talk to her about this.

I just spoke to my friend who is extremely close to North Conway and she said they think crime is involved because of the girls car door being opened and the hazard light being on.

Actually carbuff, they have video cameras on the ski runs, you can watch them when the lifts are running. So IMO, they might have surveillance cameras in the parking lots too. But you have to remember that most of the locals work or have worked at these resorts for years and most know which ones have cameras, etc. I do believe this area was chosen due to its remote location but still having a great deal of traffic early in the morning. Keep in mind that Cranmore is about a mile north of White Mountain Hwy, the only reliable traffic at that time of night.

I wasn't clear, sorry -- I didn't mean there weren't cameras, but the Cranmore cameras don't seem to be operating right now, while the resort isn't operating. At least I couldn't see any of them from their website yesterday. I was speculating that if they had cameras in the parking lot, they'd be the same thing -- maybe operating, but nobody watching them.

I just can't think of a lot of reasons to be back there otherwise. All the times I've been in Conway/North Conway, I've only been out to Cranmore once. There's a back road on the other side that lets you bypass all the N. Conway traffic, but otherwise, it's 16 all the way.

It's been several years since I was up there. Is that the parking lot across from the base lodge, can you tell?

MyTinkieGirl:
Those pictures would be from early Saturday morning. It didn't start to snow until around 9 or 10 am and the car was found at 6:30. I was driving around at 9:45 and the roads were still clear, snow was falling but not really sticking at that point. There was no snow on the ground when her car was parked in that lot, I will guarantee you that.

And there is no store up the road, the building you are seeing is Cranmore Fitness. It is about a mile outside of town and away from the main roads. The only way to pee out there is if you squat. There would be absolutely zero reason to be out there at that time of night. The only place to go pee would be back in town, about a mile away, and try to find a gas station that is open at that hour. The most logical thing would be to pee at the friends house where she was visiting. Incidentally, Bridgton is the opposite direction from Cranmore, about 27 miles to the east. She lives in Portland and Bridgton.

Like the rest of the New England folks posting here :)wave:) I have been to N Conway a few times, mostly for shopping at the outlets, and once for a romantic weekend in the fall long ago with an old flame. :innocent: Lovely area. But Id say it does attract lots of out of towners due to touristy stuff and shopping - people more local to the area might be able to say how much non-local traffic they'd be getting this time of year. Wonder if it is a local, or someone just passing through.

Right back at ya Gardenlady :seeya:

It's been a few yrs since I've been UP there to No. Conway (Red Jacket Inn is an awesome scenic hotel!) but my guess is there's not too much going on there at this time of yr..A few more months def! I have a feeling it's someone she knows that may have even followed her the entire way from Maine which someone said was about 60 miles=about 1 hr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77