Penn State athletic director plus ex-Paterno assistant charged in child rape case #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think this article's been linked yet; it's long and, depending on your way of reading it, maybe either an apology for Joe Paterno's actions or a fair look at a complex issue. It's by Joe Posnanski, who I read for years when he wrote for the Kansas City Star (he's currently a senior editor at Sports Illustrated). Posnanski took a year off and moved to State College to complete a book about Paterno - to be released next Father's Day, and Poz and his publishers no doubt hoped it would be a big-seller in the "What in the world can I buy for dad this year?" category and tap into that "Tuesdays with Morrie," feel-good, sports spirit.

The End of Paterno (Joe Posnanski, Sports Illustrated)

Posnanski, in terms of his access to Paterno and his actually being boots on the ground at Penn State when this affair began, has, in my estimation, failed spectacularly as a reporter. On Twitter, his middling tweets about the matter have been much reviled. (Including by his former colleague at the Star, Jason Whitlock, who writes now for FoxSports.) The general attitude among sports pundits seems to be "oh boo-hoo-hoo, real life inconvenienced your little puff-piece of a book" - a whole lotta schadenfreude goin' on: Jopo has become JoePa Jr., in the estimations of many. I'm curious to see what anyone else might think.

Here, also, is a much shorter piece he did for his personal blog: Curiously short posts

Thanks for sharing that link, wfgodot.

What do I think? I think Posnanski can cry me a river. :boohoo:

I especially loved this bit:

But I will say that I am sickened, absolutely sickened, that some of those people whose lives were fundamentally inspired and galvanized by Joe Paterno have not stepped forward to stand up for him this week, have stood back and allowed him to be painted as an inhuman monster who was only interested in his legacy, even at the cost of the most heinous crimes against children imaginable.
Shame on them.
And why? I’ll tell you my opinion: Because they were afraid. And I understand that. A kind word for Joe Paterno in this storm is taken by many as a pro vote for a child molester. A quick, “Wait a minute, Joe Paterno is a good man. Let’s see what happened here” is translated as an attempt to minimize the horror of what Jerry Sandusky is charged with doing. It takes courage to stand behind someone you believe in when it’s this bad outside. It takes courage to stand up for a man in peril, even if he stood up for you.

Indeed, the irony is RICH.

I am sickened, absolutely sickened by the tenor of this article.

That's right folks, a big ol' shame on people for not stepping up for JoePa, who is by all accounts due to be canonized as a saint at any moment now.

You want to talk about courage? How about having the courage to stand up for a CHILD in peril?

What a dO#c7&b@% !

That's right folks, a big ol' shame on people for not stepping up for JoePa, who is by all accounts due to be canonized as a saint at any moment now.

If the "people whose lives I had touched" included such All-American heroes as the guy who walked in on a child rape and walked out again to go phone his daddy, I wouldn't be in the slightest bit surprised if none of them had the balls to stand up for me.

You lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas.

An interesting article from yesterday, from Gregg Doyel, CBS Sports:

Gricar's 2005 disappearance only one of many mysteries in PSU scandal

Gricar's disappearance may or may not be related to PSU's current situation - or, rather, their long-term situation that has finally seen the clear light of day - but it, nevertheless, belongs in the discussion. Will post this on the Gricar thread too. Not much new here if you've already read about the Gricar case and his role as Centre County DA, but, if not, it's very clearly presented here.

At Penn State’s stadium, profanity, scorn greet one father’s protest (Washington Times)

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. — In the middle of Curtin Road, John Matko held one handwritten sign in his right hand and rested another against his jeans. Two inches of black tape obscured Penn State’s logo on the 34-year-old father’s hat, as he tried to ignore the jeers, slaps and beer hurled at him.

“Put abused kids first,” one of Matko’s signs read. “Don’t be fooled, they all knew. Tom Bradley, everyone must go.”
---
“That is such bull–-!” one young woman screamed at him after glancing at the signs. “Who the f– do you think you are?”
---
much more at link above

Have these people no idea how they look to the rest of the world looking on? "This is about the players."

Disgusting. I applaud that man for his protest though.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/11/11/2497143/charity-program-the-second-mile.html

Guidance counselors in the State College Area schools have stopped referring students to The Second Mile’s early intervention youth programs.

Some educators said they felt betrayed by the news.

“I have been a public school teacher for 23 years. During that time I have referred many children to The Second Mile,” Bellefonte resident Susan Munnell wrote in a letter to the Centre Daily Times. “It makes me sick to now know that I could have been throwing them to the wolves — wolves that prey on innocent, at-risk children seeking acceptance and positive role models.”

Oh the horror every parent, teacher, CPS worker, social worker, counselor, church, coach, etc. that ever made a referral in good faith must be feeling. Some will know how many referrals they made and may can reach out to those children or adults but some agencies deal with so many children and may be only left with the hurt and guilt of wondering.

I am glad to see these people speaking out. Maybe it will encourage the victims to come forward.

This isn't the only school, or college where sexual abuse of minors has been covered up for years, and continues to this day, where people in the community turn a blind eye to what is going on.

I'll be interested to see if the investigation leads to these other places.

I had no idea that Jay Paterno worked for his father Joe Paterno. Is that really true?

I had no idea that Jay Paterno worked for his father Joe Paterno. Is that really true?
Yes, he's PSU quarterbacks coach. Nepotism is a regular feature of coaching families.

Sorry. When I saw him during the game he had his pullover off and had on a white shirt. Interesting that his message is that he's proud of his dad.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...ate-nittany-lions-focus-game-day-amid-turmoil

Vs. Tom Bradley (all in blue) who says he is proud of the players.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...ate-nittany-lions-focus-game-day-amid-turmoil

(below quote is from 1st link above)

"We wanted to demonstrate, not just in the Penn State community but to rest of world, that Penn State is a caring community," new president Rod Erickson said afterward. "That Penn State will move forward with a sense of purpose. And that, hopefully, there are elements of good that can come out of situation we found ourselves in this past week."

All that was missing was a victory.

:cry: I don't even know what to say. I think a whole lot more is missing than just a victory. I'd like to know what John Matko thinks about Erikson's comment.

This isn't the only school, or college where sexual abuse of minors has been covered up for years, and continues to this day, where people in the community turn a blind eye to what is going on.

I'll be interested to see if the investigation leads to these other places.

I don't think anyone would disagree with you on that but I don't believe anyone here has made that claim. That said, I do believe that this will generate a serious wake-up call and change in protocols at colleges/universities, schools, and youth programs everywhere.

I am currently looking for articles about Paterno spending time with Sandusky outside of work. If anyone comes across some, please msg me the links.

Thanks.

http://m.ibtimes.com/jerry-sandusky-wife-penn-state-scandal-248276.html

Jerry Sandusky's wife, Dorothy 'Dottie' Gross Sandusky, has been largely absent in light of the developing Penn State child abuse scandal of which her husband is the primary focus.

Dottie did, however, try to get in contact with Victim 7, the report indicates. Although Victim 7 had cut off ties with Sandusky, he was contacted separately by Sandusky and Dottie as well as one of Sandusky's friends a few weeks prior to Victim 7's appearance before the Grand Jury. It is not clear why Dottie tried to contact Victim 7 and he did not call Dottie back.

If this has previously linked, I apologize...

The greatness surrounding Sandusky's 1999 retirement :sick:

Last Call
Jerry Sandusky, the dean of Linebacker U, is leaving Penn State after 32 years to devote himself to a different kind of coaching

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1017979/index.htm

The last sentence from the above link speaks volumes as to Paterno's obvious knowledge of this freak's disgusting criminal actions:

Working under Paterno takes something out of a man, too. Sandusky was asked last week if he'll miss Joe Pa. "Well, not exactly," he said. "You have to understand that so much of our time was spent under stress, figuring out how to win. That takes a toll. We've had our battles. I've quit. I've been fired. I've walked around the building to cool off." Paterno says, "I'm not the easiest guy to work with." Millen puts it another way: "Figuratively speaking, that Paterno nose is everywhere."

Of course Paterno knew. That he chose to enable this monster rather than saving those children is reprehensible.

Speculating... and many people irl already told me I'm an evil person, a child molester, an a-hole, and a morally reprehensible person for supporting Paterno so none of you need to. I am fully aware I may eat crow in the future as more information becomes available but...

What if it when down like this...

98 - No evidence to prosecute
99 - Paterno goes to Sandusky and says "Get out. No one will prosecute you but I don't want you in my program..."
99 - Sandusky retires. Higher ups grant emeritus status.
02 - McQueary sees rape. Tells dad, a physician, a required reporter to LE. Tells Paterno, a required reporter to higher ups. Spanier, Curley and Schultz decide to take Sandusky's keys away and notify Second Mile Board. Paterno assumes there is an investigation occurring. It happened before. The cover up extends beyond PSU. Additional reporting happens or doesn't happen (we don't know) but nothing comes of it. It went all the way to DA last time before it was quashed. These things take time. Paterno doesn't want to interfere with investigation he assumes is happening. Even if he asks, no one can tell him anything about it in the interest of protecting the investigation.
04 - Spanier, Curly and Schultz request Paterno steps down.
04 - Gricar announces he won't run in next election, won't even practice law.
05 - Gricar disappears.

Can you, for just a moment, consider that investigation did happen? In 04, higher ups at at PSU ask required reporter to step down and ask DA, that may have been hell-bent on prosecuting (we don't know) this time, not to run again? They'll even pay him off... Spanier needs to save his institution from the media onslaught that will come out of this. Both refuse... they can't take out Paterno, but they can get rid of Gricar.

Also, keep in mind, the most popular face of the university still reported up to someone. Spanier forced Paterno into the spotlight. Paterno despised press conferences but there he was... every Tuesday... He didn't want to be a spokesperson, he wanted to be a football coach. He had only as much power as the man behind the curtain allowed him to have... The perception of the power of Paterno is much greater than the real power he wielded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie