Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liz, that's possible, but if you want to take the documentary Cocaine Cowboys at face value as far as the time line set out by the men and women interviewed, the Colombians associated with the Cartels only really showed up later in the very late 70s. The case of the Mystery Couple just feels too early to be tied up with the hardcore drug scene as it developed in Florida a few years later.

IDK about that movie ? Have never seen it. But I lived in Miami during the mid 70's...lotsa coke seemed to come in...lot of people looking to make $$$...I would say that in the mid 70's turf was being carved out ; mid level distributors fighting for their place in the heirarchy...Just a thought, and JMO...

As a result of this supply, I remember that rock cocaine ( much later called "crack" )was in plentiful supply in Manhattan from 1977 onwards....

Liz, that's possible, but if you want to take the documentary Cocaine Cowboys at face value as far as the time line set out by the men and women interviewed, the Colombians associated with the Cartels only really showed up later in the very late 70s. The case of the Mystery Couple just feels too early to be tied up with the hardcore drug scene as it developed in Florida a few years later.

I recently watched that same movie and noticed the same thing about the timeline. However I just saw in Posada's CIA file that the agency suspected him of trafficking cocaine from Colombia in 1973, so there were some drugs, money, and arms floating around by then.

Thanks PHB... then we are back to the question of why do reports indicate the couple was shot with .357, but the "murder weapon" found in Lonnie George Henry's car was a .38 Smith and Wesson? We have discussed how aspects of this case seemed like a cover-up in the past. The thing is - at this point, I just want the victims to have their identity back.....

Both the bullets and the gun were described as .357 Magnum. Here's a 1994 article: http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...&pg=2457,3241947&dq=sled+gun+1977+latta&hl=en

The original news item about SLED testing the gun (ca. January 1977) also said it was a .357 Magnum.

After watching several “disappeared” episodes, I felt compelled to try and solve a missing persons case myself. I started in my own state of SC and trolled around looking for cases that seemed solvable, which led me to this case. I believe, like so many others, that this couple had to have a family that was missing them and there was enough pieces of the puzzle to at least identify this couple. IT IS SOLVABLE!!!

I first started by eliminating missing people from 1976, and essentially eliminated all but a handful of missing persons. I kept coming back to Michael and Cordelia Mcminn, a couple from Portland, Oregon who went missing in May of 1976. Information about their disappearance wasn’t posted on missing person websites until 2008. At first glance, it seemed to be a “lost at sea” tale, but after doing some more investigating, there seems like something else was going on. They were spotted within 25 miles of their port of destination and LE has confirmed spottings in Canadian waters just north of the border as late as July. After doing some research about Michael and Cordelia Mcminn’s disappearance, it became clear (at least from news articles) that drug smuggling seemed to be a central theme in their disappearance. It was speculated that couple was high jacked and murdered by drug smugglers. On the other hand, in another news article, that references the Mcminn’s disappearance, the DEA indicates that high jacking of boats by drug smugglers for the purpose of smuggling drugs was not common, due to the fact that drug smuggling operations aren’t interested stealing boats, since they have plenty of money to buy boats and drug smugglers like to remain low key. Also, their boat was only a 25’ trimaran, not an expensive boat. Moreover, their boat was installed with an automatic radio beacon that would have been activated in the event that boat was sinking that the search parties would have easily located. Could the Mcminn’s been involved with drug smuggling themselves and were purposefully eluding authorities?

That being said, I also believe drug smuggling is at the center of the Sumter case. I think these are not drifters or hitchhikers as some people have suggested. I believe, for many reasons, foremost because they were to have been staying at the KOA, indicating they most likely had a vehicle or a camper. Also because of a news article which I have not seen any discussion about. A news article about a mechanic in York, Nebraska (where there is a Grant’s truck stop) who said he recognized John Doe and he had done repairs on their vehicle. He also stated that he remembered the license plate had either OREGON, or Washington plates. The most direct route from Portland or Vancouver region to SC goes through York, NE……….Hmmmm….

At this time in the drug smuggling history, camper vans were the vehicle of choice for the distribution of drugs(LE believes the tire tracks were from a van). Could Jane and John Doe have been smuggling drugs? According to David Batson, the guy at the KOA who shot pool with John Doe stated the couple was driving back and forth to Florida via I-95(The largest drug cable in the US). John Doe also stated “I was disowned for being a teacher rather than doctor…. like his father….and being from Canada” as one person described it…… “It sounds like something out of a Victorian novel”. This was a fabricated story to explain his North Eastern accent and why they are so far from home and are available to travel so much. If they are drug smugglers on the run, it would sound like a very likely story. The fact that the couple had been to Florida the year before, based on the ’75 IMSA shirt John Doe was wearing, also lends itself to this theory. The whole thing stinks of drug smuggling. Ultimately, I think Jane and John doe were executed for being a liability to the drug smuggling organization. I have also interviewed someone else that said they saw them at the campground.

During my investigation, I also saw that Reannan had contacted Michael’s brother.

I stumbled on the following information today about a missing couple from the April/May 1976 time frame. I have never seen their names anywhere else, and it is infact, hard to find information on them. I can't find a description anywhere. Apparently, they were a young couple from Portland, Oregon with ties to Vancouver, Canada. They must have been fairly affluent because they sailed from Hawaii to Oregon for several years. They went missing on a sailing trip in May of 1976. There was one article from a September 1976 Newspaper that "the family" had launched an investigation. No mention of LE being involved. And the other thing I found was a posting on a Cruisingworld.com webiste by the brother of the missing man from August of this year (2008). How timely, huh? No where is there a description of the couple. So....I registered at the cruisingworld.com site and responded to his query with directions to our thread here. Can't hurt. The missing couple's name was Michael and Coredlia McMinn, both around 26 years old.

I have also contacted the brother and it is his position, as it was then, that he doesn’t believe that this is his brother and sister in law based on looking at photos. I think there are several reasons that can explain why he was unable to make an identification. Primarily, because it would be tough to identify anyone with so many varying composites and crummy photos, and also because of the enormous amount of time that has passed.

2920620110045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

2659033760045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

When I look at these photos, especially Carl’s composites, I see the same people. Thanks Carl for such fantastic composites! Also, I believe you can see a mole on Cordelia’s cheek. Michael Mcminn had a piece of metal pierce his shoulder in a motorcycle collision with a street sweeper rear view mirror which would explain the scars on his shoulder. Cordelia has blue/green eyes. All physical characteristics match: height, weight, hair color, eye color. I have been in contact with both families and they are willing to submit to DNA testing. This process will begin soon and I will keep the community updated with the progress.
I apologize for the length of the post, as I am new to websleuths. I have read every post on websleuths on this case. I think there has been some amazing investigating taking place on websleuths, by far the most in depth discussion of this case. I have conducted several interviews and have way more to post, but I will keep it short for now. I think the IMSA connection is the missing connection as some people have alluded to.

I think more compelling than anything else, is this that this explains why two families never went looking for their family members. They haven’t been looking for them, because they thought they were already deceased!

Thanks for posting this Tear Drop. I think this is a very interesting possible match.

In response to your comment as to why Michael's brother might not recognize him. It could be that his brother never saw him clean-shaven. As you told me prior to your posting this message, he was much younger than Michael.

Also, I think the embalming gave the John Doe's lips a swollen, puckered look that I don't think was there when he was alive.

Just for clarification to the other members: Tear Drop contacted me prior to posting his message, and showed me the photos that he had obtained. I then modified my facial reconstruction of the John Doe to show how he would look with glasses, lambchop sideburns, and a bushy moustache, and put together the two montages shown in Tear Drop's post above.

I think with those modifications the resemblance for both Michael and Cordelia to the John and Jane doe are amazing.

Moreover, their boat was installed with an automatic radio beacon that would have been activated in the event that boat was sinking that the search parties would have easily located.

I question that assertion. One of the articles I saw said the boat only had a receiver, not a transmitter; another said it had a beacon with a range of 150 miles, when taking a little 25' sail-powered trimaran thousands of miles from Hawaii to Canada. We can't rule out that they were simply swallowed by the ocean somewhere. (This doesn't prove your suggested scenario didn't happen though.)

After watching several “disappeared” episodes, I felt compelled to try and solve a missing persons case myself. I started in my own state of SC and trolled around looking for cases that seemed solvable, which led me to this case. I believe, like so many others, that this couple had to have a family that was missing them and there was enough pieces of the puzzle to at least identify this couple. IT IS SOLVABLE!!!

I first started by eliminating missing people from 1976, and essentially eliminated all but a handful of missing persons. I kept coming back to Michael and Cordelia Mcminn, a couple from Portland, Oregon who went missing in May of 1976. Information about their disappearance wasn’t posted on missing person websites until 2008. At first glance, it seemed to be a “lost at sea” tale, but after doing some more investigating, there seems like something else was going on. They were spotted within 25 miles of their port of destination and LE has confirmed spottings in Canadian waters just north of the border as late as July. After doing some research about Michael and Cordelia Mcminn’s disappearance, it became clear (at least from news articles) that drug smuggling seemed to be a central theme in their disappearance. It was speculated that couple was high jacked and murdered by drug smugglers. On the other hand, in another news article, that references the Mcminn’s disappearance, the DEA indicates that high jacking of boats by drug smugglers for the purpose of smuggling drugs was not common, due to the fact that drug smuggling operations aren’t interested stealing boats, since they have plenty of money to buy boats and drug smugglers like to remain low key. Also, their boat was only a 25’ trimaran, not an expensive boat. Moreover, their boat was installed with an automatic radio beacon that would have been activated in the event that boat was sinking that the search parties would have easily located. Could the Mcminn’s been involved with drug smuggling themselves and were purposefully eluding authorities?

That being said, I also believe drug smuggling is at the center of the Sumter case. I think these are not drifters or hitchhikers as some people have suggested. I believe, for many reasons, foremost because they were to have been staying at the KOA, indicating they most likely had a vehicle or a camper. Also because of a news article which I have not seen any discussion about. A news article about a mechanic in York, Nebraska (where there is a Grant’s truck stop) who said he recognized John Doe and he had done repairs on their vehicle. He also stated that he remembered the license plate had either OREGON, or Washington plates. The most direct route from Portland or Vancouver region to SC goes through York, NE……….Hmmmm….

At this time in the drug smuggling history, camper vans were the vehicle of choice for the distribution of drugs(LE believes the tire tracks were from a van). Could Jane and John Doe have been smuggling drugs? According to David Batson, the guy at the KOA who shot pool with John Doe stated the couple was driving back and forth to Florida via I-95(The largest drug cable in the US). John Doe also stated “I was disowned for being a teacher rather than doctor…. like his father….and being from Canada” as one person described it…… “It sounds like something out of a Victorian novel”. This was a fabricated story to explain his North Eastern accent and why they are so far from home and are available to travel so much. If they are drug smugglers on the run, it would sound like a very likely story. The fact that the couple had been to Florida the year before, based on the ’75 IMSA shirt John Doe was wearing, also lends itself to this theory. The whole thing stinks of drug smuggling. Ultimately, I think Jane and John doe were executed for being a liability to the drug smuggling organization. I have also interviewed someone else that said they saw them at the campground.

During my investigation, I also saw that Reannan had contacted Michael’s brother.

I have also contacted the brother and it is his position, as it was then, that he doesn’t believe that this is his brother and sister in law based on looking at photos. I think there are several reasons that can explain why he was unable to make an identification. Primarily, because it would be tough to identify anyone with so many varying composites and crummy photos, and also because of the enormous amount of time that has passed.

2920620110045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

2659033760045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

When I look at these photos, especially Carl’s composites, I see the same people. Thanks Carl for such fantastic composites! Also, I believe you can see a mole on Cordelia’s cheek. Michael Mcminn had a piece of metal pierce his shoulder in a motorcycle collision with a street sweeper rear view mirror which would explain the scars on his shoulder. Cordelia has blue/green eyes. All physical characteristics match: height, weight, hair color, eye color. I have been in contact with both families and they are willing to submit to DNA testing. This process will begin soon and I will keep the community updated with the progress.
I apologize for the length of the post, as I am new to websleuths. I have read every post on websleuths on this case. I think there has been some amazing investigating taking place on websleuths, by far the most in depth discussion of this case. I have conducted several interviews and have way more to post, but I will keep it short for now. I think the IMSA connection is the missing connection as some people have alluded to.

I think more compelling than anything else, is this that this explains why two families never went looking for their family members. They haven’t been looking for them, because they thought they were already deceased!

I am impressed with Tear Drop and CarlK's work on the comparison of the SC Mystery Couple to the case of Michael and Cordelia McMinn from Hawaii/Washington state. When I first learned about the missing McMinn couple back in 2008, I wasn't able to find any pictures of them. If the families are willing to participate in DNA samples, we just need to coordinate getting the comparison done. If they aren't a match, then we move onto the Argentina connection. I am in South Carolina, and a few hours away from Sumter County. I sent an email to the corner last year about the Argentina couple - with no response... my Summer 2012 plans have included a visit in person to discuss this case with the Sumter County coroner. I had hoped to do so in June, but got sidetracked with family issues (good ones - college graudation, etc.) Anyways, I would love to help with this case, and will move mountains to get it solved.

In addition to showing what the John Doe would look like with Michael McMinn's moustache, sideburns, and glasses, I also modified Michael's photo to show what he would look like clean-shaven and without glasses.

2033853300045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

BTW, there was another photo of him with a big visor and full scraggly beard, but it was pointless to put it up for comparson because the hat and beard covered up so much.

But it does show that he has been known to make big changes to his appearance.

A few other pictures... one of Michael and Cordelia McMinn, and one of each of the McMinn's with the UID pictures:

Attachments

• Michael and Cordelia McMinn 01.JPG
    Michael and Cordelia McMinn 01.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 109
  • Cordelia McMinn vs Jane Doe_01.JPG
    Cordelia McMinn vs Jane Doe_01.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 97
  • Michael McMinn vs Jock Doe_01.JPG
    Michael McMinn vs Jock Doe_01.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 88
I question that assertion. One of the articles I saw said the boat only had a receiver, not a transmitter; another said it had a beacon with a range of 150 miles, when taking a little 25' sail-powered trimaran thousands of miles from Hawaii to Canada. We can't rule out that they were simply swallowed by the ocean somewhere. (This doesn't prove your suggested scenario didn't happen though.)

You are correct, it was not equipped with a transmitter(a radio transmitter) ;however, just to clarify, it was equipped with distress beacon that could transmit a distress signal for eight days with a range of 150 miles.

Here is the article you are referring to:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...WmMzAAAAIBAJ&sjid=aOoFAAAAIBAJ&pg=737,4504903

The area they were last spotted in June and July would have placed them in the waters just east of the Vancouver area. Considering there were plenty of boats in that area, and there was an active search for the two, both air and sea, their signal would have easily been detected within this time frame.

Here is a google map of the area:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=vanc...F-8&ei=GuHzT8aUGYLv0gHn56XOBg&ved=0CFAQ_AUoAg

Their boat was spotted in the following areas: Port Angles(their port of destination), Haro strait and waters just east of Vancouver.

Here is the newspaper articles reference these locations:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...dQzAAAAIBAJ&sjid=W-oFAAAAIBAJ&pg=5261,4032266

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...LESAAAAIBAJ&sjid=1vgDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4202,2120545

Notice how close they were to land. If they were in distress they would be navigating towards land, or other boats and/or their distress beacon would have been heard. These spottings put them in sight of land.

Once they crossed the pacific from Hawaii, they would have called their relatives or made some sort effort to let someone know, by all accounts. They would not have continued to navigate in these waters for 1-2 months unless they were intentionally not contacting their relatives which would indicate something was very wrong. In other words, they intentionally did not want anyone to know were they were, which is theory i lean towards.

Even considering a theory were the couple was intentionally avoiding contact, and decided to navigate these waters, and then there were in some sort of distress, i still will refer to my previous argument that they would have been found by search parties.

Moreover, as you mentioned, there was a receiver on the boat. They were broadcasting the search for the Mcminn's over the radio. During this time, they would have been alerted to the search for them, and would have made contact with someone to call off the search.

I honestly can't imagine any reasonable scenario that a "lost at sea" or distress type of situation would have taken place in these waters without them being found.

The only other reasonable scenario would be that they were hijacked. I refer back to my previous post about the unlikeliness of a hijacking, but can not be ruled out.

Here is the article suggesting a hijacking scenario was not likely by drug smugglers according to the DEA who are experts at profiling drug smugglers, however others disagree:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...lo0AAAAIBAJ&sjid=a-sFAAAAIBAJ&pg=4445,3705709

Moreover, hijackings in these particular waters were not common. These type of hijackings were happening in the waters around Florida, mostly yachts that were worth $$$$$. Not a small Trimarans.

My gut is that they were not hijacked or "lost at sea", but they were intentionally avoiding contact.

Thanks for making that point, i wanted better clarify this part of my theory.

I am impressed with Tear Drop and CarlK's work on the comparison of the SC Mystery Couple to the case of Michael and Cordelia McMinn from Hawaii/Washington state. When I first learned about the missing McMinn couple back in 2008, I wasn't able to find any pictures of them. If the families are willing to participate in DNA samples, we just need to coordinate getting the comparison done. If they aren't a match, then we move onto the Argentina connection. I am in South Carolina, and a few hours away from Sumter County. I sent an email to the corner last year about the Argentina couple - with no response... my Summer 2012 plans have included a visit in person to discuss this case with the Sumter County coroner. I had hoped to do so in June, but got sidetracked with family issues (good ones - college graudation, etc.) Anyways, I would love to help with this case, and will move mountains to get it solved.

Thanks for taking interest in this possible match. I am currently coordinating DNA testing. I have plans on going back to Sumter soon, also. I would like to go to the crime scene and campground among other places. You never know what you might dig up. Maybe we can get together down there.

Thanks for posting this Tear Drop. I think this is a very interesting possible match.

In response to your comment as to why Michael's brother might not recognize him. It could be that his brother never saw him clean-shaven. As you told me prior to your posting this message, he was much younger than Michael.

Also, I think the embalming gave the John Doe's lips a swollen, puckered look that I don't think was there when he was alive.

Just for clarification to the other members: Tear Drop contacted me prior to posting his message, and showed me the photos that he had obtained. I then modified my facial reconstruction of the John Doe to show how he would look with glasses, lambchop sideburns, and a bushy moustache, and put together the two montages shown in Tear Drop's post above.

I think with those modifications the resemblance for both Michael and Cordelia to the John and Jane doe are amazing.

Yes, his brother rarely was clean shaven. Also, the brother was 14 when his 26 year old brother went missing, making the brother 6 when Michael was 18(an adult with facial hair). So, roughly. from the time he was 6 years old he only saw Michael with facial hair, usually a full beard. One would also venture to guess that from the time Micheal was an adult going to college and such, that he had less contact. I honestly can see how a match would be difficult. He did not adamantly deny it was not them, but was definately leaning in the direction of it not being them. He also does not think the jewelry was congruent to their personalities. I personally don't think the jewelry is very significant. He has been very open to my theories, and even admitted to having theories similar in nature.

I couldn't agree more about his lips, and the swollen tissue in general. I think you did a great job of compensating for that.

I think the resemblance is amazing too!

Thanks for taking interest in this possible match. I am currently coordinating DNA testing. I have plans on going back to Sumter soon, also. I would like to go to the crime scene and campground among other places. You never know what you might dig up. Maybe we can get together down there.

Yes, I would love to go with you. I want to also visit their current grave site. I think it would be great to share current photo's of the crime scene, camprground, and burial site with our fellow Websleuthers who can't go, but who are very interested in this case. When I tried to contact the coroner last Summer, I did not get any response at all. I did so with a letter that I mailed to him, which contained pictures of the Argentina couple and the comparison's created here at Websleuths. This year, I was planning on a different tactic. I have access to our local coroner and I was going to use his office to see if an appointment could be set up. Thoughts??

Just wondering if Michael and Cordelia have dental xrays on file ? JMO

Just wondering if Michael and Cordelia have dental xrays on file ? JMO

After speaking with Michael and Cordelia's family, i am unable to obtain a name or location of a dentist that they might have used. They lived in the Lake Oswego, OR area(right outside Portland) for the majority of the time up until their disappearance. I am planning on calling around to dentists in that area and see if i can find a needle in a haystack.

Only John Doe had extensive dental work, but no they did not know if Michael did or did not have extensive dental work done.

Here is a another angle..... What about fingerprints? I know that Micheal's brother has some letters from the couple right before they went missing. After doing some brief research of latent fingerprint analysis, it seems that i could be possible to still obtain fingerprints from these letters. Anyone know more about this possibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member