17 yo Trayvon Martin Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think subornation of perjury is considered criminal but in practice, what with the attorney-client privilege keeping their conversations with their clients confidential, who is ever going to be able to prove what an attorney has or has not been told by their client? So it comes down to each individual's professional ethics imo, and sometimes practical considerations might win (in that if your client's story is confirmed horsefeathers and the prosecutor can prove it it may be better to choose another line of defense).

BBM

However, sometimes when your professional ethics and your client's veracity are both lacking, then you float whatever you think you can get away with to win your case. Just one of the many lessons we learned from that other Florida trial.

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/new...2-documents-released-in-george-zimmerman-case

Documents released in George Zimmerman case

Circuit Judge Kenneth Lester issued an order to unseal several documents. According to one of the documents released Monday, Zimmerman's arraignment was pushed forward from May 29 to May 8.

Read more: http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/new...leased-in-george-zimmerman-case#ixzz1stU5VbNz

Court order:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/90825621/George-Zimmerman-trial-Order-to-Unseal-Court-File

Oh great, his arraignment is on my birthday now! I can't decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing! :what::floorlaugh:

Wow...........everyone must be busy reading. :D

I hope they finish quickly because I want to know what's in those documents, but I'm at work, so I can't read them myself without getting into trouble!

One thing that I have noticed and top of mind is how often it is said by DT and others (Tafee) that he "wasn't on duty" when this happened. WTF! You aren't *on duty* for NW - it's a continual thing! Me thinks they *think* have a loophole somewhere?
I've said it on other threads- I am Neighborhood Watch, there is NO on duty, where I live, there are NO shifts. If you see or hear something suspicious, you call it in, no matter what the hour. That's where it ends, you don't carry a weapon- I don't own a gun and never will, and you don't follow. You leave it up to LE, period!

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-sanford-chief-resigns-20120423,0,3336571.story

(snipped from above article at above link)

Commissioner Patty Mahany said the chief submitted his resignation over the weekend; Lee temporarily left his post last month amid complaints about how his department handled the investigation of the Feb. 26 shooting. The city commission is scheduled to hold a special meeting late Monday afternoon to discuss Lee's severance package, Mahany said.

"Elected officials used this man as a scapegoat to heal our community," she said in a telephone interview with the Los Angeles Times. "Our community was never broken."

Mahany, who had supported Lee during the political furor over his department’s investigation, called the resignation a "terrible tragedy." She said she blamed civil rights activists whose protests "ruined the reputation and career of a really stellar law enforcement officer."

Lee "is nothing but a scapegoat," Mahany said. "Our police department did nothing wrong."

I'm sure most neighborhood watch groups have their own rules.

There may be shifts for some.

I think subornation of perjury is considered criminal but in practice, what with the attorney-client privilege keeping their conversations with their clients confidential, who is ever going to be able to prove what an attorney has or has not been told by their client? So it comes down to each individual's professional ethics imo, and sometimes practical considerations might win (in that if your client's story is confirmed horsefeathers and the prosecutor can prove it it may be better to choose another line of defense).

And sometimes they get away with it even when guilt is obvious to all involved. The worst case I can recall is David Westerfield's attorney agreeing for DW to tell where Danielle's body was in exchange for a deal. LE found her before that deal could be made, thank goodness. But the atty, obviously knowing his client had murdered and dumped her, nevertheless was allowed to rip the parents to shreds and point fingers at them during trial, as if his client were a perfectly innocent angel.

That attorney's conduct, more than any other, has always bothered me. I get that he was doing whatever he could get away with for his client, but it was all such an obvious ruse. Everyone knew about the almost-made deal to give up her remains location. He was unnecessarily vicious toward the parents - in any circumstance, but especially knowing what he knew. I don't know how that atty slept at night.

I have never worked in FL but when I was City Manager in MA everything required a vote of the Council to keep the record clear. Permanent records of all hiring, firing, resignations. It there is any wrong doing on the part of the Chief in this investigation pretty much the City is on the hook. Of course it would have to be proven but a case like that is expensive and generally settled out of court.

But making the record clear right now is imperative. Because the Officers of the Department, the staff and the citizens need to know who is in charge. And a formal vote to accept the resignation makes it clear, that this chief is no longer at the helm and has no right to dictate how that department is run.
JMO/IMO
I also thing some of this is set up so that if an employee is under some sort of investigation they can't just resign without permission. (Even if they want to...they have to stay until whatever legal issue is sorted out.)
I realize this isn't the case with the Chief, but I think that's part of why the formal vote is required.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-sanford-chief-resigns-20120423,0,3336571.story

(snipped from above article at above link)

Commissioner Patty Mahany said the chief submitted his resignation over the weekend; Lee temporarily left his post last month amid complaints about how his department handled the investigation of the Feb. 26 shooting. The city commission is scheduled to hold a special meeting late Monday afternoon to discuss Lee's severance package, Mahany said.

"Elected officials used this man as a scapegoat to heal our community," she said in a telephone interview with the Los Angeles Times. "Our community was never broken."

Mahany, who had supported Lee during the political furor over his department’s investigation, called the resignation a "terrible tragedy." She said she blamed civil rights activists whose protests "ruined the reputation and career of a really stellar law enforcement officer."

Lee "is nothing but a scapegoat," Mahany said. "Our police department did nothing wrong."

I've had the impression he was being used as a scapegoat too.

That's a shame IMO.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/03/us-usa-florida-shooting-trayvon-idUSBRE8320UK20120403

When Tracy Martin greeted the police that morning, a plainclothes detective asked him to describe his son. "He asked me what he last had on. He asked me if I had any recent pictures," Martin said.

"I showed him a recent picture in the camera and he shook his head and said, 'OK, let me go to my car and get something.'" The detective returned with a folder.

It was drizzling, and he asked Martin if they could go inside. When they were seated he pulled out a photo. It was Trayvon, dead at the scene - his eyes rolled back, a tear on his cheek, saliva coming from his mouth. "From that point, our nightmare," Martin said.

BBM

where's the medico types?

saliva isn't always present at death, or CPR ( the ones I've seen anyway)
in violent deaths, may be different? what causes that- asphyxiation?

just curious

I've had the impression he was being used as a scapegoat too.

That's a shame IMO.

That is SOP in politics - somebody has to take the fall. Politicians will find someone to blame in order to deflect any blame from themselves and be perceived as pro-active righters-of-wrong. Future votes mean more to them than actual right or wrong.

The chief may or may not deserve the heat he's received, but I am so not surprised that he is taking the fall either way. Only surprised it's taken this long.

I hate politics.

Probably your right, but what evidence supports that? I believe her statement was taken 3 weeks after the event?

SPD did not want to take her statement. I am quite sure that she remembers every moment of that phone call and will for the rest of her life.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169796"]New homeowners threatened with guns and arrested - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

I'm all for the right to own a gun, but this is going way too far! Could have easily ended up just like this case! :banghead:

Maybe, just maybe there needs to be some serious repercussions for gun owners when they do things like this! Even George, I don't think he should ever be allowed to have a gun again... I don't care if he "gets off" based on a flawed law!

MOO

I know. That seemed a bit strange to me, too. Why would they care??? jmo

Because they want his public image to be in prison garb.
They want photos of him in his prison clothes to be widely circulated just as those from his first appearance were.
Prison clothes make people think "criminal" "guilty" "murderer" even though at this time, GZ is presumed innocent.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member