Found Deceased CA - Katie Wilkins, 25, dies of heroin OD, Los Angeles County, 28 April 2012

Welcome darklydreaming.

Katie had moved back in to her parents home after graduation, so where she was found was where she was currenty living.

This case weighs heavily on my heart. I check for updates several times a day.

Katie's brother, Steve is one of my heros. He is the type of sibling that everyone should be blessed to have.

http://malibusurfsidenews.com/stories/201206/201206070006.html

I hope this ongoing coverage continues to keep investigators on target. I've been following this since the get-go, and am very interested to see what the tox report says. Has it been stated that Katie lived at home with her parents? It is my understanding that she was only visiting while the parents were out of town, therefore wouldn't a search have been done of her residence? Certainly, if she had relapsed, there would be at the very least paraphernalia at her residence, since her car was obviously wiped clean of evidence.

Steve, I'm heartily sorry for your tragic and unexpected loss. My thoughts for you and your family during this difficult time.

Really interested in this part.

Diane Wilkins, Katie's mother, had told The News earlier that a "living room couch cushion, a pillow and a hall bath towel are missing" from the house, and there has been family speculation about their use to remove evidence.

Steve Wilkins, Katie's brother, told The News, "The lack of prints demands the possibility that Katie's car was wiped clean before or after it was dumped following Katie's death. Towels from our home, along with Katie's car keys, remain missing, and it is important to note that, despite a $5K reward for the car's return, whoever dumped the car chose to remain hidden rather than seek the reward money and reveal their identity."

Welcome darklydreaming.

Katie had moved back in to her parents home after graduation, so where she was found was where she was currenty living.

Thank you, for both the information and the welcome.

One of my favorite quotes I find is quite relevant to the Benton family at the moment:

"Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking." ~J.C. Watts

Thank you, for both the information and the welcome.

One of my favorite quotes I find is quite relevant to the Benton family at the moment:

"Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking." ~J.C. Watts

Hey darkly, welcome to the boards and thanks for being a voice. I think that quote is on target for placing light on the behavior of the Benton's. There is no question that they had an oppurtunity to do the right thing when they were made aware of the circumstances with my sisters death, unfortunately they chose a different path that involved amongst other things silence.

The actions taken by Chris should stand in stark contrast to his fathers response, unfortunately Andy has been complicit in Chris's concealment and actions taken since Katie died.

Andy recently denied a personal request from my father, Rob Wilkins, to meet and discuss information relating to my sister's death.

"Your reputation is what you allow others to know and think about you, and your character is who you really are. If the example of Andrew K. Benton and his son's reaction to the death of this young girl is indicitive of the character of the President of a Christian University, how can it not reflect badly on the principles of that institution?" - Hope

Quote taken from an empowered community member.

Essence, you are an amazing person, brother, son, etc! Everyone should be so lucky and blessed with someone who loves them as you do!
I am all the way on the East Coast but Katie's life story and unfortunate death has made me think and wonder how a person (Chris) can become so depraved of morals and caring for anyone but himself. Learned behavior perhaps?
Katie is beautiful and will remain that way in you and your families memories. It has been said but don't let her death impact how amazing she was.
I have joined the facebook group. I wish I could do more, Katie's story is something I believe most people can relate to because someone they know/themselves have faced the beast known as addiction. It is a disease and no one should be thought of as less of a person for facing it.
My thoughts remain with you.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012...s-her-parents-still-questioning-how-she-died/
Woman’s Heroin Overdose Has Parent’s Still Questioning How She Died
Her parents have yet to reconcile their daughter’s tragic death.

Katie Wilkins died of a heroin overdose in the garage of her parents upscale Malibu home at the age of 25.

As tough as it is to deal with their daughter’s untimely death, Wilkins’ parents — Robert and Diane — believe there is more to the story and they believe the president of Pepperdine University, for one, is keeping the full story from coming to light.

Thanks for the look imamaze.

There has not been a lot of new news, though i'm hopeful the media exposure leads more interested parties to this forum and discussion.

Anne Soble of The Malibu Surfside News is still reporting the case.
pg 13 Here

I have some update and posted most of this to "Truth for Katie", a facebook tribute page to seeking answers in Katie's death. I think it is likely the case will close soon as accidental heroin OD.

Tox is being reported as final by some media outlets. I'm not aware of a final tox report at this time though I'm getting indications that the tox will come back as accidental Heroin OD. This leaves a number of unanswered and important questions.

Detectives on the case have rigorously worked to bring answers, but the immediate source of answers, Chris Benton, has been enabled to succeed in hiding from the investigation. For those who knew Katie, the meaningful questions into how a healthy vibrant sister/daughter/friend lays dead and left alone all lead to Chris Benton for deserved answers. Heroin OD may explain the cause of death, but Chris holds the other and more important key answers that the investigation sought to reveal for my family and the community.

It is clear the truth into Katie's death presented problems for Chris; his time with Katie hours before she died, his prints at the house, Katie's missing car during the initial weeks of the investigation, the lack of drug paraphernalia at the scene of suspected drug OD, Katie's car found with no prints after video surveillance puts Katie and Chris in the car the night of 4/27/12, Chris's choice to take action to hide from the investigation after he was contacted by authorities, Chris's daily choice for over 3 months time to not contact my family,... the continued and absolute secretive and dismissive conduct of Chris and his family at such a time when the call for immediate help and truth has been repeatedly made...

I have always expected upfront and honest conduct with my family from the Benton's, Pepperdine, and especially Chris himself. My family has received nothing of the sort. Initial phone calls to the Benton's at a time when the lawyer was already in play were met with ignorance of Katie's death, requests for meetings with Andy Benton have been denied, , letters to the Board of Directors at Pepperdine to call for answers and a response have gone unanswered, Chris has changed/deactivated the cell phone number he used to txt and call Katie, there has been no show of genuine concern to my family from the Benton's though we're assured we have their prayers for us during this time. Here I have seen faith and religion used as a ruse to escape truth, accountability and decency. This is shameful conduct from a gathering of individuals put together to represent the very best of what we have to offer each other through service and faith. The lack of decency here, particular given the position Andy Holds at Pepperdine is a staggering display of hypocrisy and a shameful shout of deafening silence over a case that has very close ties to the Benton's and Pepperdine.

It doesn't sit well with me or anyone who can share my shoes as a brother losing a sister who was vibrant, happy and healthy hours before meeting up with a person who chose to take great lengths to conceal his involvement and truth of knowledge after she was found dead. Chris has been enabled to escape responsibility and accountability in what happened with my sister up to this point. I know this doesn't sit well with a number of you who have followed the story. You can write/call Pepperdine, the local papers, the LASD, and take any other measures you believe will help to bring answers. I continue to ask for your support in any measure you are confident giving, it has been heartfelt and steady throughout this difficult time, thank you.

Also i'm a new father, Mia Jessie Wilkins.

Untitled-4.png

Congratulations Steve and the mom, on your beautiful baby girl's birth, a new beginning as a new chapter in your life.

She's adoreable! :)

Steve, congratulations on the birth of your beautiful little girl. May she always be happy & healthy! I bet Katie would have loved being Mia's aunt.

I get so angry, I cannot imagine the frustration & disappointment your family feels toward the Bentons. The cool, distant response on the phone call was so telling. If Katie had died from any cause exept involving their son, they would have been right there with your parents, their friends... Hopefully, their other friends & university associates will come to see the Bentons true colors.

And, I hope Katie's loved ones will come to a place of having only peace in your hearts as you remember her.

I taught theater history at Pepperdine for one semester about 15 years ago. I had a great experience with terrific students (who repeatedly assured me that "the theatre students aren't like the others").

Faculty members who smoked had to hide in the bushes to do so because smoking in front of students was considered a "bad influence". A theater professor was put on "probation" and banned from directing student productions for a period of time because he had used Madonna's "pointy bra" look in a production of Evita. According to my students, the classics were reinterpreted in English classes so that any suggestion of extramarital sex, for example, was explained as something else.

On the other hand, while I was there a student was caught stealing and fencing computer equipment from his fellow students in his dorm. He was at first suspended, but when his wealthy father complained, the student was reinstated and allowed to graduate on schedule. To my knowledge, no criminal charges were ever filed.

This isn't to indict the entire Pepperdine community. As I said, I had terrific students who were thrilled to have a class where no subject was taboo. And the faculty members I met were highly qualified and a pleasure to know.

But it's a strange (and beautiful) place up on that hill...

Congratulations Steve! She is beautiful! I have a granddaughter who is one, named Meeyah. (I think my daughter and son-in-law are "hooked on Phonics")

The case is being closed by LASD. The most immediate source of answers was kept secret the entire time and he has chosen to not come forward to speak with my family.

His FB page indicates he was/is in Mexico City. His last txt to Katie indicates a third party was present and implied concern for Katie. He never reached out after that odd txt sent at a time after her death but before news of her death broke. No third party has been indicated in the investigation.

I believe firmly his last txt was a cover and I'm not convinced his ruse during the 3-4 month period since Katie died would be required if Katie died of an accidental heroin OD.

A number of questions remain regarding the truth of what happened, the immediate source for those answers was Chris Benton.

I must say, I would have been surprised HAD the LA Police Dept. actually followed through to the end. Or perhaps the D.A. who makes that decision which to truly investigate thoroughly and which to close the book on.

Well, at least to my way of thinking, the real justice will be the karma, and his own conscience.

Then, it won't be pretty either.......:(

Oh Steve, congrats on your new baby girl, she's just beautiful!

Ima

http://malibusurfsidenews.com/stories/201208/201208230006.html
Coroner's Final Report Attributes Katie Wilkins' Death to Heroin Overdose But Says Classification Remains Undetermined
According to the Los Angeles County Department of Coroner's autopsy report on the death of Katherine Jessie Wilkins, who died April 28 at the Malibu family home she had moved back into a year ago, the official cause of death was acute morphine (heroin) intoxication.
However, according to a copy of the document obtained by the Malibu Surfside News that is still to be officially released, the coroner's department did not rule on the classification or context of the death of the 25-year-old everyone called Katie, which remains undetermined.

Steve, Wondering if you feel somewhat hopeful after Chris Benton's arrest today? I can't imagine even a fancy, high-profile lawyer can get him out of this now. What about a plea for a lesser prison sentence if he signs a sworn statement about his role in Katie's death so your family can gain some sort of peace.

It will be interesting to see what the Board's response will be as it cannot be ignored that the President's son, an ex-felon, drug addict, was living on campus with a loaded weapon and ammunition (although we don't know yet how long the gun and ammo were in his possession.)

I am hopeful that today's incident will lead to answers your family deserves and justice for Katie.

Steve, Wondering if you feel somewhat hopeful after Chris Benton's arrest today? I can't imagine even a fancy, high-profile lawyer can get him out of this now. What about a plea for a lesser prison sentence if he signs a sworn statement about his role in Katie's death so your family can gain some sort of peace.

It will be interesting to see what the Board's response will be as it cannot be ignored that the President's son, an ex-felon, drug addict, was living on campus with a loaded weapon and ammunition (although we don't know yet how long the gun and ammo were in his possession.)

I am hopeful that today's incident will lead to answers your family deserves and justice for Katie.

WHAT?????????? I didn't hear about this arrest and I live a few miles down the road. Maybe it will hit the local late night news.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back