CA CA - O.C.Itzcoatl Ocampo arrested for deaths of homeless men

Police chief confident serial killer arrested

Bulletin:
Anaheim Police Chief John Welter at this afternoon's press conference: "After fully investigating this case, we are extremely confident that we have the man responsible for the four murders of homeless men in Orange County."

The Orange County District Attorney's office will be asked to file four murder charges on Tuesday against 23-year-old Itzcoatl Ocampo on Yorba Linda.
Police declined to provide details of the investigation or the motive.

full article at link ................http://www.ocregister.com/news/homeless-335673-police-friday.html

Well I pray go God they have the killer in custody. It's been quite awhile now, and LA and OC have the best cops around. I was starting to get really frustrated that they hadn't caught him by now -- comparing this to say Richard Ramirez and many other high profile LA/OC cases in many years past. Our technology has advanced so much since then! As hard as it is to say I was beginning to think they thought "oh well, it's just homeless guys". Trust me, I know I shouldn't think that way.

I'm gonna keep the faith they have the right guy in custody!

Mel (formerly from the OC).

He is young, no reported criminal history. He lives with his mom, he his mom and his bro and his sis moved in with an uncle about 6 months ago.

Wonder where they were living 6 months ago before they moved in with the uncle? Was he employed?

I'm wondering if they were perhaps homeless at some point? Was there maybe an altercation between a homeless man and either the sis or the mom at some point?

I've been following this carefully in the news. I live In Anaheim, right near the border of Fullerton, Brea, Placentia. I am so happy this guy has been caught.

The homeless population around here is pretty peaceful and everyone seems to look after each other. I'm so glad people ran after the suspect. Brave and wonderful.

All these deaths coming so soon after the Kelly Thomas murder has cast such a pall over our area.

Well I pray go God they have the killer in custody. It's been quite awhile now, and LA and OC have the best cops around. I was starting to get really frustrated that they hadn't caught him by now -- comparing this to say Richard Ramirez and many other high profile LA/OC cases in many years past. Our technology has advanced so much since then! As hard as it is to say I was beginning to think they thought "oh well, it's just homeless guys". Trust me, I know I shouldn't think that way.

I'm gonna keep the faith they have the right guy in custody!

Mel (formerly from the OC).

I believe they do have the killer. And yes, it took awhile to catch Ramirez but it was citizens who got him and it looks like the same thing happened here.

This guy is so scary. People witnessed this murder! I mean, he was so brazen. And then they chased him until the police caught up. Really incredible. Thank God they got involved.

Itzcoatl Ocampo, of Yorba Linda, was seen running and shedding clothes Friday night after a transient was stabbed to death behind a Carl's Jr. restaurant near La Palma Avenue and Imperial Highway.

http://www.ocregister.com/news/police-335672-garcia-death.html

I'm anxious to see what the motivation for the killings are.

It's crazy. What possible motivation could there be? The anger involved in stabbing some helpless, sleeping person to death is incredible. And he must have been trolling for them, just out hunting poor homeless people trying to find an out of the way place to sleep. I cannot imagine why.

Poor men.

I note that Ocampo may have been a marine. I wonder if he'll say he has some kind of PTSD. Maybe he went to war and decided he liked killing.

It's been so creepy around here. Just looking around at cars, wondering if the creep is nearby. We've all been talking about it for days. I'm proud of my county for stepping up and coming together to get this wacko.

I'm interested in the motivation. And IMO I think there is a possible clue there in that Ocampo, his mother, bro and sis all moved into the uncle's rental property about 6 months ago. That is a lot of people.

Why the move? Where were they living before the move? Were they ever homeless? IF they were homeless at some point, was a problem with another homeless man in the age range of the victims (maybe someone who wasn't caught? Or a crime that wasn't reported?)

When was the first murder? Are there any pictures of the victims?

I'm interested in the motivation. And IMO I think there is a possible clue there in that Ocampo, his mother, bro and sis all moved into the uncle's rental property about 6 months ago. That is a lot of people.

Why the move? Where were they living before the move? Were they ever homeless? IF they were homeless at some point, was a problem with another homeless man in the age range of the victims (maybe someone who wasn't caught? Or a crime that wasn't reported?)

When was the first murder? Are there any pictures of the victims?

I can't help but wonder what the motive is, too. Maybe past experiences with homeless people, or projection of self-hate if he was homeless at one time.
I hope he doen't pull the PTSD card on this one!!!!:furious:

I saw something about this earlier today, a comment by an anonymous poster in an article. Didn't say anything because at that point, it was considered a rumor.

fran

Suspect in O.C. killings of homeless men is an Iraq war veteran

Former Marine Itzcoatl Ocampo, 23, of Yorba Linda appeared deeply troubled when he returned home and for a year had been telling relatives that he was seeing and hearing things, an uncle says.

full article at link ................... http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-homeless-killings-20120115,0,5541926.story

67387264.jpg

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-homeless-killings-20120115,0,5541926.story

Victim John Berry in the photo.

I saw something about this earlier today, a comment by an anonymous poster in an article. Didn't say anything because at that point, it was considered a rumor.

fran

Suspect in O.C. killings of homeless men is an Iraq war veteran

Former Marine Itzcoatl Ocampo, 23, of Yorba Linda appeared deeply troubled when he returned home and for a year had been telling relatives that he was seeing and hearing things, an uncle says.

full article at link ................... http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-homeless-killings-20120115,0,5541926.story

This article makes it sound like maybe he started having trouble overseas. And like he may have been shipped back home because of that. What I wonder about is was he under any treatment? Because if it is true that he began having problems in Iraq and was shipped back home because of that, then it was known he was having problems. He would have been entitled to medical care. He would have had access to meds.

His father is homeless. Might have something to do with the motive?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...erial-killer-war-veteran-father-homeless.html
Refugio Ocampo, who said he was educated as a lawyer in Mexico, immigrated with his wife and Itzcoatl in 1988 and became a U.S. citizen.

He described building a successful life in which he became a warehouse manager and bought a home in Yorba Linda. In the past few years he lost his job, ran out of savings and lost his house.

His son entered the Marine Corps right out of high school in 2006 instead of going to college as his father had hoped. Itzcoatl Ocampo was discharged in 2010 and returned home to find his family in disarray, the father said.
Refugio Ocampo and his youngest son, Mixcoatl, 17, both described a physical condition Itzcoatl suffered in which his hands shook and he suffered headaches. Medical treatments helped until he started drinking heavily, both said

He started drinking like crazy, too much, way too much,' the father said.
A neighbour who is a Vietnam veteran and the father both tried to push Itzcoatl to get treatment at a Veterans hospital, but he refused. Refugio Ocampo said he wanted his son to get psychological treatment as well.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ar-veteran-father-homeless.html#ixzz1jc7ioSTa

I heard on the radio this morning that the suspect's father said his son showed him a newspaper article about one of the early murders, saying, "See what could happen to you, if you're homeless?".

I've also heard (KFI AM reports) that the suspect had reported "seeing things and hearing things that were not there", according to a cousin.

Very sad. I'll continue to pray for peace, for all who have been touched by these terrible crimes.

I heard on the radio this morning that the suspect's father said his son showed him a newspaper article about one of the early murders, saying, "See what could happen to you, if you're homeless?".

I've also heard (KFI AM reports) that the suspect had reported "seeing things and hearing things that were not there", according to a cousin.

Very sad. I'll continue to pray for peace, for all who have been touched by these terrible crimes.

I heard that this morning too. I was driving back home and I sat in my car to listen to the story. Sad. I think it is important that his Dad was homeless. I also read upstream that his Dad had been a lawyer in Mexico. But things fell apart in the US for him and he lost his home and became homeless. So that must have been tough for the kids. The suspect comes home from the war and finds his dad living in his truck and his mom and little brother living with family. I am not condoning his violent actions,just trying to understand him.

FWIW and MANY may not agree with me. But this is one case I do NOT believe they should ask for the death penalty. After you read the entire article, you MAY agree with me.

Very sad and disturbing case, all around. :(

JMHO
fran

http://www.ocregister.com/news/ocampo-335839-police-father.html

Suspect in homeless serial killings held in isolation

The man who police say stabbed four homeless men to death in a serial-killing spree in north Orange County was being held Monday in isolation at the central jail in Santa Ana for medical reasons.

Itzcoatl Ocampo, 23, a former Marine who served a 2008 tour in Iraq, is scheduled to appear in court on Wednesday and is expected to face murder charges. Police say they are confident he is the killer whose attacks sent chills through the homeless community and prompted a regional manhunt.

Sheriff's officials would not release details of the medical condition that put Ocampo in isolation at the jail, citing privacy laws.

full article at link ....... http://www.ocregister.com/news/ocampo-335839-police-father.html

Father Of Suspected Homeless Serial Killer Says His Son Is Innocent
January 16, 2012 7:55 PM

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012...eless-serial-killer-says-his-son-is-innocent/

>>>snip

...Ocampo’s father, Refugio Ocampo, spoke to KCAL9’s Melissa Maynarich outside the Orange County jail where he attempted to see his son for the first time since his arrest Friday night.

“He is innocent. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time,” said Refugio. “I feel that the authorities basically have been criminalizing and…making my son to look like he is a criminal, that he is a monster...”

(article continues)

<<<snip

Not "guilty but insane" innocent, but "SODDI" innocent. Dad has done a complete 180 since this morning's local radio reports.

Here's one for the "only in California" file:

Witnesses describe suspect's ‘huge' knife
Published: Jan. 14, 2012 Updated: Jan. 16, 2012 3:11 p.m.

>>>snip

...Hearing the police activity, nearby resident Maxwell Smart and a friend drove over to the parking lot shortly after the stabbing, before investigators closed off the area...

(article continues)

<<<snip

Here's one for the "only in California" file:

Witnesses describe suspect's ‘huge' knife
Published: Jan. 14, 2012 Updated: Jan. 16, 2012 3:11 p.m.

>>>snip

...Hearing the police activity, nearby resident Maxwell Smart and a friend drove over to the parking lot shortly after the stabbing, before investigators closed off the area...

(article continues)

<<<snip

I think this is the link you were looking for?
http://www.ocregister.com/news/smart-335675-nearby-police.html

Father Of Suspected Homeless Serial Killer Says His Son Is Innocent
January 16, 2012 7:55 PM

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012...eless-serial-killer-says-his-son-is-innocent/

>>>snip

...Ocampo’s father, Refugio Ocampo, spoke to KCAL9’s Melissa Maynarich outside the Orange County jail where he attempted to see his son for the first time since his arrest Friday night.

“He is innocent. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time,” said Refugio. “I feel that the authorities basically have been criminalizing and…making my son to look like he is a criminal, that he is a monster...”

(article continues)

<<<snip

Not "guilty but insane" innocent, but "SODDI" innocent. Dad has done a complete 180 since this morning's local radio reports.

I think a lot of that is the grief talking. Bouncing from he is sick, to he couldn't do that would be pretty much to be expected I would think.

What I do find notable is that him being held in isolation due to a "medical" condition and visits from his parents were denied, then a visit from his attorney was denied. The attorney visit being denied is huge. That just doesn't happen.

I am guessing, and this is entirely a guess that maybe there is some physical restraints needed.

Thank you, it was! Doh.

Another homeless man stabbed, yesterday; this time in Riverside (35 miles from Anaheim):

http://www.pe.com/local-news/rivers...e-homeless-man-stabbed-at-riverside-plaza.ece

>>>snip

A 51-year-old homeless man was stabbed early this morning on Central Avenue along the south edge of Riverside Plaza, police say...

(article continues)

<<<snip

Not much information in this article, but apparently this victim survived.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021
Back