Found Deceased NY - Avonte Oquendo, 14, Long Island City, 4 Oct 2013

We have had so many missing autistic kids the last 2 months or so, and none (if I recall) have had happy endings. In fact, I think they all ending up drowning.

I have such a heart for special needs kids, particularly those with autism.

The daughter of one of my dear friends is severely autistic. They have a special gps type thing that she has on her at all times. They usually have it clipped to a belt on her pants or belt loop, or if she's in a dress, typically then to her tennis shoe. Not only is a gps device, but you can activate it so you can hear what's happening around, which may provide additional helpful information (who may have them, more of what's going on, etc.)

I wish more families of kids with special needs - those prone to wander, like many autistic kids, those who are non-verbal, etc. would do the same. Any extra resources, especially if you have a child who may not be able to help themselves by not knowing their address or something (or not being able to communicate it, whatever).

We have had so many missing autistic kids the last 2 months or so, and none (if I recall) have had happy endings. In fact, I think they all ending up drowning.

I have such a heart for special needs kids, particularly those with autism.

The daughter of one of my dear friends is severely autistic. They have a special gps type thing that she has on her at all times. They usually have it clipped to a belt on her pants or belt loop, or if she's in a dress, typically then to her tennis shoe. Not only is a gps device, but you can activate it so you can hear what's happening around, which may provide additional helpful information (who may have them, more of what's going on, etc.)

I wish more families of kids with special needs - those prone to wander, like many autistic kids, those who are non-verbal, etc. would do the same. Any extra resources, especially if you have a child who may not be able to help themselves by not knowing their address or something (or not being able to communicate it, whatever).

The gps monitor is a great idea! Especially having a microphone on it! If only he had had one. Yes, I am fearful of the water aspect. I can't map the school with the address given. I wonder how close water is to the school? And all the traffic!

I wish more ws'ers would stop in, they have such great ideas. I like the gps idea but first we have to get him back

Heartbreaking. I live a few miles away and have been spreading the word.

A few bits of info about the neighborhood:
-I can't find any hits for that school on Google, but there's a brand-new high school on that site for media. Center Boulevard School is most likely some kind of charter school within the building. It's a brand-new campus that just opened with fanfare a month or two ago.
-Google Maps shows a desolate area along the waterfront. That's out of date. Hunters Point South Park opened a few weeks ago and is fairly well-populated.
-There are a lot of train tracks near there, but I'm not sure how accessible they are.
-The water is mostly fenced off, but there are probably some areas where someone could get through (at the East River Ferry landing, for example).
-The security video shows him running north alongside Hunters Point South Park. Just north of there is a heavily populated condo area and The Gantries, which is another park continuous with Hunters Point South Park.

His mama looks like she is being relentless in the search, which is brilliant!

This just breaks my heart. My son has autism and is a wanderer. Absolutely the school dropped the ball! Why was he alone to run outside the building and why wasn't an adult chasing him? I would be livid if I were his mother.

-I can't find any hits for that school on Google, but there's a brand-new high school on that site for media. Center Boulevard School is most likely some kind of charter school within the building. It's a brand-new campus that just opened with fanfare a month or two ago.
-Google Maps shows a desolate area along the waterfront. That's out of date. Hunters Point South Park opened a few weeks ago and is fairly well-populated.
-There are a lot of train tracks near there, but I'm not sure how accessible they are.
-The water is mostly fenced off, but there are probably some areas where someone could get through (at the East River Ferry landing, for example).
-The security video shows him running north alongside Hunters Point South Park. Just north of there is a heavily populated condo area and The Gantries, which is another park continuous with Hunters Point South Park.

Bolded by me. This really worries me. Many autistic individuals are attracted to water, and will try to enter it. I hope they are searching the waterfront closely.

His family must be devastated :(

The school has some explaining to do that's for sure!

Come home safe young man *advertiser censored*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

God bless the boy, and hold his mom/family in positive spirit.
may he be found very soon.
Heart brake :(

Oh no, not another autistic child missing. :( Hoping he is found soon.

On the donation website his brother mentions two possible sighting last night/evening. (11 and 14 hours ago). I know we can't post a link, but is it ok to post the locations mentioned?

My computer is acting up and not allowing me to look at maps, I'd love to see how those locations relate to the school he ran away from. (Has anybody else been having problems loading Google maps the last few days?)

It is also saying that he was wearing a blue hoodie when spotted.

Oh no, not another autistic child missing. :( Hoping he is found soon.

On the donation website his brother mentions two possible sighting last night/evening. (11 and 14 hours ago). I know we can't post a link, but is it ok to post the locations mentioned?

My computer is acting up and not allowing me to look at maps, I'd love to see how those locations relate to the school he ran away from. (Has anybody else been having problems loading Google maps the last few days?)

It is also saying that he was wearing a blue hoodie when spotted.

Here's what I have been able to put together...

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msi...&ll=40.713175,-73.859711&spn=0.172534,0.31414

Thank you for answering all my questions! Just starting to read this morning here. I want to explore the links you gave.

Thank you Hollye for the great map. So close to the East River. They are actively searching for this child. LE is searching the river per abc news.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/html5/video?id=9277855&pid=9276035&section=news/local/new_york

I forgot to say there is a tornado warning in this area till 5pm est.

That river right there...this is not looking good and a tornado warning!

Once I was to supervise an autistic boy at the kiddie pool. I was holding his hand on our way to the bathroom. He yanked his arm away and jumped into the deep end of the big pool. It happened in just a split second. I jumped in and got him out ok but when I think about Avonte... =( His mother says they have no fear. Which is exactly what I experienced at the pool.)

Did the family start a FB page for him?

Just saw ABC News and LE is looking at all surveillance cameras in the area. They talked to employee at Waterfront Crabhouse which is one block from the school, she said LE is going back thru the tape to see if they see anything. I just hope it wasn"t today.

I keep on thinking about 7yo Michael Kingsbury, found a few feet from his home in a abandon car, deceased.

The weather is getting bad now, very strong winds and its been raining hard. I"m sick over this poor child missing for so long.

:please:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back