Brooke Bennett, 12 years old Randolph VT #22

Just found this on our County court calendar

Friday, Aug. 29 Jacques vs. Jacques
at 2:00 PM in Room cmc 119-7-08 Oedm/Divorce
Case Managers Conference
Atty(s): Todd C. Steadman

So, it looks as though Denise is not standing by her man.

On the NY link, do you suppose this had anything to do with Brooke's trip to NY?

I hope I'm wrong too, but I was fairly certain they were only waiting for the autopsy report before charging him with murder and that since her body was found in good enough shape for an open casket it would be pretty easy to determine COD...and figure out who killed her. I figured that between Gagnon, juvenile 2 and electronic/forensic records they could come pretty close to reconstructing Brooke's last hours and who did what...solve the mystery, figure out if AR left when she said or not, get the time of death fairly close and work from there...

I am having trouble believing AR is really back on myspace...so, on this, I am going to ignore it and believe that its a fake entry, because IF this is true, if she is really back on myspace posting about her trip to Maine...dear god in heaven, its only a matter of time before she gets mixed up in another crime...as it would to me show ZERO remorse, that she has been so victimized that now she simply doesn't have any compassion left in her soul...and if that is the case then she's dangerous, whether or not its her fault, a person with no capacity for remorse, reflection or compassion is dangerous.

Medea, they've been so quiet about this case as soon as they finished releasing the affidavits & email excerpts..... made me think they had their reasons for releasing the tidbits they did & that there must be TONS of info we can't even imagine.

I guess I just don't understand why they would want to 'rush' to charge MJ with murder.... as long as they file charges IN TIME.

As soon as they file, the clock starts ticking & MJ can demand a speedy trial... forcing the prosecution to work under time limits. That seems like a disadvantage I'd want to avoid IF I can.

Good point.... maybe that MySpace post is fake.... it DOES sound eerily similar to Brooke's supposed post about looking forward to going to Texas. Kind of hard to even imagine why that account has not been deleted though.

I wish someone from the community would let us know IF AR is still around town or whether she's away in treatment.

I hope I'm wrong too, but I was fairly certain they were only waiting for the autopsy report before charging him with murder and that since her body was found in good enough shape for an open casket it would be pretty easy to determine COD...and figure out who killed her.

IMO, I think they know MJ killed her and have proof of it... I think maybe they are looking to prove that her murder was premeditated. We already know the kidnapping was premeditated, but we haven't seen anything released telling us that the murder was. I truly doubt he planned to let her go, my gut tells me he had no intention of keeping her alive, and the plan was to do it the same day she came up missing. JMO.
I don't think MJ will get out of this one, I think they want to make darn sure there is absolutely no way he will ever see the light of day again... At least, I hope. IMO.

"I wish someone from the community would let us know IF AR is still around town or whether she's away in treatment."

I have asked around town but have not been able to get any info.

I'm not very familiar with the Adam Walsh Act, but normally, if a person dies during the commission of another felony such as rape or murder, they are automatically going to be eligible for the top count of premeditated murder...whether they premeditated it or not.

"I wish someone from the community would let us know IF AR is still around town or whether she's away in treatment."

I have asked around town but have not been able to get any info.

Thanks, bdmama. :)

If you hear anything, please let us know.

I DO hope this girl is getting the help she needs so she has a chance at living a somewhat normal life in the future.

I'm not very familiar with the Adam Walsh Act, but normally, if a person dies during the commission of another felony such as rape or murder, they are automatically going to be eligible for the top count of premeditated murder...whether they premeditated it or not.

IIRC, the problem with the Adam Walsh Act is the portion that would allow LE to add people to the list RETROACTIVELY & also there's question about how to handle the low level offenders.

Listen we ALL want to protect children BUT we also have to make sure we don't create a SO list that doesn't distinguish between dangerous offenders & people who are accused of things like sexual harassment in the office/schools or teens who having sex with other teens & can find themselves on the SO list.

As we can see, LE & society can't even begin to deal with the SO's already on the list.... we won't be any safer just because we continue to add more & more people to these lists.....

we need to make changes that address how we DEAL with these people.

Ah, see I thought it was just about the kidnapping leading to death, didn't realize it had provisions for overall treatment of sex offenders.

You are totally preaching to the choir or the need to differentiate DANGEROUS PREDATORS from some guy that grabs a girl's behind, consenting sexual relationships between teens/adults and even date rape...I am totally, totally for coming down hard on high school and college acquaintance rapes, but however awful for the victims, these guys are simply not in the same class as the Michael Jacques of the world, though I would still list them on the registry in most cases.

I am following a case in Oregan where a serial stranger rapist is up for parole!!! The judge gave him 30 years, the nice parole board chopped that in half and then, the parole board voted to parole him, even though all the experts say he is at high risk of re offending. I mean WTF? He was only prosecuted for one of his rapes because back in the day the statute of limitations had run out on all but one...and since his upcoming parole has made headlines several women who he raped came forward that didn't come forward before...You know, what does it take? Serial Stranger Rapist At High Risk Of Reoffending...parole should not even be on the table.

Ah, see I thought it was just about the kidnapping leading to death, didn't realize it had provisions for overall treatment of sex offenders.

You are totally preaching to the choir or the need to differentiate DANGEROUS PREDATORS from some guy that grabs a girl's behind, consenting sexual relationships between teens/adults and even date rape...I am totally, totally for coming down hard on high school and college acquaintance rapes, but however awful for the victims, these guys are simply not in the same class as the Michael Jacques of the world, though I would still list them on the registry in most cases.

I am following a case in Oregan where a serial stranger rapist is up for parole!!! The judge gave him 30 years, the nice parole board chopped that in half and then, the parole board voted to parole him, even though all the experts say he is at high risk of re offending. I mean WTF? He was only prosecuted for one of his rapes because back in the day the statute of limitations had run out on all but one...and since his upcoming parole has made headlines several women who he raped came forward that didn't come forward before...You know, what does it take? Serial Stranger Rapist At High Risk Of Reoffending...parole should not even be on the table.

Oh, I also believe those more 'minor' sex crimes are still sex crimes.... BUT those are the treatable offenders.

The real trouble with being TOO BROAD with the concept of a SO list is that eventually society will start to feel too many people are being unfairly persecuted & they'll be forced to reevaluate the whole system again.... loosening the standards once again.

I always wonder WHY can't our politicians write bills that are straight forward & to the point? Why tack on endless provisions that can kill the entire bill?

Bills that try to do TOO much are a waste of taxpayer money, time & LIVES.

IMO, it's all political GAMES & means we are allowing our politicians to avoid doing a job in the most efficient way possible.

Sometimes it's hard not to wish these violent parolees would just head straight for the houses where the parole board members live.... that seems to be the only way they'll ever open their eyes to reality. Crazy world. :furious:

Bennett case: Prosecutors get more time

August 1, 2008

MONTPELIER— A magistrate agreed Thursday to give prosecutors more time to make their case against two men facing charges in the case of 12-year-old slaying victim Brooke Bennett, saying the interests of justice outweigh the suspects' right to a speedy trial.

-snip-

" ... the court finds that the ends of justice are best served by granting the motion because an enlargement of the period within which an indictment must be filed outweighs the interests of the public and the defendant in a speedy trial," Neidermeier wrote in his order Thursday.

Complete article:
http://www.timesargus.com:80/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080801/NEWS02/808010365/1003/NEWS02

-Catfish

there was article in our local paper this week about people who won 4 red sox vs yankees tickets in a fundraising auction at the local high school. These people went to the game and when they tried to get in and use their tickets, they were told that the tickets were counterfeit. They traced the tickets and found out they were donated by MICHEAL JACQUES!!!! He donated them 2 months prior to Brookes Disappearance and told the school officials he got them from his employer as a bonus. The school contacted his employer and said they never gave anybody tickets to any game. I will try to find a link to it.....

there was article in our local paper this week about people who won 4 red sox vs yankees tickets in a fundraising auction at the local high school. These people went to the game and when they tried to get in and use their tickets, they were told that the tickets were counterfeit. They traced the tickets and found out they were donated by MICHEAL JACQUES!!!! He donated them 2 months prior to Brookes Disappearance and told the school officials he got them from his employer as a bonus. The school contacted his employer and said they never gave anybody tickets to any game.
I will try to find a link to it.....
That would be great bdmama!

there was article in our local paper this week about people who won 4 red sox vs yankees tickets in a fundraising auction at the local high school. These people went to the game and when they tried to get in and use their tickets, they were told that the tickets were counterfeit. They traced the tickets and found out they were donated by MICHEAL JACQUES!!!! He donated them 2 months prior to Brookes Disappearance and told the school officials he got them from his employer as a bonus. The school contacted his employer and said they never gave anybody tickets to any game. I will try to find a link to it.....

Wow! That's really strange.... I can't even begin to figure out why he would donate counterfeit tickets OR why he would lie about where he got them.

Makes you wonder if handing out tickets to local kids was one of his lures. Maybe this is just the first time an alert ticket taker realized the tickets were bad? Ick.

Honestly, I don't get it when people refer to this case as a warning against Myspace. Myspace had nothing to do with what happened to Brooke, her uncle who lived in the same town [allegedly] kidnapped and murdered her, then he tried unsuccessfully to blame the incident on a fictional Myspace person. So to spread fear about Myspace puts people's fears in the wrong location. Of course parents should monitor what kids are doing on the internet, but the greater harm in terms of sexual predators is an adult your child probably already knows, a relative, a close friend, a neighbor.

The fact that AR seems to be living her hunky dory life is sort of chilling to me. If half of what is in the affidavits is true, she will need a lot of counselling to live a "normal" life. I hope she is getting it.

Awwwww.... "isn't that special?" :furious::furious:

If it were me.... considering how MySpace played into this sick kidnapping & torture.... just the mention of the name MySpace would turn my stomach... I'd never want to see the site again!

Isn't this girl getting ANY psychiatric help????

This is CRAZY!!!!!!!!

ITA Mercibeaucoup. Did you get inside info on how AR is doing, or is it because of a Myspace page that is believed to be hers? Can anyone confirm if that really is her page? I haven't seen it myself.

Honestly, I don't get it when people refer to this case as a warning against Myspace. Myspace had nothing to do with what happened to Brooke, her uncle who lived in the same town [allegedly] kidnapped and murdered her, then he tried unsuccessfully to blame the incident on a fictional Myspace person. So to spread fear about Myspace puts people's fears in the wrong location. Of course parents should monitor what kids are doing on the internet, but the greater harm in terms of sexual predators is an adult your child probably already knows, a relative, a close friend, a neighbor.

The fact that AR seems to be living her hunky dory life is sort of chilling to me. If half of what is in the affidavits is true, she will need a lot of counselling to live a "normal" life. I hope she is getting it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flintinsects
Back