LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #29

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the person responsible for Mickey's disappearance would have spilled the beans by now. Self preservation and all that. MOO- if it were an accident and they "freaked out", took her and the bike and did whatever- they aren't the type to tell their friends what happened. They couldn't/wouldn't call 911 for help when a true accident occurred? That's what's mind boggling to me. I am sure that if I were to accidentally injure or kill a
Person, I would be scared to death of jail and the process I would be facing but I don't think my own fear would stop me from attempting to get the person help. I really never bought the accident/cover-up theory. But if that was the case, I don't see the person going through such great lengths to conceal their crime just to turn around and tell a buddy or a girlfriend. I mean, you don't know how people would react to that type of news. If my friends, family members, or spouse ever "confided" info like that to me, I would report it. Especially when I see Nancy Shunick on the news with tears in her eyes. I want Mickey to be found- whatever condition she may be in- so her family can get the answers they deserve.

The construction site that I referred to in reply to a poster seeing birds circling is also right near a lake. Have these types of lakes been looked at?? Google map w lake dr and you'll see what I mean.

Well, until any of the petite blonde young women on the list are found, I guess no one can begin to make a presumption that any of them are dead.

I know, right? Your observation, someone's recent observation about the PERP living in BR, and the comments about BR having sex trafficking issues makes the possibility of this being a sex trade incident seem questionable. I know some people think its far fetched. I would have too if it wasn't for a movie based on a true story I watched recently. I had no idea that things like that went on in the US. Actually, that's the typical generalization. Most people think its only in foreign countries. But, actually they take the girls to foreign countries so they can't be identified as easily. Houston is the US city that has had the most activity in that industry. It's a billion dollar industry that involved officials and LE (at least in the country where the incidents took place and the movie was based off of).

I know, right? Your observation, someone's recent observation about the PERP living in BR, and the comments about BR having sex trafficking issues makes the possibility of this being a sex trade incident seem questionable. I know some people think its far fetched. I would have too if it wasn't for a movie based on a true story I watched recently. I had no idea that things like that went on in the US. Actually, that's the typical generalization. Most people think its only in foreign countries. But, actually they take the girls to foreign countries so they can't be identified as easily. Houston is the US city that has had the most activity in that industry. It's a billion dollar industry that involved officials and LE (at least in the country where the incidents took place and the movie was based off of).

Interesting that Houston is a major city where this is a problem. So is Baton Rouge. Both are quickly accessible via I-10. I have seen others say its impossible that Mickey was taken for human trafficking because she doesn't fit the runaway/lifestyle choice of most womn who end up involved in trafficking.. However, for me, it's still on the table. She could have been mistaken for the normal victim type if it were a spur of the moment grab and go. Maybe they didn't expect her family an the Lafayette community to react the way they did.
To continue this thread of thought- why do those who disagree with the human trafficking angle think it's completely not possible?

I realized yesterday that I had assumed MS & BW went to Taco Bell on Johnston & St. Mary by campus but they did not.
Anyone sitting or standing on Congress St near St Antoine could have seen them bike back to Ryan St, leave in the car for TB on Congress, return and see Mickey leave alone on her bike.

~~~

I thought this as well. Hey isnt the one by Campus closer? Why go all the way down to Congress? Am I wrong?

LA

Google map it. From Brettly's to Taco Bell on
Johnston (campus) is 1.1 miles/4 minutes, and Taco Bell on Congress is 1.7 miles/6 minutes. Not much of a difference.

Is there a link that says they went to the TB on Congress? I thought that came up very early on, and it was determined that they went through the TB drive-thru by campus.

Here's a hypothetical:

What if all of the petite blonde young women (who have never been found)
were captured by different abductors, but held in the same place, somewhere, for some time, and everyone gave up on finding them because of disbelief that this could happen?

I guess I choose to believe that they are still alive, until proven otherwise.

I also choose to believe that missing people are alive, until it is proven otherwise.

ok so since we've had no more info given to help in this case as all I've been sleuthing other possible connections to Mickey's life.

Through some ramdom stuff I came across two images that as soon as I saw them I thought they were Mickey. If so, it could be other possible people and avenues to connect her to and sleuth. One image is on someone's facebook page (the photo is public) and I'm not sure if I'm ok with posting that image. However, here is a link to the second image (both images are related to the function mentioned on this website link below):

http://www.righteousfur.com/nutria-palooza-lafayette-115-tickets-sale-now.html

Look at the blond in the header image...

Where am I going with this? I'm not quite sure at this moment, except that maybe someone out there will either be able to confirm or deny this is her and I can move on from this idea I've been baking up in my brain to connect her to other people.

Interesting that Houston is a major city where this is a problem. So is Baton Rouge. Both are quickly accessible via I-10. I have seen others say its impossible that Mickey was taken for human trafficking because she doesn't fit the runaway/lifestyle choice of most womn who end up involved in trafficking.. However, for me, it's still on the table. She could have been mistaken for the normal victim type if it were a spur of the moment grab and go. Maybe they didn't expect her family an the Lafayette community to react the way they did.
To continue this thread of thought- why do those who disagree with the human trafficking angle think it's completely not possible?

My middle sis is a former 911 operator/supervisor from New Iberia. The first time we spoke about Mickey she mentioned this immediately.

She believes she was taken to BR and sold, and if this is the case she is far far away.

Let's hope my sis is wrong. That is just way too horrible for me to imagine.

LA

I just don't think a passing stranger would know where the bodies of other victims had been found in the past...I know all about that particular case yet had never heard of Whiskey Bay until this case came up.

I agree with you that us normal people wouldn't necessarily know the particulars of murders/abduction very far away from our general area. However, it is possible that a perp, even from out of town, could have found plenty of info on DTL from the internet rather easily. Or, if the person was a transient worker, could have been around the area during DTL's murders.
I'm not saying she was murdered, but I am saying that we cannot judge this person by what we would know or do, because none of us would abduct someone as he/she did Mickey.

ok so since we've had no more info given to help in this case as all I've been sleuthing other possible connections to Mickey's life.

Through some ramdom stuff I came across two images that as soon as I saw them I thought they were Mickey. If so, it could be other possible people and avenues to connect her to and sleuth. One image is on someone's facebook page (the photo is public) and I'm not sure if I'm ok with posting that image. However, here is a link to the second image (both images are related to the function mentioned on this website link below):

Where am I going with this? I'm not quite sure at this moment, except that maybe someone out there will either be able to confirm or deny this is her and I can move on from this idea I've been baking up in my brain to connect her to other people.
Doesn't look like her to me.

Because of the same reason I didn't - you just don't think it could happen so close to home, it seems like it goes on in Thailand or other post-war countries. My thought is that just how I learned about it - through movies and documentaries - its possible the industry is being looked at a little closer or more girls are learning about it. So, the PERPS have to seek victims in different ways now. Add to the inventory so the billion dollar industry will keep growing.

Let's go back to a few things which transpired early in this case:

-When the reward was initially raised to its current, there was an announcement -- made in a rather stern tone -- that this was the final reward amount. It almost seemed to me as though someone had some sort of insight that MS was being held.

-The search at WB raises all sorts of questions, in hindsight. First, it seemed to come to an abrupt ending. Second, leadership from a variety of sources (including, as noted here, a C-level executive with Lafayette Consolidated Government) were on the scene for a follow-up visit where divers -- acting on intelligence they received from sonar surveys -- searched for what they thought was the body of MS; etc.

-The initial involvement of the FBI;

I'm thinking there's a feeling amongst the LE community (including the Feds) that something considerably large is afoot, here...something larger than they've let on to.

Thoughts?

For what it's worth, I live in NJ and and am originally from FL and have never heard of Whiskey Bay until now.

But you're not a person with an evil mind who studies this type of thing.

I am narrowing my opinion that it is someone local, likely drunk, on their normal drive home after leaving a bar. For whatever reason, likely the alcohol, they accidentally hit her and flipped out. Maybe they have prior DUI convictions, maybe a family...maybe just selfish. But they knew if they reported it they would end up going to prison so they made a terrible decision by taking her and the bike.

Once they had her in the car it was too late to change their mind even if they wanted to. They likely disposed of the bike conveniently...maybe somewhere they have been before so that they wouldn't seem out of place. It's difficult to imagine someone random would go the extra step to end a life but they may have been desperate to not get caught and not at full capacity.

If it were an accident then I would expect there to be some damage based on the fact that the back rim was damaged enough to cause the tire to dislodge. It takes a good hit to bend a rim. It could be as minor as some scratches on the bumber to having the windshield shattered. There likely wasn't much of a crime scene. We know that she had a leather backpack/purse and based on the daytime pic of her, rode with it strapped across her body. When I ride my bike, I don't have anything in my hands...nothing. So the perp would have grabbed a petite person and a bike. You can do that within a minute or two.

People abduct women for sexual reasons usually. It seems difficult to imagine that someone would hit her bike to the extent that she is seriously injured just so they could assault her. She is so small, alone on a bike at 2am...there would be no reason to feel the need to injure her. Even the worst sicko's likely don't want to assault someone that is bleeding. That is just more evidence for LE to find in their vehicle.

I have faith in LE and have a strong suspiscion that they have identified the truck whether or not they were a witness or a suspect. If not then it should happen soon enough. The passenger rear window has some type of sun shade or something else that someone out there is familiar with. Someone out there saw this truck and knew immediately who it belonged to. They could be silent because they are close to an arrest and don't want to jeopardize the investigation. The PI is smart enough to keep that quiet.

If i were the suspect, I would act completely normal. If the damage was noticeable I would fix it myself by stealing the parts so that they couldn't be tracked. I would clean it in some sort of high powered way so that chemicals wouldn't be necessary. I would act oblivious to all of the news reports and if LE or a PI asked, I would admit being in the area because if I weren't guilty then I would have no reason to lie.

There's now way that I could act normal. I'd be a basket case. The guilt must be unimaginable if it was an accident.
Cold hearted killers or kidnappers on the other hand....

Blondes, from what I've read about human trafficking are highly desirable to men in Latin American, Asian, and Middle Eastern countries because they're exotic. These men want quality girls not used up girls.
The only good thing about Mickey being bought for this trade is that she isn't dead and there's a prayer she could come home one day.

I realized yesterday that I had assumed MS & BW went to Taco Bell on Johnston & St. Mary by campus but they did not.
Anyone sitting or standing on Congress St near St Antoine could have seen them bike back to Ryan St, leave in the car for TB on Congress, return and see Mickey leave alone on her bike.

~~~

I thought this as well. Hey isnt the one by Campus closer? Why go all the way down to Congress? Am I wrong?

LA
I thought it quite odd as well when I realized it as Johnston is closer. Perhaps BW thought a straight shot down Congress was easier than heading down to Johnston St.

Nope. Not her. I'm interested in the other picture though

Blondes, from what I've read about human trafficking are highly desirable to men in Latin American, Asian, and Middle Eastern countries because they're exotic. These men want quality girls not used up girls.
The only good thing about Mickey being bought for this trade is that she isn't dead and there's a prayer she could come home one day.

My thoughts exactly! Maybe thats why I think there's some validity to it! The documentary I watched said how girls that are traded are hesitant to go with authorities who try to rescue them because of fear they'll be caught again in the process and/or they didnt know who to trust.

Nope. Not her. I'm interested in the other picture though

The other picture is of the same person on the night of the same event, so if the picture I linked too isn't her, neither is the other picture.

Thanks for you guys giving your opinion. :) Maybe I can stop thinking about it now. :)

I think there is about a .0001% chance that this case is involved with human trafficking...JMO

Wrong place, wrong time, random victim, is my best guess, with someone she knew in some way as second.

Is there a link that says they went to the TB on Congress? I thought that came up very early on, and it was determined that they went through the TB drive-thru by campus.

http://www.katc.com/news/searching-for-mickey-shunick/

May 19, 2012: 12:44 am: Mickey and Wilson left Artmosphere and rode their bikes back to his house on Ryan Street. They then went to Taco Bell on Congress in his car to grab a bite to eat. Video surveillance confirmed this, showing them in the drive through at 1:24 am.

I think there is about a .0001% chance that this case is involved with human trafficking...JMO

Wrong place, wrong time, random victim, is my best guess, with someone she knew in some way as second.

Not saying I think that this was what happened just posting information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks