GUILTY MN - Hunter Klaseus, 8, shot to death, Sibley County, 19 April 2008

LinasK

Verified insider- Mark Dribin case
Reaction score
By DAVID SCHOETZ
May 7, 2008
byline_abcnews.gif

When Minnesota authorities arrived at the scene, they found Anthony Klaseus covered in blood and extremely distraught.
"I just shot my boy," Klaseus said, according to police. "How could I shoot and kill my son? I told him to stay put while I tried to get closer to the turkeys."
On Monday, two weeks later, Sibley County prosecutors charged Klaseus, 39, with second-degree manslaughter in the April 19 homicide of his 8-year-old son.
Adding one more layer of cruelty, Klaseus and his wife had named their only son Hunter.
The boy's death is one of at least three fatalities already reported in this spring's turkey hunting season -- it's a number that often exceeds the total annual U.S. turkey-hunting related fatalities. more at link:http://www.abcnews.go.com/US/Story?id=4796252&page=1

I don't think the father should be charged.

except if you read further down in the article he had alcohol in his system and pot in his car. How this guy could mistake his own son for a turkey is beyond me, but maybe he was trigger-happy.

Possible drinking, smoking weed, no hunting license, hunting on someone else's land... I think a negligence charge is something that should be considered, especially if he was under the influence of drugs or alcohol at the time. The tests will take a while, I guess. :( :mad:

RIP Hunter.

I guess a hunter could answer this, but I thought you were supposed to wear something that would keep you from getting shot...not something that looks like what you want to shoot! Was he using his son as bait for other turkeys? Just asking.

except if you read further down in the article he had alcohol in his system and pot in his car. How this guy could mistake his own son for a turkey is beyond me, but maybe he was trigger-happy.

Hey Linask,
I should have said I disagree with the manslaughter charge . He definitely should be charged with a felony for having alcohol and a gun in his possession. And he should be charged for illegal drug possession too.
I just don't think he intentionally shot his son.

I guess a hunter could answer this, but I thought you were supposed to wear something that would keep you from getting shot...not something that looks like what you want to shoot! Was he using his son as bait for other turkeys? Just asking.

No, turkey hunting calls for camo... turkeys have excellent vision so you don't want to be wearing orange like while deer hunting (gun).

'Bait' for turkeys would be decoys... not expensive (there are ranges of course) but who knows with this guy. I married into a hunting family and I sincerely doubt he would have used his son as a decoy. Turkeys just don't fall for that.
Him saying he told Hunter to stay put so he could get closer to the turkeys is exactly what any hunter would tell their child. DD has gone hunting with hubby (deer, bow) and I know of many more kids having gone hunting with their dad. If they're not hunting from a tree stand they'll eventually try to sneak up on the target and usually tell the kids to stay put. They'd be too noisy or obvious usually which scares off the target.

I think him shooting and killing his son was nothing but a tragic accident. I am annoyed about the apparent presence of the alcohol and pot though.
If it is proven that substance abuse played a role in this then yes he should be charged. Just like with a car accident in which the driver kills someone after drinking and driving. They usually didn't mean to do that, either (hit and kill). Intentions are beside the point in cases of proven substance abuse IMO (except when you're a lawyer or judge and have to decide which kind of punishment, but I think y'all know what I mean lol).

Thanks, JE. I can't help thinking what that little boy's last moments were like. I hope he went fast and didn't know what hit him. :(

All states vary in this, In Pa you must wear at least 150 square inches of blaze orange only when moving. In addition a blaze orange ribbon or bandana must be placed on a tree in the vicinity where a hunter is posted.

All states vary in this, In Pa you must wear at least 150 square inches of blaze orange only when moving. In addition a blaze orange ribbon or bandana must be placed on a tree in the vicinity where a hunter is posted.

Minnesota (where this happened) doesn't, I looked that up yesterday before posting my reply. So he didn't break any rules as far as that goes.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back