Possible Connections

Robyn Ann Pettinato, 14, Missing since July 5, 1975 from Whitefish, MT

Here is a case which caught my attention only recently. This 14 year old girl went missing in 1975. Although there is quite a distance between Montana and Maryland, could there be a connection between this case and others mentioned on this thread?

Note Robyn's age and description which is so close to many of the other missing girls mentioned in other cases.

-------------------------------------------

Robyn Ann Pettinato
Missing since July 5, 1975 from Whitefish, Flathead County, Montana
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: November 12, 1960
Age at Time of Disappearance: 14 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'0"; 100 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. brown hair; blue eyes.

Circumstances of Disappearance

Robyn was last seen in Whitefish, Montana on July 5, 1975.

Not much information is currently available. Newspaper clippings from that time only mention that she was missing and presumed to have run away.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Whitefish Police Department
406-863-2420

Source Information:
Montana Department of Justice
The Doe Network: Case File 2554DFMT

LINK:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2554dfmt.html

----------------------------------------

Another Source and Link:

Missing Person Details

Name: PETTINATO, ROBYN ANN
Date of Birth: 11/12/1960
Race: WHITE
Hair Color: BROWN
Eye Color: BLUE
Height: 5' 0''
Weight: 100 LBS.

Incident Information

Date of Last Contact: 07/05/1975
Age at the time of disappearance: 14 Years
Age Now: 47 YEARS

Investigating Agency: WHITEFISH POLICE DEPARTMENT, (406) 863-2420

If you have information about this individual, contact your local law enforcement agency or the Montana Missing Persons Clearinghouse, (406) 444-1526.

Source:
Missing Person Details - Montana Department of Justice

LINK:
http://doj.mt.gov/enforcement/missin...?RecordKey=898

---------------------------------------------

A little Pettinato family history...

I could not find much about Robyn's immediate family or the circumstances of her disappearance, but I did locate an obituary for a man who was probably her uncle. The article is rather lengthly and contains a lot of interesting information, but does not mention Robyn.

It would appear that Robyn's family lived in the Whitefish, Montana area for quite a long time.

-----------
OBITUARY

Frank A. Pettinato May 19, 1921 - May 15, 2004

MISSOULA - On May 19, 1921, Frank A. Pettinato was born in Whitefish to Carmello and Rafaella Pettinato who immigrated from southern Italy in the early 1900s. Frank had six brothers and one sister. ...

Frank died at home attended by his family. He is survived by his wife of nearly 58 years; children Donald of Tampa, Fla., Loretta and husband Scott of Huson; brothers Rudy and Virgil and their spouses as well as numerous nieces, nephews and cousins. He was preceded in death by his parents; his sister, Yolanda and brothers Joe, Russell, Bert and Romolo....

LINK:

http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2...its/obits4.txt

----------------------------------

I looked up the name Pettinato and found that almost a third of people in the US by that name live in Pennsylvania. The Social Securtiy Death Index lists 90 out of 317 Pettinatos in PA.

There are only a few Pettinatos listed as living or having lived in Maryland, but in 1975, some of them lived in Kensington, MD not far from the Lyon Sisters.

Robyn disappeared some time after 5 July 1975. Could she have traveled east to Maryland or Pennsylvania on her own to visit relatives that summer?

Here is a summary of cases involving the disappearance of children from March thru August 1975:

Sheila, 12, and Katherine, 10, Lyon went missing 25 March 1975, from Wheaton Plaza, MD

Steven Anderson,17, and David Williams, 12, went missing 7 April 1975 from New Lisbon, NJ

Wendy Eaton, 15, went missing 17 May 1975 from Media, PA

Edna Christine Thorne, 15, went missing 24 June 1975 from Philadelphia, PA

Tracy Anne King, 14, went missing 18 July 1975 from Littlestown, PA

Kathy Lynn Beatty, 14, was abducted, sexually assaulted, and bludgeoned on 24 July 1975, Aspen Hill, MD. She died 12 days later.

Carolyn Majane, 15, went missing Friday, 22 August 1975, from Moorestown, NJ. Her body was found in 1985, buried in a remote area.

I think it is so crazy that so many kids, all the same age went missing every month in a pretty close proximity. I have never seen any article that suggest they might be connected. I think it should be looked at by LE. I know that there is not much evidence in any of these cases, but if they could some how connect them all there might be some good information looking at a bigger picture.

I think it is so crazy that so many kids, all the same age went missing every month in a pretty close proximity. I have never seen any article that suggest they might be connected. I think it should be looked at by LE. I know that there is not much evidence in any of these cases, but if they could some how connect them all there might be some good information looking at a bigger picture.

It is hard to say whether or not any or all of these cases are related. One problem in making case comparisons is, of course, the numerous Law Enforcement agencies and areas of jurisdiction involved.

But it would seem that there are many similarities in circumstances, victim descriptions, etc, and all in such a close proximity in geography and time. Also, the fact that most are still missing.

If even two of these cases are connected, it would indicate the work of a serial killer. Coincidences do occur which would tend to make cases appear to be connected, but the odds of all of these being separate and UNconnected events would be astronomical.

Astronomical is I think a good word for that. You are right all of these cases may not be connected. I am pretty sure in the case of the Lyon sisters, it is connected to some of these disappearances.

This thread is in the Cold Case files, but I thought that I would post it here as well because of some similarities to other cases mentioned in this topic area.

-----------------------------------
Jennifer Lynn Pandos
Missing since February 10, 1987 from Williamsburg, James City County, Virginia.
Classification: Endangered Runaway

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: October 29, 1971
Age at Time of Disappearance: 15 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'2; 100 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; hazel eyes. Left-handed.
Marks, Scars: Pandos has a small mole on her left shoulder.
Clothing: Pink sweater, pink nylon waist jacket, blue jeans, white Hi top tennis shoes.
Dentals: Available.
DNA: Available.

Pandos was last seen in the Kingsmill area of Williamsburg, Virginia on February 10, 1987. Jennifer apparently left in the middle of the night through a sliding glass door on the patio.

In a note to her parents, she said she would be back in a few days and not to worry.

Pandos left her Kingsmill home, perhaps distraught over a recent break-up with her boyfriend. She never came back. All she took was her handbag.
Margie Pandos found a note, but it only raised more questions.

"Your daughter's with me. She's fine. She's having some problems and needs some time away," the note began.

Then, it switched to the first person: "I'm fine, I just need time to think. Both of you please go to work tomorrow cause I will try to call you. I won't call you at home, only at one of y'all's work.

"Do not call the police. I can easily find out if you do. I may never come back home. Don't tell my friends about this. Just tell them that I'm sick."
It didn't look like Jenny's handwriting, but police have guessed the left-handed girl might have written the note with her right hand.

Margie Pandos said she and her husband followed Jenny's instructions at first, but then notified police when she didn't call. In the weeks and months that followed, family members knocked on doors and handed out fliers, trying to find people who might have seen the teenager.

Investigators

If you have any information concerning Pandos' whereabouts, please contact:

James City County Police Department
Missing Persons Unit
Investigator Wendi Reed
757-253-1800

You may remain anonymous when submitting information to any agency.

NCMEC #: NCMC601853
NCIC Number: M-002435170

Please refer to these numbers when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:

The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
The Virginia Gazette
Daily Press
The Doe Network: Case File 376DFVA
The Charley Project

LINKS:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/376dfva.html

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/..._jennifer.html

From the Charley Project link above:

"Pandos is believed to have left of her own accord. She was a sophomore at Lafayette High School in 1987. Her parents, who moved away 1990, hope she is still alive and will return home. Her father now resides in Texas and her mother in Charlotte, North Carolina."

Comment:

I wonder if Fred Howard Coffey, Jr. is connected with this case in any way. Fred had been stationed in Norfolk, VA while in the Navy - not far from Williamsburg, and was convicted of crimes against girls about Jennifer's same age in that area back in 1975.

Coffey also lived in Charlotte, NC and was arrested, tried, and convicted of the murder of a 10-year-old girl there. In addition, he is suspected of having murdered a 5-year-old girl in Charlotte.

The big question would be "WHEN was Coffey first taken into NC police custody?" Jennifer disappeared in February 1987. By March 1987, Coffey came to the attention of Montgomery County (Maryland) Police as a possible suspect in the disappearance of two girls; Sheila Lyon (12) and her sister Kate Lyon (10). By then, he had been arrested and charged by NC authorities.

Here is another disappearance involving a young girl of small size and blonde hair.

The facts indicate that she only intended to be away from home a short time and was not a run away. It is likely that she was abducted by someone with a motor vehicle who took her away from the area quickly.

Her disappearance occurred only a month after that of Carolyn Majane and six months after that of the Lyon sisters.

---------------------------

Cassandra Nadine Landrum

Missing since September 29, 1975 from Union City, Fulton County, Georgia.
Classification: Involuntary

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: August 26, 1957
Age at Time of Disappearance: 18 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'1; 100 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde hair; hazel eyes.
Marks, Scars: Small scar on her forehead
Clothing: Blue jeans and two red shirts, one short sleeved and one long. She was barefoot.
AKA: Sandra

Landrum was last seen leaving her family's home in Union City, Georgia on September 29, 1975. She intended to use a pay phone, which was a short distance from her house. Landrum was never seen or heard from again.

Her parents received anonymous phone calls after her disappearance, during which the caller informed them that Landrum had been murdered.

She has never been located.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning Landrum's whereabouts, please contact:

Union City Police Department
Chief Isome
770-306-6862

All information may be submitted on an anonymous basis.

NCIC Number: M-768525715

Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:

Child Protection Education of America
The Doe Network: Case File 210DFGA

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/210dfga.html

Michigan is some distance from Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and some of the other case sites mentioned in this thread, but note the timeframe, circumstances, and victim description. All of which put this case in the ball park of the other disappearances and attacks mentioned.

----------------------------------------------
Nadine O'Dell
Missing since August 16, 1974 from Inkster, Wayne County, Michigan
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: March 14, 1958
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'1"; 105 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Strawberry blonde hair; green eyes.
Clothing: White t-shirt with blue faded baggy jeans.
She was wearing her boyfriend's Taylor High School ring on a chain around her neck.

O'Dell was last seen shortly after 9:30 a.m. walking down John Daly Road toward Michigan Avenue in Inkster, Michigan on August 16, 1974.

On this day, Nadine was going to baby sit at her boyfriends house. She never showed up at her destination in Taylor.

Her boyfriend was on the way to meet her and arrived 20 minutes later and did not cross paths with her.

Investigators

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Inkster Police Department 313-563-9850

Source Information:

The Doe Network: Case File 1589DFMI

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1589dfmi.html

Cheryl Ann Moser Iacovone

Missing since July 12, 1977 from Secane, Delaware County, Pennsylvania.

Classification: Non-Family

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: April 22, 1960
Age at time of disappearance: 17
Height: 5 feet 8 inches
Weight: 120 Pounds
Hair: Blonde
Eyes: Green
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female

Cheryl Anne Moser Iacovone was last seen walking to a friend's house in Secane, Pennsylvania on July 12, 1977.

Investigators

If you have any information concerning Iacovone's whereabouts, please contact:

Ridley Township Police Department Missing Persons Unit: 610-532-4000

NCMEC #: NCMC603887

NCIC Number: M-363861568

Please refer to these numbers when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/197dfpa.html

The following was posted in Websleuths Cold Case Files recently. I thought that there might be some similarities between it and other cases discussed and posted in this thread.

---------------------------------
Ashboro, NC -- Christine Marie Wright, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Wright, was found dead Saturday. She had been abducted from from her home in February.

The girl's body was found floating face down in a creek early Saturday night, a little more than two months after she disappeared from the apartment where her parents then lived.

An autopsy indicated the child was alive when she was thrown in the water.

On the evening of February 12, 1974, Kenneth Wright and his wife Linda put 7 year-old Christine Marie to bed around 9:30. The couple and their four children were living in an apartment in Chester, VA, awaiting the completion of their new home. It was the last time the family would see the blonde-haired, blue-eyed second grader alive.

At 6:30 the next morning, Christine was gone. The apartment was locked, but they found a sliding glass door which led to a patio open. Local police were baffled by the disappearance. Kenneth stated, "We don't know of anything that was troubling her. It may have been something deeper we didn't know about". Mother Linda simply said they had had no trouble with her. A religious family, the father told reporters they were "relying on our faith and belief".

The couple seemed to be trying to reason why Christine would run away...As though the idea of Christine being kidnapped was out of the question for them.

The only clue was a report by neighbors that they had seen a stranger in the area around 10:30 the previous night who had been chased off by dogs. The man was described as six feet tall, around 175 pounds, dark-complected with a medium-length beard.

A nation-wide search was initiated. The FBI were reportedly following leads in CT and nearby NC. No substantial leads were developed.

On April 20th, 1974, little Christine's body was found in White Oak Creek near the town of Dinwiddie. LE stated that the killer had to have known the area, as the location where she was found was the widest and deepest section of the creek. She was found about 100 yards downstream of a bridge. Any further upstream and the creek was choked with debris and shrubbery. Christine was still dressed in the pink nightie she had been wearing the night she disappeared. LE stated it was likely she was placed in the stream the night she was kidnapped.

The VA MEs office conducted an autopsy. Little Christine had been sexually assaulted, and was alive when dumped in the creek.

Used, then tossed aside to die.

The investigation into her death went nowhere. Suspects were interviewed, but no new information was discovered.

Two years later, in February of 1976, Christine was exhumed. A second autopsy was conducted by the VA and NC medical examiners. Newspapers speculated that there was a new lead, some new direction in the investigation.
Authorities wouldn't reveal the exact reason, but stated that there was "hope there might be new information to come from the exam...(and) provide additional evidence". Her parents weren't even notified of the exhumation, instead they found out about it from relatives in NC.

As it turns out, the reason for the exam was far more mundane. The original ME who had conducted the initial autopsy had passed away. Due to a change in VA law, if Christine's case ever made it to court, the ME's reports would not be sufficient to secure a prosecution. The ME had to testify in person, therefore the new ME conducted an additional autopsy.

No new info was discovered. ...

Chesterfield cold case homicides
1974: Nine-year-old Christine Wright was found dead in a creek in Dinwiddie County after disappearing from her apartment on Chestertowne Road. ...

LINK:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68715

Valerie Seibert 16
From Philadelphia PA

She[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] was discovered on 4 March 1975 lying in a field near Second Street Pike and Swamp Road in Wrightstown, Bucks County, PA by a farmer. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Seibert, who was an 11th-grader at George Washington High School in Philadelphia, was missing for two days from her home in on Chilton Road in Northeast Philadelphia. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Police also said they believed that Seibert was shot twice on the farm. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The case is unsolved. [/FONT]

This case is posted on a few other boards in Websleuths, but I thought that there were some interesting similarities between it and some of the other cases posted in this thread. These two sisters are also missing under suspicious circumstances.

Although they disappeared about 8 years after Sheila and Katherine, note their general descriptions and circumstances.

----------------------------------------------------------

Josephine Yvette Cogburn

Missing since October 2, 1983 from Norman, Oklahoma
Origionally from Broken Bow, McCurtain County, Oklahoma.
Classification: Non-Family Abduction

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: April 10, 1967
Age at Time of Disappearance: 16 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'1"; 128 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; blue eyes.
Tattoos: Josephine has "VETTE" with a swirl underneath in script lettering inside of the foot, near the toes.

NCMEC #: NCMC600777
NCIC Number: M-109005800

--------------------------------------------------------

Joyce Irene Cogburn

Missing since October 2, 1983 from Norman, Oklahoma.
Origionally from Broken Bow, McCurtain County, Oklahoma.
Classification: Non-Family Abduction

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: May 10, 1968
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'3; 116 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde hair; brown eyes.

NCMEC #: NCMC600777
NCIC Number: M-109006699

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Josephine (16) and her younger sister, Joyce (15), from Broken Bow, Oklahoma were staying with an adult male friend of their family, in a Norman apartment in October 1983.

The friend, reported them missing. He claimed that both Josephine and Joyce ran away from him. He stated that he last saw them when they left to go to the library.

Neither girl has been seen or heard from since.

The girls had moved to Norman (in Cleveland County, Oklahoma) after having some problems at home in Broken Bow.

It is possible that the girls were involved in drugs, but there is no evidence proving a drug connection.

Their names, birth certificates and social security numbers have not been used since their disappearance. The friend of the family has been interviewed about their disappearance several times.

Police suspect that foul play was involved.

Investigators

If you have any information concerning the Cogburn sisters' cases, please contact:

Norman Police Department
Missing Persons Unit
405-366-5211
Email: NormanPD@NormanOK.gov

OR
Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation
1-800-522-8017
Email: tips@osbi.state.ok.us

All information may be submitted on an anonymous basis.

Source Information:
The Daily Oklahoman
The Doenetwork Case File 98DFOK (Josephine)
The Doenetwork Case File 99DFOK (Joyce)
The Charley Project

LINKS:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/98dfok.html (Josephine)

http://www.charleyproject.org/images...sephine_ap.jpg (Josephine)

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/99dfok.html (Joyce)

http://www.charleyproject.org/images...n_joyce_ap.jpg (Joyce)

While I did not know the Lyons girls personally I was born in Maryland and lived quite close to Wheaton at the time of their disappearance. I was in Kindergarten when they disappeared and remember the fear that swept through our community. Everything changed after they went missing. We were all driven to school, picked up, could not play in the front or side yard...it shaped me into the mother I am today.

Also, my father was in the National Guard after the Marines and I remember watching the searches for the girls on a Saturday morning and looking for my father, sure that he would be the one who brought them home, safe and sound. But, that never happened.

God bless them, wherever they are.

I just joined up today -- specifically for the Caylee Anthony case. I now live in Orlando, but I am from Maryland (Bowie).

I was surprised to see threads on the Lyon girls. It has been so long. They disappeared in 1975, just after I started dating my husband. My husband has several younger sisters who are blonde and about the same ages as the Lyon girls. Shortly after the disappearance, my father-in-law was pulled over by the police. He was driving with a couple of my sisters-in-law in the car, and the police wanted to be sure they were not the Lyon girls.

We have never forgotten those girls. It's nice to see that others remember them, too.

I just joined up today -- specifically for the Caylee Anthony case. I now live in Orlando, but I am from Maryland (Bowie).

I was surprised to see threads on the Lyon girls. It has been so long. They disappeared in 1975, just after I started dating my husband. My husband has several younger sisters who are blonde and about the same ages as the Lyon girls. Shortly after the disappearance, my father-in-law was pulled over by the police. He was driving with a couple of my sisters-in-law in the car, and the police wanted to be sure they were not the Lyon girls.

We have never forgotten those girls. It's nice to see that others remember them, too.

Welcome to Websleuths! I have been to Bowie, MD. many times.

If you read the thread about "The Tape Recorder Man", you will see that someone fitting his description was seen with a tape recorder talking to girls at the Bowie Shopping Center (as well as other malls) some time prior to the day the Lyon sisters disappeared.

That is interesting about your father in law being pulled over. What type of car did he drive? Around that time there was a lot of interest in finding a 1968 tan Ford Station Wagon because of a reported possible sighting of the girls in Manassass, VA on 7 April 1975.

Welcome to Websleuths! I have been to Bowie, MD. many times.

If you read the thread about "The Tape Recorder Man", you will see that someone fitting his description was seen with a tape recorder talking to girls at the Bowie Shopping Center (as well as other malls) some time prior to the day the Lyon sisters disappeared.

That is interesting about your father in law being pulled over. What type of car did he drive? Around that time there was a lot of interest in finding a 1968 tan Ford Station Wagon because of a reported possible sighting of the girls in Manassass, VA on 7 April 1975.

Thanks for the welcome, Richard. I lived in Bowie for most of my life, until I moved to Florida in 1987. It was a great place to grow up, and I really miss Maryland. Interestingly, my father-in-law DID have a Ford station wagon -- a Country Squire. It was a huge, green behemoth. I remember that car because my husband loved it. He even took his driver's license exam in it! After we got married in 1977, he wanted to take it with us. I said no. Ha!

No wonder my father-in-law got pulled over. Driving a Ford wagon (although the wrong color) in Bowie with two blonde girls in it. If he had had more of his kids (5 girls, 1 boy) in the car, he probably wouldn't have been noticed. Sadly, my father-in-law died in 1991, so I can't ask him about it.

When I get a bit of time to myself, I am going to read each entry in the threads on the Lyon girls. So happy they are remembered.

Thanks for the welcome, Richard. I lived in Bowie for most of my life, until I moved to Florida in 1987. It was a great place to grow up, and I really miss Maryland. Interestingly, my father-in-law DID have a Ford station wagon -- a Country Squire. It was a huge, green behemoth. I remember that car because my husband loved it. He even took his driver's license exam in it! After we got married in 1977, he wanted to take it with us. I said no. Ha!

No wonder my father-in-law got pulled over. Driving a Ford wagon (although the wrong color) in Bowie with two blonde girls in it. If he had had more of his kids (5 girls, 1 boy) in the car, he probably wouldn't have been noticed. Sadly, my father-in-law died in 1991, so I can't ask him about it.

When I get a bit of time to myself, I am going to read each entry in the threads on the Lyon girls. So happy they are remembered.

My grandparents lived in Bowie too!! On Keswick Lane...small world:)

The Wash. Post stated last wk. that an 11 yr. old girl dissapeared while walking to Westfield Shopping Plaza (Wheaton Plaza), about 3:15 PM. on 22Jan09. She lives at Hollow Glen Pl. in Silver Spring, MD. If you look at a map, she may have used some of the route used by the Lyon Girls 34 yrs. ago. The girls' age is similar, the time frame is too, but she was headed toward the plaza, & the Lyon Girls were headed home.

I doubt seriously if these 2 are connected, but it is something to talk & or think about. What do you all think? Although I haven't seen or heard anything else about this girl, it is possible she's been located, by now.

That's very interesting.Do you have the child's name? I was thinking that TRM would maybe be too old for that case,but Steven Stayner's abducter,Kenneth Parnell,was 71 and still trying to aquire yet another little boy so ya never know. I wish we knew TRM's real age at the time of the girls abduction.

I do know that the guy (Fred Coffey), who I think was TRM, was about 30 yrs. old back in Mar75. He ain't kidnapping anyone these days, (thank God) while pulling that 'little life sentence'.:behindbar

As for the little missing girl in Wheaton, her name is Jennifer Alicia Zelaya.

Thanks Jeb. One can only hope that Mr.Coffey is getting a dose of his own med!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back