MA MA - Molly Bish, 16, Warren, 27 Jun 2000

MOLLY ANN BISH (16) - lifeguard abducted from her post at Comins Pond in Warren 06/27/00; remains identified 06/09/03
WARREN, Massachusetts

Families unite in grief and loss
Loved ones attend crime victims' vigils and tell stories of violence and sadness

COLONIE -- Liza Warner rests in peace, but her mother's pain over her murder is no less raw than that of Doug and Mary Lyall, who still wait for word of their daughter Suzanne, missing for seven years.
On Sunday in Saratoga Springs, at the annual candlelight vigil for crime victims, Martha Lasher-Warner told the story of Liza Warner, who was killed in October by her husband.

In Latham on Sunday, the Lyalls led the fourth annual state Missing Persons' Day. Some of the parents who stood alongside the Lyalls already know the fate of their missing loved one; John and Magi Bish of West Warren, Mass., buried their daughter Molly after she was missing for three years.

Lasher-Warner recounted talking to her daughter the night she was killed. Warner called to tell her mother that she had installed new deadbolts to keep her abusive husband out of their house. After he broke through the back door "with such force, it took the deadbolts off their hinges," Russell Warner shot his 29-year-old wife to death before turning the gun on himself at the couple's home in Princetown, Lasher Warner said.

"At 10 o'clock she said, 'I love you mommy'... by 11 she was dead," she said through tears at the Presbyterian-New England Congregational Church on Circular Street. A scroll inscribed with the names of New York's crime victims was rolled out in front of Lasher-Warner, its length reaching the end of the church pews.

Amid a gathering of elected officials and families and friends of crime victims, Peter Keenan cried quietly throughout the vigil. When the time came to light candles and speak about the victims, he named Laurie DiLorenzo and described the Glens Falls woman as his soulmate. DiLorenzo was shot and killed, allegedly by her estranged husband, in February.

The vigils were not limited to people affected by the loss of loved ones. Mark Gauthier, 45, of Colonie, told the story of the 1971 car crash that took both his legs when he was 11. He was collecting a pizza for his family when a drunken driver collided with the deliveryman's car, pinning Gauthier. He almost died in the hospital, and doctors were forced to amputate his legs near the hip because of gangrene, Gauthier said. Sunday, he attended the vigil with his wife, Myrtle, and 13-year-old daughter, Sarah. Gauthier seizes any opportunity to educate people about the dangers of driving drunk, he said.

The Lyalls and the Bish family channel their grief into organizations that both help other families of missing people and keep their daughters' faces in the public eye.

While the Lyalls know nothing about their daughter's whereabouts, the Bishes are still looking for Molly Bish's killer.

"Every time we talk to a new family, we relive what happened to us," said Doug Lyall. "But we can offer understanding and advice because we've been there and it makes us feel good about what we're doing, even if in our own situation we're helpless."

John and Magi Bish founded The Molly Bish Center for the Protection of Children and Elderly at Anna Maria College. Magi Bish said they have distributed 90,000 child identification kits.

She carries small cards in her purse inscribed with a prayer and a photograph of her daughter dressed up for a prom, taken shortly before she was abducted. Mother and daughter look alike, sharing the same jaw line and blond hair.

"I cut mine a little shorter, so I would look just a little more like her," Magi Bish said.

Family and friends of Audrey Herron wear her picture on their T-shirts. Herron went missing Aug. 29, 2002. Her husband, Jeff; sister-in-law, Stacy Herron; and mother-in-law, Patricia Conrad, were at Missing Persons Day on Sunday. Stacy Herron is preparing to participate in Sara's Ride for Missing Children, a memorial bicycle trek named for Sara Anne Wood.
http://timesunion.com/AspStories/st...ategory=REGION&BCCode=HOME&newsdate=4/11/2005

nicbok said:
Do you know what the Bish's opinion on it is? Who do they believe killed Molly?

I'm sorry, but even if I knew that information I wouldn't share it here. Some things are not meant to go public. Anyone can be reading this. I think I remember John saying the Grand Jury is still open. That information should be public if you can find it.

I would like to share that the Molly Bish Foundation has done child identity kits for over 75,000 children. They hope to break 100,000 this year. John and Magi are working hard to protect children with this and other programs.

RCOOKE said:
I'm sorry, but even if I knew that information I wouldn't share it here. Some things are not meant to go public. Anyone can be reading this. I think I remember John saying the Grand Jury is still open. That information should be public if you can find it.

I would like to share that the Molly Bish Foundation has done child identity kits for over 75,000 children. They hope to break 100,000 this year. John and Magi are working hard to protect children with this and other programs.
No problem, I worded it badly, I didn't mean an actual name, what I meant was if they thought it was a random stranger abduction and someone the police have not found yet or if it was one of the hundreds police had already talked to. I'm not 100% familiar with your law system - does the Grand Jury just confirm it was a homicide by persons unknown? It doesn't deal with any suspects etc? It would be the same as our Coroner's Inquest I suppose.

RCOOKE said:

Oh and I also apologize for asking, it was a silly thing to ask. Of course that information would be private. Can you tell us some more about the child identity kits?

I just went to your website Mr Cooke and what a completely beautiful daughter you have. I was in tears reading your story. Praying that Rachel comes home to you.

I have an Australian Missing Persons site and have just been working with a family whose 27 yr old son was missing, it's true here also that it's difficult to get older missing persons taken seriously.

Nicole
www.supernerd.com.au/~glittercot

Marking the five years since Molly Bish vanished from her lifeguard station at a town pond, the town of Warren plans to gather to remember the slain teenager this evening. The remembrance is being held a day after a fund-raising caravan of nearly 1,300 motorcyclists rode through Central Massachusetts to help other abducted children come home safely. For John and Magdalen Bish, today's anniversary of their daughter's disappearance remains emotionally punishing. The day sharpens the pain of their loss and the memories of her disappearance, they said.

The Worcester district attorney's office announced last week that the investigation had uncovered new leads in the Bish case, but did not release specifics, citing the secrecy of grand jury proceedings. There have been no arrests. More than 250 witnesses have been called and more than 70 exhibits have been examined, authorities said.

While grateful to the grand jury for its work, John Bish said he has mixed emotions about breaks in the case. He wants Molly's killer to be found and punished, but is wary of reliving the past through a trial. ''In some ways, I don't really want a trial," he said. ''My greatest concern right now is to bring peace to my family."

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma..._disappearance_remembered_on_5th_anniversary/

What an awesome site, mysteriew! Maybe you should post it to the Jessica's Law thread or the sexoffender.com thread as well.

JerseyGirl said:
What an awesome site, mysteriew! Maybe you should post it to the Jessica's Law thread or the sexoffender.com thread as well.

Thank you and I will!

I went to the mapsexoffenders.com site. It is an excellent site! My state, Wisconsin, unfortunaltly is not on it. It said Wisconsin does not provide street addresses of sex offenders. That kinda pissed me off! 38 other sites see the need to do it, and keep their children state, but not my state. Now I am wondering what I can do about it. Any suggestions.

lostfaith said:
I went to the mapsexoffenders.com site. It is an excellent site! My state, Wisconsin, unfortunaltly is not on it. It said Wisconsin does not provide street addresses of sex offenders. That kinda pissed me off! 38 other sites see the need to do it, and keep their children state, but not my state. Now I am wondering what I can do about it. Any suggestions.

First verify: Check the national sex offender database, and your states sex offender database. If they don't list the offenders addresses, then you complain/let others know. Letters to your state reps. Letters and emails to local media. Letters to the media, local radio channels often have community talk shows, letters to the editor of local papers. Try to get others to make complaints also. Try to get others to complain also. The more public complaints the more likely that the elected officials will listen. Point out that other states are listing the offenders home addresses and many are listing their work addresses. (Then throw in a plea to get life sentences for second convictions/or to get GPS on them). Emphasize how important it is to monitor the sex offenders/ how prevalent the problem is/ how everyone should have the right to know when they have a rapist or child molester living next door.

lostfaith said:
Congress.org -- Write To Congress, the President and State Legislators

Congress.org - Find National and Local Media

Here you can write to legislators on the federal, state, and local levels and find both local and national media. I would type up a good, concise letter, and start sending it off to anyone and everyone that you can.

Mysteriew also is right about making people aware, and getting them to join your fight.

thanks, Jersey and Mysteriew, good ideas, I will definately look into it. I did check the state website and the local police dept. website and they do not list addresses. one website tells you only what county they are in, the other tells you the city or town, but not where in that town. I am glad there were only 3 listed for my town, actually it is a village, but in a town of only under a thousand people, 3 is a lot! And I would like to know exactly where in my village those 3 are. They did not care about their victims privacy, why should we be concerned with thiers?

Thanx for the ideas, I will look into them.

lostfaith said:
They did not care about their victims privacy, why should we be concerned with thiers?
That's the worst ... I'd rather know nothing at all than to know 1/2 of the information. They give you just enough to be paranoid rather than informed. Makes no sense whatsoever.

lostfaith said:
thanks, Jersey and Mysteriew, good ideas, I will definately look into it. I did check the state website and the local police dept. website and they do not list addresses. one website tells you only what county they are in, the other tells you the city or town, but not where in that town. I am glad there were only 3 listed for my town, actually it is a village, but in a town of only under a thousand people, 3 is a lot! And I would like to know exactly where in my village those 3 are. They did not care about their victims privacy, why should we be concerned with thiers?

Thanx for the ideas, I will look into them.

Good way to put it. And don't let yourself get discouraged, you can make a difference in your state. But it won't come easy. It will take a lot of talking, and a lot of letters. But, keep in mind a lot of legislators may be thinking of this but are waiting for the public to ask for it.

When a Connecticut salesman was charged with trying to kidnap a New York teenager from her school parking lot Halloween night, police believed it was a random, isolated abduction attempt.

Two weeks later, the man whose work van contained a tarp and a noose that night in Saratoga Springs, N.Y., is being investigated in at least three states for unsolved sex and murder cases.

Investigators are looking at crimes dating back as far as 1988 to see if there's a connection to 49-year-old John Regan, a married father of three now facing his second kidnapping charge in just over a year.

Detectives are reviewing Regan's business trips to Sturbridge, Mass., to see whether he was in nearby Warren when 16-year-old lifeguard Molly Bish disappeared on June 27, 2000.

"I'm glad they're looking at him," said Molly's father, John Bish, who discussed Regan's case with investigators. "I'm glad they're taking things seriously."

Across upstate New York, state troopers are reviewing abduction cases.
http://cbs4boston.com/local/local_story_317155601.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back