NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know how long it will take to ID the remains? TIA

Without the skull, they will probably try to pull DNA, which could take awhile, and then hope they had a sample to compare to. Not likely, if the person was not reported missing. However, sounds like they are continuing the search with further digging to find other bones....and hopefully the jaw/teeth for a quicker ID---again hoping the dental records are available to compare.

Without the skull, they will probably try to pull DNA, which could take awhile, and then hope they had a sample to compare to. Not likely, if the person was not reported missing. However, sounds like they are continuing the search with further digging to find other bones....and hopefully the jaw/teeth for a quicker ID---again hoping the dental records are available to compare.

Actually in a case like this his family could request mitochondrial DNA testing to see if it excludes Steven Koecher. Mitochondrial DNA testing for identification would be prefered since Steven has living relatives.

Kelly

I don't think it's SK's body in Tooele. FYI, Steven had light pants on in the video, but it doesn't mean it was the last thing he was wearing.

I'll say one thing. If it is SK in Tooele, then I think there is a good possibility of SP being very close too.

I actually thought that is was jeans that he was wearing. I have a pair of levi's that are very faded and almost look white. But he may have been wearing a pair of kaki's too.

Kelly

I guess that many are out doing something on Friday night. I have had some extra time for the past couple of weeks to try and work on this.

I watched disappeared again, and this is very sad. This is not a hobby, in that Steven is someone's son, brother, friend and if this happen to my brother i would be grief stricken beyond belief.

There is got to be somewhere to go on this. Someone, someway knows what in the world happen to this guy. People just don't vanish off the face of the earth for no reason.

If anyone knows what happened to Steven Koecher have some guts and come forward and say something. Don't be a coward.

In the mean time we all keep trying to figure this out. Something has got to break eventually.

Kelly

You know I just thought of something. Craig Retke said in the show Disappeared that Steven may have met someone on the street who told him about a meeting.

I remember that I was in a bookstore years ago. I was in the psychology section and a man approached me and asked me to come to a business meeting where I could make a "ton of money." The man turned out to be a Amway distributor. I know there are so many MLM's out there such as A.L. Williams, Amway, Melaluka. Prime Financial is a huge MLM nowadays and these people who recruit can be very deceptive by telling a prospect that they will be getting a job and make alot of money the first month.

That might be another route to go. Find out if anyone in that neighborhood was hooked into some kind of multi-level marketing platform such as Amway.

Kelly

Actually in a case like this his family could request mitochondrial DNA testing to see if it excludes Steven Koecher. Mitochondrial DNA testing for identification would be prefered since Steven has living relatives.

Kelly

I would think they prolly have Steven's DNA itself. From his toothbrush, comb or brush, unwashed glass or cup in his car or home, etc. Mitochondrial, which would be from the mother, would not be needed.

I guess that many are out doing something on Friday night. I have had some extra time for the past couple of weeks to try and work on this.

I watched disappeared again, and this is very sad. This is not a hobby, in that Steven is someone's son, brother, friend and if this happen to my brother i would be grief stricken beyond belief.

There is got to be somewhere to go on this. Someone, someway knows what in the world happen to this guy. People just don't vanish off the face of the earth for no reason.

If anyone knows what happened to Steven Koecher have some guts and come forward and say something. Don't be a coward.

In the mean time we all keep trying to figure this out. Something has got to break eventually.

Kelly

I thought today was Thursday?

I would think they prolly have Steven's DNA itself. From his toothbrush, comb or brush, unwashed glass or cup in his car or home, etc. Mitochondrial, which would be from the mother, would not be needed.

Actually mitochondrial is mainly from the father but can be from any relative. That is how they were able to identify the body of Jesse James by comparing is DNA to a great grand daughter.

Kelly

Actually mitochondrial is mainly from the father but can be from any relative. That is how they were able to identify the body of Jesse James by comparing is DNA to a great grand daughter.

Kelly

mitochondrial DNA is always passed down through the mother alone. It can be compared in this case from the mother, siblings, or the mother's siblings. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_DNA

"Many researchers believe that mtDNA is better suited to identification of older skeletal remains than nuclear DNA because the greater number of copies of mtDNA per cell increases the chance of obtaining a useful sample, and because a match with a living relative is possible even if numerous maternal generations separate the two. American outlaw Jesse James's remains were identified using a comparison between mtDNA extracted from his remains and the mtDNA of the son of the female-line great-granddaughter of his sister."

Watched Steven's "Disappeared" episode again today.

WHERE ARE YOU STEVEN???!!!

Ran across this pic today while on another case and just thought he looked like SK. This weatherman would have a southern drawl tho....no Russian accent.
brian-smith-large.jpg

I stand corrected in that I had it backwards. The Y chromosone is transferred from father to son and mtDNA is maternal.

Kelly

mitochondrial DNA is always passed down through the mother alone. It can be compared in this case from the mother, siblings, or the mother's siblings. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_DNA

"Many researchers believe that mtDNA is better suited to identification of older skeletal remains than nuclear DNA because the greater number of copies of mtDNA per cell increases the chance of obtaining a useful sample, and because a match with a living relative is possible even if numerous maternal generations separate the two. American outlaw Jesse James's remains were identified using a comparison between mtDNA extracted from his remains and the mtDNA of the son of the female-line great-granddaughter of his sister."

I stand corrected in that I had it backwards. The Y Chromosone is transmitted from father to son and mtDNA is always from the mother.

Kelly

http://mhds.nv.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=73&Itemid=82

This is located right between the last two cell phone pings that SK's cell phone sent out before going dark. With HIPAA laws, he could be in the system and his providers couldn't confirm or give out any info, nor would LE necessarily be aware unless they observed SK coming or going.

Very good thought! I mentioned here on WS, my sister was getting help from Valley mental Health, and was in a homeless shelter, and I could not find her anywhere! She was less than a half hour away from me.

http://mhds.nv.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=73&Itemid=82

This is located right between the last two cell phone pings that SK's cell phone sent out before going dark. With HIPAA laws, he could be in the system and his providers couldn't confirm or give out any info, nor would LE necessarily be aware unless they observed SK coming or going.

that is an outpatient clinic and for someone who supposedly had a rapid psychotic break that would be a pretty quick visit to the outpatient clinic the next day (if he was picked up by anyone, he would go to ER not outpatient). health care providers are allowed to give some information to next of kin unless someone says not to, we do it all the time. if you get in a serious car accident, even if you don't have a note that says call my wife or mom, that's what they are supposed to do. Also usually medical facilities are able to confirm if someone is admitted if someone asks but not specific details see here: http://www.aha.org/aha/advisory/2003/030201-media-adv.html
and here for info for NOK: http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/faq/disclosures_to_friends_and_family/488.html
http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/faq/disclosures_to_friends_and_family/530.html
http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/faq/disclosures_to_friends_and_family/531.html

It is about what is in the best interest to the patient, and not sharing more than what is relevant and need to know for family members.

What if Steven had sought or been provided treatment at this outpatient facility? He's obviously not housed there and the actual specifics of any treatment are not really relevant to determining where he is now.

I guess the significance is that if he did receive treatment there, it would let us know where he was 24 hrs after being in the SCA neighborhood.

It would also give searchers a place to start showing his picture around to see if anyone recognizes him. Most people will return to the same clinic or physician to renew their prescriptions. If he still is or if he ever did receive treatment there, someone might remember him...or there is the off chance that searchers might encounter him as he's returning for an appt.

Asking the right questions in the right way to the right people could provide answers without violating HIPAA or 42 CFR Part 2. It might let us know if he is alive or when he was last seen.

I don't think that the fact that this MH Clinic is located almost dead center between the last 2 pings is something to be quickly dismissed or ignored considering there is mention of him being on meds, described as depressed or sad, and experiencing anxiety during day to day activities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong